WR/TE/QB Jasen Rose (Southington HS CT) | Page 11 | The Boneyard

WR/TE/QB Jasen Rose (Southington HS CT)

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Syracuse has a commit from the #16 ranked pro style QB in the 2016 class. He has many P-5 offers and is ther QB of the future.

This. I'm excited for Donovan Williams and want him to succeed while wearing a Husky uniform, but from J. Rose's perspective, it has to look like an easier path to PT than what he'd find at Cuse.

Reaction Score
This recruitment could be the lynch pin for the future. Probably the most visible local recruit for the last two years & counting.
He comes to UConn & it makes local recruiting so much easier.
I wish Jasen well whatever he decides, but I'm biased in favor of my alma mater.

Reaction Score
This recruitment could be the lynch pin for the future. Probably the most visible local recruit for the last two years & counting.
He comes to UConn & it makes local recruiting so much easier.
I wish Jasen well whatever he decides, but I'm biased in favor of my alma mater.
Not to dump on your point but I feel like we hear this with every major CT recruit. I. Can count newsome and Cochran in just the past few years as guys we've heard the same about. It definitely helps but I don't think anyone player is going to unleash the tidal wave of top CT talent staying in state.

Reaction Score
Not to dump on your point but I feel like we hear this with every major CT recruit. I. Can count newsome and Cochran in just the past few years as guys we've heard the same about. It definitely helps but I don't think anyone player is going to unleash the tidal wave of top CT talent staying in state.
The UConn program as a long way to go to be a destination school for top in state talent. A new conference and bowl success will help a lot. We also need to keep successful coaches from jumping to the big name programs after they have had success.

Reaction Score
Why hasn't Rose received more offers as a QB? His stats are ridiculous. Is he just flying under the radar?

Reaction Score
Disagree with your last thought. Diaco needs to seal the deal.

I COMPLETELY AGREE w/ Coach Cap.
Rose is a major recruit and we have to start winning some of these battles for top and coveted talent. Our best chances to do so are w/ local players.
We have to turn the tide by getting some of these great players and building from there.

Come on Jason, by going to UCONN, you can excel and forever be recognized here and build along and rewarding career in the state no matter what you do. Connecticut loves UCONN and its players and that kind of love is really rewarding when your playing days are over down the road.

GO UCONN!!!!!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Not looking for a tidal wave, just looking to win two or so more good local kids a year - that would be success. Of course, we want the best from any state we can get, but its nice to have the local story too. Rose would have a great chance at UConn to try to do something special and that is change the direction of football at the state's flagship program.

Reaction Score
Why hasn't Rose received more offers as a QB? His stats are ridiculous. Is he just flying under the radar?
Only played last season as his first at starting QB.

Reaction Score
So here is my take on this whole thing...if Rose goes to Cuse..it's likely by his Sophomore year he be playing for a new head coach. If he comes to UCONN and Diaco can turn this program around there is a chance he will be playing for another coach by his Senior year.
Now that I hd my Nelson moment..please forgive me by the way...here is how I see it. With Sherriffs, it looks like UCONN is set at QB for a few seasons (I know things happen, but for projection sake he has 2 more years of eligibility to play after this season) Rose will be a rs freshman when Sherriffs is a Sr..most likely a shot at the job for 3 years if he can beat out Tyler Davis. Terrell Hunt is out for the season and will petition for a 6th year of eligibility. If he gets it, Rose will have a shot at the job for 4 years as a rs freshman. If it's Cuse..maybe it came down to the fact he felt he had a better shot at playing early. I still have a good feeling about this..and if he does choose Cuse that's ok. The fact Diaco was able to stay in the game till the end says a lot right now.
Seems Cuse wants him as a TE as they got a 3 star kid from Fla they think is there future...Rex Culpepper..does Rose prefer or want to QB...if so he should come here.

Reaction Score
Seems Cuse wants him as a TE as they got a 3 star kid from Fla they think is there future...Rex Culpepper..does Rose prefer or want to QB...if so he should come here.

Syracuse is reported to be recruiting JR as a QB. JR would like opportunity to play QB. Of course he should come to UConn - competition should not be a deterrent.

Reaction Score
I have to question whether we need Rose, or not.

First, several coaches apparently have said he's more of a TE rather than a QB. We really don't need more TE's.

Second, remember when BC's CT based coach told Boyle to look elsewhere. Well, Boyle put up big numbers at Xavier. But, look what he hasn't done here. CT HS football isn't as good as it's coaches claim. If Rose is in the same class as Boyle, perhaps it's best he goes to Cuse
Other than good statewide pub, it might be much better to get 2-3 OL's and a RB. Especially in a year with limited scolies available.

Reaction Score

First, several coaches apparently have said he's more of a TE rather than a QB. We really don't need more TE's.

Second, remember when BC's CT based coach told Boyle to look elsewhere. Well, Boyle put up big numbers at Xavier. But, look what he hasn't done here. CT HS football isn't as good as it's coaches claim. If Rose is in the same class as Boyle, perhaps it's best he goes to Cuse
Other than good statewide pub, it might be much better to get 2-3 OL's and a RB. Especially in a year with limited scolies available.

What on earth are you talking about? You can never have enough talented QB recruits (a UConn fan should know that). And if he doesn't cut it as a QB, you still have a talented TE prospect. No, we don't "need" Rose just like we don't "need" any single recruit. Yes, we should absolutely be going after him.

Reaction Score
He got an offer to Wisconsin. I don't care what position. Be happy that we are still in the running. Good job by Diaco if he brings him in.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Great story. In 1984, Coach Bobby Knight was coming off a gold-medal Olympic run with Michael Jordan. Knight was friends with then Portland Trailblazer GM, Stu Inman, and called to sell him on Jordan as their first pick in the upcoming NBA draft. With Clyde Drexler already on the team, Inman had other plans.

Inman:We need a center.

Bobby Knight:Then draft Jordan, and play him at center.

UConn Scholarship Quarterbacks 2013 (2014 status in parenthesis)

Chandler Whitmer (Had to be convinced to bridge the gap)
Casey Cochran (Played 1 game. "Retired" due to concussion worries)
Kivan Taylor (Transferred)
Tim Boyle (Forced to play when not ready...again)
Scott McCummings (Did not return to team for 2014 camp)

Notice that UConn's current starting QB was not on the active roster in 2013 or '14.

Do I really have to explain the moral of the above two stories?

Reaction Score

The stat line doesn't show you that JR threw 47tds and only played the forth Q in one game last year. He threw 6tds Friday and played one series in the third. He has a chance to break the career TD record in the state and he will be a two year starter. If you watch him play he is deadly accurate. I do agree that CT competition is not great and due to the 50pt rule he probably won't break records because he can never play the forth Q but you have to judge based on what you have. There are not a lot of QBs nationally that throw the ball with his accuracy. Boyle is not in his class. Uconn will get a gift if they land him. Keep your fingers crossed.

Reaction Score
You can't teach 6'5" with durability & hands. First of all, as previously stated by others, you can never have enough qbs. If tight end is a better position for him, he's amenable to playing the position. UConn plays BYU in a few weeks. The Coogs have 3 receivers 6'5" or taller. They've won their last 2 games by playing alley-oop in the end zone for TDs. It would be nice for UConn to have that type of option.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom