Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux! | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux!

Reaction Score
The math says 11 schools will have to catch up to UConn in M/W basketball and UConn will have to catch up to 11 schools in football. Neither will happen. Fools gold. But a fool and his money are soon parted.
Neither of those math observations are valid.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hearing this is as soon as 2024...might only be 1 season left in the BE. $40mm in the first couple years then goes to $50mm. Maybe we are getting $6mm now from the BE?
Please tell me that you heard this right in between the rinse and the hot wax.

200.gif

Reaction Score
I imagine this means Seton Hall and St John's are also rivals. Is this what you are claiming?

Not at all, are you really trying to argue that the UConn fanbase has disdain for Seton hall or.St John's in the same way it does for BC or Providence?

Reaction Score
Not at all, are you really trying to argue that the UConn fanbase has disdain for Seton hall or.St John's in the same way it does for BC or Providence?
????
I'd argue there's more disdain for St. John's than there ever was for either PC or BC.

I actually consider St. John's to be the main team UConn fans have hated over the years.

Sure, it switched to Pitt at one point, but we stopped playing them.

Reaction Score
????
I'd argue there's more disdain for St. John's than there ever was for either PC or BC.

I actually consider St. John's to be the main team UConn fans have hated over the years.

If you went to gampel pavilion and asked a student if they consider St Johns or Providence more of a rival, who are they going to say? Most of the younger generation of UConn fans wouldn't even think Cuse was once a rival.

Reaction Score
I don't think so. If the women stay healthy they are arguably the best team in the country at worst they are second.
The LSU Women are so far ahead of UConn. Mulkey created a Dream Team through the portal. South Carolina is better too. Best to set the bar low for UConn and hope for the best.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My last comment on this:

One of the best descriptions on what makes a rivalry that I've ever hears was about Cal-Stanford shortly after the "The band is on the field" football game which was "beating this team can salvage a bad season" as both schools were finishing subpar seasons that year.

If the day ever arrives where we look at a season and say "well, we had a lousy year but we did beat Providence" it will be time to throw in the towel. The two schools are not similar situations to the Yankees-Red Sox or Cardinals-Cubs. Attempting to make these analogies work requires eliminating decades of competition, only recognizing seasons where one of the participants won the world series. This isn't a situation similar to the Yankees-Red Sox pre 2004 or Cardinals-Cubs pre 2016, it is more similar to Manchester United or Chelsea and Stoke City.

As far as how our fan base feels about other schools' fan bases, I imagine that quite a bit of that depends on where it is that you live. I cross paths with very few PC fans (none down here) and I would wager that other than a handful of very recent incidents with PC puffing out their chest (during the final few Cooley years) foolishly believing that they had surpassed us, there really hadn't been a lot cause any animosity.

There really can't be any extended animosity as they are a program that cannot remain consistently competitive. They haven't been able to keep any quality head coach (the very image of a stepping stone), even the guy that a couple PC fans argued on our board would never leave (as he was from there) left them. If their new coach is successful he will leave (like Pitino, Barnes, Gillen, Cooley), if not, he'll get canned (Chiesa, Welsh).

You can define rivalry as you wish. I just believe that in this case you're adjusting the criteria in an attempt to force this into something more than it really is. Beating us can make their season if they have a sub .500 record. Beating them won't make our season if we haven't done a whole lot more than that during the season.

Reaction Score
I understand why this is a story, but I hate it.

I remember the day that the "return to the Big East" news leaked and I got a little misty, but ughhhhhhhh I feel like this is the AAC move Part 2, except for just like 30 million more dollars.

I also understand that college sports are a business.

There is another shift coming, and we don't want to be left behind. I don't think that would be possible like the first time, the ACC and the B10 know they blew it taking BC & Rutgers over us. It won't happen again.

I am crossing my fingers that the first domino is that the football schools in the ACC are stolen by the SEC, which either causes the Big East to expand and grab Duke & others, or the ACC just simply absorbs the Big East.

Reaction Score
The Big East isn't going anywhere; besides, a number of confernces would not be a fit. Wha confernece is calling Marquette or Seton Hall?

Georgetown doesn't fit any conference model (30 sports, a third of its budget on men's basketball, vastly underspending in football)
Well over 800 athletes in the AD. Wow.

Reaction Score
I feel like this is the AAC move Part 2, except for just like 30 million more dollars.

Yeah, but that's like saying a Chevy (4 wheels and an engine) is a lot like a Rolls Royce.

Plus its more than just money for the football team its prestige, recruiting, schedule, and attendance, it gets football back in the game.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The LSU Women are so far ahead of UConn. Mulkey created a Dream Team through the portal. South Carolina is better too. Best to set the bar low for UConn and hope for the best.
Lol, um, disagree. If Connecticut remains healthy, they may be the most talented team in college basketball. The loss of 2022-2023 POY Boston is going to be huge for South Carolina. I agree somewhat regarding LSU. Mulkey is one of the best coaches in the game today, in my opinion, but putting together a lot of desperate pieces can be tough. We'll see.

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Lol, um, disagree. If Connecticut remains healthy, they may be the most talented team in college basketball. The loss of 2022-2023 POY Boston is going to be huge for South Carolina. I agree somewhat regarding LSU. Mulkey is one of the best coaches in the game today, in my opinion, but putting together a lot of desperate pieces can be tough. We'll see.
No one cares about women’s basketball in conference realignment tho.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah but the Red Sox and Cubs didn't win anything for generations while the Yankees and Cardinals were both winning boatloads of World Series.

The argument that Providence isn't a rival because UConn is the far superior program is stupid. UConn battled them over the years.

PC beat us far more than they should have. I definitely consider PC a rival. Boston didn't win titles, but they were actually the team that won the most games after the Yankees from 1970-2004. They weren't bad. If there was a wild card then they probably would have broken the curse earlier. Cubs were awful for a long time. But I agree with your point. K-State is certainly a rival of KU despite the results.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
????

St. Johns? None of the original members are less of a rival. St. Johns was great when UConn stunk. St. Johns stunk when UConn was great. We never really had a period when both programs were strong. Even Seton Hall had some good teams after UConn rose up. PC is much more of a rival and is clearly the closest geographic team. They also won far more than they should have against us.

Reaction Score
Rivalries is what makes sports. Mlb is looking to expand and realign to 8, 4 team divisions. Manfried is on record saying that regional rivalries have to be preserved. Yanks-sox, cards-cubs, giants-dodgers will remain together. In other words, they matter.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Some here might not know that in the pre-Big East days. PC refused to play UConn. So their late-60's-early 70's glory years come with an asterisk.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Among fans of men's basketball, very few do, however, Brett Yormark has specifically mentioned it as one of the Big 12 and, more importantly, one of our strengths.
They will say that for PR and likes, it doesn’t bring in money so they really don’t care.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
For me, the rivalry is better when I can go into the opposing arena and watch a game

FWIW, what we don't know is the future of the BIG12. They're hemorrhaging from all extremities, hence they raid the AAC and more

I'm sort of indifferent, I don't think the BIG12 is "the solution". I know Jim Mora and football fans disagree with me. The B12 would be a godsend for them. Not so much for any other sport. Maybe baseball benefits from an uptick, but they're already solid.

Reaction Score
Yeah but the Red Sox and Cubs didn't win anything for generations while the Yankees and Cardinals were both winning boatloads of World Series.

The argument that Providence isn't a rival because UConn is the far superior program is stupid. UConn battled them over the years.
Getting off track, but there is absolutely an asymmetry here.

When Providence plays us, it's their Super Bowl.
When we play Providence, it's one of like 10 games at that level of importance to us.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Does the pro Big East faction have their mind changed if the majority of Big East games are no longer on linear Fox but rather paywalled?

I get the sentiment that short term this could potentially hurt recruiting from a geographic standpoint but if your games aren't on ESPN or Fox? Thats going to be a bigger issue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom