OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 251 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
had a gf sumtime back. centuries of southern Italy heritage, family name came from a town there. not from around these parts, she quickly noticed that 'Italian' food was off the charts good as she got exposed a bit to The Park City, and she absolutely adored great gramms (she of that Ungarische-Carpo-Ukraine dump) eggparm. mebbe it was the matzoh meal in the coating?
she liked to say aboot her college prof mom's cooking, heavily biased to the family dishes (iifn there was a cloud in the sky, she instantly put on some pasta e fagiole), 'it stinks.'
so we're eating at her folks place one day, and her moms puts out the eggparm.
i was like, under my breath, 'swiss cheese? swiss cheese in it?' say what?
unacceptable. weird. yuk.
lesson? ya don't have to be that ethnic, to make great ethnic food. and iffn u are that ethnic, doesn't mean you can make that ethnics food well.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
hehe 'gf.' nice person.
'she was a new beagle, but she warn't no dog'

ok, now that's funny. i don't care who u are, that's just plain funny right there.
and local beagles, u can steal it. u would anyway... lol, all around.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
There's a couple places that do thin crust well but honestly just a couple, at least for me. I really don't like the Chicago thin crust style (cracker thin) you explained it well. Most Chicagoans claim that's the real Chicago pizza. I've actually grown to really like deep dish. I hardly ever have it but really enjoy it when I do....

As for sandwiches CT. does Italian grinders better, NYC does Jewish delis better, and Philly is the sandwich capital but the breaded steak sandwich and the Italian beef are great sandwiches.

Man, you picked the worst time to live out here. That summer heat wave is a major national tragedy not many outside this area seem to know about.
Piece is a great New Haven style place in the Windy City, run by a family from New Haven. The kids were friends with the Consiglios in Wooster Square, back in the day.

Reaction Score
Pepe's is set to open Monday, July 18 in Alexandria, VA

Finally! It's about a mile from Chez Mazhude... and they deliver!
I keep wondering when they're going to come closer to my house in suburban Boston. Chestnut Hill, Watertown and Burlington are too far from my house to get takeout (although we do go and eat there). I actually asked a few years ago and they said they were looking but hadn't found a spot that appealed to them.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Piece is a great New Haven style place in the Windy City, run by a family from New Haven. The kids were friends with the Consiglios in Wooster Square, back in the day.
I think this is the place that was on "Pizza, a Love Story" if it was, Rick Nielsen from Cheap Trick was a major investor.

Reaction Score
Yep, that's one of the thin crust places that's good. It's good but not great like the places in New Haven. The other thin crust pizza place I like a little more is Craft Pizza, it's only a half mile down the road from Piece on Damen Ave.

Reaction Score
I think this is the place that was on "Pizza, a Love Story" if it was, Rick Nielsen from Cheap Trick was a major investor.
Yep, Rick Nielsen and Bill Jacobs (from New Haven) own it.

95y3t7l5gjb61.jpg

Reaction Score
Spending a few hours in Southport ct tomorrow. Any good pizza close

Reaction Score
Depends how you define good and your pizza style preference. You’ll be five minutes away from the Fairfield outposts of Colony Grill and Frank Pepe. Neither are the same as the original, but if you enjoy a bar pie, Colony comes closer to its flagship spot.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Depends how you define good and your pizza style preference. You’ll be five minutes away from the Fairfield outposts of Colony Grill and Frank Pepe. Neither are the same as the original, but if you enjoy a bar pie, Colony comes closer to its flagship spot.
Haven't been in that area in awhile, but used to like Julian's in Westport and Quattro Pazzi in Fairfield, both wood-fired ovens. Never been to Brewport, but their pizzas look a lot like Sally's.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
whelp, the post, and poster, i am responding to is once again poofed when i sign in. i guess that one has the mads for me. whatever.
iffn that guy meant julians brick oven down on riverside in Westport, i used to sell them the wood for their oven, and the julian brick oven in Monroe as well. they were sticklers for only white oak, and nothing else. nice folks, and since we'd drop Monroe first, when we hit Westport they'd always have a nice big one ready when we came. freebie. often, when i'd tell the boys 'im riding shotgun today' they'd say 'we're going to Westport?'
after the umpteenth time nighmare from crossing the Q bridge, or the other holdups going that way, i woke up one day and said 'screw that delivery program down there. that's over.'
way too many times the gang would come back from a trip there, hours after quitting time. they have lives beyond work too, and don't need to be finally getting to their home at 7,8, or 9 o'clock at night. even for money.
i don't know if those julians are in business today.
on this pizza reheat thing (pizza reviews really should have a 'how does it do the next day?' category. pepe's, and many others fail on that one.), we just grab that honkin big fry pan, put it on the stove, toss in the slabs, add a hat, and walk away for a few minutes. if so motivated, u can add a bit of oil and sprinkle in some corn meal before the slices go in.
ezpz, and consistently tasty.
we used to deliver as far as Stamford. now, it's strictly this side of the bridge. the whole wood supply thing for restaurants is a weird dynamic, usually just starting with a restaurant having a bunch of bcards, and scraps of paper with phone numbers, tacked onto a noteboard. u think everybuddy has all that entered into their phone? guess again. kind of like that hokum aboot digital medical records.

Reaction Score
Haven't been in that area in awhile, but used to like Julian's in Westport and Quattro Pazzi in Fairfield, both wood-fired ovens. Never been to Brewport, but their pizzas look a lot like Sally's.
Brewport is good; I believe that they are proteges of Bar in New Haven and the pizza is more like that than Sally's. Cool place.

Luigi's in Fairfield is solid neighborhood family run. Testo's is the best in Fairfield, but is on the other side of Fairfield from where you will be.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
when in Southport, go to the Horseshoe, or, as affectionately known, the Ho'shoe. nuff aboot that label.
they got eatable za, and great normal stuff like cheesesteaks, rubens, fish and chips, tuna melts, burgers, club sandwiches, chili, all that.
Menu — THE HORSESHOE
monday nites are open mic. hey auggie! u listening?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
when in Southport, go to the Horseshoe, or, as affectionately known, the Ho'shoe. nuff aboot that label.
they got eatable za, and great normal stuff like cheesesteaks, rubens, fish and chips, tuna melts, burgers, club sandwiches, chili, all that.
Menu — THE HORSESHOE
monday nites are open mic. hey auggie! u listening?
and u won't find weird stuff like pineapple, barbq chicken, poached pears, truffles, basil flown in from Tarento, raspberries, and such on their pizza add-ons list. iffn u need that, just go somewhere else local that will charge u twice the price for a hotdog, which, of course at the Ho'shoe, are Hummels.

Reaction Score
Haven't been in that area in awhile, but used to like Julian's in Westport and Quattro Pazzi in Fairfield, both wood-fired ovens. Never been to Brewport, but their pizzas look a lot like Sally's
Quattro Pazzi (now Tutti Pazzi here in Stamford) is hands down my go-to spot for Italian and Pizza.

Reaction Score
Last night, I took my second visit to Magic 5 Pie Co. in East Norwalk. They've expanded their seating to the patio with an outdoor bar and various seating configurations. Last night was a perfect night for outdoor dining.

The previous night, we celebrated my birthday with a sunset ferry ride around the Norwalk Harbor, so inspired by that we started the meal with Copps Island oysters (from Norwalk) and I tried their clam pie with Copps Island littlenecks, olive oil, garlic, oregano, lemon and parmesan. It was exactly what I wanted when I ordered it, the only caveat is that I wish it were a little less heavy handed on the parmesan. Like, when you have really good parmesan you only need a little bit to compliment the flavors and the flavor was overpowered a bit masking some of the lemon and clam flavor. A glass of Montepulciano d'Aruzzo paired wonderfully.

I was there along with seven other members of my family, all first time visitors of M5PC and they loved it too.

If you are in the Norwalk area and haven't tried it yet, do it. If you live near the New Haven line, it's just an oyster shell's throw away from the East Norwalk station.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom