Ashlynn Shade to UConn (merged thread) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Ashlynn Shade to UConn (merged thread)

Reaction Score
They have to. They can’t afford any more recruiting classes that don’t pan out. ie., the 2017 class (Megan Walker’). Three of the four (Espinosa-Hunter, Gordon and Coombs) transferred, and Megan left after her junior year. 2019 class (Aubrey Griffin) 1 player class. Aubrey has yet to achieve her perceived potential. She had back surgery 2 days ago, and will likely miss this entire season.

There was a time not too long ago when UConn rarely offered prior to the end of their sophomore years. UConn often entered the process late relative to other schools and may have lost a few because of it. The real drought has been no 5's for 4 years after Stewart arrived.

But I'm not dwelling on negativity. Lots of promise arriving for the next 2 years. No time for regrets. :)

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Great new commit. Seems like a Faris type of fabulous athlete, but more of a scorers mentality?
Given that Kelly Faris is also from Indiana (I believe also from the Indianapolis metro area), and both Kelly's and Ashlynn's fathers are coaches, I wonder if Ashlynn had a detailed conversation with Kelly about her UConn experience. If that happened, it wouldn't surprise me if it was a huge factor in making Ashlynn comfortable about the program and Geno specifically, and thus in helping to secure her commitment.

Reaction Score
After following Bueckers through HS through the Mn. media and now seeing Hoosiers also wanting to play for Geno I can see that the midwest doesn't subscribe to the "Geno is evil" theory. A handful of detractors can sometimes appear to be a consensus.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
There was a time not too long ago when UConn rarely offered prior to the end of their sophomore years. UConn often entered the process late relative to other schools and may have lost a few because of it. The real drought has been no 5's for 4 years after Stewart arrived.

But I'm not dwelling on negativity. Lots of promise arriving for the next 2 years. No time for regrets. :)
I couldn’t agree more. Geno and his staff MUST hit some home runs like they did with the 2022 class (Patterson & Brady). No walks and no singles. I look at the scores of all the WCBB games every day.

There are several programs that have been dormant in recent years that have come to life. Programs like Arizona, Duke, Tennessee, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas (who knocked off Baylor yesterday), then there’s the regulars in Stanford, Maryland, South Carolina, Louisville, etc. Anyone of these teams can win a tournament game on any given day.

If UConn wants to keep their seat at the table reserved for the “”elites”, they must recruit and sign players that can and will play. A player DOES NOT have to be highly ranked to be effective. If you look at some of the names on the rosters of the top 15 teams, you’ll see that they are comprised of players that were ranked either bottom 50, or not ranked at all, yet they are doing well, get meaningful minutes and are productive. Being an elite player in HS is no guarantee that they will be elite in college.

How many Division 1 players have no hope of playing in the WNBA? Over 90% of them. As you know, only the cream of the crop move on to play at the next level. Very few late 2nd round, and hardly any 3rd round draftees make the cut. So we’re talking about 16 players out of all of the graduating seniors that are eligible for the drat every year. We’ve seen some players who were the best players on their team fail to hook on with a team in the W.

Then you have to fight to keep your roster spot every year from the new rookies coming into the league from college.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just to be clear, UConn cant talk about commit's until they sign Correct? Did class of 22 (Ayanna, Ice) sign? When is earliest signing date?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Hmmm - he was working at USA basketball of course, but ...
Stewart/Tuck/Jefferson in 2012
Chong 2013
Nurse, Williams, Ekmark 2014
Collier, Samuelson 2015
Dangerfield, Irwin, Bent 2016

pretty solid 4 years of recruiting after killing it with that 2012 class, and that doesn't include transfers in of Stevens, Camara, and Butler - that is not a usual follow on from a killer class, it is much better. Don't forget that Hartley and Dolson were already starters and around for the first two years and KML and Stokes were there for 3 years.

I grant you that he missed a couple of big recruits, but that always happens. The difference right now seems to be the recruiting is broader than it has ever been for Uconn, and the transfer in/out universe has changed for everyone.

Great new commit. Seems like a Faris type of fabulous athlete, but more of a scorers mentality? Also like the Shea comparison.
Also Sadie Edwards in 2014, a McD All-American. Had a recent run at USCal.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Posted a couple years ago in the recruit thread, but here it is again.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Shade brings the best of many worlds when she hits the hardwood. She is an exceptional athlete with exceptional skill, and she plays the game to win. Her competitive fire can be easily observed even in an academy setting where skill development is emphasized over winning. The 5-foot-10 guard skills look to translate as two-guard at the collegiate level. However, she has the skills and the mindset to run a team as a lead guard as well. Her athleticism allows her to turn the corner or elevate over the opposition in consistent fashion. She elevates on her pull-up jumper higher than we have seen any prospect in over a decade at the grassroots level. Defensively she possesses the instinct and the quickness to disrupt opponent’s offense in the full court or in the half court setting. Shade’s jump shot from distance is far from a weakness, in fact on the right day she can be downright deadly from the arc. Making sure she focuses on her balance with her feet and not get into a habit of fading backward are key areas for consistency on her 3-point shot. – Coach Hemi

From Brandon Clay's Spotlight Workout (9/12/2020)

Much like Newman, Shade’s growth since our Indianapolis Academy is largely tied to her progress in skill development. An elite level athlete, Shade has been impressive with how her jumpshot keeps growing. She’s a willing rebounder, defender and passer. The next step in the progression is continuing to work on making plays using her left hand. Shade’s work ethic speaks for itself so it’s only a matter of time if history repeats itself here.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
They have to. They can’t afford any more recruiting classes that don’t pan out. ie., the 2017 class (Megan Walker’). Three of the four (Espinosa-Hunter, Gordon and Coombs) transferred, and Megan left after her junior year. 2019 class (Aubrey Griffin) 1 player class. Aubrey has yet to achieve her perceived potential. She had back surgery 2 days ago, and will likely miss this entire season.

Carnac, Makurat was in the 2019 class. It was a two-person class.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
USC is in my backyard. I followed her while she was here. She was a starter most of the time she was here, but did nothing to make her stand out. She was just another player on a sub .500 team.

Reaction Score
Welcome to the UConn family Ashlyn!!you made a lot of people very happy!!
With Ashlyn and KK verbals does anyone know who has definite UConn offers besides Ciera?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
With Ashlyn and KK verbals does anyone know who has definite UConn offers besides Ciera?
UCONN also has "documented" outstanding offers to Booker, & Toomey. Documented means the recruits themselves have via social media announced that they have a UCONN offer.
UCONN is also in the top 8 for Breya Cunningham therefore I believe there got to a UCONN offer there as well.
Mikayla Williams is #1 in the class and the world is her oysters in that just about everyone has offered. Got to believe UCONN has likely offered Williams as well unless the UCONN staff got an indication that she is not likely to leave Louisiana.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
@UcMiami also missing De'Janae Boykin from 2015 class who was also a McDonalds AA and USA Basketball U16 players and Top 20 in that class.
Oops! Thanks!
I was going off the Uconn WBB Archive web page for the rosters for each year and I have to say they are terrible! A few months ago Samuelson completely disappeared from any of the pages. And for years there are a lots of missing links for yearly stats. I should have remember that players that leave mid year tend to disappear off the full year roster page.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
In addition to her high school endeavors, Shade has also worked with Nike Lady Gym Rats national traveling team. Danny Riego, head coach of the team’s U17 program, told Gene Swindoll of 247Sports that Shade’s abilities are reminiscent of Jackie Young, a Notre Dame star who later became the top pick of the WNBA Draft when the Las Vegas Aces chose her with the first choice in 2019.

“She is as gifted of a scorer as I have seen. What makes her scoring ability great is she does it at all three levels. She shoots the three extremely efficiently. She has a mid-range game. And her athletic ability allows her to post against smaller guards,” Riego said in July 2020. "Because she is a 2023 (graduate) you don't want to put unrealistic expectations on her, but she demands it. She wants to be the best. She works really hard. She is extremely coachable. I have stopped telling college coaches that she is going to be really good. I have started telling them she is really good.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom