What is our biggest key to success this year? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What is our biggest key to success this year?

What is the biggest key to success this year?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HGN

Reaction Score
I voted 'Other'.......I think our Quality Depth is going to be the Key To Success for the coming season. With the likes of a Butler , Gabby , Chong , Collier , KLS , etc. potentially coming off the bench , the team can better weather foul trouble , injuries , or bad games by the starters.

The team is as deep as any over the last 5 years.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ok, you guys have me convinced that my expectations for Natalie MAY be immoderate. But I do expect her to be an outstanding rebounder, however that is quantified. I accepted the idea(above) that there may be fewer offensive boards available, because the team will shoot 50% or higher. On the other hand, if the opponents shoot close to 30%, there will be MORE defensive rebounds to go around than there were at Georgetown 2 years ago.

In terms of other keys, I think the frosh may be huge. Some newbies impact games right away and some take a year or two to learn. I think that Napheesa, based largely on her motor and versatility, and Lou, based on her shot, will be impact players early on.

If Stewie, Moriah, and Morgan are actually better than last year, well, playing 5 on 5 just won't be fair. :)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
All great comments.

I see three things that are needed for success:
Team chemistry - even though 4 out of 5 starters return, this is a new team and will take some time to gell.
Health - no major injuries to our starting 5
Starting 5 - Stewie, Morgan, MoJeff, Kia and Butler. Yes, at 6' 5" with rebounding prowess, Natalie starts. Also, Natalie has had a year of practice with the team. This will allow her to integrate into the starting line-up quicker than the frosh. She knows the system.

Our depth is going to be scary for opponents. Geno could play many games like ice hockey - do an entire line change!

Reaction Score
I don't get no respect; only five votes for Gabby. Geno did say she was a game changer at least in one game.;)
I should have entitled the thread "Who" instead of "What".

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ok, you guys have me convinced that my expectations for Natalie MAY be immoderate.
Well you're not the only one. There are a few on here that expect her to be the next coming of Charles or Dolson. That's putting some pretty damn high expectations on her. If she is, fantastic. But if she ends up being the next JMoore, I'd be very, very happy.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Well you're not the only one. There are a few on here that expect her to be the next coming of Charles or Dolson. That's putting some pretty damn high expectations on her. If she is, fantastic. But if she ends up being the next JMoore, I'd be very, very happy.
I think Natalie will be roughly like Stef in her first 2 years, not the AA Stef of her last 2 years. I think that Stef was a better passer and shooter, but Natalie is a better rebounder. Overall, I think she can be as effective as Jess.

Reaction Score
IMO I see Butler being a better player than Dolson was her soph. year.She has had a year of playing against 2 of the best players in the country.This is her second year in the system and knows what is expected of her.Stokes would have played a lot more minutes if she had an offensive game.That was her fault!KLS and Collier will have better years than Nurse did this year!I still think Eckmark has the biggest improvement of the returning players!

Reaction Score
I vote "other" .... because i think our overall success depends on large part on how improved other programs are..... I do not think we are going to slip at all....what i mean is..... dawn, muffet, holly..... etc... who will bring their team to the brink..... they all have been pretenders for a long time.....

as for focus on us..... well, i think we will do the same stellar job we always have done

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Stokes would have played a lot more minutes if she had an offensive game.That was her fault!
So under this theory (Stokes would have played more) who would have played less? Is it the two time POY (Stewie) or the player (Tuck) who once inserted into the starting line up brought the UCONN offense and defense to undefeated level of efficiency and should have been an AA?
Really it is Kiah fault she didn't play more? Maybe we should have asked Morgan and Stewie to be below average to get Kiah more time on the court!

Reaction Score
So under this theory (Stokes would have played more) who would have played less? Is it the two time POY (Stewie) or the player (Tuck) who once inserted into the starting line up brought the UCONN offense and defense to undefeated level of efficiency and should have been an AA?
Really it is Kiah fault she didn't play more? Maybe we should have asked Morgan and Stewie to be below average to get Kiah more time on the court!
What kind of sense does that make? The best players command more minutes forcing the others into less minutes. Such is the cold hard fact of sport [and most everything else].

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What kind of sense does that make? The best players command more minutes forcing the others into less minutes. Such is the cold hard fact of sport [and most everything else].
It would make no sense at all- That was my point. A point made in response to a post by cbraarj.

Reaction Score
Why was she taken out of starting line up.Not her defense because of her offense.If She had an offensive game that was consistent.I see them playing a bigger team more often.We are talking 5 to 10 minutes a game with Nurse losing some and Gabby and Chong losing time!Does it make sense for you to even put Stewie or Tuck in this conversation!I don't think so!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Why was she taken out of starting line up.Not her defense because of her offense.If She had an offensive game that was consistent.I see them playing a bigger team more often.We are talking 5 to 10 minutes a game with Nurse losing some and Gabby and Chong losing time!Does it make sense for you to even put Stewie or Tuck in this conversation!I don't think so!
Q: Why was she taken out of starting line up?
A: Because UCONN had a better player in Morgan Tuck at that position.
Q: Does it make sense for you to even put Stewie or Tuck in this conversation?
A: Actually it does, because Kiah played the Center and Forward position same as Morgan & Stewie & Gabby. Taking minutes away from Nurse and Chong is not going to make more minutes available for Kiah, You are pulling my leg right, do you think Kiah is a guard?

Reaction Score
Q: Why was she taken out of starting line up?
A: Because UCONN had a better player in Morgan Tuck at that position.
Q: Does it make sense for you to even put Stewie or Tuck in this conversation?
A: Actually it does, because Kiah played the Center and Forward position same as Morgan & Stewie & Gabby. Taking minutes away from Nurse and Chong is not going to make more minutes available for Kiah, You are pulling my leg right, do you think Kiah is a guard?
MLK moves to the 2 with Stewie the 3 and Tuck the 4.Next are you going to say that I would have Kiah playing point Moriah in the post.The game against Stanford they played 5 on 4.No offense from Stokes and no defense from Chong!Morganin for Chong with big lineup.ESPN had MLK top 2 and top 3 in country in preview of the 2013-14 season!2 means sg and 3 means sf.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
We are talking 5 to 10 minutes a game with Nurse losing some and Gabby and Chong losing time!

For this team's success over the next three years Gabby Williams needs to see more time, not less. She barely played against the better competition, but I believe Geno was piecemealing her progress and wants her to play a bigger role going forward. He reserves pretty special praise for her ability so I don't see her getting held back to -15 minutes. Nurse shouldn't lose minutes either. This team was best when it went with a non-center lineup and crushed teams with high pace, high efficiency offense. With an improving Williams and the additions of KLS and Collier they'll have even more weapons for that style.

Reaction Score
MLK moves to the 2 with Stewie the 3 and Tuck the 4.Next are you going to say that I would have Kiah playing point Moriah in the post.The game against Stanford they played 5 on 4.No offense from Stokes and no defense from Chong!Morganin for Chong with big lineup.ESPN had MLK top 2 and top 3 in country in preview of the 2013-14 season!2 means sg and 3 means sf.
"I have a dream", that one day people will learn the difference between MLK, KML, and KLS.:p:rolleyes:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
holding-big-key-8748075.jpg

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
LOL. Who is MLK? When did UCONN give her a scholarship.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
LOL. Who is MLK? When did UCONN give her a scholarship.
Sadly, MLK was assassinated in 1968, and UConn didn't play its first game of organized women's basketball until 1974. Clearly a tragically missed opportunity.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
But UConn plays important games on MLK Day. In a less important context, Geno and CD showed up in Storrs, and THEY had a dream.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
"I have a dream", that one day people will learn the difference between MLK, KML, and KLS.:p:rolleyes:
Don't forget those who had a KLM playing for us too. ;)
klm-jpg.38

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01