Ashlynn Shade to UConn (merged thread) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Ashlynn Shade to UConn (merged thread)

Reaction Score
Hopefully she can bring us a title. I still think we need 1 more dominant post

Reaction Score
Ashlyn wasn't part of USA basketball was she? I haven't seen it at least. I don't think that means she couldn't make the team though as she is in that discussion for sure I would think. She's rated higher than KK who did play USA basketball. And if anything Ashlyn keeps getting better. We all rave about Mikayla but Ashlyn may well be in that discussion as well. Her numbers in high school are similar and if you watch her workouts her skill level and handle may even be superior. The size issue is there ( compared to Mikalah ) but if all we got in this year's recruiting were KK and Ashlyn that would be a top 2 national signing class right there.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
How is Ashlynn ranked top 5 in most recruiting services and 53rd on Blue Star? What are they smoking!
Blue Star is based in Philly and is loosely affiliated with the Philly Belles AAU team through founder of both, Mike Flynn. He may not have seen much of Ashlyn if he, or one of his scouts, didn’t go to the Midwest. Also, his dislike of Geno has been an open secret for years and his recruits don’t always get favorable ratings.

I had the experience of having him holler at me at the AAU Championship tourney in Baltimore once. He’s not a favorite of mine, either.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Blue Star is based in Philly and is loosely affiliated with the Philly Belles AAU team through founder of both, Mike Flynn. He may not have seen much of Ashlyn if he, or one of his scouts, didn’t go to the Midwest. Also, his dislike of Geno has been an open secret for years and his recruits don’t always get favorable ratings.

I had the experience of having him holler at me at the AAU Championship tourney in Baltimore once. He’s not a favorite of mine, either.

Thanks for the explanation. I was wonder about that discrepancy too with Ashlyn. But you CAN'T leave us hanging on the details of Flynn yelling at you!

Reaction Score

You mean everyone doesn’t love Geno like we do, can’t be true!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
“I’ve never seen a more perfect place for that kid,” said Natalie Morse, Shade’s longtime trainer and coach who used to coach at Butler. “She called it her little oasis. Everything is women’s basketball, women’s basketball, and it just speaks her language.”

She also plays with a competitive edge that Premier Basketball’s Shane Laflin compared to Mühl’s. Shade is a huge Michael Jordan fan and say she tries to emulate his work ethic and passion.

“When you talk to her, you think she was the sweetest, kindest person in the world,” Morse added, “and then she gets on the floor and she scares you. That’s kind of the perfect combination of a kid that I think UConn likes to have and the fans like to see, and so she’ll fit in really well there.”

“From practice to just hanging out with the team to going to the game, it’s a hard feeling for me to describe because it just felt so right,” Shade said. “It’s kind of like when you have a gut feeling, when you just know something is right. That’s just how I felt being there and seeing everything, meeting the coaches, the players. I just knew in my gut that it was the place for me.

When it comes down to it, whatever the coaching staff asks Shade to do once she gets to Storrs, Morse is confident she will answer the call.

“She’s not selfish,” Morse said. “If she needs a score, she’ll figure out a way to do it. If she needs to defend and create energy defensively, she never runs out of that. And so that’s really going to fill some gaps that if you need that one night and that’s going to help you win a game, then that’s what she’ll do. The ultimate competitor is ‘I’ll do whatever it takes to win,’ and that’s her.”

Reaction Score
“I’ve never seen a more perfect place for that kid,” said Natalie Morse, Shade’s longtime trainer and coach who used to coach at Butler. “She called it her little oasis. Everything is women’s basketball, women’s basketball, and it just speaks her language.”

She also plays with a competitive edge that Premier Basketball’s Shane Laflin compared to Mühl’s. Shade is a huge Michael Jordan fan and say she tries to emulate his work ethic and passion.

“When you talk to her, you think she was the sweetest, kindest person in the world,” Morse added, “and then she gets on the floor and she scares you. That’s kind of the perfect combination of a kid that I think UConn likes to have and the fans like to see, and so she’ll fit in really well there.”

“From practice to just hanging out with the team to going to the game, it’s a hard feeling for me to describe because it just felt so right,” Shade said. “It’s kind of like when you have a gut feeling, when you just know something is right. That’s just how I felt being there and seeing everything, meeting the coaches, the players. I just knew in my gut that it was the place for me.

When it comes down to it, whatever the coaching staff asks Shade to do once she gets to Storrs, Morse is confident she will answer the call.

“She’s not selfish,” Morse said. “If she needs a score, she’ll figure out a way to do it. If she needs to defend and create energy defensively, she never runs out of that. And so that’s really going to fill some gaps that if you need that one night and that’s going to help you win a game, then that’s what she’ll do. The ultimate competitor is ‘I’ll do whatever it takes to win,’ and that’s her.”

What a glowing review! All those attributes remind me of Kelly Farris which is exciting

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This quote really get's to the heart of the matter

Part of that growth, Shade says, comes from being surrounded and pushed by some of the best players in the country too, such as Bueckers and Fudd.

“I think the mentality of not going somewhere away from where the best players normally go to try and have everything be about herself speaks the loudest volumes to me,” Morse said. “She sees who’s there, and for her that means ‘I’m going to have to up my game to the highest, highest level.’ She’s not afraid.”

Reaction Score
If your goal is the WNBA that approach is probably best for many of the top players. She will get more exposure at Uconn than probably anywhere else and learn from her teammates as well as her coaching staff. Uconn has the resources to do the player development optimally as well as the healthcare staff and such. The alumni network doesn't hurt either.

Reaction Score
Ashlynn Shade scores 20 in the first half with some deep 3s and disrupts the opposition with a press and quick-handed steals. For the 2nd half Homestead has to put 6’3” Ayanna Patterson on Shade to slow her down. Entertaining to watch the two of them face off against each other for much of that 2nd half. Shade and Noblesville put a good whomping on Homestead, though. Shade plays at UConn speed right now and is all over the court. Thanks Sluconn for posting this; it’s a very entertaining game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Wow Ashylnn is Nika (One man press) with every offensive skill in the book and Geno wont have to tell he to move without the ball. Ayanna is so physical but does she have a mid range game?

Reaction Score
Ayanna is so physical but does she have a mid range game?
@eebmg Not sure but it can be developed. I stumbled onto this today on Ashlynn. Total gym rat that works on all facets. A good article from three years ago with a few videos. One has her working on ball handling and goes into positional shooting drill with her trainer.
The next is a short interview with the trainer and then one with her father. Each only a few minutes long. She had four D1 offers coming out of the 8th grade. One being a BE school another in the ACC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Mike and the Belles stole an AAU game from me in Philly in '93 or '94 .. he was coaching then before he became a big shot. His team ran on the floor and scored the winning bucket while we were still in a huddle! haha

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I had the experience of having him holler at me at the AAU Championship tourney in Baltimore once
Haha…Are you willing to tell the backstory here? I can’t imagine anyone yelling at you. It would be like yelling at, I don’t know, a kitten or something.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Haha…Are you willing to tell the backstory here? I can’t imagine anyone yelling at you. It would be like yelling at, I don’t know, a kitten or something.
A kitten? I’m trying to decide if I’m offended or not

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A kitten? I’m trying to decide if I’m offended or not
Don’t be. Your board persona is very much real life persona in the single time we met. You seem genuinely very nice. I can’t imagine you doing anything that merited being yelled at at a basketball game.

So, what happened?

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Nan, your avatar! Loved that show!!
I think at the end of the season Nan should display all the avatars she has had this season, and we can all vote on the best or most interesting one. Of course, Nan has to agree to that. What do you all think, what about you Nan?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom