OT: - 2018 NBA Draft | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: 2018 NBA Draft

Reaction Score
Clearly withholding the medical records instilled a lot of confidence league-wide.

The Knicks can't afford to gamble. It's not that he won't play this season. It's a question of whether this will be a chronic problem.

I was all for the Celts taking him because they can afford to gamble. But killing the Knicks for not taking a guy with major red flags doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Meanwhile, my Celts just keep killing it.
I mean, I kind of get that point of view but I don't agree with it. The Knicks aren't going to turn the team around by not taking chances on guys. This team has 1, maybe 2 long term pieces. If that's not the time to gamble on a potential superstar talent I don't know what is.

When you're constantly picking in the late lottery you never get the chance at the unquestioned star like Ayton or Doncic. Not gambling is how you end up with a team never good enough to win and never bad enough to really lose

Reaction Score
NBA: Wings are at a premium! We love switching!
Also NBA: Draft 5 bigs in first 7 picks and 0 3 and D wings.

See, I hear you on that, and your other replies on the topic are well conceived, but I do think there is something to be said for the zigzag effect. The league has been 3 and D'd to death. I think the excruciating Rockets-Warriors series signaled the glass ceiling on that. I'm not saying the league is ever going to return to where it was as recently as ten years ago, but I'm willing to buy stock in post-oriented players who have become undervalued in the analytics age. That doesn't mean you want Anthony Davis and Demarcus Cousins on the same team, but the most important skill is still putting the ball in the hole. There are only so many Curry's and Harden's, guys who can dance along the three point line until some room opens up. They may be the rare players that can make the math work with stepback threes versus easier twos. Everyone else, even teams like Boston, is going to eventually get to a game where they have to exchange two pointer for two pointer, at least for long enough to open up the three. It's a fair point that post-ups are lower value these days because of the contact allowed and the amount of time it takes to set up. That's what makes the Embiid's and Simmons' of the world so valuable - guys who can take the ball from the three point line and post within seconds. I'm not sure Ayton is going to get there, but I think if you're Phoenix you have to bet on him controlling games for 46 minutes and then letting Booker take over down the stretch.

Reaction Score
I mean, I kind of get that point of view but I don't agree with it. The Knicks aren't going to turn the team around by not taking chances on guys. This team has 1, maybe 2 long term pieces. If that's not the time to gamble on a potential superstar talent I don't know what is.

When you're constantly picking in the late lottery you never get the chance at the unquestioned star like Ayton or Doncic. Not gambling is how you end up with a team never good enough to win and never bad enough to really lose

Our mid lottery safe picks often dont pan out. Sweeney, Frye, Jordan hill, ntilikina is looking like an average player at best. Knox has youth on his side but his play at Kentucky hardly shows that he can be a franchise player or even an all star level talent. Maybe he surprises us, I hope so. But I get the feeling we got another so so guy that would be s good role player on a good team. Non, would have been a swing for the fences and even if he was a complete miss, I'm ok with try to knock it out of the park over looking for the walk.

Reaction Score
Does anyone see any real value in what Woj does? I feel like there is a large disconnect between media execs and fans. Because I see absolutely no value in breaking picks 1 minute before Silver does. Breaking trades is more useful but even then, the news is getting leaked literally minutes before it would otherwise.

Reaction Score
Knox might be good, but I can't be convinced it was a good decision to pass on MPJ

Jerry West passed on Porter Jr, twice. Charlotte, who loves to take overrated/highly-touted kids, passed on him. Four picks after the Knicks passed on him too, yet it's the Knicks who get heat for it. Cool.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Jerry West passed on Porter Jr, twice. Charlotte, who loves to take overrated/highly-touted kids, passed on him. Four picks after the Knicks passed on him too, yet it's the Knicks who get heat for it. Cool.
Well considering he’s probably a Knicks fan, why does that confuse you?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

I see that POV, too, but I suspect the Knicks they're getting a potential star in Knox without medical red flags.

Reaction Score
Does anyone see any real value in what Woj does? I feel like there is a large disconnect between media execs and fans. Because I see absolutely no value in breaking picks 1 minute before Silver does. Breaking trades is more useful but even then, the news is getting leaked literally minutes before it would otherwise.

On Draft night it's just fun to be ahead of people. Not really any long term value gained, but it's cool to be part of a club of sorts. The trades is where it actually matters.

I have to think it helps actual people running shows and generating content get organized before they need to talk about the picks instead of being reactive. Probably invaluable to them.

Reaction Score
On Draft night it's just fun to be ahead of people. Not really any long term value gained, but it's cool to be part of a club of sorts. The trades is where it actually matters.

I have to think it helps actual people running shows and generating content get organized before they need to talk about the picks instead of being reactive. Probably invaluable to them.

I have a hard time seeing how a 1-minute Head Start is helping content generators.

Reaction Score
I have a hard time seeing how a 1-minute Head Start is helping content generators.

Talking about live bloggers and live shows mostly. Cueing the right graphic, getting research and talking points in order, getting the pre-written piece in place, etc.

Reaction Score
See, I hear you on that, and your other replies on the topic are well conceived, but I do think there is something to be said for the zigzag effect. The league has been 3 and D'd to death. I think the excruciating Rockets-Warriors series signaled the glass ceiling on that. I'm not saying the league is ever going to return to where it was as recently as ten years ago, but I'm willing to buy stock in post-oriented players who have become undervalued in the analytics age. That doesn't mean you want Anthony Davis and Demarcus Cousins on the same team, but the most important skill is still putting the ball in the hole. There are only so many Curry's and Harden's, guys who can dance along the three point line until some room opens up. They may be the rare players that can make the math work with stepback threes versus easier twos. Everyone else, even teams like Boston, is going to eventually get to a game where they have to exchange two pointer for two pointer, at least for long enough to open up the three. It's a fair point that post-ups are lower value these days because of the contact allowed and the amount of time it takes to set up. That's what makes the Embiid's and Simmons' of the world so valuable - guys who can take the ball from the three point line and post within seconds. I'm not sure Ayton is going to get there, but I think if you're Phoenix you have to bet on him controlling games for 46 minutes and then letting Booker take over down the stretch.

Yeah my post was just a joke. I understand the reality that the early picks are about upside. 3 and D guys are incredibly valuable role players... for teams that are winning. Worse teams need to get those foundational playmakers and high ceiling guys. That's part of the conundrum of Jaren Jackson... he's comparably lower ceiling than the guys around him due to his lack of playmaking, but he's an unbelievable fit in the modern game. So much more valuable to a winning team than to a lottery team.

As for post-ups... it's not really about time. Not sure where you got that from. Shots just go in less often from those play types for less points, even from stars. It's just much more effective to have your big roll to the rim for a 75% accurate lob dunk or pop for a 35% 3 point attempt than a 45% hook shot. And dunking lobs takes very little skill, so the market is saturated with guys that are big and long and aren't required to have a high skill level. It's a lot easier to find a guy with a 7'5" wingspan than a guy with McHale's moves. Ayton is a bit of both, but we've established the post-ups aren't that valuable, so why are you investing the #1 pick in a guy with replaceable talent at #27 (Robert Williams or for example Clint Capela).

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

That's just crazy to me. The last sentence. I just can't imagine an NBA franchise even noting the slightest bit of pressure from a players family.

Reaction Score
Talking about live bloggers and live shows mostly. Cueing the right graphic, getting research and talking points in order, getting the pre-written piece in place, etc.

Woj is breaking the story on Twitter the second he gets the info as he doesn't want to get scooped. You are over thinking this. It is an irrelevant race for bragging rights that apparently matters to people for some insane reason.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Woj is breaking the story on Twitter the second he gets the info as he doesn't want to get scooped. You are over thinking this. It is an irrelevant race for bragging rights that apparently matters to people for some insane reason.

He with the most clicks/traffic wins (gets paid the most).

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Yeah my post was just a joke. I understand the reality that the early picks are about upside. 3 and D guys are incredibly valuable role players... for teams that are winning. Worse teams need to get those foundational playmakers and high ceiling guys. That's part of the conundrum of Jaren Jackson... he's comparably lower ceiling than the guys around him due to his lack of playmaking, but he's an unbelievable fit in the modern game. So much more valuable to a winning team than to a lottery team.

As for post-ups... it's not really about time. Not sure where you got that from. Shots just go in less often from those play types for less points, even from stars. It's just much more effective to have your big roll to the rim for a 75% accurate lob dunk or pop for a 35% 3 point attempt than a 45% hook shot. And dunking lobs takes very little skill, so the market is saturated with guys that are big and long and aren't required to have a high skill level. It's a lot easier to find a guy with a 7'5" wingspan than a guy with McHale's moves. Ayton is a bit of both, but we've established the post-ups aren't that valuable, so why are you investing the #1 pick in a guy with replaceable talent at #27 (Robert Williams or for example Clint Capela).

Yeah. Jackson is fascinating considering how little a role he was offensively.

And to your last point, most guys on post ups suck, but it’s also proof there’s always room for the Shaq’s of the world.

Reaction Score
Can someone help me understand a move last night that I found puzzling? In the lottery, Charlotte picked Shai Gilgeous-Alexander at 11 and traded him to the Clippers for their pick at 12, Miles Bridges and 2 2nd round picks. Normally, when you see teams a few spots apart trade picks and toss in a player/pick/cash consideration, there are teams picking in between them, but in this case they were picking consecutively...

Theoretically the Clippers checked with Charlotte and knew they weren't interested in SGA, otherwise wouldn't Charlotte just take him and say 'sorry Clippers'? So if Charlotte didn't want SGA... why didn't the Clippers just let the Hornets take Bridges and then draft SGA on their own and not give up 2 2nd rounders?

It made no sense to me, you aren't worried that SGA is going to get poached one pick before you... because you're trading with the team before you. Somebody help me out here

Reaction Score
As was already said, I'm a Knicks fan so quite honestly I don't care what those teams did. But I also think they're dumb for passing on him

Reaction Score
I see that POV, too, but I suspect the Knicks they're getting a potential star in Knox without medical red flags.
I'm high on Knox too, so nothing against him as a player. MPJ is just so much better than everyone else to me that I think even if there's a 25% chance he reaches that potential you take him

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Can someone help me understand a move last night that I found puzzling? In the lottery, Charlotte picked Shai Gilgeous-Alexander at 11 and traded him to the Clippers for their pick at 12, Miles Bridges and 2 2nd round picks. Normally, when you see teams a few spots apart trade picks and toss in a player/pick/cash consideration, there are teams picking in between them, but in this case they were picking consecutively...

Theoretically the Clippers checked with Charlotte and knew they weren't interested in SGA, otherwise wouldn't Charlotte just take him and say 'sorry Clippers'? So if Charlotte didn't want SGA... why didn't the Clippers just let the Hornets take Bridges and then draft SGA on their own and not give up 2 2nd rounders?

It made no sense to me, you aren't worried that SGA is going to get poached one pick before you... because you're trading with the team before you. Somebody help me out here

It keeps someone else from moving up. The other option was supposedly phoenix so they valued bridges plus the junk they got more than what they were offered to drop further back and probably not get Bridges

Reaction Score

There were also a lot of reports in the week before the draft that Charlotte was going to take SGA

Reaction Score

You asked who got value from it, not what value Woj got from it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom