Will MM's behavior at the Final Four hurt ND recruiting? | The Boneyard

Will MM's behavior at the Final Four hurt ND recruiting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Quite a bit was made of MM behavior at the Final Four ( not applauding for Stewie, claiming Geno has no class, etc.). As all will remember the commentators addressed it during the game, specifically coming to Geno's defense (as if he needs any or cares what MM said) regarding the issue of how much class he has. I'm just wondering how much her antics might hurt her recruiting. Obviously all the good high school players were watching the tournament; do people think it negatively impacted her image among potential recruits? I know if my daughter was in such a position I would have brought the issue up to her. I thought her behavior was vengeful, full of jealousy and envy. So, will it effect her recruiting?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
She reportedly said all the right things after the game, so it appears to have been mostly badly performed and thought out gamesmanship. I thought she looked a bit foolish, but I don't think it will matter to anyone except UConn fans.

Now, had she continued that type of nonsense after the game, I think she would have turned off fans of many programs and possibly there could have been a recruit impact.

At the same time, I am shocked that she was so heavy-handed and made herself look so poorly. But I don't really think any lasting consequences.

Reaction Score
Let's see... Muffet arranges for her whole team to occupy the front row and give Stewie the silent treatment. Meanwhile, Geno has his team stay on the court and applaud their opponents when they're on the road during someone else's senior night because he wants his kids to respect the game and their opponents. And Geno's the one that lacks class? :rolleyes:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No...but clearly she lost the high road in coaching. Orchestrating a team silence for a POY award will stick like glue, as it should.

And smearing Geno.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
She was playing a script I can't believe she wrote and doing it very very poorly. I hope she has the sense to cut it out; I think she does and learned a lesson.

HGN

Reaction Score
No, it will not hurt ND recruiting one bit. I truly think that most recruits paid little to no attention to it....All they saw was that she was named Coach of The Year and its ND.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
....All they saw was that she was named Coach of The Year and its ND.
They also saw the individual awarded Coach of the Year receive a coaching clinic from the Coach of the Decade! ;)

Make that Coach of the (last quarter) Century! :)

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Losing Niele Ivey will have an infinitely more negative effect on ND recruiting....
Did I miss something? Been off the waves for a while, trying to recoup my lost work time!

HGN

Reaction Score
They also saw the individual awarded Coach of the Year receive a coaching clinic from the Coach of the Decade! ;)

Make that Coach of the (last quarter) Century! :)
Good point............And what a clinic it was.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
As all will remember the commentators addressed it during the game, specifically coming to Geno's defense (as if he needs any or cares what MM said) regarding the issue of how much class he has. ?

I don't think any of us can really know how Auriemma would feel about what happened. Given that they once had a good relationship, at least to outward appearances, I think what MM did might have stung. Now, if Auriemma was in fact someone without class, then I think it more likely that he wouldn't care very much.

And in response to your question, which is an interesting one, I agree with the majority of other posters - I don't think it's going to impact her recruiting success at all.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I don't think Coach McGraw not clapping for Stewart made much news outside of the blogosphere and message boards. What was well publicized was the press conference comments, which basically boiled down to Muffet and Geno both saying they didn't really like each other. How you view their little spat is matter of perspective. It's quite literally he said, she said.

I think winning national coach of the year and making a 4th straight final four will help recruiting for ND much more than a few press conference comments will hurt it. Plus, it seems like Coach Ivey will be around for at least one more year.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I don't think Coach McGraw not clapping for Stewart made much news outside of the blogosphere and message boards. What was well publicized was the press conference comments, which basically boiled down to Muffet and Geno both saying they didn't really like each other. How you view their little spat is matter of perspective. It's quite literally he said, she said.

I think winning national coach of the year and making a 4th straight final four will help recruiting for ND much more than a few press conference comments will hurt it. Plus, it seems like Coach Ivey will be around for at least one more year.

You apparently did not watch the NC game, or listen to the comments by Burke. McGraw was called out on national TV...just the way it is.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I often watch games with the sound muted. In this case, I did hear Burke's comments but I don't recall the subject of them. I don't think it was "Clapgate", was it?

I don't think Doris Burke's opinion means very much to recruits.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
In addition to "Clapgate", I found disturbing the fact that the ONLY player on either team who did not have their hand on their heart during the playing of the National Anthem was ND's Natalie Achonwa. And it wasn't because she wasn't in "uniform" -- neither was UConn's Morgan Tuck, who did have her hand on her heart.

Achonwa is a citizen of Canada.

Reaction Score
In addition to "Clapgate", I found disturbing the fact that the ONLY player on either team who did not have their hand on their heart during the playing of the National Anthem was ND's Natalie Achonwa. And it wasn't because she wasn't in "uniform" -- neither was UConn's Morgan Tuck, who did have her hand on her heart.
Why is that a big deal? The last time I put my hand on my heart was when I was in 2nd grade and we did the pledge of allegiance. Plus she's Canadian anyway what does she care about the national anthem? Plus Geno was making faces into the camera during the national anthem, so what does that say about him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom