Bad news: Positive Covid Test- Team to Pause Activities [MERGED THREAD] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Bad news: Positive Covid Test- Team to Pause Activities [MERGED THREAD]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
“It’s going to be a nightmare,” Iona coach Rick Pitino told Yahoo Sports. “They’re just trying to rush it to get to March, and it’s not worth risking everyone’s health."

The most noteworthy thing about that quote? Read the long article linked below.
Most of it is about money, rather than the well-being of the kids and those around them.

Reaction Score
Praying for the UConn Women’s BB Staff & Players and hoping an outbreak doesn’t occur.

Not sure when Louisville was traveling to Mohegan, but maybe they can take UConn’s place in the Women’s Challenge. #5 L’ville vs. #6 Miss St. would be a nice replacement treat to watch.

Reaction Score
Back in May a lot of us were skeptical that there would be a 20-21 season, myself included. In October it looked like the season could happen in some way, shape and form. Now, who knows. I get the feeling that any season there will be will be chaos - games cancelled and a scramble to find new opponents, teams playing different numbers of games, playing shorthanded. It may look more like a series of exhibition games than a real season. I'd rather the NCAA just mandate the season run from April through June and hope players will have been vacinated by then.

Reaction Score
Sports teams can come and go without quarantining just like you could as long as you stay in the state for less than a day or whatever that threshold is. Other states have the same rule so that people that live and work in different states don't have to quarantine just for going to work every day.
Most football teams get in town the day before the game. Maybe it’s 24 hours */-

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Guess I feel that way also but there are things more important than basketball, praying for the young lady to have mild case and vaccine to be available soon.

I feel that way for a lot of reasons...

When I think about whoever it might be who tested positive you never know what version of the illness this person will get. The unknown course of this illness is, IMO, one of the scariest things about it. Also, for their mental health, because I’m sure they’re feeling like they let down so many people and wondering what they could have done differently.

I feel that way when I think about Evina, who has been to Hell and back just trying to get to this weekend.

When I look at those six freshmen, whose growth hinges on each practice practice (both physically and with their knowledge of the game and system), who I’m sure are worried what could happen without the structure of the next two weeks.

For the stress the whole program will be under while waiting for the results of every test for the next two weeks, hoping they’re not the one that’ll restart the timer or the next one who has to worry about what course the virus will take in them.

And all of that is just scratching the surface...

So, while I am, admittedly, a little sad I have to wait two more weeks to see these ladies take the floor, there is a whole lot more to how all of us are feeling.

Reaction Score
Disappointing to have the season start so close. Now we are at least 3 weeks away.

Most importantly, I hope all affiliated with the team are safe and recover fully. Hard to see this season happening. If positive results yield 14 day shutdowns, I foresee a very interrupted season for many teams.

Not only can one die of this disease, among those who recover, many suffer permanent and severe organ damage, and many also suffer through months of "brain fog." The season could be the least of the damage for our UConn players and coaches. Asia Durr opted out of the entire WNBA season due to a difficult recovery from Covid.

Reaction Score
First and foremost wanna say I hope everyone involved with the program is okay and will be okay.

To address your post I totally agree, I really don’t see how as winter approaches and this virus makes its comeback there’s anyway to keep it from disrupting many many games for many many programs. At that point is it really a legitimate season of college basketball if teams are dropping so many games, and is it fair if the NCAA tournament starts (which is a big if at this point) and some teams who’ve had less disrupted seasons and more games to learn from are playing teams that are not as competitive because their seasons have been ravaged.

And finally I’m perplexed as to the seemingly obvious lack of leadership by the NCAA and the conferences. I know things are more complicated than I know but there should have been protocols in places months ago and an effort to reach widespread consensus between the NCAA and the conferences in order to ensure the season could go on as best as possible and I don’t think that’s been the case. They seem to be taking it week by week, no real plan. With how successful the bubbles have been I don’t know why that wasn’t insisted upon. If anyone thought this lackadaisical approach would work with college kids they’re fools. You’d think they’d care more since it’s literally their job to care about this and only this.

The Connecticut teachers union just demanded that all schools in Connecticut go "remote" for the remainder of the term at least. Connecticut's infection rate continues to rise sharply, registering more than 5,000 cases from Friday through Sunday. And most of the state's towns and cities have for several days been considered "red zones."

Unfortunately, though the team might play in a venue considered a "bubble," they do not live in a bubble. This is all around them. And us.

Reaction Score
Praying for whoever it is that is positive. I had surgery two weeks ago and am laid up, looking forward to Saturday's coverage was giving me life! So disappointed, but the bigger picture is more important. Hopefully soon we can see WBB in some form!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Damn, damn, damn. My first thoughts are with the players, coaches and staff to weather this out safely.

To me personally, its a crusher, the season starting was my light on the top of the hill.......its still there, but now there are a few more valleys for us to pass through along the way.
You get to the other side, adjust your actions accordingly and move on.

CL82

Reaction Score
This also affects the race to catch Pat Summit. Unless something similar happens to Stanford, Tara should expand her lead over Geno, probably to a point that no matter how well Uconn does next year, Tara is likely to take that lead into the 22/23 season. I don't expect Stanford to lose more than 7-8 games over the next two years.
TBH, two years ago I didn't Geno to be able to catch Tara. Geno should still Pat this year. We'll see who wins in the long haul between Tara and Geno. While nice to have, that matters less to me.

CL82

Reaction Score
Praying for whoever it is that is positive. I had surgery two weeks ago and am laid up, looking forward to Saturday's coverage was giving me life! So disappointed, but the bigger picture is more important. Hopefully soon we can see WBB in some form!
I hope your recovery is going well Patty. FWIW the men's team play Wednesday (Central) and Friday (Hartford). Central is FS1 (Fox Sports 1) and Hartford is CBSSN (CBS Sports Net). Coach Dan Hurley has assembled an exciting young team. They will be fun to watch.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I know such considerations as what I am about to mention seem trivial, but basketball activities are suspended for 14 days. That means no practice. Whether the kids will have facilities access to keep in shape , I don't know, do you? This must be such a stinking disappointment to the program's personnel and players, and if testing turns up more cases the suspension will lengthen and put great strain on the program trying to hold it together for a truncated season. This scourge has turned our society and our norms/way of life upside down. What we have to fall back on is our kindness and support of one another. I wish there was a way we could demonstrate to our young Huskies our great support of them in this troubling time.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I know such considerations as what I am about to mention seem trivial, but basketball activities are suspended for 14 days. That means no practice. Whether the kids will have facilities access to keep in shape , I don't know, do you? This must be such a stinking disappointment to the program's personnel and players, and if testing turns up more cases the suspension will lengthen and put great strain on the program trying to hold it together for a truncated season. This scourge has turned our society and our norms/way of life upside down. What we have to fall back on is our kindness and support of one another. I wish there was a way we could demonstrate to our young Huskies our great support of them in this troubling time.
According to the Hartford Courant, the practice facilities and weight room are available to players under strict protocols. So I’m guessing that players can shoot or lift weights on their own or perhaps with a roommate for the next 14 days.

Reaction Score
With the way things are going, maybe the players will get an extra year of eligibility. In that case we could have Paige and Azzi together for four years.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With the way things are going, maybe the players will get an extra year of eligibility. In that case we could have Paige and Azzi together for four years.
That’s already a done deal per the NCAA. The problem that causes is a logjam of talent at many programs unless players decide to move on. Geno was not particularly enamored with the decision by the NCAA.

Reaction Score
First, I hope whoever has it recovers quickly and only has mild symptoms at most. Second, I hope nobody else catches it. Unfortunately this seems like it will be the theme of this season—trying to have some normal in not-so-normal circumstances. Hopefully this pandemic goes away sooner rather than later, but absolutely this season should be more about the health and well-being of the student-first athletes and staff over any basketball game(s). As a WCBB fan I want to see the season played, but I’d also rather see players playing next year than players in hospital beds this year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just as a point of reference, Tolland county had a two week period in August with average new cases was less than 1, for a county with 150,000+ population.
Last week we had: 456 new cases
We reported 159 cases Monday (includes Sat/Sun)
I live in Storrs and, yes, everyone is doing a good job of wearing masks in public. The social distancing is pretty good as well, though in the grocery store I see groups of 2-4 college kids shopping together without distancing but in masks. The real question and I suspect the real problem is what happens in homes, dorms, and at meal times, and around close friends and family.

Professional sports as well as other businesses and voluntary group gatherings (sports/religious/social) are in an easier situation than colleges in terms of managing the risks/liabilities of covid.

I have actually been impressed with how well college sports programs have done so far this fall and certainly hope Uconn WBB can weather this first blip and get back quickly and that other programs do as well. It will be a strange season with I suspect a number of postponed and cancelled games across the country. It is what it is and I prefer that colleges continue to be uber cautious until vaccination is widely available - rather lose a season than see a college kid lose a career or a life.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
We are all too anxious for things to be normal. Two friends dropped by a few days ago for a few minutes. They and my wife and I wore masks the whole time. Yesterday one called to say her husband has the virus. My wife, recently in cancer remission, got tested yesterday awaiting results. She feels ok. I’m waiting to see how our friend’s (the wife who visited) test comes out before I test myself. It’s damn contagious, obviously with bad consequences for some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom