OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 253 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Oh, and that was the first time I have eaten at Zuppardi’s; I had only had takeout previously.

The reason I mention that is because that led me to discover that they have Gassosa on tap!
Long tables in the back room can accommodate, for example, a biking group member's birthday celebration.

The best I could do was 7 consecutive nights of Louisville Burger Week.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Back to our original topic, I had my usual to go from Pepes Fairfield yesterday, red pie, 2x pepperoni, extra grated cheese, it was spot on, 9.5, and they were packed and backed up (but ordered at 3:30 for 5 pm, came out of oven at 5:01).

I actually think they are at there best when busy. Obscene amount of pepperoni, the girl was actually took some off. $31, but fed 6 people.

20220807_165224 (2).jpg
As a side note, they are selling t shirts, $15, 100% cotton, 6 different colors. I got a yellow and a black. And suggested they offer national flag blue with red or white silkscreening, it was duly noted by the manager.

Reaction Score
Back to our original topic, I had my usual to go from Pepes Fairfield yesterday, red pie, 2x pepperoni, extra grated cheese, it was spot on, 9.5, and they were packed and backed up (but ordered at 3:30 for 5 pm, came out of oven at 5:01).

I actually think they are at there best when busy. Obscene amount of pepperoni, the girl was actually took some off. $31, but fed 6 people.

View attachment 78105 As a side note, they are selling t shirts, $15, 100% cotton, 6 different colors. I got a yellow and a black. And suggested they offer national flag blue with red or white silkscreening, it was duly noted by the manager.
Had family in from Denver .. Had to do Pepes in WHartford (Elmwood) Fri night...Ordered clam/original/ Margarita.. Nailed them all..4 tee shirts purchased.. Morning after left- overs ..Per them.. "best ever"

Reaction Score

View attachment 78105 As a side note, they are selling t shirts, $15, 100% cotton, 6 different colors. I got a yellow and a black. And suggested they offer national flag blue with red or white silkscreening, it was duly noted by the manager.
Explain how 1 pie feeds six?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Anyone try Mexican pizza yet? Looks like South Philadelphia is the hot spot for it:

last spring, a new neighbor, millenial'ish couple invited folks over for a howdy doo. served pizza from a local place.
one was a 'mexican' pie. when they opened the boxes, someone said 'what's that? sourcream?'
when the eve was done, that pie had one slice missing. the other boxes, empty, were in the fire.
no wonder youse spend so much time talking aboot 'health' things.
no wonder Congress spends a lot of time recently talking aboot free insulin for everyone.
they haven't spoken Spanish in Naples since Hannibal visited.
to be consistent, shouldn't a 'mexican' pie have a corn flour crust?
mmm, mm, mmm. cornbread, proscuitt, romano, mole, sourcream, ghost peppers, tamarind, dulce de leche, spumoni, ... what, no chicken feet?
barf.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Hippocrates made his bones, at that time, by writing and speaking mostly on food, and it's role in good health.
don't eat yellow snow. it's not saffron.

digestive harmony and balance. magic.

Reaction Score
Had a Belltown cheese slice. Was solid, didn't blow me away. For the style I'd still put Glenville Pizza above it. Pizza Post in cos cob I remember being up there as well but it's been years since I've been

Reaction Score
Had a couple pies from The Palor in Stratford. Not nearly the 4.8 fating it receives online. Crust was dry/tasteless

Reaction Score
Had a Belltown cheese slice. Was solid, didn't blow me away. For the style I'd still put Glenville Pizza above it. Pizza Post in cos cob I remember being up there as well but it's been years since I've been
Pizza Post is solid and is still good, same with Glenville Pizza. Two new places opened in the area Constantinos and Byram Pizza Company. Interested to see how those are.

If in the mood for a sourdough crust and a more artisanal pie, go check out Grigg St Pizza.

Reaction Score
Pizza Post is solid and is still good, same with Glenville Pizza. Two new places opened in the area Constantinos and Byram Pizza Company. Interested to see how those are.

If in the mood for a sourdough crust and a more artisanal pie, go check out Grigg St Pizza.
Heard good things about Bruce Park Grill pizza but they are done

Reaction Score
Really interesting to see people say Pepe's outposts are nailing it since both Sally's & Pepe's original have been underwhelming the last few times I've gone (for instance, just last week).

We also hit Modern which was good, consistent, like I remembered it, but not my preferred like the old Sally's & Pepe's.

I think new ownership and the deaths of long time managers have had an impact on these 2 New Haven icons. We'll go to Zuppardi's next time we're in town.

New Haven friends say Ernie's is now the best but it's nearly impossible to get seated. One friend new someone there who popped us to near the front of the line and we still waited for what seemed forever. We actually left!!!

Reaction Score
Discovered Bruce park Grill years ago when I was a kid. It was awesome 6 bucks for a small little Irish bar pie that fits on a paper plate.

My Dad would go with guys after playing softball. I might of been in there once or twice but never went to grab Pizza. There used to be a bowling alley across from Greenwich Library that apparently ( was too young) the bar inside had excellent wings called "Dusty's".

Reaction Score
Really interesting to see people say Pepe's outposts are nailing it since both Sally's & Pepe's original have been underwhelming the last few times I've gone (for instance, just last week).

We also hit Modern which was good, consistent, like I remembered it, but not my preferred like the old Sally's & Pepe's.

I think new ownership and the deaths of long time managers have had an impact on these 2 New Haven icons. We'll go to Zuppardi's next time we're in town.

New Haven friends say Ernie's is now the best but it's nearly impossible to get seated. One friend new someone there who popped us to near the front of the line and we still waited for what seemed forever. We actually left!!!
Grew up walking distance from Ernie's so I I feel confident in saying No way is Ernie's the best. IMO it's decent (order light on the cheese) but I'd rate Sally's, Modern, Pepe's or Zuppardi's even Olde World as better

Reaction Score
Belltown is an incredibly dependable pizza. You know what you’re getting and they won’t disappoint. I’d still order Mario the Baker ahead of Belltown. I don’t think Glenville is what it used to be. If I’m in Greenwich, I splurge for Grigg Street. The quality of the ingredients and that unique sourdough crust set their pies apart.

Reaction Score

Sally’s in Stamford is good but the output has been wildly inconsistent. Lately, we’ve been hitting old-school Stamford pizzerias instead. I am curious about the Pepe’s opening here this fall, and will certainly try it out, but I’m not as excited about it opening as I was about the Sally’s outpost - mostly because I’d rather have Modern, Sally’s, Roseland and even Olde World when I head to New Haven County.

Reaction Score
If I’m in Greenwich, I splurge for Grigg Street. The quality of the ingredients and that unique sourdough crust set their pies apart.

Grigg Street had a nice write as the CT Magazine Editor’s Choice as Best Pizza Restaurant of 2022:

-> Two years ago, Matthew Watson and Jon Corbo started slinging pies in a subterranean space just off bustling Greenwich Avenue to instant fanfare. Truth is, I knew it’d be a hit when a notable chef told me, “Grigg will easily be a top 10 pizza as soon as they open the doors.”

Big statement in a state full of great pizza. But Watson and Corbo are no strangers to the industry. Both were formerly partners in the Corbo’s Deli locations and Watson is a French Culinary Institute grad. That combination as it applies to Grigg Street Pizza results in pizza that’s as delicious as it is beautiful.

Don’to call it New York style. Don’t call it New Haven style either. It’s sourdough. Grigg’s three-day leavened dough comes out light and crispy with char and dough bubbles.

And as geeky they are about their dough, they’re just as committed to quality toppings. They make their own mozzarella. The fennel sausage is ground in house. The garlic-habanero honey? Also made there. The sourdough petit baguette their stacked sandwiches come on? Of course they make that, too.

Word to the wise: this place is popping, as in, it gets slammed busy. Preordering online is the way to go almost every day to ensure you get a couple pies at a desired time, especially on Thursdays when they release specials the likes of which have been Ezzo Pepperoni with onion, basil and homemade ranch dressing; roasted onion with long hots, honey ricotta, and pecorino; and a white pie with rendered bacon béchamel, speck, roasted balsamic onions, provolone and parsley. — Andrew Dominick

griggstreetpizza.com • 203-717-1190 <-

Reaction Score
Grigg Street had a nice write as the CT Magazine Editor’s Choice as Best Pizza Restaurant of 2022:

-> Two years ago, Matthew Watson and Jon Corbo started slinging pies in a subterranean space just off bustling Greenwich Avenue to instant fanfare. Truth is, I knew it’d be a hit when a notable chef told me, “Grigg will easily be a top 10 pizza as soon as they open the doors.”

Big statement in a state full of great pizza. But Watson and Corbo are no strangers to the industry. Both were formerly partners in the Corbo’s Deli locations and Watson is a French Culinary Institute grad. That combination as it applies to Grigg Street Pizza results in pizza that’s as delicious as it is beautiful.

Don’to call it New York style. Don’t call it New Haven style either. It’s sourdough. Grigg’s three-day leavened dough comes out light and crispy with char and dough bubbles.

And as geeky they are about their dough, they’re just as committed to quality toppings. They make their own mozzarella. The fennel sausage is ground in house. The garlic-habanero honey? Also made there. The sourdough petit baguette their stacked sandwiches come on? Of course they make that, too.

Word to the wise: this place is popping, as in, it gets slammed busy. Preordering online is the way to go almost every day to ensure you get a couple pies at a desired time, especially on Thursdays when they release specials the likes of which have been Ezzo Pepperoni with onion, basil and homemade ranch dressing; roasted onion with long hots, honey ricotta, and pecorino; and a white pie with rendered bacon béchamel, speck, roasted balsamic onions, provolone and parsley. — Andrew Dominick

What's going on with their pizza menu? $20 for a plain pie which seems normal but $33 for their Thursday night special pie and $27 for a Margherita.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

You had me until “ranch dressing.”

Reaction Score
What's going on with their pizza menu? $20 for a plain pie which seems normal but $33 for their Thursday night special pie and $27 for a Margherita.
What’s going on is that it’s located 20 feet off of Greenwich Avenue. They could charge $40 for a Margherita and they’d still sell out. Same thing with Flour Water Salt Bread in Darien. Insane prices. Completely price-insensitive consumers.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Belltown is an incredibly dependable pizza. You know what you’re getting and they won’t disappoint. I’d still order Mario the Baker ahead of Belltown. I don’t think Glenville is what it used to be. If I’m in Greenwich, I splurge for Grigg Street. The quality of the ingredients and that unique sourdough crust set their pies apart.
Belltown is run by one of the sons of the original owner of Stamford Restaurant (Fairlawn, no longer around). The other son ran Stamford Restaurant and now runs Nino's in Darien.

I've known them most of my life, worked at Fairlawn pharmacy when I was in High School (a very long time ago).

Solid pie, not at the level of the NH spots but I would never think I'd need to look for something better if I was staying local.

Mario's is also very good but their parking situation is an issue. The same for John the Baker in Bull's Head (they are in laws with Luigi's on High Ridge).

Reaction Score
What’s going on is that it’s located 20 feet off of Greenwich Avenue. They could charge $40 for a Margherita and they’d still sell out. Same thing with Flour Water Salt Bread in Darien. Insane prices.
I've been to Greenwich many times. What I'm confused by is why is their Margherita $7 more than their cheese pie?

It's like the places in Chicago who charge the same price for thin crust as they do deep dish.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom