OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 252 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
yeah, count me in the parmesan cheese notafan club. a little can be ok, but that stuff can get out of hand quickly, and just plain smell funny. it stinks to high heaven.
couldn't find the robot chicken clip where santa says, after being all wasted and, umm, soiling himself while falling to the floor,
'my pants smell like parmesan cheese,' and then nods out.

one of the absolute funniest things that i have ever seen. great episode.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Pepe's is set to open Monday, July 18 in Alexandria, VA

Finally! It's about a mile from Chez Mazhude... and they deliver!
Well, that didn't take long. "Warning: Due to high order volumes at this location, online ordering will be unavailable from 11am - 10pm. Please visit or call to place your order or use the location finder to try another location nearby..."

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Well, that didn't take long. "Warning: Due to high order volumes at this location, online ordering will be unavailable from 11am - 10pm. Please visit or call to place your order or use the location finder to try another location nearby..."
Averaging about $30 for a large pie here in Alexandria. How's that compare to New Haven these days?

Reaction Score
Last night, I took my second visit to Magic 5 Pie Co. in East Norwalk. They've expanded their seating to the patio with an outdoor bar and various seating configurations. Last night was a perfect night for outdoor dining.

The previous night, we celebrated my birthday with a sunset ferry ride around the Norwalk Harbor, so inspired by that we started the meal with Copps Island oysters (from Norwalk) and I tried their clam pie with Copps Island littlenecks, olive oil, garlic, oregano, lemon and parmesan. It was exactly what I wanted when I ordered it, the only caveat is that I wish it were a little less heavy handed on the parmesan. Like, when you have really good parmesan you only need a little bit to compliment the flavors and the flavor was overpowered a bit masking some of the lemon and clam flavor. A glass of Montepulciano d'Aruzzo paired wonderfully.

I was there along with seven other members of my family, all first time visitors of M5PC and they loved it too.

If you are in the Norwalk area and haven't tried it yet, do it. If you live near the New Haven line, it's just an oyster shell's throw away from the East Norwalk station.
Work nearby so I'll have to try it.

Reaction Score
What are some recommendations for pizza (not in New Haven) if I'm taking 95/Merritt on my way up from Fairfield County to Middletown?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What are some recommendations for pizza (not in New Haven) if I'm taking 95/Merritt on my way up from Fairfield County to Middletown?

Olde World Apizza right off Merritt Pkwy on Whitney Avenue NorthHaven/Hamden line. Open @ 3p
Can't go wrong with Olde World; I would add Zuppardi's in West Haven or Little Rendezvous in Meriden as other good options.

Reaction Score
Only problem with OW is they have what, 2 tables for dining? Not sure why you are going through New Haven and want apizza but not in New Haven

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Can't go wrong with Olde World; I would add Zuppardi's in West Haven or Little Rendezvous in Meriden as other good options.
Little Rendezvous continues to elude me like no other. Every time I have been in or passing through Meriden in the past several years, it has been a full or near miss:

Always closed on M or T.

A temporary shut down due to an employee's COVID after they'd weathered the earlier widespread disruption.

My friends' band playing live music at a notable Meriden hot dog place, and too many people I hadn't seen in a while for me to depart early and get to a second place on the same night.

Most recently, an early closure due to a family party off-site, when I really thought I'd set things up perfectly.

And, most frustratingly, at least two full moon sunset hikes at Ragged Mountain where the leader was committed to staying with the vista that looks out past Lake Compounce until it was full darkness and a far more challenging descent for the all-levels group. Once, we lingered to ooh & ah at the lighting that was approaching from the west before we took a steeper route to make better time through woods that were occasionally lit up quite brightly by a storm too close by to wisely walk through. And another time, we got lost on the way down, which added too much back-end time after many of us had gone through the cave-like fissures in the cliff face beneath the overlook. In both instances we never saw the moonrise and things were pushed beyond the 10pm Little Rendezvous closing time.

It does make me more eager finally get there. I hope the pizza is worth the wait. I like the picture of their oven on their website's home page.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Not CT, but had some quite good Neopolitan style Pizza in South Yarmouth, MA at Sweet Tomatoes.

The funny part is reading the trip advisor reviews. "Barely any cheese" "thin crust" "burnt". You just know these folks wanted "house of" pizza or some chain crap. SWEET TOMATOES NEAPOLITAN PIZZA, South Yarmouth - Menu, Prices & Restaurant Reviews - Tripadvisor
I’ve been to their East Sandwich location, both as a kid (about 30 years ago), and the past few summers. It’s definitely solid pizza.

Reaction Score
Thanks - they both look great. I've had the new haven spots so I wanted to try something a little different. I don't go north of Fairfield county much anymore so when I do I want to take advantage of all the options.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Not by the looks of what this girl in the video is eating.

1658502419359.png

How in hell does one clean those things? They've got to get pretty disgusting over the course of a day.

Reaction Score
Little Rendezvous continues to elude me like no other. Every time I have been in or passing through Meriden in the past several years, it has been a full or near miss:

Always closed on M or T.

A temporary shut down due to an employee's COVID after they'd weathered the earlier widespread disruption.

My friends' band playing live music at a notable Meriden hot dog place, and too many people I hadn't seen in a while for me to depart early and get to a second place on the same night.

Most recently, an early closure due to a family party off-site, when I really thought I'd set things up perfectly.

And, most frustratingly, at least two full moon sunset hikes at Ragged Mountain where the leader was committed to staying with the vista that looks out past Lake Compounce until it was full darkness and a far more challenging descent for the all-levels group. Once, we lingered to ooh & ah at the lighting that was approaching from the west before we took a steeper route to make better time through woods that were occasionally lit up quite brightly by a storm too close by to wisely walk through. And another time, we got lost on the way down, which added too much back-end time after many of us had gone through the cave-like fissures in the cliff face beneath the overlook. In both instances we never saw the moonrise and things were pushed beyond the 10pm Little Rendezvous closing time.

It does make me more eager finally get there. I hope the pizza is worth the wait. I like the picture of their oven on their website's home page.
I really wouldn't waste your time at Little Rendezvous. I was very underwhelmed.

Reaction Score
Had a plain small pizza at Olde World in North Haven today. Just tomato sauce, supplemented with the toppings below.

Nice crust, toppings of chicken, eggplant, artichoke.

Crust as good as any other places. Tasty pie.

Appreciate the recommendations for this place, from the Yarders who ate there.

Just call them up and it's ready when they say it is. Convenient in a small plaza.

Reaction Score
Another week, another Friday at Magic 5 Pizza Co.

This time, we went out with two friends from Wilton for their first visit.

Tried the Diavola (tomato sauce, mozz, kalamata olives, basil, hot oil (hold the spicy sopressata for my wife) and the Native Son (burrata, prosciutto, truffle ricotta and baby arugula).

Yet again, two bangers. The Diavola delicately blended sweet/spice/salt while the Native Son was surprisingly good since I usually don't like white pizzas because they are typically too rich. However, this one was one of the lightest white pizzas I've ever tried and the truffle ricotta was gentle, probably real truffle oil instead of the awful imitation stuff most people use.

In total, I've tried six different pizzas in three visits and the only one I didn't truly love was the potato pie (bland...the flavor was dependent on the bacon, which, is not a direction I want to go).

For the wine lovers, I'm also impressed with their small, yet well-curated wine list. It's been fun getting recommendations from their sommelier based on the pizzas ordered.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Just want to note that I have now had pizza four days in a row. And I'm not complaining.

Friday night my wife was out at a work function so I picked up takeout from Bufalina for my daughter and me. One pie with local peaches, aisago and speck; and one Tre Carne (San Marzanos, mozz, speck, salame piccante and sausage).

Saturday met friends at the beach for dinner and had Grand Apizza delivered (artichoke & eggplant; margherita; Hawaiian with cherry peppers).

Wife and daughter were away last night, so for dinnner I ate the Grand Apizza leftovers from Saturday.

Today a good friend and her father, who is also a friend, were in town for some business and wanted to get lunch. Being from out of town, of course they wanted New Haven apizza. They specifically called out wanting white clam, and also liking sausage. And of course that meant that I had to bring them to Zuppardi's, which they've never had (or even heard of). One fresh shucked white clam; one special (housemade fennel sausage with mushrooms). Suffice to say that they were blown away.

As I said, I'm not complaining. Each meal (except for the Sunday leftovers) was entirely different, and entirely delicious.

Reaction Score
Was back in the northeast (NYC) last weekend for Dead & Co. and a Yankees/Red Sox game. Grabbed 2 slices at Rays (54th and 7th) on Thursday night. Had one slice at Rays (7th and 49th) on Friday night. Had lunch on Saturday and dinner on Sunday at John’s of Bleeker. Flight home on Monday was cancelled so took the train up to New Haven for a late afternoon Pepe’s. All in all more pizza than I have eaten in the last year here in the vast pizza wasteland of Texas.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom