Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux! | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux!

Reaction Score
Metaphysically? . I mean, yeah, of course the travel is worse in the Big XII. Maybe you lose a little of that northeast recruiting identity.

But the money and national cachet more than makes up for it. We are a national program.
That seems to be the thing people have been saying and everyone who is so hyped about the Big 12 is spinning for no reason. UConn obviously won't turn down an invite but I think it will hurt the basketball program somewhat and the travel will suck.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That seems to be the thing people have been saying and everyone who is so hyped about the Big 12 is spinning for no reason. UConn obviously won't turn down an invite but I think it will hurt the basketball program somewhat and the travel will suck.
Travel will suck but I'm not sure that the move will hurt basketball significantly. We won't be able to offer recruits the chance to play two away games in the NYC metro area in addition to all the home games, but we will be able to offer them the opportunity to play in the top basketball conference in the country. I have to think that something Hurley can sell.

Reaction Score
Travel will suck but I'm not sure that the move will hurt basketball significantly. We won't be able to offer recruits the chance to play two away games in the NYC metro area in addition to all the home games, but we will be able to offer them the opportunity to play in the top basketball conference in the country. I have to think that something Hurley can sell.
He can sell it but we'll be the outsiders playing in a conference that's centered around the Plains. If you think Big East refs have it out for us just wait until we play at Allen Fieldhouse this season. Being a geographic and cultural outsider will be a factor, travel will be a factor, losing the Garden will be a factor etc. It's not something we can't overcome and still be great/dominant but it's all a factor IMO. The Big East is the best place for UConn basketball, it's a shame how the landscape has completely changed/been ruined in college sports.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It's not hilarious that you don't know the facts of the situation.

$32m is the media rights. But the P5 conferences get the football revenue which adds another $15m per school. I subtracted the BE media rights from the total. The total B12 payout is $50m.

As for "Way further" than DC, it's a difference of 150 miles. When we're talking flights, this is a negligible difference.

You guys are desperate
What’s desperate is if this invite ever does come,and I’m definitely not holding my breath, and then we have to eat our hat with a cut rate deal for 5 -10 years , that all your media dollar prognostications that are made in these threads are going to look hilarious. Because if ( and again, that’s a huge IF) it does come I would lay serious odds that it isn’t as a full share member. And then you all be saying “ well 17 million is better , we’ve got to take it”. Lulz.

CL82

Reaction Score
What’s desperate is if this invite ever does come,and I’m definitely not holding my breath, and then we have to eat our hat with a cut rate deal for 5 -10 years , that all your media dollar prognostications that are made in these threads are going to look hilarious. Because if ( and again, that’s a huge IF) it does come I would lay serious odds that it isn’t as a full share member. And then you all be saying “ well 17 million is better , we’ve got to take it”. Lulz.
Exactly! Well except that Brett Yormark has said that any football playing member will be a full share member. He also has said that their media partners have already determined that Connecticut will be entitled to a prorated increase of the contract.

But other than that...

Reaction Score
Exactly! Well except that Brett Yormark has said that any football playing member will be a full share member. He also has said that their media partners have already determined that Connecticut will be entitled to a prorated increase of the contract.

But other than that...
Aren't the four schools who are joining getting 50% of the share their first two seasons in the Big 12?

Reaction Score
That’s not true? Kind of stating the obvious. You got something better for us?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
You left out the part where the "cut rate" deal will still pay us double (or more) what we would get if we remain in the BE.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Beggars can't be choosers. You have to expect something similar to what the 4 new additions got. 19 million a year increasing annually as they get closer to the end of the contract which is 2031. That's not a long time. No way you say no to such an arrangement.

I'll believe this move happens when it is announced.

This move would be about nothing else. The last additions were a different time. UConn is about as strong a brand as it has ever been. Our exit fees also need to be taken into account. If we end up averaging significantly less than the rest of the p5 then what the heck are we doing? Even if that would still be double our current revenue. 2 x squat is stil squat, doesn't effectively change the revenue situation, explodes expenses at the cost of a very important market for MBB.

Any deal needs to be looked at as a whole and not solely the increasingly shaky P5 status. Rule No. 1 would dictate that the minute we join, the NCAA Super League appears on the horizon. If we are going to join a league that we don't fit in at all, it better be for enough money.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I prefer the B12 to the ACC. The ACC seems like a drag the last few years.
We would revive the ACC's northern half in both FB and BB by way more than we would boost any other conference. It's negligent that they haven't made a strong offer this off season. BC, Pitt, and Cuse games would actually be attractive to media partners again. The ACC tournament in NYC would actually outdraw the BET. The ACC could split N/S for FB and make the southern FB schools happy be giving them an extra OOC game by going to an 8 game conference schedule. Even ND would like it. UConn would take less from the ACC than it would from the B12.

Reaction Score
I don't think an invite is ever going to come. I've said that many times.

BUT, half of $50m is $25m. Which is much better than anything they're ever going to get in the BE.

If UConn fans are expecting immediate shares, which is something hardly anyone gets, they are going to be mistaken. We all know that will not happen because it hasn't happened for some of the most powerful brands, like PSU's move.

I have no idea why you think I'd be disappointed by something I absolutely expect to happen

CL82

Reaction Score
Uh... they vote.
Yes, they do. That doesn't change the fact that the broadcast partners view our addition differently than the view that their addition.

Do you think that they have the ability to block Yormark's decisions after being in the Conference for a hot eight minutes? As long as Fox and ESPN are footing the bill and it costs them nothing to add us, I don't see it as an issue.

Reaction Score
The math says 11 schools will have to catch up to UConn in M/W basketball and UConn will have to catch up to 11 schools in football. Neither will happen. Fools gold. But a fool and his money are soon parted.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yes, they do. That doesn't change the fact that the broadcast partners view our addition differently than the view that their addition.

Do you think that they have the ability to block Yormark's decisions after being in the Conference for a hot eight minutes? As long as Fox and ESPN are footing the bill and it costs them nothing to add us, I don't see it as an issue.

My understanding is that the additional teams added to the league increase the TV contact pro rata but the distribution is withheld for the newcomers and the current programs take home a higher share.

In this sense, the networks (supposedly) have said UConn would be considered for a pro rata increase to the Big 12 tv deal but there's no chance wed receive a full distribution initially.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He can sell it but we'll be the outsiders playing in a conference that's centered around the Plains. If you think Big East refs have it out for us just wait until we play at Allen Fieldhouse this season. Being a geographic and cultural outsider will be a factor, travel will be a factor, losing the Garden will be a factor etc. It's not something we can't overcome and still be great/dominant but it's all a factor IMO. The Big East is the best place for UConn basketball, it's a shame how the landscape has completely changed/been ruined in college sports.
Honestly, Big East was the best place in the old days. At this point, more of our rival and local opponents are in the ACC, and the other schools in the ACC are more appealing and closer fits than those in the Big East. The ACC is the best fit for UConn for Basketball and Football.

I don't think officiating will be worse. Our problem wasn't anti-UConn bias. It was anti-Hurley bias from some refs and a general style of play that is designed to give higher physicality, lower skilled teams a chance to beat more skilled teams. I don't think that helps us. Not losing any games outside the Big East wasn't a coincidence. Big XII officiating is a better fit for our style of play.

Reaction Score
We would revive the ACC's northern half in both FB and BB by way more than we would boost any other conference. It's negligent that they haven't made a strong offer this off season. BC, Pitt, and Cuse games would actually be attractive to media partners again. The ACC tournament in NYC would actually outdraw the BET. The ACC could split N/S for FB and make the southern FB schools happy be giving them an extra OOC game by going to an 8 game conference schedule. Even ND would like it. UConn would take less from the ACC than it would from the B12.
Not sure what the point of talking about the ACC is. Has anyone suggested they're inviting UConn?

Reaction Score
Honestly, Big East was the best place in the old days. At this point, more of our rival and local opponents are in the ACC, and the other schools in the ACC are more appealing and closer fits than those in the Big East. The ACC is the best fit for UConn for Basketball and Football.

I don't think officiating will be worse. Our problem wasn't anti-UConn bias. It was anti-Hurley bias from some refs and a general style of play that is designed to give higher physicality, lower skilled teams a chance to beat more skilled teams. I don't think that helps us. Not losing any games outside the Big East wasn't a coincidence. Big XII officiating is a better fit for our style of play.
I do not really understand why the ACC is so shortsighted as to no wanting to bring UConn into their conference. The ACC is never going to come close to the SEC or B1G in football appeal regardless of the success of Clemson and FSU. They could solidify the eastern basketball market and get a true New England/NYC foothold by inviting UConn.

The Big-12 is smart enough to see the value of elite basketball. The ACC just seems to have blinders on. They have already lost geographical market to the B1G w/ Maryland and Rutgers. Now they can sit back and lose more when UConn goes elsewhere.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I do not really understand why the ACC is so shortsighted as to no wanting to bring UConn into their conference. The ACC is never going to come close to the SEC or B1G in football appeal regardless of the success of Clemson and FSU. They could solidify the eastern basketball market and get a true New England/NYC foothold by inviting UConn.

The Big-12 is smart enough to see the value of elite basketball. The ACC just seems to have blinders on.
It's where we belong and they currently have an odd number of teams, counting Notre Dame. I don't understand it really. Also, Fox has our rights now, so it would be a shift to ESPN.

Reaction Score

ACC is just Cuse, Pitt, and, BC.

As much as I loved UConn always kicking BC's butt I don't miss it.

Completely disagree with you on reffing.

CL82

Reaction Score
My understanding is that the additional teams added to the league increase the TV contact pro rata but the distribution is withheld for the newcomers and the current programs take home a higher share.

In this sense, the networks (supposedly) have said UConn would be considered for a pro rata increase to the Big 12 tv deal but there's no chance wed receive a full distribution initially.
My understanding is the prorated increase is only for P5 teams, or for select G5 teams that the broadcast partners agree will be treated as if they were T5 teams for the purposes of expansion under the existing contract.

Yormark has said that Connecticut has been approved by the broadcast partners to get a full pro rata share. That was not the case for the "discount rack four" that came in from the American.

That said, you are absolutely correct that the fact that the broadcast partners are paying a full share doesn't mean that we will automatically get a full share from the Conference upon joining. Reading the tea leaves about all that's been said, I believe that we will. If anything the CFP money may be delayed or foregone in the near term.

Keep in mind that the AAC four came in with two years to go until the new contract begins in 2025. They are getting partial shares only during that period. Once the new contract comes in they will be entitled to full shares. While I don't know this for certain, it wouldn't surprise me if Connecticut were to start in 2025. I don't know what the Big East exit provisions require for notice, but I would be surprised if we were playing in the big 12 next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom