2022 UConn QB Competition Discussion... | Page 12 | The Boneyard

2022 UConn QB Competition Discussion...

Reaction Score
This Thread, a summary:

UConn has the best collection of QBs on the roster in recent memory, both near team and developmental.
UConn fans whine, complain and suggest that some may switch positions because they have some irrational attachment to one of those guys.

Really it’s just one guy who thinks a recruit sucks because a few schools recruited him as an athlete.

Reaction Score
Back in the 70s, Vince Dooley, the head coach at the University of Georgia, recruited Doug Flutie and Jim Kelley with the idea of making them cornerbacks. True.

But that’s aNeCdOtal

Reaction Score
Wow. Truly blown away by your outburst. I suggest you get some help, but I will give you the last word. That someone could get so passionately wrapped up in the number 125th team in the nation is beyond understanding.

A simple "no one knows would have sufficed", but thank you.
So I was correct in giving you the benefit of the doubt in that you were a troll. Thank you for proving me right.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Having an NFL head coach has to boost access to better recruits or what's the point. I like the idea of hanging out with other schools that offer guys like this. It can only help attract others. Still need to show on the field to sign guys like this unless there is a lot of luck involved.

Reaction Score
I skip the obvious we aren't Ohio State. Even that year was a fluke for them. You at most have one guy and one guy who will be transferring/graduating at the end of the season.

Teams that have multiple "good" starting QB's are ones that can recruit one every year regardless of who they already have on the roster.

Take Penn State. They have one top 25 level QB and a bunch of dreck becuase their other expectes starter transferred last season to be #1 at Kentucky or some such place. They're back up(our new guy) couldn't be trusted in actual games and was demoted for a true freshman that they had no intention of playing.

They now have a stud coming in this year, so they are back to par with a graduating #1 to be replaced next year by this new guy, plus they will likely recruit another stud just in case this year's recruit doesn't pan out.

You can figure out for yourself which of the above plan doesn't work for us.

We get the cast-offs and hope to get lucky. I'm on board with Mora buying as many lottery tickets as he can. I'm just not naive enough to assume one of those is a grand prize winner. I'll settle for competently serviceable whomever it is.
I agree with you, and I agree with the general premise that if you have 2+ QBs, you have no QBs. That said - just like it’s too early to be overly optimistic - it’s too early to be pessimistic. Nobody’s picked up a ball yet. If we’re into August and Mora doesn’t know who will start, I’ll be concerned, but I’m not going to start getting worked up because there’s no clear starter in January. I want serviceable as well, and that bar will be much easier to clear with an improved and experienced O line. There is a lot to look forward to.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I agree with you, and I agree with the general premise that if you have 2+ QBs, you have no QBs. That said - just like it’s too early to be overly optimistic - it’s too early to be pessimistic. Nobody’s picked up a ball yet. If we’re into August and Mora doesn’t know who will start, I’ll be concerned, but I’m not going to start getting worked up because there’s no clear starter in January. I want serviceable as well, and that bar will be much easier to clear with an improved and experienced O line. There is a lot to look forward to.

I think the talent at QB is clearly there now.

But yes, now need the talent to keep them consistently upright and push to open holes for guys. Mensah didn’t just magically get worse last year

Reaction Score
Let's go another direction RS Tuthill. Saint Thomas Acquinas is one of the top High School football programs in America. Let's say 20 Universities threw Mr. Turner offers to play football at their school purely because they thought if they threw out many STA offers, the HS HC would feel obligated to send one of the 20 annual kids getting D1 scholarships to that university. Once at UCONN, should we care?

The truth is what the rest of us all know. Supply & Demand. Quarterback is a unique college position and scholarship. Bigtime p5 send one kid a year the slot. That's 65 times 5 or so. But therefore, most of that 300 exalted QB slots are kids with uber HS talent but no window to get on that football field and star. As the musical chairs game plays out, there are lots of really highly evaluated kids that never star.

UCONN now is fishing in that sea. The 25 top FBS kids aren't gonna swim into our part of the portal. The top HS programs may think our BRAND is ok for their star QB to try. We play big programs on tv. With the portal, we get a quarterback room with several probabilities of solid field play. Let the best one win. We don't care about the mishagas that led each to arrive at our Burton Center. We only care about one winning the job; Charlton being able to develop QBs prospects into a number 1; moving the chains and completing passes to a solid WR wing of playmakers and scoring points. Turner or Roberson or Millen or Krajewski or Phommachanh. JUST NEED ONE ...
Why take it in another direction? It was a simple question. The answer is that no one knows. End of story. Amazed yopu cannot let it go at that. Are you paid by the word or something? Or are you a conspriacy theorist?

Reaction Score
The world doesn’t function like that Robert McNamara.
I've read Halberstam's book. Pretty good. But no, the point is that a few anecdotes are meaningless. In this case the data are in front of everyone. It's football, a sport. Thousands watch. The data are not really suspect if the hard work of collecting them is put in. The lesson of McNamara is that he demanded data with no regard to quality because high quality data were impossible to obtain in that theater.

Reaction Score
So I was correct in giving you the benefit of the doubt in that you were a troll. Thank you for proving me right.
And somehow using your logic, you have proved that hypothesis? That in mathematics is called fuzzy logic, but I think in this case you simply got lost in a DO loop or something. You ended up with a non sequitur. I am a UConn fan. Are you? Only 238 messages suggests you haven't been a fan for very long, if that is in fact what you are.

Reaction Score
OK ... tUThill ... consider this a warning. We are not gonna pollute Commitment threads with nonsense any longer. You respect the new guys or you don't participate.

Reaction Score
OK ... tUThill ... consider this a warning. We are not gonna pollute Commitment threads with nonsense any longer. You respect the new guys or you don't participate.
That is simply ridiculous. Asking a simple question is disrespect? You are WAY over-reacting. Go ahead, kick me off. That will make plain that all you are about is thought police.

Reaction Score
That is simply ridiculous. Asking a simple question is disrespect? You are WAY over-reacting. Go ahead, kick me off. That will make plain that all you are about is thought police.
No, he's just trying to keep the "snark" out. Guess the learning process doesn't only stop for 1968 grads.

Reaction Score
I've read Halberstam's book. Pretty good. But no, the point is that a few anecdotes are meaningless. In this case the data are in front of everyone. It's football, a sport. Thousands watch. The data are not really suspect if the hard work of collecting them is put in. The lesson of McNamara is that he demanded data with no regard to quality because high quality data were impossible to obtain in that theater.

Also you obviously aren’t looking at this deeply enough because you are some old troll who just figured out how to attach a file to an email.

Any data that could be mined would be meaningless. Because none would indicate the player’s preference. It’s garbage data and a garbage argument.

Reaction Score
And somehow using your logic, you have proved that hypothesis? That in mathematics is called fuzzy logic, but I think in this case you simply got lost in a DO loop or something. You ended up with a non sequitur. I am a UConn fan. Are you? Only 238 messages suggests you haven't been a fan for very long, if that is in fact what you are.
Been here longer than you buddy, but I don't just need to fill the pages with garbage like you. I cannot wait for you to argue that fact when you simply could look to the left of any post to see. But for you those dates probably will just flatly be ignored and you will write 20 responses on how I cannot prove I have been here longer than you even though is is plainly within your eyesight on this page.

Since you talk about the "mathematics" of hypothesis testing, which is a particularly weird way of talking about it, I will walk you like a little child through the one we are experimenting with here. If you actually did understand what even the word hypothesis means, you would understand that all it takes is one example to reject the Null hypothesis of him not being recruited by a P5 school as a QB. Given that the West Virginia article talks about him from his very own mouth being recruited as a QB to West Virginia, a P5 school, you can immediately reject the Null and accept the alternative hypothesis of him having been recruited as a P5 QB. You don't prove the alternative hypothesis like you are asking everyone to do, that's impossible and I imagine even in your convoluted rants, that is exactly what you are leaning on here, you simply reject the Null as at least medic and I have successfully done already. No matter how long you continue to ignore multiple reputable articles on this, including direct words from the horses mouth, it doesn't change reality.

Now it appears that what you call "mathematics" and I call scientific method has beyond any doubt proven that you are nothing but a troll on here and that your thousands of posts more than mine are probably just garbage.

Reaction Score
Can we let Mora and Charlton see the QB's in action for the entire spring practice before they even remotely start thinking about naming a starter? Unless someone is looking like the next Tom Brady or Joe Burrow within the first few weeks, I don't think we see a start named before summer camp. I still think Roberson is the starter with Tyler being injured unless Zion absolutely blows away expectations from the get go.

Reaction Score
Can we let Mora and Charlton see the QB's in action for the entire spring practice before they even remotely start thinking about naming a starter? Unless someone is looking like the next Tom Brady or Joe Burrow within the first few weeks, I don't think we see a start named before summer camp. I still think Roberson is the starter with Tyler being injured unless Zion absolutely blows away expectations from the get go.

Mora needs to stop kicking the can down the road and name a starter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom