Adamec: Key recruiting weekend upcoming for UConn | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Adamec: Key recruiting weekend upcoming for UConn

JS

Reaction Score
Isn't it a bit strange that no photos have been posted of either recruit this weekend? Has the program even acknowledged their arrival on campus?

Lots of photos and comments were posted last year when UConn hosted the 4 current freshmen.

Of course not. "The program" has never done that with a recruit.

As Cat says, UConn hasn't publicized visits because it can't.

13.11.1 Presence of Media during Recruiting Contact.

A member institution shall not permit a media entity to be present during any recruiting contact made by an institution's coaching staff member. * * *

13.11.2 Comments Before Signing.

Before the signing of a prospect to a National Letter of Intent or an institution's written offer of admission and/or financial aid, a member institution may comment publicly only to the extent of confirming its recruitment of the prospect.

13.11.4 Prospect's Visit.

A member institution shall not publicize (or arrange for publicity of) a prospect's visit to the institution's campus. Further, a prospect may not participate in team activities that would make the public or media aware of the prospect's visit to the institution * * *
These rules explain why the recruits aren't in photos made public during their visits. The school can photograph them for later use, but not for publicity during the recruiting process.

Contrast that the player and family can take photos, talk to the media, comment on social media or whatever they want. And the media are free to publish the results as well as whatever they can get from high school/AAU coaches and other sources "close to the players."

I think you can expect reporters to reach out to their sources in the next day or two, and we'll see articles saying (most likely, and putting it generally) that the recruits really enjoyed their visit.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In most years, we have First Night. The recruits are usually visible at that event, though public contact with them is verboten.

Reaction Score
When you say "we" you really mean you and maybe a handful ( at most) of others, right?

I think there were more then a few of us..........surely more negative then the current Christyn Williams watch I would imagine

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

A member institution shall not permit a media entity to be present during any recruiting contact made by an institution's coaching staff member. * * *

Before the signing of a prospect to a National Letter of Intent or an institution's written offer of admission and/or financial aid, a member institution may comment publicly only to the extent of confirming its recruitment of the prospect.

A member institution shall not publicize (or arrange for publicity of) a prospect's visit to the institution's campus. Further, a prospect may not participate in team activities that would make the public or media aware of the prospect's visit to the institution * * *
These rules explain why the recruits aren't in photos made public during their visits. The school can photograph them for later use, but not for publicity during the recruiting process.

Contrast that the player and family can take photos, talk to the media, comment on social media or whatever they want. And the media are free to publish the results as well as whatever they can get from high school/AAU coaches and other sources "close to the players."

I think you can expect reporters to reach out to their sources in the next day or two, and we'll see articles saying (most likely, and putting it generally) that the recruits really enjoyed their visit.

Thanks JS, you've cleared up an area on visits I was not clear on. This answers some questions, and eliminates some skepticism I had.

Reaction Score

here's the Texas/M Walker photos again, not sure who took them but she posing at a photography studio in her UT uniform.........

Megan Walker, ESPN's No. 1 women's basketball recruit, visits Texas | HookemPlus.com

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Yes. Well a member institution may not publicize the visit or even acknowledge their presence at that time. That doesn't stop BY members who are not member's of UConn's institution or who are not boosters and may be on or near campus from acknowledging a sighting. Not at all. This has happened before, but not this time.

JS

Reaction Score
Yes. Well a member institution may not publicize the visit or even acknowledge their presence at that time. That doesn't stop BY members who are not member's of UConn's institution or who are not boosters and may be on or near campus from acknowledging a sighting. Not at all. This has happened before, but not this time.
True, that. We haven't had any "sightings" reported. Maybe we're as a group too decrepit to get out there. Maybe we lack the spies we've had in the past among the students and University employees.

Often people walking around the campus see the recruits being shown around by their host players or the staff. Usual stops for the visitors are to watch a practice and attend a class or two.

I understand it's no longer possible to just wander in an open door and watch practices as I've done in the past with the likes of Blake and LaserT.

As Milford pointed out, First Night is normally an occasion for the recruits to be spotted in the crowd. But no such event this year because the Gampel repairs weren't finished.

I have zero concern that there's anything particularly odd about our lack of news this time and am confident that Mses. ONO and Williams were in Storrs for the usual impressive introduction to UConn.

What they witness is understated: relaxed, informal, friendly, down to earth. But with all those banners and trophies in the background as a kind of powerful testament that something way out of the ordinary is going on, it kind of sells itself.

And I have no doubt that Messrs. Adamec, Doyle, Fuller et al. are even now reaching out for info about the visits that'll appear in print within the next day or two.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Still nothing on Williams and Nelson-Ododa's visits.
Is everyone still taking this as a sign of good news? I'm personally skeptical , but I'm that way by nature.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Is everyone still taking this as a sign of good news? I'm personally skeptical , but I'm that way by nature.

I think there is very little optimism and rightfully so. It takes a special mindset for a top player to come to UConn. The player needs to be able to sacrifice individual quick gratification for team goals and long term life lessons. Maybe this is getting rarer in today's society? :(

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think there is very little optimism and rightfully so. It takes a special mindset for a top player to come to UConn. The player needs to be able to sacrifice individual quick gratification for team goals and long term life lessons. Maybe this is getting rarer in today's society? :(
Definitely getting rarer but these two kids (ONO and CW) from everything I read, definitely fit the ol' school mold of unselfish, wanting to be great, and humble. Those characteristics in both players makes me optimistic that both will end up at UCONN just like MW did.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I cannot recall a more complete silence about recruit visits. I had hoped for a snippet or a pix; anything to distract from the "burning question" of 2017!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom