OT: - 2022 US Open (Golf) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: 2022 US Open (Golf)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
-14 was a bad call, I’ll own it. Not out of the realm if the wind didn’t come Saturday but yeah I’ll eat crow

Reaction Score
Great tournament with a deserving champ.
Zal gained 7 strokes putting this week. He lost the championship with poorer than normal driving. That's golf
Now we can return to the PGA/Saudi league discussion

Reaction Score
Great tournament with a deserving champ.
Zal gained 7 strokes putting this week. He lost the championship with poorer than normal driving. That's golf
Now we can return to the PGA/Saudi league discussion
Without looking, I don’t remember any of the liv people around for the weekend, certainly not in contention.

Reaction Score
JT has been outspoken about staying on Tour
But everyone has a price….

Ancer is gone to liv. Lots of smoke about Morikawa too

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
JT has been outspoken about staying on Tour
But everyone has a price….

Crap, I liked Ancer as a player. Thought he was gonna be a factor this week before he got sick.

Reaction Score
Loved the late drama! Think about this Open going down to one barely missed putt by Z. The response by the English contingent was amazing, almost like a revenge for the English from the beating they took from an American caddy over 100 years ago.
This event was tops in my mind. New England was at it's greatest, even a wonderful show by our VT native. Poor LIV.
But there are other chapters to be written with the new kid shaking up the old establishment. This has shades of the young ABA vs the NBA. Competition is what it is all about. Julis Irving, a UMass player, a multi colored ball and the nerve of an up-start resulted in a merger in the future into the NBA. I watched Julis playing against Springfield College on that campus. He was held to 9 points I believe, mostly by crafty coaching by Springfield to keep the ball out of his hands. The 9 points were the fewest Irving scored in his limited college career.

Jim Calhoon was a player during that time at American International College, also in Springfield. Perhaps he had witnessed that amazing game too, I don't know but it also might have influenced his also crafty coaching future. Sometimes it's not what you do but what they can't do.

Reaction Score
Loosing Morikawa or any of the young guns will really hurt the tour but Liv is throwing around crazy money guaranteed

Reaction Score
Just a great watch golf event this week/weekend. How many times did we think Scheffler was going to run away? I mean Saturday when he flew up to -6 he seemed in control. When he dipped but somehow did the same early Sunday I said, he won’t fall this time, it’s his. This course didn’t allow anyone to cruise or gain too much rhythm. It was a bear and even with a lead no one was comfortable.

Congrats to Fitzy kid Cam play, he’s been sniffing for a while. More to come from him and Zalatoris as well. Fun Open!!!

Reaction Score
That was highly enjoyable, Zalatoris struggled everywhere else in spots except with his putter which was way stronger than normal this weekend. Great story for Fitz's caddie, no issue with how it turned out - only mad because I didn't win my Zalatoris bet!

Reaction Score
Matt Fitz's shot from the fairway trap will be remembered as one of the iconic shots in Golf's Major Championship history, akin to Arnie's driving to the green at Cherry Hills in 1960, and Phil's shot from the pine straw on #13 at Augusta in '99, to name a couple and among many others.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Matt Fitz's shot from the fairway trap will be remembered as one of the iconic shots in Golf's Major Championship history, akin to Arnie's driving to the green at Cherry Hills in 1960, and Phil's shot from the pine straw on #13 at Augusta in '99, to name a couple and among many others.

Sandy Lyle from bunker of 18 at Augusta.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Wrapping this up and looking forward, the Open Championship is setting up for a special way to commemorate the 150th anniversary.

Fitzpatrick and McIlroy are at top of their game.

Zalatoris, JT, Scheffler, Morikawa and Matsuyama are all playing well.

Throw in a few wild cards and it should be great TV.

Today's players can destroy the old course unless weather becomes a factor.

Reaction Score
-14 was NEVER in the cards
Alright , how about doing a little US Open research? In the last 10 Opens, there have been scores of -13, two -16s, and a -9. The USGA has a history of cowtowing to players that complain about conditions and watering down the course, after years of losing the course. It was 8 shots off with a brutal day on Saturday. I love the conditions and loved the hard golf. I made a wrong prediction. Get out of here with continually bringing it up

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Today's players can destroy the old course unless weather becomes a factor.
The Old Course has been all about the weather for years now, and the weather hasn't cooperated much to make it challenging. If it's sunny and calm, it might as well be the John Deere Classic. The Open has been played there seven times since 1984, and the mean winning score has been -14. The only time it wasn't double digits was when Daly won in in 1995 at -6.

That said, perhaps my best memory of playing golf was there - there's always a small crowd of tourists/onlookers at the 18th. So it was the only time in my life I've ever played in front of a gallery, lol. Maybe 25-30 people. Got my par. People clapped.

And I also got to play the Road Hole from the road. I wasn't as lucky as Miguel Angel Jiménez.

Reaction Score
The Old Course has been all about the weather for years now, and the weather hasn't cooperated much to make it challenging. If it's sunny and calm, it might as well be the John Deere Classic. The Open has been played there seven times since 1984, and the mean winning score has been -14. The only time it wasn't double digits was when Daly won in in 1995 at -6.

That said, perhaps my best memory of playing golf was there - there's always a small crowd of tourists/onlookers at the 18th. So it was the only time in my life I've ever played in front of a gallery, lol. Maybe 25-30 people. Got my par. People clapped.

And I also got to play the Road Hole from the road. I wasn't as lucky as Miguel Angel Jiménez.
Very cool. How difficult was it to get a tee time?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Very cool. How difficult was it to get a tee time?
I have no idea. This was back in 1996. I was over there alone, with my sticks. I'd already played the Eden and Strathyrum courses (the latter in wind and rain and got lost and started playing a whole other course). I was planning on leaving early the next morning to hit some Scotch distilleries to the north. But as I was eating dinner in some Turkish place in the middle of town, I overheard a conversation between a party of three American guys and their wives and how their fourth lost all their luggage, including clubs and wouldn't be making their tee time the next morning. After a short conversation they asked what I was doing at 7am.

So to answer your question, for me, it was about 12 hours :D

Reaction Score
Great tournament and had no skin in this but found myself pulling for Fitz on Saturday and the rest of the tournament.
Like Zalotoris alot and he for sure will be in the running for years especially in his performance in the majors. Onward to the traveler's which always seems to have a exciting finish..

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Tom Watson's chip-in on #17 (71st hole) at Pebble Beach in 1982.

I was going more with irons from fairway or hazards as approach shots.

Seve at #17 on the Old Course in 1884 was another one.

Greenside hole outs include Mize and Azinger both who got Norman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom