Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux! | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Providence is a rival to me. People circle the game on the calendar. Easy enough for fans of both schools to travel to each other. They've beaten us plenty of times in the last 15 years than i care to remember . Creighton/Xavier/MU could turn into rivals as well, if we can bother beating them.
In all candor, you and six or seven other guys (all boneyarders) view PC as a rival. To the rest of us they're just a conference opponent of limited gravitas who happens to be close geographically. Not really any different than St John's or Seton Hall are or what UMass and URI were many decades ago.

Of far more importance, those who can and do make decisions (and therefore validate a rivalry) secured a non-conference series with Villanova when we were still in the AAC. That was the only current BE school we did that with.

Reaction Score
In all candor, you and six or seven other guys (all boneyarders) view PC as a rival. To the rest of us they're just a conference opponent of limited gravitas who happens to be close geographically. Not really any different than St John's or Seton Hall are or what UMass and URI were many decades ago.

Of far more importance, those who can and do make decisions (and therefore validate a rivalry) secured a non-conference series with Villanova when we were still in the AAC. That was the only current BE school we did that with.

Do we still consider Syracuse our rival then? We haven't played them in almost 5 years.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Do we still consider Syracuse our rival then? We haven't played them in almost 5 years.
We did play them a handful of times the first few years we weren't in the same conference but obviously (rivalries are a two way street) there wasn't sufficient belief on at least one of the two sides that a series was worth continuing.

Today it is not a rivalry. I imagine that it is possible that it could be rebuilt but I don't see that happening.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We did play them a handful of times the first few years we weren't in the same conference but obviously (rivalries are a two way street) there wasn't sufficient belief on at least one of the two sides that a series was worth continuing.

Today it is not a rivalry. I imagine that it is possible that it could be rebuilt but I don't see that happening.
I don't know that we have "a rival" per se. But there are definitely teams that I particularly enjoy beating. Syracuse is one of them. BCU I would just like to see fall into a sinkhole.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't know that we have "a rival" per se. But there are definitely teams that I particularly enjoy beating. Syracuse is one of them. BCU I would just like to see fall into a sinkhole.
I think it's different for all of us. Living close to PC and going to most of the old BE games at the Dunk PC and Nova are the only current BE teams I feel that way about. Seton Hall had about 3 good years with PJ and St. Johns hasn't been relevant since Mullin/Berry were there with Lou. Don't really care about either.

It's the reality of all the change we've seen that we've had no consistent annual opponent year after year since the split. I think we can build new rivals in any league. Creighton is closest to becoming one in the Big East.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Creighton is closest to becoming one in the Big East.
Sick Paramount Network GIF by Yellowstone

Reaction Score

Syracuse is not worthy-no need to strengthen their RPI :)

Reaction Score

Ok, but what do you consider a rivalry? To me a passionate disdain for a team or fanbase in close proximity to UConn would seem to me be the case. Is your argument exclusively because of their lack of success? Few teams can match UConn's accomplishments.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Ok, but what do you consider a rivalry? To me a passionate disdain for a team or fanbase in close proximity to UConn would seem to me be the case. Is your argument exclusively because of their lack of success? Few teams can match UConn's accomplishments.
Providence is definitely a rival. If you don’t think so you also think UConn is getting into the Big 12.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Using your definition, why isn't UMass a rival? BC?

Just because we are geographically close and have some level of disdain for their fan base doesn't make it a rivalry.

Levels of success does play a role. We won more NCAA tournament games this past spring than they have this past quarter century. They were an afterthought (even though they were exceptionally good by their standards) when we were in the AAC and within a season of no longer being in the same conference (if it does happen) they again will be an afterthought.

Reaction Score

Just because we are geographically close and have some level of disdain for their fan base doesn't make it a rivalry.

Levels of success does play a role. We won more NCAA tournament games this past spring than they have this past quarter century. They were an afterthought (even though they were exceptionally good by their standards) when we were in the AAC and within a season of no longer being in the same conference (if it does happen) they again will be an afterthought.

This is literally what makes most rivalries.

Reaction Score

We havent played UMass in almost 20 years and probably close to 15 for BC.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

I generally agree but am I miss remembering a Georgetown series while we were in the AAC?

If I had to rank “rivals” I’d say:
Syracuse
Villanova
Georgetown

Wherever we go we’ll make new ones.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
This is literally what makes most rivalries.
So you believe that we are rivals with UMass and BC. We aren't very friendly with their fan base and I believe their fan base holds even more animosity towards us.

Reaction Score
That seems to be the thing people have been saying and everyone who is so hyped about the Big 12 is spinning for no reason. UConn obviously won't turn down an invite but I think it will hurt the basketball program somewhat and the travel will suck.
Not sure how it will hurt unless you don’t think they can compete with the big boys. DH finally showed he is capable of competing in the tournament. The days of transfer portal and nil are here. UConn is capable.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Were the Red Sox a rival of the Yankees before 2004? Were the Cubs a rival of the Cardinals before 2016?
Yes. Sox and Yankees battled long before 2004. Most notably 1978, but back to the 60s as well.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I do not really understand why the ACC is so shortsighted as to no wanting to bring UConn into their conference. The ACC is never going to come close to the SEC or B1G in football appeal regardless of the success of Clemson and FSU. They could solidify the eastern basketball market and get a true New England/NYC foothold by inviting UConn.

The Big-12 is smart enough to see the value of elite basketball. The ACC just seems to have blinders on. They have already lost geographical market to the B1G w/ Maryland and Rutgers. Now they can sit back and lose more when UConn goes elsewhere.
The reason why the ACC won’t invite us now is because they already have members unhappy with their payouts. Adding UConn to dilute that further (doubtful ESPN kicks in more if it’s not in the current contract).

With that said, even knowing as a fan that the ACC has a death date in 2036, that would be my preference if we left the Big East.

But my brain also tells me the Big 12 is the “safer” lifeboat. Because when the ACC implodes, about 8 teams will be looking for a home w/ a big TV contract (probably Big 12). I don’t want to have to compete with Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt, etc. for those limited spots… I want us to have a seat at the table.

Reaction Score
So you believe that we are rivals with UMass and BC. We aren't very friendly with their fan base and I believe their fan base holds even more animosity towards us.

I don't understand your argument. You have to actually play the teams to keep a rivalry. If we were playing both teams year in and out then sure.

Reaction Score
Yes. Sox and Yankees battled long before 2004. Most notably 1978, but back to the 60s as well.
Yeah but the Red Sox and Cubs didn't win anything for generations while the Yankees and Cardinals were both winning boatloads of World Series.

The argument that Providence isn't a rival because UConn is the far superior program is stupid. UConn battled them over the years.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I don't understand your argument. You have to actually play the teams to keep a rivalry. If we were playing both teams year in and out then sure.
I imagine this means Seton Hall and St John's are also rivals. Is this what you are claiming?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom