OT: - 2022 US Open (Golf) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: 2022 US Open (Golf)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do they set tougher pins tomorrow? 23 guys under par is a lot for this tournament
Yes. Rahm said they were benign placements so far. USGA could have made it so much tougher.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Didn’t hear that comment. Maybe some carnage today?

Well, temps are so supposed to max out at maybe 70 degrees today. Winds will be 10-20 mph. Some rain overnight tonight and then temps in the high 50's tomorrow. They can shave those greens as slick as they want today and not have to worry about burning them out.

Going to look more like a British Open for parts of this weekend.

So, carnage today? I think that is in order.

1655553304514.png

Reaction Score
Pin placements and weather will determine the scores. We were on 6 for about 10 groups yesterday in the morning. Par 3, 165. You would have thought the pros would eat it up, but the wind was blowing and the green is tough. We saw 1 birdie (by Phil) and many bogies. In the later afternoon, I saw there was a hole in one and birdies as the wind died down. Hole was ranked 11th on Thursday and 5th on Friday.

I have played The Country Club 3 times and I was there for the last US Open and Ryder Cup. The course this year is a different layout and TCC has really removed trees from the course and it was very noticeable on 6 which probably meant the wind will be more of a factor if it is windy.

Funny story. The first time I played TCC was before the Ryder Cup and the rough was playing up. On 1 on the regular course, I hit my drive into the rough and clubbed up on my second shot and I hit a miserable shot. The caddie came over to me and discreetly said this is US Open rough and even the pros can’t hit it well out of it. The goal is to get the ball back into the fairway and he was right.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If the future of televised sports is Peacock, I'm giving up watching sports.

I watched on USA Network early in the day and switched over to NBC for the afternoon. I read some stuff online that Peacock's coverage was atrocious.

Most common comments was "why can't everyone just copy what the Master's does with their steaming?" At times it seems like trying to innovate is more important than being good.

Regardless, I don't generally use advanced capabilities like feature groups, watching a specific hole or whatever. I'm fine with the broadcast and I haven't had issues with either USA Network or NBC.

Reaction Score
Guy I'm rooting for made the cut by 1 stroke, is +2 today, and has climbed a bunch of spots on the standings. Was quite windy in the Boston area today, definitely going to make it challenging.

Of the 16 guys who are through 9 holes so far, only 1 under par for the day. (Of course, it's the lower standings guys through 9 so far).

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Matt Fitzpatrick won 2013 US Amateur at this course and is ranked #18 in the world. Don' see him listed but he's worth a look.
Excellent call here. I never could find him listed on the Vegas Odd's page....

Reaction Score
This is a great tournament and what a fantastic course! The tournaments where winner is 20 under par don’t do much for me- it’s almost depressing when the gap between how the pros and me, for example, is so large. But this course is bringing the best in world golfers to their knees, and all their bad shots are ones I hit all the time. Loving it!
Who wins it tomorrow? I’m thinking Rahm.

Reaction Score
Rahm looks good but tough last hole in those bunkers.

Reaction Score
I wish every course on tour was required to be as tough as the US Open courses always are. It's so much more fun watching these guys whiff in the rough like a weekend hacker. It makes the final day insane with all the movement, you can sink your entire tournament in a single hole

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Everyone in the final 6 pairings were over par with Rahm and Scheffler the best at plus 1. Total score for those 12 players was 50 over par.

Players finishing with a total score under par went from 23 to 9. Pretty much every qualifier near the top of the leaderboard at the start of the day melted down.

I think it's time for Zalatoris to break through, but hard to bet against Rahm with his experience and grindability.

Probably too many players for Rory to jump over to contend. He did miss a bunch of long puts by an inch - his day could have been much different with 4 or 5 balls the did 1/2 more rotation.

Reaction Score
It can fall apart quickly on that course. If all golf courses had that kind of rough there would be far fewer golfers, but even the pros try to do too much out of it at times.

Reaction Score
I just don't see anything predictable about this tournament and this course. The likely contenders are the top 9 guys to -1 but looking at the leaderboard there's guys all the way down to +2 that could make a run tomorrow. It's the best thing about golf imo.. Just can't be sure.

Reaction Score
I think the winner is at -1 or better. Any one of them can do it, I think it will be Fitz (not exactly going out on a limb there)

Reaction Score
That would be great but it's now a two-hole aggregate.

I thought they stayed with the 18 next day? I mean with 3:40 start times for the last group they won’t have much time after if this is true!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
2:45 tee times for last group today....Sunday. It is a 2 hole aggregate...then sudden death.
100% chance of rain this morning. Hope it doesn't lead to pushing tee times back or they might have trouble
finishing.

Z breaks thru.
BTW: Keegan Bradley...huge local fav: his wife is a niece of Carlton Fisk. Fisk of 6th game homer fame.
Nickname Pudge. Nieces and nephews call him Uncle Pudge.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll go with Fitz today.
Sleeper pick for someone a bit further back is Gary Woodland at +1. If he can shoot a 67 and get in clubhouse at -2, that will be a solid target to make others match.

Greens will be more receptive today with the morning rain, clouds and cool temps all day. Rough will be worse though.

Screenshot_20220619-063151_The Weather Channel.jpg

Reaction Score
I thought they stayed with the 18 next day? I mean with 3:40 start times for the last group they won’t have much time after if this is true!
2:45 is final tee time. Playoff is hole 18 and 1. First tee is at 8:49, yesterday was an hour later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01