2022 UConn QB Competition Discussion... | Page 11 | The Boneyard

2022 UConn QB Competition Discussion...

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Except he is not a four star QB is he?
He is ranked 4 star in my rankings, so yeah, he is. One thing we do know for certain that he was recruited as a QB by multiple P5 programs, and that your whole theory is down the tubes.

Reaction Score
He is ranked 4 star in my rankings, so yeah, he is. One thing we do know for certain that he was recruited as a QB by multiple P5 programs, and that your whole theory is down the tubes.
For the third time, I have no theory. Just asked a question. And no one has yet answered it. All those articles say is that he was a HS QB recruited by xyz P5 team.

Oh, and sorry about not being aware of your rankings. I will try to follow more closely next time. Sheesh!!

Reaction Score
For the third time, I have no theory. Just asked a question. And no one has yet answered it. All those articles say is that he was a HS QB recruited by xyz P5 team.
Many people have answered your question. The answer is there is no answer. This is a Schrödinger's Cat scenario. Until a coaching staff comes out and says why they recruited someone, we won't know one way or the other. And until then we need to assume he could have been recruited at these P5 schools to play QB or another position. Heck, even Mora's staff may be considering him at another position. We can't answer that question either until someone shares their insight.

Now, behind closed doors, it is certainly possible that perhaps say Rhett Lashlee told him that we would love you at Miami but not as a QB. But most would more likely assume that since he has played QB his whole HS career and won multiple championships as a QB, he was at least initially recruited by all these schools as a QB. But like Schrödinger's Cat, we won't know until someone opens the box.

Reaction Score

Oh, and sorry about not being aware of your rankings. I will try to follow more closely next time. Sheesh!!
The reason they don't say he is being recruited as a quarterback is because that is implied to any reasonable person. One would have to specifically say he is not being recruited as a quarterback for one of the best quarterbacks from one of the best programs in the country not to be recruited as a quarterback.

So if your question was is there any article with the exact wording saying that "Zion Turner was being recruited as a quarterback" then you should know that just is a stupid question in the first place. However, if your question was is he being recruiting as a P5 quarterback, then that has been answered in basically every article, see the West Virginia article that specifically talks about him considering West Virginia as him and the coach have talked about their plan for him developing as a Quarterback there.

You are either trolling now or you just have absolutely zero understanding of the human language. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say trolling, but either way, I hope you one day find that exact wording you are looking for.

Reaction Score
It’s a good day when we are arguing over how good of an athlete a 3 star, P5 recruited kid at the qb position is. The last time we did that was ….. never?

Reaction Score
This is a very smart way to recruit the position. When you bring in athletic kids for the QB spot, the upside is that you get a dynamic QB, the downside has an out if you are able to convince the kid to switch positions, and if he transfers he transfers. If you are bringing in immobile non-athletes, you don't have that potential alternative use, and if they decide to stay they are essentially dead weight. Provides much more inherent roster flexibility.

Reaction Score
Back in the 70s, Vince Dooley, the head coach at the University of Georgia, recruited Doug Flutie and Jim Kelley with the idea of making them cornerbacks. True.

Reaction Score
A thousand stories like that. Jamarr Chase talking yday about Les Miles telling him he wasn’t good enough to play WR at LSU and was recruited as a CB.

Reaction Score
Back in the 70s, Vince Dooley, the head coach at the University of Georgia, recruited Doug Flutie and Jim Kelley with the idea of making them cornerbacks. True.
Might be true but Flutie has said on several occasions he had 3 scholarship offers. BC, Maine and UCONN.

Reaction Score
Let's go another direction RS Tuthill. Saint Thomas Acquinas is one of the top High School football programs in America. Let's say 20 Universities threw Mr. Turner offers to play football at their school purely because they thought if they threw out many STA offers, the HS HC would feel obligated to send one of the 20 annual kids getting D1 scholarships to that university. Once at UCONN, should we care?

The truth is what the rest of us all know. Supply & Demand. Quarterback is a unique college position and scholarship. Bigtime p5 send one kid a year the slot. That's 65 times 5 or so. But therefore, most of that 300 exalted QB slots are kids with uber HS talent but no window to get on that football field and star. As the musical chairs game plays out, there are lots of really highly evaluated kids that never star.

UCONN now is fishing in that sea. The 25 top FBS kids aren't gonna swim into our part of the portal. The top HS programs may think our BRAND is ok for their star QB to try. We play big programs on tv. With the portal, we get a quarterback room with several probabilities of solid field play. Let the best one win. We don't care about the mishagas that led each to arrive at our Burton Center. We only care about one winning the job; Charlton being able to develop QBs prospects into a number 1; moving the chains and completing passes to a solid WR wing of playmakers and scoring points. Turner or Roberson or Millen or Krajewski or Phommachanh. JUST NEED ONE ...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Well we haven’t begun the competition yet! Hopefully one clear winner emerges, but that doesn’t mean you cant have 3 or 4 capable quarterbacks on a roster. Don’t forget that Ohio State won a national championship with a 3rd stringer in 2014.

I skip the obvious we aren't Ohio State. Even that year was a fluke for them. You at most have one guy and one guy who will be transferring/graduating at the end of the season.

Teams that have multiple "good" starting QB's are ones that can recruit one every year regardless of who they already have on the roster.

Take Penn State. They have one top 25 level QB and a bunch of dreck becuase their other expectes starter transferred last season to be #1 at Kentucky or some such place. They're back up(our new guy) couldn't be trusted in actual games and was demoted for a true freshman that they had no intention of playing.

They now have a stud coming in this year, so they are back to par with a graduating #1 to be replaced next year by this new guy, plus they will likely recruit another stud just in case this year's recruit doesn't pan out.

You can figure out for yourself which of the above plan doesn't work for us.

We get the cast-offs and hope to get lucky. I'm on board with Mora buying as many lottery tickets as he can. I'm just not naive enough to assume one of those is a grand prize winner. I'll settle for competently serviceable whomever it is.

Reaction Score
I skip the obvious we aren't Ohio State. Even that year was a fluke for them. You at most have one guy and one guy who will be transferring/graduating at the end of the season.

Teams that have multiple "good" starting QB's are ones that can recruit one every year regardless of who they already have on the roster.

Take Penn State. They have one top 25 level QB and a bunch of dreck becuase their other expectes starter transferred last season to be #1 at Kentucky or some such place. They're back up(our new guy) couldn't be trusted in actual games and was demoted for a true freshman that they had no intention of playing.

They now have a stud coming in this year, so they are back to par with a graduating #1 to be replaced next year by this new guy, plus they will likely recruit another stud just in case this year's recruit doesn't pan out.

You can figure out for yourself which of the above plan doesn't work for us.

We get the cast-offs and hope to get lucky. I'm on board with Mora buying as many lottery tickets as he can. I'm just not naive enough to assume one of those is a grand prize winner. I'll settle for competently serviceable whomever it is.

AND ... therefore, we are better off than we were in August 2021. And every day we get a little better. And Charlton is far better at developing a number 1 than whatever we thought we were doing last summer.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This Thread, a summary:

UConn has the best collection of QBs on the roster in recent memory, both near team and developmental.
UConn fans whine, complain and suggest that some may switch positions because they have some irrational attachment to one of those guys.

Reaction Score
The reason they don't say he is being recruited as a quarterback is because that is implied to any reasonable person. One would have to specifically say he is not being recruited as a quarterback for one of the best quarterbacks from one of the best programs in the country not to be recruited as a quarterback.

So if your question was is there any article with the exact wording saying that "Zion Turner was being recruited as a quarterback" then you should know that just is a stupid question in the first place. However, if your question was is he being recruiting as a P5 quarterback, then that has been answered in basically every article, see the West Virginia article that specifically talks about him considering West Virginia as him and the coach have talked about their plan for him developing as a Quarterback there.

You are either trolling now or you just have absolutely zero understanding of the human language. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say trolling, but either way, I hope you one day find that exact wording you are looking for.
Wow. Truly blown away by your outburst. I suggest you get some help, but I will give you the last word. That someone could get so passionately wrapped up in the number 125th team in the nation is beyond understanding.
Many people have answered your question. The answer is there is no answer. This is a Schrödinger's Cat scenario. Until a coaching staff comes out and says why they recruited someone, we won't know one way or the other. And until then we need to assume he could have been recruited at these P5 schools to play QB or another position. Heck, even Mora's staff may be considering him at another position. We can't answer that question either until someone shares their insight.

Now, behind closed doors, it is certainly possible that perhaps say Rhett Lashlee told him that we would love you at Miami but not as a QB. But most would more likely assume that since he has played QB his whole HS career and won multiple championships as a QB, he was at least initially recruited by all these schools as a QB. But like Schrödinger's Cat, we won't know until someone opens the box.
A simple "no one knows would have sufficed", but thank you.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This Thread, a summary:

UConn has the best collection of QBs on the roster in recent memory, both near team and developmental.
UConn fans whine, complain and suggest that some may switch positions because they have some irrational attachment to one of those guys.

Wishful thinking. Quantity means nothing if one of them doesn't step up. Until someone does DanO by himself is a better collection. So is Tyler Lorenzen and for that matter Zach Frazer.

Mora is upgrading the recruiting at the position. That is an indisputable fact, a low bar, and entirely irrelevant all at the same time. Fall can't get here fast enough.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
This Thread, a summary:

You forgot the wild overrating of Tyler Lorenzen

Other than that, nicely done

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom