OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 249 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Latest top 50 in USA list - in NY Post today. No NH! Of the 9 NY mentioned, only head of 1, and it's not so hot.

The site is "Fine Dining" and the sponsor is San Pellegrino, so take that into account, along with the following criteria:

How are the pizzerias ranked?​

The ranking is the result of a year of anonymous inspections of pizzerias located thoroughout the US by 50 Top Pizza inspectors. The pizzerias are assessed on quality of the dough and toppings, service, the wine and beer lists and customer service.

You think Pepe's or Sally's are going to make a list based on wine/beer lists and customer service?

Reaction Score
The site is "Fine Dining" and the sponsor is San Pellegrino, so take that into account, along with the following criteria:

You think Pepe's or Sally's are going to make a list based on wine/beer lists and customer service?

Why would anyone in their right mind rank a pizza based on the beer selection? That's the silliest thing I've ever heard.

Reaction Score

Yeah, that list isn't ranking the best tasting pizza, which is mostly what I care about.

I've only been to a hand full of those places. Pasquale's is good local pizza in the Narragansett area, but if that's the 33rd best pizza in the U.S. then this country is a serious pizza wasteland!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yeah, that list isn't ranking the best tasting pizza, which is mostly what I care about.

I've only been to a hand full of those places. Pasquale's is good local pizza in the Narragansett area, but if that's the 33rd best pizza in the U.S. then this country is a serious pizza wasteland!
That list is for people who eat pizza with a fork ;-)

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
weird. can see a comment when unsigned in, but can't when signed in.
anyway, that comment said something like that review thing is for people who eat pizza with a fork. i say 'that review is for people who are dorks.'

international pizza review dorkiness, on full display:
He’s the anonymous man who knows where to find the best pizza in Hong Kong
the guys method of evaluation is legit tho his judgement is burdened by a lack of holyland experience. better than that review where pizza 'chefs' are crying becuz they got to meet a bogus 'champion' hash slinger whose all aboot the public relations. sad.
check out most of the photos which bear a striking similarity to what us
BY bon vivant chow savants would call 'bowling alley pizza.'
Connecticut za rules. everywhere else is an abitz dessert.

Reaction Score
Wife and I actually went to a Pizza Hut Saturday. We were driving home, happened to see one and hit it on a nostalgic whim.

Boy was I every sorry. Truly is the McDonald's of pizza, you ask me. Worse than Domino's, Little Caesar's and Papa John's and Sbarro......although all of 'em more or less serve a combination of ingredients loosely organized to resemble the wonderful thing we gather here to debate, as opposed to the thing itself.

Never again.

Reaction Score
Wife and I actually went to a Pizza Hut Saturday. We were driving home, happened to see one and hit it on a nostalgic whim.

Boy was I every sorry. Truly is the McDonald's of pizza, you ask me. Worse than Domino's, Little Caesar's and Papa John's and Sbarro......although all of 'em more or less serve a combination of ingredients loosely organized to resemble the wonderful thing we gather here to debate, as opposed to the thing itself.

Never again.
Sbarro always struck me as a cut above those others. I am 100 % in agreement on Pizza Hut though. The last time I had it was about 30 years ago, and for good reason.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Had Dominoes last night...don't ask why. It was worse than it has been in the past. Got Brooklyn crust, which is their best iteration.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
whoa, three on a match. pizza hut, dominoes, and, in my case, mystic frozen pizza. not sure why, but seeing it in the freezer, next to some ice cream that i stopped in the local market to buy, i thought 'never had that before. let's check it out.'
i like to compare apples to apples, and so, like all frozens that i make, i juiced it up with the usual add ons -extra cheese, mushrooms, garlic, and such. and, it being a 'local' product, i was already favorably predisposed to not be too critical, and i generally like most frozens for what they are.

this was inedible, and the mark left on my soul is indelible. evil bad, and i actually tossed the remainder into the trash, which almost never happens for me. check that -never.

got english muffin za with tomato sauce and sliced cheese? i'll eat it and say 'not bad.' not this stuff. horrific.
as usual, it always starts with the crust. this was not crust. it may not even be dough. the box said 'with uncured pepperoni,' whatever that means. all i know is that it should say 'uncivilized cracker thing.'
gross.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Went to Zuppardi’s today. Was at IKEA getting some stuff and called in a fresh clam pie.

Said it before and I’ll say it again. The best apizza out there. King of the hill.

Did you have to assemlble the pizza yourself?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Definitely top 3 in the underrated department. That sourdough crust is sublime. Sadly, very few ‘yarders would travel to the southwestern most part of CT to try it.
'Sadly, very few ‘yarders would travel to the southwestern most part of CT to try it.'

u got that right.
lately, where i live, more folks seem to say 'i ain't headin west over the Q unless it's a national emergency.' used to be a question for folks around here - costco Milford or costco East Lyme?
no more. and we ain't sad. not one bit.

Reaction Score
Definitely top 3 in the underrated department. That sourdough crust is sublime. Sadly, very few ‘yarders would travel to the southwestern most part of CT to try it.
If you're traveling south out of CT or north into CT via I95, then its worth the 3-5 min ride to get there off exit 3.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Since I was going to be traveling through this weekend, this caught my eye. And now I have questions, because I'm kind of in "pizza price shock" looking at their site. The basic pizza is already $4 more than an excellent Neopolitan pizza around me. And then $5 per topping? I can get a Neopolitan with bufala mozzarella, gorgonzola, pecans, prosciutto, rosemary, honey, parmigiano reggiano, and evoo for $20 here and it's really good.

And how is a margherita $7 more than the basic pizza?

And how much hot oil do they use to charge $3.50 for it?

I've paid the asking price for Pepe's before because it's Pepe's, and I realize this is Greenwich, but is this pricing the norm out there these days?

I guess the cost of living in Pittsburgh really is damned cheap!

Reaction Score
Since I was going to be traveling through this weekend, this caught my eye. And now I have questions, because I'm kind of in "pizza price shock" looking at their site. The basic pizza is already $4 more than an excellent Neopolitan pizza around me. And then $5 per topping? I can get a Neopolitan with bufala mozzarella, gorgonzola, pecans, prosciutto, rosemary, honey, parmigiano reggiano, and evoo for $20 here and it's really good.

And how is a margherita $7 more than the basic pizza?

And how much hot oil do they use to charge $3.50 for it?

I've paid the asking price for Pepe's before because it's Pepe's, and I realize this is Greenwich, but is this pricing the norm out there these days?

I guess the cost of living in Pittsburgh really is damned cheap!
Funny you mention because I actually hadn’t had a Grigg Street pizza in a year and checked earlier to see if anything has changed. Prices have increased on the pizza and sandwiches, but this place has been expensive since day one because… right off Greenwich Ave + quality ingredients. The clientele is mostly Greenwich, so mostly price-insensitive. Also, price increases for ingredients are being passed on to the consumer. Everywhere.

For context, I’ll present the reality in Stamford with one of my regular go-to spots and an example I know you’re familiar with: Mario the Baker on High Ridge. A large pie was was $13.95 and most toppings were $1.50 in the summer of 2021. Today, a large is $15.95 and most toppings are $2.75. Noticeable increase, but as you know, Greenwich (and for that matter, New Canaan and Darien) and Stamford are still worlds apart.

Reaction Score
Good question. I think I'd say Olde World.

Olde World is now my go to. They really do a great job.

One thing that I will never understand is the undying love for Ernie's in New Haven. I've now had it twice and was so underwhelmed both times that I can't for the life of me figure out how some people proclaim it to be the best. It's a solid pie but certainly not in the ballpark of any of the big boys including Olde World and Modern, at least in my opinion. Either I'm missing something or some people just vastly overrate their hometown favorite.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Yeah. No thanks. It took me 2 hours and 45 minutes to do 83 miles from Old Lyme to portchester on a midday Saturday afternoon. To make a few hundred bucks . and it almost wasn’t worth it. I’m certainly not driving past west haven on a weekend from here. But maybe sometime on way back from city.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom