Baylor Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Baylor Postgame Thread

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
When we had all those players on the bench we learned how to play without them. Tonite with Edwards on the bench and Nika in foul trouble that learning experience paid off. Everybody stepped up. Griff was a game changer and it was Azzi Time when Edwards was out. Both stepped up and everybody else stepped up big time. Dorka is so steady. Caroline and Azzi back and we are a different team. Next Ohio St. Dorkas old team. Hey how much has Dorka improved since coming to UCOnn

Reaction Score
This is what I wrote after the Vermont game, "This is the Uconn team that I have been watching for the last 10 years" and I repeat , this is Uconn BB. Sure, Baylor put a small scare on us in the first quarter, but the Uconn team I've been watching would not be concerned as they knew they were better and would prevail. Every one knew they would win and by how much did not enter into the conversation, they just knew. I believe that this was in their minds when the 3rd quarter started and every one on the floor took care of business and coasted to the win. I have the highest hopes for this team in the rest of the NC. Ohio State will not know what hit them as Uconn heads to Seattle for the next 3 games. The exuberance and smiles on the teams faces was fantastic and Geno's hug of NIKA showed her how happy he was with her. This is a big bonus for Geno as TARA VANDERVEER's Stanford team has been knocked out and she was 7 games ahead of Geno. Now is his chance to close the gap. GO GENO!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
Having Azzi back has obviously been a huge difference, but I honestly feel like having Caroline is almost as big. The team plays better with her out there and she is constantly making cuts or deflecting passes.

I feel pretty good about our chances with her out there.
I agree about Caroline. And she is still not 100%, IMO.

Reaction Score
A very nice win against a pretty good team. The first quarter featured UConn turnovers and 6 Baylor 3s, ending in UConn down 6. After that UConn took charge - up 5 at half, up 12 at the end of the 3rd Q and winning by 19.

Azzi shot a lot and scored 22 points. We've been waiting for an Azzi game like this for a good while. She only made 3 of 12 three pointers but was 9 of 11 inside the arc. When she starts making 3s at the clip we know she can that kid is capable of really big scoring nights.

Aubrey was just so good. Here game was exactly as it should be with the current team. She shot 2 for 5, which is about right. She knows as well as we do that there are better scorers around her so she has no need to be jacking up a lot of shots. She had 6 offensive and 6 defensive rebounds and the intensity she showed in rebounding was scary. The third quarter was all Azzi scoring and all Aubrey doing everything but scoring.

It seemed like a more quiet game for AE what with sitting out with foul trouble for awhile. She only went 9 for 11 and 4 boards. AE has had a good string of games where she has been dominant and is peaking at a good time.

CD had another sneaky good game. Some scoring - 4 of 6 with 2 threes and 6 boards and tough defense.

Nike adding to her assist collection and heaving in that long 3 as the half ended.

Dorka played a good solid game at both ends of the floor. Nothing spectacular but very solid.

It took until somewhere in the 3Q before i stopped worrying that we might lose. In the end an easy win. Nice. Sweet 16 here we come!

Reaction Score
Monster game by Aubrey; remlnded me of Gabby Williams tonight. A dozen boards, equally split between O and D. Dorka a really steady game at both ends. Nika 10 dimes. Loved Lou's wraparound assist to Aaliyah. A good lesson for Aaliyah tonight on how she has to control her PFs. CD was right there when we needed her tonight. Azzi's % could have been better, but she's rounding into shape. Everytime she misses, I say "Keep shooting, Azzi." And she is a high-volume shooter, scoring 22 on 22 shots (both numbers higher than anybody else in the game). She was only in the low 30s on her 22 FGAs, but the more she can shoot -- and she does get open -- the more she is going to score. And pretty soon, those shots will start dropping more consistently. I thought the foul-shooting could have been a little better, but in the first half I think they were a little distracted by the Baylor cheerleaders, who were waving their pom-poms under UConn's basket whenever we went to the line. I thought that was extremely rude. You don't go into someone else's house and do something like that. (NB: The UConn cheerleaders, at the other end of the court, did NOT try to distract Baylor free-throwers.)

Geno said this would be an exciting tournament, and so far he has been spot on. Two ones and a three will not make it to the SS. Opponents' 3-point shooting has hurt us this year, but I don't think tOSU will present as great an outside threat as Baylor did.

Thanks, team. Your fans go to bed happy tonight.

Reaction Score
Gutsy win. UConn is the most battle tested team in the country. Period. Lou playing on one good leg. Caroline can barely move side to side. Aubrey playing with a numb back. Azzi probably at 70% physically and mentally. Yet, the girls refuse to quit!

UConn did not play their best game. A good, athletic Baylor team with quality wins played very well. Yet, we win by 19.

This, never die mindset will carry UConn to another Final Four. Let's go!

Reaction Score
Shooters need to keep shooting. Shooters can be streaky. It is what it is. For those that follow the men, Jordan Hawkins was cold in the first half of their game vs St Mary's, but exploded in the 2nd half. Much like Azzi tonight. Uncanny really. Both are really great shooters who need to keep shooting. They are essential for the teams to pull away.

Reaction Score
This was the only NCAA tourney game today that sold out. Most games today averaged less than 5000 fans.
Indiana did have 14,000 in a 17,000 seat arena, so kudos to them.
But Duke had less than 2,000 spectators tonight in a prime time game at their home arena.
While I realize that some games were during the day, UCONN would have sold out regardless of gametime. Husky fans are definitely their sixth man (woman)!

Reaction Score
Having Azzi back has obviously been a huge difference, but I honestly feel like having Caroline is almost as big. The team plays better with her out there and she is constantly making cuts or deflecting passes.

I feel pretty good about our chances with her out there.
Excellent point, Dawson. Caroline is 8 of 10 from the floor for the last two games, had six rebounds three assists tonight in just 19 minutes.

I loved Azzi's hot streak there in the third period, and she combined with Aubrey to break it open. Still, Azzi is clearly the team's volume shooter, and has yet to show she's got her stroke back from three (3 of 12 tonight, 9 of 38 since her return). Honestly, with Caroline and Lou combining for just 10 shots while Azzi had 22, I'd rather the offense be more balanced until Azzi's production warrants all those shots. How quickly we forget what Lou has done for the team this year and what Caroline can do if given more opportunities.

I know this won't be a popular post tonight, but 9 of 38?

Reaction Score
Both SC and UConn’s brackets had no upsets, which makes the Sweet 16 matchups challenging. If both of them make it to the Final Four, the road to the Final will be much easier. Incredible tournament so far, with huge crowds.

Reaction Score
A very nice win against a pretty good team. The first quarter featured UConn turnovers and 6 Baylor 3s, ending in UConn down 6. After that UConn took charge - up 5 at half, up 12 at the end of the 3rd Q and winning by 19.

Azzi shot a lot and scored 22 points. We've been waiting for an Azzi game like this for a good while. She only made 3 of 12 three pointers but was 9 of 11 inside the arc. When she starts making 3s at the clip we know she can that kid is capable of really big scoring nights.

Aubrey was just so good. Here game was exactly as it should be with the current team. She shot 2 for 5, which is about right. She knows as well as we do that there are better scorers around her so she has no need to be jacking up a lot of shots. She had 6 offensive and 6 defensive rebounds and the intensity she showed in rebounding was scary. The third quarter was all Azzi scoring and all Aubrey doing everything but scoring.

It seemed like a more quiet game for AE what with sitting out with foul trouble for awhile. She only went 9 for 11 and 4 boards. AE has had a good string of games where she has been dominant and is peaking at a good time.

CD had another sneaky good game. Some scoring - 4 of 6 with 2 threes and 6 boards and tough defense.

Nike adding to her assist collection and heaving in that long 3 as the half ended.

Dorka played a good solid game at both ends of the floor. Nothing spectacular but very solid.

It took until somewhere in the 3Q before i stopped worrying that we might lose. In the end an easy win. Nice. Sweet 16 here we come!
Do you post assuming no one has watched the game, or are you trying to fill in the details for the few who haven’t?

Reaction Score
When we had all those players on the bench we learned how to play without them. Tonite with Edwards on the bench and Nika in foul trouble that learning experience paid off. Everybody stepped up. Griff was a game changer and it was Azzi Time when Edwards was out. Both stepped up and everybody else stepped up big time. Dorka is so steady. Caroline and Azzi back and we are a different team. Next Ohio St. Dorkas old team. Hey how much has Dorka improved since coming to UCOnn
I don't know how much she's improved, Tony, but she was 1st team all-Big Ten twice for the Buckeyes, so Geno knew he was getting a topnotch player.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I was at the game and it was a wonderful way to cap off the Gampel season. Everyone contributed big time!

It was definitely nerve racking early on when Baylor was draining those uncontested threes but we tightened up the defense after that. In the interview after the game, Chris Dailey (listende to her interviewed by Bob Joyce on the ride home) said Baylor was getting wherever they wanted early but after that we were able to clean up the switches and keep them on one side of the court to limit their options.

I thought our guards did a decent job of keeping Baylor`s quick guards in front of them and the help defense was very good when one of them got by.

Andrews only had five points on 2 of 13 shooting, that was primarily Nika although Aubrey had her at times as well. Bickle only had three points and was a total non-factor.

I simply cannot get enough of Nika Muhl. She plays with such passion, with such emotion and that buzzer beater in front of the student section was electric! Geno gave her a huge hug when she came out of the game at the end. Well deserved. I think this team has a special place in Geno`s heart.

The students were amazing and Geno went over after the game and applauded them. Classy move by a classy guy.

I was watching Aubrey in warmups and she looked much more fluid than she did on Saturday, when she looked rather stiff before the game. She was an absolute beast out there. You could tell that Aubrey tweaked her back on an awkward play under our hoop but I was overjoyed to see her return to the bench and ecstatic that she came back into the game. Nice that both Lou and Aubrey were around at the end and what a moment when Lou hit the final three, the last points to be scored on that court. That will be a trivia question in a few years. I`m thinking we will be healthy going into next weekend.

I think that Azzi has now shot herself out of the slump. Man, was she amazing in that third quarter, 16 points! If Aaliyah had to go to the bench with four fouls in the third quarter a month ago, Azzi would not have been available to take over and we may very well have ended up in a nail biter.

One thing I did not understand is why did the basket count on the play where Lou was whacked in the head, intentional foul. Did they explain that on television? it seemed to me that the foul clearly happened before the shot was taken.

And how on earth did Dorka get that shot to go in???:D

The Baylor coach, Collen, is demonstrative to the point of being apoplectic. I don`t know if that was captured on television or not. The referees showed some restraint in not teeing her up, I thought.

It was nice to see a lot of the men`s players there, and I think Danny Hurley was there as well. And Maya Moore, the legend. I was in Section 211 and the UConn players were in 112. Also in the lower section below me with fabulous seats were two nuns who were taking selfies before the game. I had a Catholic school education so I am well aware of the fact that they were violating numerous rules, vows, etc., etc. but they were cheering for UConn so all is forgiven!

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but does anyone else think we have another date with Tennessee next Monday?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom