Will MM's behavior at the Final Four hurt ND recruiting? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Will MM's behavior at the Final Four hurt ND recruiting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
kids dont always see things the same way mature adults do... some may see it as "Muffett is a bad b****".

when you get 50, 60, 70, 80 yrs old you see thing a little differently

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
If I was the parent of a recruit I would look at the behaviors of the coaches and take that into consideration. MM was negative and rude. She attacked Geno and his character. That is major bad mojo! Geno did not attack back, he took the high road. Doris Burke, Kara Lawson, Rebecca Lobo, et al fought back on Geno's defense. Is it Mike Patrick who was with Doris... how when the game was in the bag they spent the last ten minutes or so talking about what a good person Geno is and how he is the best coach in America... that never hurts.

But if I were a parent of a child being recruited... and I saw that, and I saw the flopping... I would encourage my child to go somewhere where they would receive 1.) a quality education 2.) develop their basketball skills, 3.) develop into better human beings with class and dignity. 4.) To be part of something that will last a life time.

I would go Geno over Muffet any day!
thanks for the paragraphs but buddy you're not going to change the opinion of those who think its no big deal.

I think Muffet players, parents and fan with go with MM over Geno any day, it is what it is. some think that situation holds no weight at all... I guess time will tell when I player goes elsewhere and hold a ESPN press conference saying "I chose UConn over ND because the ND coach didnt clap for a former UConn player. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm still struggling to understand why Muffet went off like she did at the FF. She was clearly angry when she arrived in Nashville and seemed determined to let loose on Geno while there. Some have suggested that Geno's "fib during lent" comment pushed her over the edge. Maybe, but what did she expect him to say after, again, accusing UConn of "ducking" Notre Dame? She knew that wasn't true when she said it. Is there something else going on? Recruiting? She and Geno are going after a lot of the same kids. Was she trying to gain an advantage by saying Geno lacks civility and class?

Geno was on the Dan Lebat- ard radio show yesterday and was asked whether he took extra pleasure in beating ND after McGraw's comments. Geno said Muffet said some "dumb" stuff leading up to the game but the desire to win a NC doesn't change with the opponent. I think Geno fibbed just a little bit with that answer.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
At the risk of sounding a little flippant, it's only a big deal to UConn fans, in my opinion.

I don't think not clapping is a big deal to UConn fans either. The deal is her being so petty while criticizing Geno for a lack of "class" out of the other side of her mouth.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I don't think not clapping is a big deal to UConn fans either. The deal is her being so petty while criticizing Geno for a lack of "class" out of the other side of her mouth.

The quote was "certainly the rivalry has gone a little away from the civility it was when we were in the league together." Then when asked what it would take to restore civility she said "I think we're past that point."

The word class was not used. At least not in that final four press conference

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The quote was "certainly the rivalry has gone a little away from the civility it was when we were in the league together." Then when asked what it would take to restore civility she said "I think we're past that point."

The word class was not used. At least not in that final four press conference

So when Doris Burke took MM to task (on air during the NC game) about her comments concerning Geno's class she was just making it up?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
So when Doris Burke took MM to task (on air during the NC game) about her comments concerning Geno's class she was just making it up?

I have no idea. I didn't remember myself, so I had to check a transcript of the Final Four press conference. She may have said it in another interview.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

Or maybe Doris Burke interpreted the "civility" comment as referring to "class." It is certainly within the realm of a reasonable interpretation, from a listener's perspective.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Yet you still didn't let that stop you from calling me out. No big deal.

My comments are strictly limited to the Final Four press conference in which she made the comments about civility. What Doris Burke was referring to when she made her comments, I do not know.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I have no idea. I didn't remember myself, so I had to check a transcript of the Final Four press conference. She may have said it in another interview.

Muffet made additional comments about Geno in the locker room after the press conference. From Mechelle Voepel's article:

"I think that the entire Tennessee nation will be on our side," McGraw said when asked who Lady Vols fans in attendance will root for. "There are a lot of people who want to see us win just to preserve Pat's legacy now. I think all women's coaches really respect her and looked up to her, because they knew when she spoke, it was about what was good for the women's game. She role-modeled how to be gracious in victory, as well as defeat. She was such a classy coach and, unfortunately, the game and sportsmanship lost a lot when we lost her."

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I believe that recruits will use this in deciding where to go as much as they use the weak conference when looking at UCONN. It's not in the top 10.

Both are factors, but insignificant ones.

I would like to tell Orangutan that he/she is doing a great job defending McGraw without being too annoying. Well done. It's not easy when you have posters like me giving you a hard time...lol.

I would ask on question of her/him. If McGraw really did have her players sit in the front row and not clap for Stewart on purpose, how do you feel about it? You seem to be ok with it.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I believe that recruits will use this in deciding where to go as much as they use the weak conference when looking at UCONN. It's not in the top 10.

Both are factors, but insignificant ones.

I would like to tell Orangutan that he/she is doing a great job defending McGraw without being too annoying. Well done. It's not easy when you have posters like me giving you a hard time...lol.

I would ask on question of her/him. If McGraw really did have her players sit in the front row and not clap for Stewart on purpose, how do you feel about it? You seem to be ok with it.

It's he, for the record. And thank you, DD.

If McGraw really did do that, then I think that is inappropriate and classless behavior. My observation is that such behavior would be atypical of the way she behaves on the whole. I would regard it as an embarrassing moment for someone who typically behaves to a standard more becoming of her position.

Even as an opposing fan, I think Stewart seems like a really nice young lady. Whatever quarrels Muffet and Geno may have, there's no reason for Stewart to get caught in the crossfire.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
It's he, for the record. And thank you, DD.

If McGraw really did do that, then I think that is inappropriate and classless behavior. My observation is that such behavior would be atypical of the way she behaves on the whole. I would regard it as an embarrassing moment for someone who typically behaves to a standard more becoming of her position.

Even as an opposing fan, I think Stewart seems like a really nice young lady. Whatever quarrels Muffet and Geno may have, there's no reason for Stewart to get caught in the crossfire.

Based on the video I saw, her players were in the front row and along with McGraw did not clap and were stone faced. Hard to believe that wasn't planned in some way.

Reaction Score
I would think MM reaction during the NC game would have more negative effect. Watch the game at about the 7 minute +/- of second half. Right after an nd player throws the ball away. MM just turns to her coaches, throws up her hands and acts like what is wrong with her players. Notice Lindsay Allen. What must she be thinking?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Muffet made additional comments about Geno in the locker room after the press conference. From Mechelle Voepel's article:

"I think that the entire Tennessee nation will be on our side," McGraw said when asked who Lady Vols fans in attendance will root for. "There are a lot of people who want to see us win just to preserve Pat's legacy now. I think all women's coaches really respect her and looked up to her, because they knew when she spoke, it was about what was good for the women's game. She role-modeled how to be gracious in victory, as well as defeat. She was such a classy coach and, unfortunately, the game and sportsmanship lost a lot when we lost her."
Where is the dig at Geno in this?? Or was there more to the quote? It is something nice to say about Pat, although, RU fans were a little taken aback by Pat's "sportsmanship" regarding clock-gate. OTH, I remember when she stopped to see an injured RU player on her way either on or off the court at halftime, which actually was nice.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Where is the dig at Geno in this?? Or was there more to the quote? It is something nice to say about Pat, although, RU fans were a little taken aback by Pat's "sportsmanship" regarding clock-gate. OTH, I remember when she stopped to see an injured RU player on her way either on or off the court at halftime, which actually was nice.

Mechelle and everyone else within earshot understood that McGraw's words were directed squarely at Geno. In other words, Geno, now the coach with the most championships, is not classy and lacks sportsmanship. It was this comment that Doris Burke and Dave O'Brien responded to at the end of the game.

Reaction Score
I would think MM reaction during the NC game would have more negative effect. Watch the game at about the 7 minute +/- of second half. Right after an nd player throws the ball away. MM just turns to her coaches, throws up her hands and acts like what is wrong with her players. Notice Lindsay Allen. What must she be thinking?

. . . and when UConn players do something wrong Geno is the very model
of composure on the sidelines. :rolleyes:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Mechelle and everyone else within earshot understood that McGraw's words were directed squarely at Geno. In other words, Geno, now the coach with the most championships, is not classy and lacks sportsmanship. It was this comment that Doris Burke and Dave O'Brien responded to at the end of the game.
Ok. Guess you had to be there, which they were.

Like others say, this sort of thing is a UConn thingy - most non-UConn fans like to think that someone with McGraw's record would never be a big enough ass to mean what others took the remark as. OTH, she was clearly trying to play a Geno head game at the FF, and she lost the battle and the war.

Reaction Score
. . . and when UConn players do something wrong Geno is the very model
of composure on the sidelines. :rolleyes:
It wasn't that she showed frustration with how her players were playing, it was that she acted so clueless as to what to do about it. How can that instill confidence in players?

Reaction Score
I have always valued integrity. With her antics prior to the FF, Muffett displayed none at all. I had thought that she was above that, but I guess that one gets tired of getting ones butt kicked when it really counts. She knows that she missed her window last year, and her display this year was a feeble attempt to convince her team that they had a chance against one of the best UConn teams inhistory.
In answer to the OP question, if I'm a parent of a top HS player, then that does enter into the conversation...

Reaction Score
She is not a US citizen and it would have been inappropriate for her to so.
I would have to disagree with you on this one. I think that it would have shown respect. When major league teams are playing a Canadian team inwhatever sport, both anthems are played, and the players show proper respect during both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom