Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux! | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux!

Reaction Score
Getting off track, but there is absolutely an asymmetry here.

When Providence plays us, it's their Super Bowl.
When we play Providence, it's one of like 10 games at that level of importance to us.
This.

Providence could only be considered a rival by default. Syracuse, Pitt, and BC were all bigger rivals before they left, and Villanova and Cuse are still bigger rivals. Cinci is a bigger game/rival than Providence thanks to our shared time in the AAC.

Reaction Score
UConn series lead 41-30. Avg score 73-70. Always seems to be a fiercely played game no matter quality of the teams, Schools are close by. Also seems as to where you grew up and/or live. For the folks in the eastern part of the state, Channel 10 WJAR in Providence use to televise PC basketball with Chris Smith during the Ernie D, Marvin Barnes years and a bit longer. UConn was largely broadcasted on radio. So yeah, myself and many people I know consider PC a basketball rival, regionally.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The reason why the ACC won’t invite us now is because they already have members unhappy with their payouts. Adding UConn to dilute that further (doubtful ESPN kicks in more if it’s not in the current contract).

With that said, even knowing as a fan that the ACC has a death date in 2036, that would be my preference if we left the Big East.

But my brain also tells me the Big 12 is the “safer” lifeboat. Because when the ACC implodes, about 8 teams will be looking for a home w/ a big TV contract (probably Big 12). I don’t want to have to compete with Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt, etc. for those limited spots… I want us to have a seat at the table.

Possibly true, but the ACC leftovers would be a legitimate east coast all sports conference. The B12 leftovers are CUSA or the old Southwest conference.

If the landscape changes to the extent the P5 becomes the P3 or P2, i don't think the ACC is any more vulnerable than the B12.
The most likely outcome is the SEC and B1G picking up the biggest names and the P12 inviting the best of the rest from the B12. That would leave UConn with TCU, UCF, Cincy, etc.

The ACC would likely be the mostly the old BE plus tobacco road minus UNC.

Which is stronger in that case? Doesn't really matter. UConn is going wherever they can get paid and deal with whatever happens later. I just wouldn't say the B12 is better. It's more likely to be available as an option.

Reaction Score
Possibly true, but the ACC leftovers would be a legitimate east coast all sports conference. The B12 leftovers are CUSA or the old Southwest conference.

If the landscape changes to the extent the P5 becomes the P3 or P2, i don't think the ACC is any more vulnerable than the B12.
The most likely outcome is the SEC and B1G picking up the biggest names and the P12 inviting the best of the rest from the B12. That would leave UConn with TCU, UCF, Cincy, etc.

Which is stronger in that case? Doesn't really matter. UConn is going wherever they can get paid and deal with whatever happens later. I just wouldn't say the B12 is better. It's more likely to be available as an option.
If all that happens, it wouldn't matter. Once you're in the P5 club, you're in the club. We would more than likely just bounce right over the ACC, especially if they were looking for more members after losing Clemson/FSU/UNC/UVA etc.

Reaction Score
What? The p12 is barely making it past its current TV media deal and is unbelievably unlikely to be making more than the current B12 deal. If there were any worthy teams in the current B12 to make the leap to the B10/SEC, it would have already happened with the OU/UT defections. That is why the B12 has positioned itself as the third best conference in the country, because its the most stable, where pretty much all the current teams know this is its best bet. The P12 and ACC both have teams that aspire for much more than their current home.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They will say that for PR and likes, it doesn’t bring in money so they really don’t care.
It absolutely brings in PR. Baylor has been a successful woman's basketball program as are Iowa State and Iowa. These are games that would garner national attention. Football numbers? Of course not, but still decent viewership.

Also keep in mind that woman's basketball has a seven figure deal to be broadcast on SNY. Football has a half million dollar deal to be broadcast on CBS Sportsnet, just as a comparison. UConn women's basketball has gotten higher ratings than pro baseball and football games in Connecticut. There's value there.

Again, no one's getting a conference invite because of their women's basketball team, but that doesn't mean that the very successful Connecticut woman's basketball program has zero value.

I'm not sure Brett Yormark does anything "for likes".

Reaction Score
St. Johns? None of the original members are less of a rival. St. Johns was great when UConn stunk. St. Johns stunk when UConn was great. We never really had a period when both programs were strong. Even Seton Hall had some good teams after UConn rose up. PC is much more of a rival and is clearly the closest geographic team. They also won far more than they should have against us.
Even so, the series heated up under Calhoun, especially because of the hate generated by the Calhoun-Jarvis enmity. We called that guy Satan for years. In the mid oughts, UConn dominated St. John's, but before then and after, the series was even since the start of the Calhoun era.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Is this even ethical?

If UConn is going to the Big12 for football in 2024 then I'm sure the commissioner and AD's of the schools are on board with trying to get UConn's program up as quickly as possible. So permission was granted by them to use it as a recruiting tool. This is probably the best indication that there is more than just smoke with these rumors.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
No chance St John’s or Cinci are a bigger game than PC. The lack of respect for PC in a way shows their level as a rival. Also can we stop referring to BC as a rival? It’s demeaning, it’s like calling Umass a rival.

Reaction Score
If UConn is going to the Big12 for football in 2024 then I'm sure the commissioner and AD's of the schools are on board with trying to get UConn's program up as quickly as possible. So permission was granted by them to use it as a recruiting tool. This is probably the best indication that there is more than just smoke with these rumors.
It seems pretty clear It's going to happen.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
No chance St John’s or Cinci are a bigger game than PC. The lack of respect for PC in a way shows their level as a rival. Also can we stop referring to BC as a rival? It’s demeaning, it’s like calling Umass a rival.
Agree that PC is one of the teams UConn fans most want to see beat in the BE if standings were not a factor. They are geographical rivals for many fans.

BC is no longer a rival but they are an example of how rivals can come and go without nostalgic regret. They were one of our first rivals early in our BE history. Even before they left the BE and trashed us with the ACC we lost the rivalry with them because we beat them so many times games with them were no longer as interesting. Another lesson on what's necessary to have a rivalry.

As we got better the better teams in the BE became our rivals. First Syracuse, then Pitt and then Ville.

Going to the Big12 will end geographical rivals but if we are at the top of the league we will develop rivals with whoever else in that league is good.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

I agree with this sentiment to a degree.

If all else was equal, I’d love to be in a conference with the east coast “leftovers”. But in some weird way the fact that the Big12 members are “less desirable” to the SEC & Big10 makes it more stable. I feel like all of the ACC schools besides BC and Wake would continue to be potential targets for either of the top 2 conferences down the line.

If the ACC re-organizes in 2036 and gets an attractive TV contract, we could always jump from the Big12. But we will have more leverage there than in the Big East (my opinion, not a fact) especially if football becomes competitive (top 50 program each year).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
For those who don't know, Vernon is a KU hoops insider type of personality. He's not your typical Swaim, FlugeEmpire, type of conference realignment b-s'er. As for ethical...The 4* QB we just got from Texas on the record saying the B12 was part of Mora's recruiting pitch. So it's happened already
Yeah, he's pretty solid on KU stuff. Don't know if he'd really know this info about football recruits, but if he's posting it, he probably does.

CL82

Reaction Score
For those who don't know, Vernon is a KU hoops insider type of personality. He's not your typical Swaim, FlugeEmpire, type of conference realignment b-s'er. As for ethical...The 4* QB we just got from Texas on the record saying the B12 was part of Mora's recruiting pitch. So it's happened already
Sort of. The quarterback asked Mora about it and Mora replied he had no information one way or the other but if Connecticut joined it would be a good thing for the program. That's a lot different than Mora including that we will be moving to the big 12 as a part of his pitch.

Reaction Score
Sort of. The quarterback asked Mora about it and Mora replied he had no information one way or the other but if Connecticut joined it would be a good thing for the program. That's a lot different than Mora including that we will be moving to the big 12 as a part of his pitch.
"Welliver did say, according to the Hartford Courant, that the idea of UConn moving to the Big 12 conference was brought up on his visit. 'They were talking about the Big 12 and moving to the Big 12; saying how, if it does go through, how such a big deal that would be for all of the players and the school.'"

Idk, this to me seems the discussion was more than a simple question and answer...

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
"Welliver did say, according to the Hartford Courant, that the idea of UConn moving to the Big 12 conference was brought up on his visit. 'They were talking about the Big 12 and moving to the Big 12; saying how, if it does go through, how such a big deal that would be for all of the players and the school.'"

Idk, this to me seems the discussion was more than a simple question and answer...
To be fair, he brings it up as though we presented a hypothetical move that might happen. Vernon’s tweet is worded as though we’re saying it’s in motion already. That either means it’s progressed substantially since the first quote, or there’s some miscommunication happening.

CL82

Reaction Score

That is a little different synopsis than the one I remember, but I find the "if" to be the operative word there.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
For all we know, this Vernon guy is just parroting what we already know from Welliver and the Courant.
Parroting...or independent confirmation?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom