Will MM's behavior at the Final Four hurt ND recruiting? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Will MM's behavior at the Final Four hurt ND recruiting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I don't think Coach McGraw not clapping for Stewart made much news outside of the blogosphere and message boards.
Which is where the majority of wcbb fans and players go for the latest info and insights. That, and what Ozzie already pointed out about what transpired on nat'l TV.

I think winning national coach of the year and making a 4th straight final four will help recruiting for ND much more than a few press conference comments will hurt it.
Winning COY is no small matter and MM had a great year, but it's an individual award. Going to the the FF four years in a row and coming away empty, puts a team right up there and next to teams like the Buffalo Bills - in the pantheon of forgettable 2nd place finishers.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
In addition to "Clapgate", I found disturbing the fact that the ONLY player on either team who did not have their hand on their heart during the playing of the National Anthem was ND's Natalie Achonwa. And it wasn't because she wasn't in "uniform" -- neither was UConn's Morgan Tuck, who did have her hand on her heart.
She is not a US citizen and it would have been inappropriate for her to so.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain HOW this would happen ? Because I'm pretty sure there is only one way - if Geno uses her behavior as a negative recruiting tool, and I just don't believe for a second that 1) he would do that, let alone, 2) needs to do that.

And if you don't rely on Geno using this as a negative recruiting tool, how is a recruit supposed to use this information in their decision making ? Because I have an even harder time believing that recruits know or care about what took place at the POY ceremony or the Final Four press conferences.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Which is where the majority of wcbb fans and players go for the latest info and insights. That, and what Ozzie already pointed out about what transpired on nat'l TV.

Winning COY is no small matter and MM had a great year, but it's an individual award. Going to the the FF four years in a row and coming away empty, puts a team right up there and next to teams like the Buffalo Bills - in the pantheon of forgettable 2nd place finishers.

I somewhat doubt that recruits visit discussion boards frequently, but I could easily be wrong. "ClapGate" was reported in the press, but only the New England press. At the risk of sounding a little flippant, it's only a big deal to UConn fans, in my opinion.

Clearly it's better to get to the final four and lose than not get there at all. The only team that has performed better over the last 5 years is UConn. Perhaps Texas A&M and Baylor if you want to say winning one title outweighs ND's consistent performance. For recruits that prioritize competing for championships, Notre Dame will be high on the list.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
For recruits that prioritize competing for championships, Notre Dame will be high on the list.
No doubt. And for recruits expecting to win championships, UConn will be the only school on their list. :cool:

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I somewhat doubt that recruits visit discussion boards frequently, but I could easily be wrong. "ClapGate" was reported in the press, but only the New England press. At the risk of sounding a little flippant, it's only a big deal to UConn fans, in my opinion.

Clearly it's better to get to the final four and lose than not get there at all. The only team that has performed better over the last 5 years is UConn. Perhaps Texas A&M and Baylor if you want to say winning one title outweighs ND's consistent performance. For recruits that prioritize competing for championships, Notre Dame will be high on the list.

ND should be, and is, high on the recruiting list.

McGraw, in teaching her athletes to belittle one of their competitors, is another case. I can assure all, that McBride would receive a standing ovation from Geno, his team, and The BoneYard for any award. She drove us crazy with her person and talent.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
No doubt. And for recruits expecting to win championships, UConn will be the only school on their list. :cool:

Thankfully for the competition, UConn only has 15 scholarships and are forced to leave some talent for the other teams.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Thankfully for the competition, UConn only has 15 scholarships and are forced to leave some talent for the other teams.

This year UCONN used only 9 scholarships, played 6 in NC competition. You really should watch them play basketball.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
15, we rarely use more than 12. Maybe 13. This year we had 11 when including the two walk ons.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
This year UCONN used only 9 scholarships, played 6 in NC competition. You really should watch them play basketball.

Yes, my post was a joke. The point of which was that not every kid who wants to win a national championship will have the option of choosing UConn. Which is good for other schools, because UConn is the obvious choice for recruits who want to win championships.

Reaction Score
I do not agree that the question raised in the OP is ridiculous. I don't know the answer. The consensus here seems to be that no way will this hurt Muffet's recruiting nor her reputation. I'm not so sure. It certainly showed her in a bad light, and some families may see her program as having less class than they'd thought. She organized her players to demean Brianna's award by occupying the front row and keeping silent. Would I want to send my daughter to a program that teaches bad sportsmanship? NO WAY!! Were I a ND grad or fan, I'd feel the same way about it that I felt when my alma mater, UNC, was found cheating their athletes of a real education: Deeply embarrassed. If nobody cares about sportsmanship, something has been lost.

Reaction Score
Why is that a big deal? The last time I put my hand on my heart was when I was in 2nd grade and we did the pledge of allegiance. Plus she's Canadian anyway what does she care about the national anthem? Plus Geno was making faces into the camera during the national anthem, so what does that say about him?

Its a sign of respect for another countries National Anthem!

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is still Notre Dame so will get their share of recruits. Muffet may have turned off more parents of future recruits than the recruits themselves and that might be the future problem if there is one. As for Geno I kind of think he likes having a 9 or 10 player team of top players and not really in love with a large roster of great players where by the sheer numbers there will be some unhappy ones as there is only so many minutes that can be given out.

Reaction Score
Count me among the "no big deal" crowd. I can't believe any recruit is going to
care if Muffet got a little snarky toward another coach.

Yes, Muffet ended up with a little egg McMuffin on her face, but if she doesn't
make a habit of it, it will soon be forgotten by everyone who isn't a UConn fan.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Its a sign of respect for another countries National Anthem!
She stood, which is a sign of respect. This is standard for all multi-national events including Olympics NHL, NFL, and MLB

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
She stood, which is a sign of respect. This is standard for all multi-national events including Olympics NHL, NFL, and MLB

I'm guessing connboy is suggesting that he, and everyone else, should put their hands on their hearts for the Canadian, Russian, Iranian, Libyan, French etc. etc. anthem ??? Must be grumpy at a TON of folks, including UConn players :)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In a media besotted society in which manners are actually a stumbling block on the way to what we call "celebrity" MM's public display of childish petulance at the NPOY award was seen as a plus by ESPN "analysts" as increasing casual fan interest.

Reaction Score
Count me among the "no big deal" crowd. I can't believe any recruit is going to
care if Muffet got a little snarky toward another coach.

Not to mention the fact that some teenage girls can get a little snarky with each other, their parents, etc.

I don't think any recruit who is considering ND would change their mind over this little brew-ha-ha. And recruits who are not considering ND probably don't think about it at all.

I bet there was a fair amount of fans of other teams that applauded Muffett's comments and snub of Stewie. All depends on whether you are wearing the blue colored glasses or not.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Can someone explain HOW this would happen ? Because I'm pretty sure there is only one way - if Geno uses her behavior as a negative recruiting tool, and I just don't believe for a second that 1) he would do that, let alone, 2) needs to do that.

And if you don't rely on Geno using this as a negative recruiting tool, how is a recruit supposed to use this information in their decision making ? Because I have an even harder time believing that recruits know or care about what took place at the POY ceremony or the Final Four press conferences.

You think they don't watch?

Reaction Score
If I was the parent of a recruit I would look at the behaviors of the coaches and take that into consideration. MM was negative and rude. She attacked Geno and his character. That is major bad mojo! Geno did not attack back, he took the high road. Doris Burke, Kara Lawson, Rebecca Lobo, et al fought back on Geno's defense. Is it Mike Patrick who was with Doris... how when the game was in the bag they spent the last ten minutes or so talking about what a good person Geno is and how he is the best coach in America... that never hurts.

But if I were a parent of a child being recruited... and I saw that, and I saw the flopping... I would encourage my child to go somewhere where they would receive 1.) a quality education 2.) develop their basketball skills, 3.) develop into better human beings with class and dignity. 4.) To be part of something that will last a life time.

I would go Geno over Muffet any day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99