Aubrey Update “doesn’t look good right now” | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aubrey Update “doesn’t look good right now”

Reaction Score
There are two ways to discover "back" or nerve damage to the spine issues: one is the MRI and the other is the CT Scan or both. Since they have the Health Center, they should schedle these tests for her as soon as possible. At least they may be able to define he problem instead of speculate.

Reaction Score
Geno said when asked in the Coaches Show that it was muscular not structural

Reaction Score
There are two ways to discover "back" or nerve damage to the spine issues: one is the MRI and the other is the CT Scan or both. Since they have the Health Center, they should schedle these tests for her as soon as possible. At least they may be able to define he problem instead of speculate.
I’m sure they’ve done these tests already. Speculation is the Boneyard’s specialty.

Reaction Score
I looked this up yesterday and at least in the NBA, you have to dress 8 to start a game. It is not clear to me if you can continue to play with 4 or less when people foul out or get injured.

In college, you must have five players to start the game. However you can continue after players foul out until you only have one player left. At that point the game is a forfeit unless the referee believes the team still has a legitimate chance to win the game.

Reaction Score
Why are you assuming they haven’t done that already?

Reaction Score
Why are you assuming they haven’t done that already?
Because after dealing with severe back difficulty for many years it was only through these tests that they got to have the information to correct my problems surgically. The first post said that they have to get to the bottom of the problem. Indicates to me that they do not have enough information. That is why I came to that conclusion.

Reaction Score
Even if they could transfer in now and play what would make you think that they could learn the system and be ready right away? I get that it would be great and be a potential help but I doubt it could happen.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No. The start of the spring semester for UCONN is Jan 18th no additions to the team are possible until that point.

sun

Reaction Score
AFAIK a full time student can become a walk on and play if the coach allows them to be on the team.
A walk on means that the player doesn't have an athletic scholarship.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Yikes. Were you in a parachute accident?
Not sure how I slipped a disk, just was in a world of pain. I ruptured a disk when I bent over to pick up the laundry basket. Had to wait a month for the surgery. Both of these happened within a year of each other. I broke my back when my zero turn lawn mower flipped over on top of me when I ignored almost every warning sticker on the machine. :)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Not sure how I slipped a disk, just was in a world of pain. I ruptured a disk when I bent over to pick up the laundry basket.
Ouch! People raise their eyebrows at me when I say that I dislocated a shoulder in my sleep. The first few times it happened were playing volleyball and basketball, so not a shocker to me but it is if someone hears about it without context.

Reaction Score
AFAIK a full time student can become a walk on and play if the coach allows them to be on the team.
A walk on means that the player doesn't have an athletic scholarship.
I think Geno should be conducting tryouts for a wing right now with a clear understanding of their role, and that if and when Azzi and Nika come back there is no need to use her. Right now we do not have a natural backup for any guards. All three of Evina, Christyn and Caroline will play heavy overworked minutes, and Aaliyah will play some at the 3.

That is a bad enough scenario, but what happens now if any of those four (Evina, Christyn, Caroline or Aaliyah) get injured or foul out?
Piath at SG? Amari at SF? I think Geno should be exploring to see if there is anybody on campus that could help. Maybe there isn't anybody, and obviously when one of Azzi or Nika comes back we will have some protection, but in the meantime we are a few fouls or one injury away from a disaster.

Maybe a talented big playing guard for the first time in their life would be better than say a walk-on that just joined the team, that perhaps was a starting guard in high school, but not considered Div 1 material. I don't know, but I don't think it hurts to have one of the assistants take a look and see if there was anyone worthy of bringing to Geno's attention.

Reaction Score
I think Geno should be conducting tryouts for a wing right now with a clear understanding of their role, and that if and when Azzi and Nika come back there is no need to use her. Right now we do not have a natural backup for any guards. All three of Evina, Christyn and Caroline will play heavy overworked minutes, and Aaliyah will play some at the 3.

That is a bad enough scenario, but what happens now if any of those four (Evina, Christyn, Caroline or Aaliyah) get injured or foul out?
Piath at SG? Amari at SF? I think Geno should be exploring to see if there is anybody on campus that could help. Maybe there isn't anybody, and obviously when one of Azzi or Nika comes back we will have some protection, but in the meantime we are a few fouls or one injury away from a disaster.

Maybe a talented big playing guard for the first time in their life would be better than say a walk-on that just joined the team, that perhaps was a starting guard in high school, but not considered Div 1 material. I don't know, but I don't think it hurts to have one of the assistants take a look and see if there was anyone worthy of bringing to Geno's attention.
Even if you could find someone, I don't think they can officially join the team until January 18th when the next semester begins. That's a month away, and we should have some people back by then.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

:eek::D Actually I don't know why Geno is being so stubborn here. The obvious answer is to play Aaliyah Edwards at guard the same way Team Canada did. The three and the two have always been interchangeable in the UCONN offense anyway. If AE is good enough to play the three why can't she play the 2 as well. Isn't that what the call "position less" basketball.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Sooooo, we have HS AA's who are transferring because they can't get playing time even with all the injuries. But Geno and his assistants are supposed to go find a walk-on who's going to save the program?????

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not seeing that happening. Peoples, this ain't an after school special.

Reaction Score
:eek::D Actually I don't know why Geno is being so stubborn here. The obvious answer is to play Aaliyah Edwards at guard the same way Team Canada did. The three and the two have always been interchangeable in the UCONN offense anyway. If AE is good enough to play the three why can't she play the 2 as well. Isn't that what the call "position less" basketball.
I'm not sure that Aaliyah is clear in the head to start at any position right now. I'm beginning to think the Canadian team experience messed with her head because something isn't right since then.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Do people really believe that there is one person walking around campus that could walk on and actually play meaningful minutes against D-1 competition? I know Briana and Tierney walked on after responding to Stewie's tweet, but come on, were they immediately ready for the competition?

Reaction Score
Sooooo, we have HS AA's who are transferring because they can't get playing time even with all the injuries. But Geno and his assistants are supposed to go find a walk-on who's going to save the program?????

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not seeing that happening. Peoples, this ain't an after school special.
Don’t you see?
That’s the way to hold Geno harmless from his failure to develop down bench players, or at least apportion them a crumb of playing time in case the unforeseen occurs.
The unforeseen has occurred.
I’d wager that a couple of minutes for Mir or Saylor would have kept them hungry and at least delayed their decisions to depart. I do not doubt that they would have anyway.
Timing was terrible.
Would have provided better options than soliciting walk ins.
Not suggesting he is searching for walk-ins, but that is the “solution” for some here.
As previously stated:
Foul trouble=big problem.
Another injury=fatal problem.
( and increasing the court time for so few players increases the chance of another injury)
Need to make it 2-3 games like this, then the situation may begin to improve.

Reaction Score
Don’t you see?
That’s the way to hold Geno harmless from his failure to develop down bench players, or at least apportion them a crumb of playing time in case the unforeseen occurs.
The unforeseen has occurred.
I’d wager that a couple of minutes for Mir or Saylor would have kept them hungry and at least delayed their decisions to depart. I do not doubt that they would have anyway.
Timing was terrible.
Would have provided better options than soliciting walk ins.
Not suggesting he is searching for walk-ins, but that is the “solution” for some here.
As previously stated:
Foul trouble=big problem.
Another injury=fatal problem.
( and increasing the court time for so few players increases the chance of another injury)
Need to make it 2-3 games like this, then the situation may begin to improve.

Considering Saylor was injured when she entered the transfer portal, so I really don't believe her transfer had to do with playing time

Reaction Score
Do people really believe that there is one person walking around campus that could walk on and actually play meaningful minutes against D-1 competition? I know Briana and Tierney walked on after responding to Stewie's tweet, but come on, were they immediately ready for the competition?
Clearly not by choice. Right now the answer is Aaliyah playing out of position to backup in essence all the wing starters. Do I think a walk-on would be used if all four of the relevant players are available? No, my point is what is the backup plan if just one of those is not available from injury, illness, or foul trouble.

If the unavailable player was Aaliyah, I imagine Dorka would have to assume Aaliyah's role as the backup to all three wings. If we are missing one of the wings then probably Aaliyah and Dorka are wings and we are playing 4 bigs and one guard, with Amari and Piath having to pick up the big minutes with Aaliyah and Dorka out of position.

Could a walk on who at least played guard decently in high school be better than that? I'm not sure, and if one and certainly with two missing players back it would not be an issue, but until that happens we have to use one big like a guard, and with any guard missing that would be two bigs playing guard.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Ouch! People raise their eyebrows at me when I say that I dislocated a shoulder in my sleep. The first few times it happened were playing volleyball and basketball, so not a shocker to me but it is if someone hears about it without context.
I share your pain. I've dislocated my right shoulder 40 times in my life, twice in my sleep. Once this happens your sleeping positions, at least for me, are relegated mostly to sleeping on your back, which is, according to health and back experts, not a bad thing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom