2024 Recruiting: - Ahmad Nowell OV 6/8 | Page 23 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Ahmad Nowell OV 6/8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sometimes I wonder how much of this issue is being driven by some folks salty because of online gambling losses and failure to cover lol. Not saying that is the case with posters on this thread but obsessing over close losses can’t help me wonder if that’s a factor for some now that it’s so easy to wager on one’s phone.
I bet you're right

Reaction Score
The close game shtick is overblown. They beat everyone in a route when it mattered most. This is fun. Enjoy the ride.

Danny is an incredible scouting report coach, he’s always been known to play to tendencies of teams. Honestly thought the Arkansas game was one of (if not the best) coaching performances he’s ever had. The way they changed their defensive philosophy to play to Arkansas weakness was no small task. Packing the paint, limiting free throw attempts, making them a 3 point shooting team, all things that were much different from his defensive philosophy. They weren’t losing after that performance.

Hoping for a commit next from Nowell and continuing this train moving forward, big things ahead.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
We really need to learn to handle prosperity better, gang.
This is a (the) way to identify those individuals whose toilet training was difficult. Forever trying to micromanage life so as not to have to relive that experience again!

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Calhoun was three championships in with countless other accomplishments and still had his coaching critiqued.

I’m not sure why people have to get up in arms about making valid constructive criticism about what they would like to see Hurley improve in while also recognizing what he’s absolutely great at and appreciating what he accomplished this year. That wasn’t a perfect year, it just finished amazingly after making major adjustments.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Also, not for nothing, but our teams under Hurley rarely ever get blown out, which unless your expectations are that we go undefeated, is going to lead to more close losses.

It's almost as if some of you would rather his record in close games be better, while not changing the total amount of losses.

The man just blew out the entire field in the NCAAs.. I think it's safe to say he knows what he's doing and the close game stuff is just noise and variance.

Reaction Score
Also, not for nothing, but our teams under Hurley rarely ever get blown out, which unless your expectations are that we go undefeated, is going to lead to more close losses.

It's almost as if some of you would rather his record in close games be better, while not changing the total amount of losses.

The man just blew out the entire field in the NCAAs.. I think it's safe to say he knows what he's doing and the close game stuff is just noise and variance.
March and April are how teams are remembered. Let the Xavier and Providence fan bases take solace in regular season accomplishments and our struggles last January. People remember teams that hoist banners not ones that do great in December, January, and February.

Reaction Score
How silly of me to keep accessing this thread for news re Nowell
No news coming until 7/23 anyway so we might as well have fun while hoping and praying he chooses the good guys.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
No news coming until 7/23 anyway so we might as well have fun while hoping and praying he chooses the good guys.
I don’t think there much to hope about tbh. Guys usually don’t put crystal balls or forecasts in unless they hear pretty concrete stuff.

Unless someone swoops in and drops a major mind changing bag, I think we can get some good night sleeps until the 23rd. (No inside info just speaking on how Crystal balls leading to a decision usually go).

Reaction Score
How silly of me to keep accessing this thread for news re Nowell
I keep checking the Vol Nation forum to see what the Tennessee fans are saying about Nowell. There has been zero mention of him in over a week. No news is good news for us there, I suppose.

Reaction Score
This thread is about Nowell. Every other thread during the season was derailed by this stuff. Has to be another thread(or a new one can be started) where a discussion about close games can be had without turning a thread about Nowell way off topic.

Reaction Score
Ahmad and Danny would be a great match re: managing the game.. flow of ball movement.. getting into offensive sets.. Just plays smart ball and makes winning plays.. Young man is a leader Day 1.. Kinda reminds me of KEA from that perspective..

Reaction Score
I think the close game hypothesis at least seemed possible at one point. “We play tight in high pressure situations because the coach is tight.” But idk, tip off of the national championship seems like a high pressure situation.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Actually, his next big challenge is to start winning close games more often than he loses them. That needs to start happening during this coming basketball season even before we find out who will be the first to leave this amazing coaching staff to go on to be a head coach.

As of right now his record in his 5 years as head coach in games decided by 6 points or less is an unsightly 13-29. And before you go to blame it all on the first couple of years, we went 1-5 last year. Sorry, but that is downright ugly.

Now that he has demonstrated the ability to make critical adjustments that led directly to our winning our 5th National Title in dominating fashion, his next big hurdle is to start consistently winning close games.

And before anyone jumps to his defense... even with this current weakness/opportunity, I still believe there is no one I would rather have as our head coach right now, heading into the next 5, 10 years and beyond... and yes, I also believe this is the best coaching staff in the country (I stated this in a thread a month ago) and he is the right man to be the leader at the helm of this staff.

Just like the rest of us, he is a work in progress too.
13-29 in close games with an overall winning record just tells me that the games they lose aren’t blowouts. 13-29 looks bad in a vacuum but in context it’s not a bad or particularly meaningful stat

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I think the close games thing is people being worried about Big Foot. That’s not to say Hurley can’t improve as a coach. He definitely can and has already during his time at UConn. As he always brings up, he was coaching high school not that long ago, so he’s still relatively new to college compared to some of the other top coaches.

I think you could argue Hurley is the best runner of a program of any coach - recruiting, culture, game strategy, player development etc - but I don’t think anyone would put him as the top in-game coach alone…yet.

Reaction Score
I think the close games thing is people being worried about Big Foot. That’s not to say Hurley can’t improve as a coach. He definitely can and has already during his time at UConn. As he always brings up, he was coaching high school not that long ago, so he’s still relatively new to college compared to some of the other top coaches.

I think you could argue Hurley is the best runner of a program of any coach - recruiting, culture, game strategy, player development etc - but I don’t think anyone would put him as the top in-game coach alone…yet.

I think this is a fair take. Every coach has ways to improve, Hurley's is often in-game adjustments. Every year he's getting better, so there's no reason for concern. We're at the point where we're top-25 all year long and can expect sweet-16s more often than not. We're good.

Will be interesting to see how things change when Kimani leaves. He has a lot of important reaponsibilities for the team and has really stepped up.

Reaction Score
Actually, his next big challenge is to start winning close games more often than he loses them. That needs to start happening during this coming basketball season even before we find out who will be the first to leave this amazing coaching staff to go on to be a head coach.

As of right now his record in his 5 years as head coach in games decided by 6 points or less is an unsightly 13-29. And before you go to blame it all on the first couple of years, we went 1-5 last year. Sorry, but that is downright ugly.

It's a fair point. It didn't cost him much in 2023. But there will be times in the coming seasons where it will make a difference.

UConn did not have a create and make your own shot option last year. Cole (or perhaps) Martin filled that role prior. Before that Adams was a darn fine finisher at wining time. But last year there wasn't really an alpha dog that demanded the ball at winning time. I don't think this is as much a coaching issue as it is a roster issue. Hopefully, he can find "the guy" in the current bunch.

Reaction Score
13-29 in close games with an overall winning record just tells me that the games they lose aren’t blowouts. 13-29 looks bad in a vacuum but in context it’s not a bad or particularly meaningful stat
Yes, I mean, maybe Hurley and the coaches realized how bad they were in close games, so they put together a plan to win the NCAAT by double digits every game instead. It seemed to work.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Yes, I mean, maybe Hurley and the coaches realized how bad they were in close games, so they put together a plan to win the NCAAT by double digits every game instead. It seemed to work.
Right? Hurley and Calhoun have a pretty similar winning percentage at UConn. A high number of Hurley’s loses are close. Doesn’t indicate he can’t win close games, it indicates that he doesn’t get blown out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom