Baylor Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Baylor Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Great win! I agree that Aubrey really brought it tonight. She did so much while only scoring 4 points. 2nd, 3rd effort on rebounds kept offense moving, and her defense was terrific. Azzi getting closer and closer, and we needed her scoring. Caroline very efficient scoring, rebounds and assists. Lou, is hurting, but she is a gamer. Edwards and Dorka solid, and Nika - Nika! Needed this to unwind, now off to bed, looks like Colorado will take down Duke. What a night!

Reaction Score
Fudd can miss 10 shots in a row, but you better not leave her open! Tonight she had a good mix of pull-ups, behind the arc, and a drive.

Geno gave Muhl a big hug when she exited the game.

Griffin was huge with her rebounds and overall energy.

Nice seeing Maya Moore. She and the hubby were really into the game! :cool:

Reaction Score
Was a great win today. The team started a little slow on defense in the first quarter allowing Baylor 24 points. They only scored another 34 for the rest of the game.

1. We won the rebound battle 42 to 31. Aubrey had a spectacular stretch where she made several offensive rebounds.
2. We had 23 assists on 32 field goal attempts. We made points in the paint and from the outside. Ball moved well during several stretches where we made runs.
3. In the end, we took 62 shots to their 61.

Azzi started slow but picked up as the game evolved to score a quiet 22 points. Aaliyah spent time on the bench on account of foul trouble and still managed to score 19. Dorka had a solid game with 11 points and 7 rebounds. She made an amazing basket as she was falling to the floor! Lou got hurt early by an intentional foul. She made strong contributions down the stretch. Nika had 10 assists and only 2 turnovers. She had a spectacular half court shot at the end of the first half. Caroline had a strong game, scoring 10 points and getting 6 rebounds.

Looking ahead, we need to contain turnovers and not miss easy layups. These are fixable problems and will make the team very formidable in the remaining rounds of the tournament.

Congratulations to Baylor for a great season and a good showing today. They played hard and shot 12 3-pointers out of 29 shots. Today was not their day for a win. Looking forward to a home and away series with them.

Seattle, here we come!!

Reaction Score
Azzi played great tonight, AE played great tonight in limited action, and Caroline also played really really good. Dorka and Nika both played really solid games as they usually do in a game where they were both tested on defense. But the one who really hustled and made a huge difference was Aubrey who made a lot of huge plays rebounding especially on the offensive end and shut down on defense.

The only negative was Geno at the end when he emptied his bench and didn't put in Amari. I hope she was sick or injured because I love Geno but that was a low class move if not.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I think Edwards’ foul trouble was a blessing in disguise. We wound up during a critical stretch with basically four guards and the perimeter defense changed dramatically. As has been mentioned, it gave Aubrey more floor time and she came through.

Reaction Score
Baylor was the team Boneyarders have been afraid of all season. Oh, we didn’t know it would be Baylor specifically but the specter of a perimeter oriented team with a bunch of quick guards scared the bejeezus out of a group here. Well, I guess we know the Huskies can win those games, too
That’s good, because we have another to look forward to in Seattle- tOSU. Hoping Lou can heal up a little before then.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I'm ok with this being a close game for approx 28 mins. After an easy 1st round game, unless there is an mis-seed or an upset, there are fewer blowouts in the 2nd round, and those blowouts don't prepare you for the regionals. This team needed a challenge and to figure out how to solve it, dig deep, and get the win, which will prepare them for next weekend.

Reaction Score
I think Edwards’ foul trouble was a blessing in disguise. We wound up during a critical stretch with basically four guards and the perimeter defense changed dramatically. As has been mentioned, it gave Aubrey more floor time and she came through.
I think you're on to something here. In the 3rd quarter, we may have been better off with the smaller lineup. Once Baylor was exhausted in the 4th, Aaliyah could return and be the hammer that broke their spirit.

Reaction Score
AUBREY!, AUBREY!, AUBREY! - she just has a way of knowing how that ball is going to bounce off the rim, and she goes for it. What an effort tonight. And Nika again was the energizer bunny, what a floor general. And of course, welcome back Azzi with the most beautiful jump shot on the planet.

Reaction Score
While Aubrey & Azzi were great, an unsung hero(ine) tonight was Caroline. UCONN was struggling & Baylor was very confident when she entered the game. She immediately changed the tempo, calmed down the team, & allowed UCONN to settle into their game.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It was a scrappy win, a scrappy game...tough

-In the first half Baylor got open too often for threes
-The fouls hurt
-Lou wasn't shooting (not completely right?) and
Azzi wasn't hitting
-The turnover bug

in the 2nd half the D was more concentrated, the turnovers receded, Azzi started to hit (as Geno had prophesied, she can turn a game around in minutes)...
Caroline continued to make plays and Aubrey did her superwoman imitation.

But it wasn't easy and the team can play better...all tough games from now on, but I think we'll see at least one game where the team cuts the heart and will from an opponent early and waltzes home.

They haven't reach their potential yet.

Reaction Score
Some Thoughts on the Baylor game:
  • FANTASTIC WIN BY THE HUSKIES TONIGHT!!! EVERY HUSKY CAME UP BIG AT KEY TIMES DURING THE GAME. GREAT TEAM EFFORT!!!
  • To all my fellow BY’ers who stayed up way past our bedtime, we can sleep peacefully now, knowing that the Huskies have advanced to a record 29th straight Sweet 16 with a hard-fought win over a tough Baylor team.
  • Tonight was a game when UConn needed someone to be great and take over the game. Unfortunately, with Paige on the bench until next season, that player had to be AZZI FUDD, AND SHE DELIVERED MAGNIFICENTLY!!!
  • This is a different Baylor team then we are used to. They have a bunch of athletic guards who spread the floor and can shoot the ball. Baylor runs a lot of double-screens and sophisticated action to get open looks at the arc, and they are very difficult to defend.
  • All season we have taken for granted that Aaliyah had learned to play without fouling, something that plagued her at times during her first two seasons. Tonight, it came back like a bad cold that flares up after you thought you beat it. With Aaliyah on the bench, Aubrey stepped up tremendously on defense and with 12 rebounds in limited minutes to fill a huge void for the Huskies.
  • I think if Nicki Colen wore a jacket instead of a sweatshirt it would have ended up in the stands or on the court after the offensive foul call on Bickle against Aaliyah. :D
  • How big was Nika’s buzzer beater at the half, not to mention her 10 assists, tough defense and great leadership?
  • Lots of upsets today. But UConn wasn't going to be one of them. :cool:
  • Survive and advance. Bring on tOSU….
I'm not sure what you mean by staying up late.... the game was over at about 8 here in CA.. .lol I agree Azzi was awesome, though I think she was only 3 for 12 or so from 3... she needs to start hitting them!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It was a scrappy win, a scrappy game...tough

-In the first half Baylor got open too often for threes
-The fouls..
-Lou wasn't shooting (not completely right?) and
Azzi wasn't hitting
-The turnover bug

in the 2nd half the D was more concentrated, the turnovers receded, Azzi started to hit (as Geno had prophesied, she can turn a game around in minutes)...
Caroline continued to make plays and

(my post got dismembered)
Aubrey did her superwoman imitation.With excellent play from Dorka and super leadership from Nika, the game turned around and we got a peek at UConn BB.

My impression is that even the opponents will be more and more gifted, we still haven't unleashed the true potential of our gang and at least one of the next games will see a game in which we cut the heart and desire out early and waltz to an emphatic win

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At the end of the first half with seconds to play Ball States freshman Hana Muhl threw up a shot just past half court and made it. Same with her big sis, Nika. She too made a 3 pointer from just past half court to end the half. Gotta love those Muhl girls.

Reaction Score
OH.MY.GOD! What an atmosphere!! Finally out of the parking lot, a long 2 hour ride, but I'm high on the play of our heroes!! Geno made sure to head to the student section to give them thanks and praise...THEY WERE INCREDIBLE!! LOUD AND PROUD!!
The players were all hugging and celebrating after the game, and took to the court to give Thanks to their fans. Maya, had to enjoy this one too!!
I have absolutely NO regrets for paying $$$ for season tickets, and I'll do it every year. What a joy to live here, in the BASKETBALL CAPITAL OF THE WORLD!
Now I can't wait to watch it on TV tomorrow morning!
Good night, fellow fans!

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Lots of people stepped up but I got to give an atta girl to Caroline for her play. First game 4-4 from the field and 2-2 from 3. Tonight 4-6 from the field and 2-4 from 3.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom