Bad news: Positive Covid Test- Team to Pause Activities [MERGED THREAD] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bad news: Positive Covid Test- Team to Pause Activities [MERGED THREAD]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This also affects the race to catch Pat Summit. Unless something similar happens to Stanford, Tara should expand her lead over Geno, probably to a point that no matter how well Uconn does next year, Tara is likely to take that lead into the 22/23 season. I don't expect Stanford to lose more than 7-8 games over the next two years.
Well this is important

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hopefully, everyone associated with UConn WBB will be OK. While this news is terribly disappointing for UConn WBB fans, we should all keep our perspective. There are currently over 85,000 Americans hospitalized with this terrible disease, many of whom will never be OK.

Reaction Score
There is NO way there will be a season, not with the ridiculous recommendations that the NCAA has instituted. Shutting down an entire program for 14 days because of one positive case is just absurd! Quarantine the positive case, quarantine the other players for 3 days and test them daily, if they pass 3 straight tests they are cleared to resume team activities. I just don't see anyway they can have a season this year.

Reaction Score
Disappointing to have the season start so close. Now we are at least 3 weeks away.

Most importantly, I hope all affiliated with the team are safe and recover fully. Hard to see this season happening. If positive results yield 14 day shutdowns, I foresee a very interrupted season for many teams.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
For us fans , this is cruel and unusual punishment. If this was the month of April I would think it's a joke. But unfortunately it's true.

I know the players are disappointed , while we fans are devastated. Hopefully , the team and coaches will pacify us with more practice footage or info......Something.

I was so looking forward to seeing them play this weekend.

I think I would swap the groups and their responses, given their investments in emotion and effort: that is, we fans disappointed; players and coaches devastated . . . at least temporarily. They'll snap back, and maybe we'll learn some patience.

Reaction Score
This saddens me, selfishly. I was so looking forward to the start of the season. I truly hope nothing but the best health for the entire program.

The silver lining, however? No more threads asking what channel we can watch the first two games...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is NO way there will be a season, not with the ridiculous recommendations that the NCAA has instituted. Shutting down an entire program for 14 days because of one positive case is just absurd! Quarantine the positive case, quarantine the other players for 3 days and test them daily, if they pass 3 straight tests they are cleared to resume team activities. I just don't see anyway they can have a season this year.
A 3 day quarantine? You might as well not quarantine them at all. Just for the record, the incubation period for COVID-19 is anywhere from 2 to 14 days. Hence the 14 day quarantine.

Reaction Score
First and foremost wanna say I hope everyone involved with the program is okay and will be okay.

To address your post I totally agree, I really don’t see how as winter approaches and this virus makes its comeback there’s anyway to keep it from disrupting many many games for many many programs. At that point is it really a legitimate season of college basketball if teams are dropping so many games, and is it fair if the NCAA tournament starts (which is a big if at this point) and some teams who’ve had less disrupted seasons and more games to learn from are playing teams that are not as competitive because their seasons have been ravaged.

And finally I’m perplexed as to the seemingly obvious lack of leadership by the NCAA and the conferences. I know things are more complicated than I know but there should have been protocols in places months ago and an effort to reach widespread consensus between the NCAA and the conferences in order to ensure the season could go on as best as possible and I don’t think that’s been the case. They seem to be taking it week by week, no real plan. With how successful the bubbles have been I don’t know why that wasn’t insisted upon. If anyone thought this lackadaisical approach would work with college kids they’re fools. You’d think they’d care more since it’s literally their job to care about this and only this.

Reaction Score
This saddens me, selfishly. I was so looking forward to the start of the season. I truly hope nothing but the best health for the entire program.

The silver lining, however? No more threads asking what channel we can watch the first two games...

And maybe the streaming issue will be resolved.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
This also affects the race to catch Pat Summit. Unless something similar happens to Stanford, Tara should expand her lead over Geno, probably to a point that no matter how well Uconn does next year, Tara is likely to take that lead into the 22/23 season. I don't expect Stanford to lose more than 7-8 games over the next two years.
True, and speaking as a Stanford fan, this is not how I wanted to see Tara break Pat's record. However, for lots of reasons, while I sure hope Stanford isn't similarly afflicted and gets to play out our full season without illnesses, I can't help but think this kind of thing is going to happen to lots of schools at some point this season, including Stanford's - just look at how many college football games have been scrapped. This is only the beginning.

How many more weeks until 2021?

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
That is the saddest news imaginable.
I had just finished telling my wife that there will be BB
this weekend.

I can't express how much I was looking forward to seeing this group execute...Oh well...
I would think the saddest news imaginable would be one the the players or staff dying or being hospitalized with very serious symptoms. But, that's just me.

Reaction Score
First and foremost wanna say I hope everyone involved with the program is okay and will be okay.

To address your post I totally agree, I really don’t see how as winter approaches and this virus makes its comeback there’s anyway to keep it from disrupting many many games for many many programs. At that point is it really a legitimate season of college basketball if teams are dropping so many games, and is it fair if the NCAA tournament starts (which is a big if at this point) and some teams who’ve had less disrupted seasons and more games to learn from are playing teams that are not as competitive because their seasons have been ravaged.

And finally I’m perplexed as to the seemingly obvious lack of leadership by the NCAA and the conferences. I know things are more complicated than I know but there should have been protocols in places months ago and an effort to reach widespread consensus between the NCAA and the conferences in order to ensure the season could go on as best as possible and I don’t think that’s been the case. They seem to be taking it week by week, no real plan. With how successful the bubbles have been I don’t know why that wasn’t insisted upon. If anyone thought this lackadaisical approach would work with college kids they’re fools. You’d think they’d care more since it’s literally their job to care about this and only this.
Who would foot the bill for putting all these teams in each bubble location? Hotel rooms, food, for 4 months +/-. The schools don’t have that kind of money. Most schools are losing their shirts as it is. You play the games you can play and if someone tests positive you shut it down for 14 days. That is the best solution.

Reaction Score
Not surprised. It's why when the season officially started last month I couldn't get excited for games that were six weeks away because in this environment six weeks is a lifetime. I would just push the whole season back a couple of months and re-evaluate towards the end of January.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Very sorry to hear this, particularly as a WBB fan and also because the season was just around the corner.
However, hope the players, coaches, staff can get better/avoid getting sick/move forward at the most prudent time for one and all.

As someone said, this is not the flu and let's be safe out there (to paraphrase Hill Street Blues).

Man, this could be some season...buckle up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom