Will MM's behavior at the Final Four hurt ND recruiting? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Will MM's behavior at the Final Four hurt ND recruiting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Although I do not consider myself a overly patriotic person, there is no national anthem other my own during which I would place my hand over my heart.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Or maybe Doris Burke interpreted the "civility" comment as referring to "class." It is certainly within the realm of a reasonable interpretation, from a listener's perspective.

I do not recall what Muffet pregame interview it was, but she said she felt a lot of Tenn fans and others would be rooting for ND so that Geno would not pass Pat S in total NC wins and then went on to say that WCBB lost a lot of class at the top when PS retired.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I do not recall what Muffet pregame interview it was, but she said she felt a lot of Tenn fans and others would be rooting for ND so that Geno would not pass Pat S in total NC wins and then went on to say that WCBB lost a lot of class at the top when PS retired.
This thread contains the MM quote that Doris addressed. Here it is again:

"I think that the entire Tennessee nation will be on our side," McGraw said when asked who Lady Vols fans in attendance will root for. "There are a lot of people who want to see us win just to preserve Pat's legacy now. I think all women's coaches really respect her and looked up to her, because they knew when she spoke, it was about what was good for the women's game. She role-modeled how to be gracious in victory, as well as defeat. She was such a classy coach and, unfortunately, the game and sportsmanship lost a lot when we lost her."

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I am not a fan of McGraw nor have I ever been, and it has been for the very reasons and quotes that are scattered about this thread. It is difficult for me to respect anyone who has to speak badly about someone in order to further their own cause. McGraw in my eyes has been, is, and always will be a mal-intentioned whiner.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I have always valued integrity. With her antics prior to the FF, Muffett displayed none at all. I had thought that she was above that, but I guess that one gets tired of getting ones butt kicked when it really counts. She knows that she missed her window last year, and her display this year was a feeble attempt to convince her team that they had a chance against one of the best UConn teams inhistory.
In answer to the OP question, if I'm a parent of a top HS player, then that does enter into the conversation...

As far as creating a stink to get the attention away from the players, I believe Geno's been up to that before.

Muffett's execution was terrible though.

And not clapping -> lame.

Reaction Score
The contemptuous, in-your-face, orchestrated not clapping was a hard-core high school mean-girl stunt.

Hard to believe it happened without the coach's endorsement.

I doubt that these things will have a big effect on kids' view of the Notre Dame program -- they are young.

But, this whole chapter of MM's behavior (the stunt, her facial expressions and gestures on the sidelines, accusing the other coach of incivility, the lack of judgment about how her actions and comments would come across to others) suggests to me she doesn't have very mature control of her emotions.

Reaction Score
kids dont always see things the same way mature adults do... some may see it as "Muffett is a bad b* ".

when you get 50, 60, 70, 80 yrs old you see thing a little differently
No way Dude, Muffet rocks, she is totally Bad Ass. :cool::cool:

Reaction Score
I don't blame MM for the way she is. How did we feel, as fans, when ND was beating UCONN for those few years. Imagine what it must be like getting your butts kicked for decades and when you finally are undefeated and possibly playing for an NC you go to a press conference and the first question they ask you is about Geno.

45 TO GO

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I would have to disagree with you on this one. I think that it would have shown respect. When major league teams are playing a Canadian team inwhatever sport, both anthems are played, and the players show proper respect during both.
At the potential disrespect or question of loyalty to her own country. All that is necessary is to stand quietly. She is not making a pledge just respecting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nope. She is going to get some players because folks want to be the best and in order to be the best you have to beat the best. So she will land some top talent with her act during the Final Four. She played her cards well.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Just curious - why do people think MM orchestrated the no-clapping? There is zero evidence that this happened. Plus, I've been asking around to various people that were in the room when Breanna won the POY award and no one can swear that MM didn't clap at the time Breanna's name was called. It's not like people were watching her for her reaction. Yes, MM was caught on tape not clapping but that was several seconds later. I don't know if MM clapped for Stewie or not because people in the room don't know and that means none of you know for sure, either.

Some posts in this thread are edging towards hysterical, and I don't mean the ha-ha kind of hysterical. Not sure why this thread is still alive, really.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Just curious - why do people think MM orchestrated the no-clapping? There is zero evidence that this happened. Plus, I've been asking around to various people that were in the room when Breanna won the POY award and no one can swear that MM didn't clap at the time Breanna's name was called. It's not like people were watching her for her reaction. Yes, MM was caught on tape not clapping but that was several seconds later. I don't know if MM clapped for Stewie or not because people in the room don't know and that means none of you know for sure, either.

Some posts in this thread are edging towards hysterical, and I don't mean the ha-ha kind of hysterical. Not sure why this thread is still alive, really.
I've pretty much stayed away from this but I believe Geno mentioned how Stewart was treated when she won the award. He was really pissed off.

I don't know if she didn't clap but there was an issue. From ESPN:

McGraw also noted the tension in a crowded room at Bridgewater Arena over the weekend when their teams showed up to support the winners of The Associated Press awards for coach of the year -- McGraw -- and player of the year, Huskies sophomore Breanna Stewart.

"I think there was definite tension in the room," McGraw said. "I think, for us, we wanted Kayla McBride to win the player of the year award. So, I think it was a little bit of that."

And from Rich Elliot:

Both teams were in the same, cramped room Saturday for The Associated Press national Player (Breanna Stewart) and Coach (McGraw) of the Year presentation. McGraw was captured on video not clapping when Stewart accepted her award.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I believe that the players would respect another player receiving an award by clapping. To have the whole team, along with the coach, show the same disrespect to another college athlete seems out of the realm of likelihood. If there were 10 players and coach and each was 50% likely to be disrespectful to Breanna then the odds of all 11 people being disrespectful at the same time is 8191 to 1. Interestingly enough, the less likely they are to be disrespectful, the more likely there would be some type of organized event to be disrespectful. So, probability wise it seems likely there was some planning involved.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I believe that the players would respect another player receiving an award by clapping. To have the whole team, along with the coach, show the same disrespect to another college athlete seems out of the realm of likelihood. If there were 10 players and coach and each was 50% likely to be disrespectful to Breanna then the odds of all 11 people being disrespectful at the same time is 8191 to 1. Interestingly enough, the less likely they are to be disrespectful, the more likely there would be some type of organized event to be disrespectful. So, probability wise it seems likely there was some planning involved.
How do you know they didn't clap? I can't get anyone to confirm or deny what happened.

On edit: Don't bother answering. I don't want to get into this any more.

b1d.png

Reaction Score
I don't blame MM for the way she is. How did we feel, as fans, when ND was beating UCONN for those few years. Imagine what it must be like getting your butts kicked for decades and when you finally are undefeated and possibly playing for an NC you go to a press conference and the first question they ask you is about Geno.

45 TO GO
Think of ANY other coach in any college or professional sport who acted as

I started the original thread and I am also kinda surprised its still alive. Not much going on in the off-season?;)

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There were numerous quotes and comments in the media including the Boston Globe about what occurred at the awards. "When Stewart received her player of the year award over Notre Dame’s Kayla McBride, Notre Dame coach Muffet McGraw didn’t clap." DD's are just a couple among many. It was not an imagined occurrence but recognized by those present. It is wrong to state it didn't happen given the evidence of those present.

LINK

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's he, for the record. d thank you, DD.

If McGraw really did do that, then I think that is inappropriate and classless behavior. My observation is that such behavior would be atypical of the way she behaves on the whole. I would regard it as an embarrassing moment for someone who typically behaves to a standard more becoming of her position.

Even as an opposing fan, I think Stewart seems like a really nice young lady. Whatever quarrels Muffet and Geno may have, there's no reason for Stewart to get caught in the crossfire.
Jim Fuller posted a video clip showing MM with her head down and not clapping. I felt it was poor sportsmanship especially coming from a coach. Stewie was asked what she thought about MM not clapping for her and she said something along the lines that she appreciated the people that were there to support her.. she did not engage or respond directly about coach M. No matter what we think of MM response to Stewie winning player of the year, you can't take away that shes a great coach. Here is a quote which could shine some light on why she didn't clap... she wanted McBride to win..

Both teams were in the same, cramped room Saturday for The Associated Press national Player (Breanna Stewart) and Coach (McGraw) of the Year presentation. McGraw was captured on video not clapping when Stewart accepted her award.

“Yeah, I think there was definitely tension in the room,’’ McGraw said. “I think, for us, we wanted Kayla McBride to win the Player of the Year award. So I think it was a little bit of that. And certainly the rivalry has gone a little away from the civility it was when we were in the league together.’’

EDIT: I dont think MM told her players not to clap etc.. I believe it was just a reaction when her player didn't get it.. We are all human..

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I just watched that Tout from Jim Fuller. McGraw is on camera for about 3 seconds and we don't hear the announcement, so she may have clapped beforehand. Niele Ivey is very clearly clapping and several players seated behind the coaches are clapping. The video goes a little too fast too pick out which ones, but you can see hands moving.

If Muffet told her players and coaches not to clap, they didn't listen very well.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I just watched that Tout from Jim Fuller. McGraw is on camera for about 3 seconds and we don't hear the announcement, so she may have clapped beforehand. Niele Ivey is very clearly clapping and several players seated behind the coaches are clapping. The video goes a little too fast too pick out which ones, but you can see hands moving.

If Muffet told her players and coaches not to clap, they didn't listen very well.

It was clear there was something going on. And I'll post MM's own words.

McGraw also noted the tension in a crowded room at Bridgewater Arena over the weekend when their teams showed up to support the winners of The Associated Press awards for coach of the year -- McGraw -- and player of the year, Huskies sophomore Breanna Stewart.

"I think there was definite tension in the room," McGraw said. "I think, for us, we wanted Kayla McBride to win the player of the year award. So, I think it was a little bit of that."

Clapping or not, their behavior because McBride didn't win was an insult to Stewart.

Reaction Score
If Muffet really believed that McBride was going to win player of the year over Stewie, Ogwumike, or Sims, then she should report to a drug testing facility ASAP. Sounds like a cover story, and a poor one at that.

Reaction Score
Jim Fuller posted a video clip showing MM with her head down and not clapping. I felt it was poor sportsmanship especially coming from a coach. Stewie was asked what she thought about MM not clapping for her and she said something along the lines that she appreciated the people that were there to support her.. she did not engage or respond directly about coach M. No matter what we think of MM response to Stewie winning player of the year, you can't take away that shes a great coach. Here is a quote which could shine some light on why she didn't clap... she wanted McBride to win..

“Yeah, I think there was definitely tension in the room,’’ McGraw said. “I think, for us, we wanted Kayla McBride to win the Player of the Year award. So I think it was a little bit of that. And certainly the rivalry has gone a little away from the civility it was when we were in the league together.’’

EDIT: I dont think MM told her players not to clap etc.. I believe it was just a reaction when her player didn't get it.. We are all human..
I could understand her coach and her teammates wanting McBride to win but were they that oblivious or out of touch that they didn't know that she was a dark horse, at best, for it? She had a chance but it was fairly remote. Even if Breanna hadn't won it, it very likely would have been Chiney who did so they should have been prepared. Not acknowledging the winner, whoever it is, is just poor sportsmanship. They didn't have to give her a standing ovation or be OVERTLY enthusiastic but to do NOTHING speaks volumes about the mindset that their coach instilled in the team. If I were the AD at Notre Dame or the President, I would have been upset at the Coach and teams lack of class.

Reaction Score
Wondering if I had a post kicked off of this thread. Could be I never hit "Post Reply." But I am quite sure I wrote a post which seemed to tit this thread, though I can't say for sure which thread contained it. In its essence, it talked about lustily singing the Canadian National Anthem at Whaler's games (though I am US born and bred) and about the value of patriotism and symbols to a society. IF it got kicked off, I'd like to know by whom and on what grounds. Thank you.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Losing Niele Ivey will have an infinitely more negative effect on ND recruiting....
Ivey was the only representative from Notre Dame that clapped at the ceremony!!!!
I don't know if that was common knowledge on the board!

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Muffet made additional comments about Geno in the locker room after the press conference. From Mechelle Voepel's article:

" She was such a classy coach and, unfortunately, the game and sportsmanship lost a lot when we lost her."
Pat Summitt unilaterally terminated the most watched rivalry in WCBB, and submitted a list of 11 complaints about Geno and UConn to the NCAA, all of which were dismissed. Personally, I would like to hear Muffet explain how that is "classy" and exhibits "sportsmanship."

P.S. Yes, I'm not sure it was 11 complaints, and one minor infraction was upheld (with no penalty imposed), but I was too lazy to look it up, and it's not really important to my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom