OT: - 2022 US Open (Golf) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: 2022 US Open (Golf)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Never played there, but walked it in '99 during a Ryder Cup practice round (which was also a job interview!). It's known for small, canted greens. It should be hard to go low, the course record is 64, There's an early blind par three (#2), some blind fairways, and #9 has a pond that cuts way into the fairway at about 320 from the tee, so bombers likely won't be bombing that one. Scoring will likely be on the back 9 as the front is only a par 34. A few of the holes on the back look like they should be pretty easy, but the small greens make it deceptively harder than it looks.

Yes on #9. Go beyond the top of the hill on it and everything rolls the ball down and towards the pond. Expect plenty of long iron off the tee and 7-9 iron approaches.

Reaction Score
Hole 11 is 130 yards. Very rare to see a short 3 in the us open. Guessing the green itself & surrounds are wicked

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hole 11 is 130 yards. Very rare to see a short 3 in the us open. Guessing the green itself & surrounds are wicked

A couple of weeks ago at the Memorial they were talking with Jack on air about the course at Muirfield. He said he loves designing short par 3's because you can do almost anything you want with it since the hole is receiving a high, lofted shot off the tee box. He said short par 3's just give the architect so many more options than a 250 yard par 3 where you almost have to have a run up, landing area and bail out area due to the length of the hole. You can really shape the green, put undulation on it, place bunkers where ever you want. Almost equivalence of an open book exam in college. Sounds great until you realize everything in the book is testable.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Absolutely no feel for this.

Very few players have played this course. It's not a very technical course. It's a US Open so fairways and greens are never bad.

Zalatoris finally win or does he become the next Fowler or Schauffele?? Bridesmaid for life.

Gimme JT, Zalatoris, Burns and Homa.
Went to a practice round Monday and we walked the entire course and I am not sure what you mean by not technical.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Went to a practice round Monday and we walked the entire course and I am not sure what you mean by not technical.

From what I read it's more of a target golf type course. Which isn't a criticism. There just isn't much on the creative side of the thinking. If you don't like the term "not technical" that's fine by me.

Doesn't necessarily favor a fade or a draw. Long distance isn't as important as correct distance off the tee. You won't see risk/reward tee shots where the players will bomb it and hack out of the rough up to the green. This won't be Bryson at Winged Foot. Around the greens it's more a traditional US Open course with taller rough. There isn't much decision making as to pitch, chip, bump and run or putt. You have to flop that ball over the tall stuff.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
From what I read it's more of a target golf type course. Which isn't a criticism. There just isn't much on the creative side of the thinking. If you don't like the term "not technical" that's fine by me.

Doesn't necessarily favor a fade or a draw. Long distance isn't as important as correct distance off the tee. You won't see risk/reward tee shots where the players will bomb it and hack out of the rough up to the green. This won't be Bryson at Winged Foot. Around the greens it's more a traditional US Open course with taller rough. There isn't much decision making as to pitch, chip, bump and run or putt. You have to flop that ball over the tall stuff.
Interesting take. I see it as allowing a lot more creativity on how to attack most holes. The small greens do put a premium on positioning, but on most holes a competent scrambler can par, especially one with solid bunker play. You'll still see bombers bombing away on about a third of the holes, imho.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Interesting take. I see it as allowing a lot more creativity on how to attack most holes. The small greens do put a premium on positioning, but on most holes a competent scrambler can par, especially one with solid bunker play. You'll still see bombers bombing away on about a third of the holes, imho.

Some of the front of the greens are shaved but left and right is pretty thick stuff
What I meant was due to small greens there isn't the choice of coming in low and hop and a skip up to the hole. Ball needs to come in high and soft and plop in to place.
Controlling spin will be crucial. Most of the iron shots in to the greens require one specific type of golf shot and either you hit it or you are in bad shape

Reaction Score
I have a GolfNow VIP membership and was suddenly rewarded with 12 free months of Peacock.

Watching the featureds in the morning.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Some of the front of the greens are shaved but left and right is pretty thick stuff
What I meant was due to small greens there isn't the choice of coming in low and hop and a skip up to the hole. Ball needs to come in high and soft and plop in to place.
Controlling spin will be crucial. Most of the iron shots in to the greens require one specific type of golf shot and either you hit it or you are in bad shape
When I think of 'target golf', I think of Widow's Walk in MA, some of the Fazio layouts, and more specifically Ko'olau in Oahu (now closed, a pity since it was like playing in Jurassic Park). Positioning off the tee is crucial, lots of "designated" landing spots (as opposed to "preferred" for your type of game). Difficult water or hazard carries forcing layups, etc.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Dang, Ancer withdrew due to illness. Patton Kizzire took his place.

Fowler must've been rooting for Speith to drop out as Rickie was next man up.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I'm pulling for my mechanic in Texas - Austin Greaser

Reaction Score
Just don't try to fly in or out of Logan. What a catastrophe. Can't believe they closed a tunnel while hosting the U.S. Open and NBA finals.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
So the consensus picks in this thread are:
3 votes: Rory, Homa, Zalatoris, JT
2 votes: Fitzpatrick, Xander
1 vote each: Scheffler, Burns, Greaser, Sung-jae, Conners, Lowry, Varner, Hovland, LFinau, List, Smith, Ancer (WD), Davis (DNQ)

By typical BY golf prediction standards, this is amazing.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
So the consensus picks in this thread are:
3 votes: Rory, Homa, Zalatoris, JT
2 votes: Fitzpatrick, Xander
1 vote each: Scheffler, Burns, Greaser, Sung-jae, Conners, Lowry, Varner, Hovland, LFinau, List, Smith, Ancer (WD), Davis (DNQ)

By typical BY golf prediction standards, this is amazing.
Well, a little less amazing that I originally stated. Sungjae, Conners, Lowry and Varner all dropped below the cut line with the leaders going to -5. But all the multiple vote getters are safely in and contending.

Four amateurs made the field of 64, including Greaser.

Reaction Score
Do they set tougher pins tomorrow? 23 guys under par is a lot for this tournament

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Do they set tougher pins tomorrow? 23 guys under par is a lot for this tournament
But not totally uncommon in past decade or so. Pebble Beach, Congressional, Pinehurst, and Erin Hills all has similar #s of players under par (or more) at this point.

Reaction Score
But not totally uncommon in past decade or so. Pebble Beach, Congressional, Pinehurst, and Erin Hills all has similar #s of players under par (or more) at this point.
Thx. My memory not that good

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Actually, quite similar to the last few years after two rounds:
2021 -5 lead, 13 players under par, cut was also +4.
2020 -4 lead, 11 players under par, cut was +6
2019 was significantly lower, -9 lead, cut +2
2018 was the last US Open that was really tough - winner was +1.
2017 winner was -16

I think the days of fighting for par in the US Open may be a thing of the past. These guys are just too long and good.

Reaction Score
Actually, quite similar to the last few years after two rounds:
2021 -5 lead, 13 players under par, cut was also +4.
2020 -4 lead, 11 players under par, cut was +6
2019 was significantly lower, -9 lead, cut +2
2018 was the last US Open that was really tough - winner was +1.
2017 winner was -16

I think the days of fighting for par in the US Open may be a thing of the past. These guys are just too long and good.
Not to be a jerk but 13 and 11 players under par is nearly 2x and more than 2x compared to 23

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Not to be a jerk but 13 and 11 players under par is nearly 2x and more than 2x compared to 23
No doubt. I was just surprised that the low score and cuts have been similar. I do like that there are a lot more players packed in contention for sure. I'd much rather have 30 guys within 5 shots than 15 or so.

The weekends for the last two have been tougher - scores not going down much.

Hopefully a good challenge for the weekend.

I think your original thought is what I like: Make it a challenge to shoot par golf. If the weekend shapes up that way, I'll be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom