What is our biggest key to success this year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What is our biggest key to success this year?

What is the biggest key to success this year?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The best player normally draws the most defensive attention. Butler will be surrounded by great players at UConn, and should get more minutes, and more shots than Stokes.

We'll see. There are only so minutes to go around and a ton of good players to take them. I don't see Butler being a bigger offensive option than at least 7 of her teammates.

Reaction Score
If the trio of Stewie, Moriah, and Morgan stay healthy, nothing else matters.

We don't need from Butler much more than we got from Kiah last year. I suppose we could benefit from KLS picking up some of the slack from the departed KML, but even that is more of a luxury than a necessity.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
In 36 minutes per game on a team where she was the best player. We're all seeing what Stokes could do with the reigns off a bit in the pros and she only averaged 4.5 points and 7 boards playing 18 minutes as a senior.

Ahem.

Reins ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
but if Natalie averages 10 and 10,
I still don't understand why people go there? You're not the only one Milford, some people had Stokes doing it last year. The last person to avg a double double was Lobo. Wolters didn't, Elliott didn't, Williams didn't, Jones didn't, Cash didn't, JMoore didn't, Charles didn't, MMoore didn't, Dolson didn't, Stokes didn't, Stewart didn't. So why in the world would anyone think Butler is going to (or might) be able to do that????

If Butler can get 7/7, that would be over the moon.

Reaction Score
As mentioned by many ...stay healthy and we win it all and probably undefeated. However, if one wish could be granted, I'd like to see Butler consistently hit the 15-18 footer. This would force the opposing center or a big forward to step out on defense which in turn gives Stewie and Tuck a chance to feast underneath. It also would open driving lanes for Kia and Mo.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Butler averaged 13.9 ppg and 13.4 rebs as a freshman. I do not think 10 ppg and 10 rebs 2 years later is far fetched
It is very far fetched. Very, very far fetched. Verging on insanity. See my post above.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Huskies don't miss a lot of shots, remember. She's not going to have the putback opportunities she had at G-Town.
True, but we'll miss 45% or more of our shots. G'town missed close to 58%. Not counting missed foul shots that were in play, we missed 29.7 shots per game last year. The Hoyas missed 34.3 in Natalie's frosh season. Fewer opportunities. On the other hand, if the defenses focus on Natalie instead of Stewie and Morgan, the latter two will eat them alive.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I still don't understand why people go there? You're not the only one Milford, some people had Stokes doing it last year. The last person to avg a double double was Lobo. Wolters didn't, Elliott didn't, Williams didn't, Jones didn't, Cash didn't, JMoore didn't, Charles didn't, MMoore didn't, Dolson didn't, Stokes didn't, Stewart didn't. So why in the world would anyone think Butler is going to (or might) be able to do that????

If Butler can get 7/7, that would be over the moon.
I think that Natalie MAY be one of the best rebounders we have ever had. My recollections of Rebecca, Kara, and Jamelle are a little fuzzy. I think Maya and Tina were outstanding rebounders, but Kiah was the best I have seen. Natalie is bigger than Kiah, and rebounding is her specialty. She was the leading freshman rebounder in the nation and #5 overall. If she is in shape and catches on to how Geno wants to do things, she will get major playing time. That may be a big IF, but if she does, she could challenge the single-season rebound record.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think that Natalie MAY be one of the best rebounders we have ever had.
Why would you think that?

My recollections of Rebecca, Kara, and Jamelle are a little fuzzy. I think Maya and Tina were outstanding rebounders, but Kiah was the best I have seen. Natalie is bigger than Kiah, and rebounding is her specialty. She was the leading freshman rebounder in the nation and #5 overall. If she is in shape and catches on to how Geno wants to do things, she will get major playing time. That may be a big IF, but if she does, she could challenge the single-season rebound record.

She was the leading Freshmen rebounder getting 36 mpg. She is not going to get anywhere near that at UCONN. Stewart only got 28 minutes a game last year. She may not even get that many this year. If Butler avg around 20 mpg (which would be more than Stokes, Williams or Chong got last year), again, over the moon.

I hope Butler does a good job for UCONN this year, but let's be realistic here.

Reaction Score
If Butler played 36 minutes per game, as she did at Georgetown, then she would average a double/double. But why would she play twice the mpg that Stokes (17.9 mpg) played last year ? I'll be generous. At 20 mpg, what will Butler's stats look like at UConn ?
In addition there will be 3 highly rated freshman frontcourt players to contend with for playing time. We lose 47 minutes of playing time between Stokes and KML. How would you divide those minutes among Butler, KLS, Collier and Boykin ? I think that it's probable that Butler will average less minutes per game this year than Stokes did last year.

Reaction Score
Butler and Stewart for that matter are completely capable of average double doubles for the year... practically zero chance of that happening though. Nether will play enough minutes per game to do so because of all the blow outs and the amount of talent on the team...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Why would you think that?

She was the leading Freshmen rebounder getting 36 mpg. She is not going to get anywhere near that at UCONN. Stewart only got 28 minutes a game last year. She may not even get that many this year. If Butler avg around 20 mpg (which would be more than Stokes, Williams or Chong got last year), again, over the moon.

I hope Butler does a good job for UCONN this year, but let's be realistic here.
Summer euphoria. :)

I think Natalie will be a starter and get 20+ minutes. I may be wrong, but she fills a void very nicely.

Why do I think that she'll be a good rebounder? Aside from her stats at Georgetown, she averaged nearly 20 boards in 32 minutes in high school. She's as big as Stef and has a better rebounding instinct. She's a hardworking, blue collar type. As Kiah focused on rebounds and blocks, look for Natalie to go after rebounds with passion.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ah, the heats getting to you. ;)

Why do I think that she'll be a good rebounder? Aside from her stats at Georgetown, she averaged nearly 20 boards in 32 minutes in high school. She's as big as Stef and has a better rebounding instinct. She's a hardworking, blue collar type. As Kiah focused on rebounds and blocks, look for Natalie to go after rebounds with passion.
I hope you are right. :cool:

Reaction Score
After Geno guaranteed a national championship in 2001 at the celebration of the 2000 championship, I would say that staying healthy is the biggest key, next would be for Kia to avoid sophomore slump as we saw how critical she was to the team after the loss to Stanford, and third is for someone else to step up as an offensive threat (Butler, KLS, Collier, Williams, Chong) to keep the other team playing honest defense. I think UConn could win it all if just Stewart, Tuck, and Jefferson are playing at their normal level with minimal support from the other players, but their chances increase greatly with improvements from the other veterans or quick development of the freshman. KML and Kiah were first round WNBA players and they must have had some impact on past successes.

Reaction Score

I think Natalie will be a starter and get 20+ minutes. I may be wrong, but she fills a void very nicely.

Milford - I generally agree with all your points. I think Butler will be a starter. Last year Nurse had the least minutes as a starter and averaged 25 minutes. All starters averaged 10 pts plus. So if Butler starts, the odds are good she will get her 10 pts. Rebounding --Myers7 made a good point that NO ONE since Lobo averaged a double-double. Last year, Stewie ave. rebounding was 7.7; Stokes was 6.6; and Tuck was 5.5. However, Gabby at 15 minutes a game averaged 8.3 pts and 5.7 rebounds. Seems like 10 rebounds ave. a game will be very difficult. Also, another poster mentioned that as the #1 shooting % team there are less offensive rebounds and last year UConn had 400 steals & 300 blocks which cuts rebounds down too. IMHO, Geno's starters are expected to hit 10 pts. a game (Butler) and I will give her 8 rebounds a game. (I think Tuck will be more of a high post and go in when necessary. Stewie will go in when the situation requires it too, but mostly be away from the basket.) Butler will be more of an Offensive Stokes who starts.

Reaction Score
As long as the players stay healthy, I don't see anyone defeating us in the tournament. I agree with D; Breanna is going to be elite, as well as Moriah and Morgan.

Reaction Score
If the trio of Stewie, Moriah, and Morgan stay healthy, nothing else matters.

We don't need from Butler much more than we got from Kiah last year. I suppose we could benefit from KLS picking up some of the slack from the departed KML, but even that is more of a luxury than a necessity.

Kiah-- first assuming 3 AAC teams are (along with Uconn) competitive) of the teams Uconn will be playing out of conference and considering only the numbers achieved during those games--in Big games (ND, USC, types) Kiah's rebounding was a big factor in the wins. I know you'll correct me but if memory serves me--in the ND game Kiah had 18 rebounds. Tx game she delivered too. Yes without Stewie, Tuck, Mo Jett the game would be lost----so discounting KIAH's contribution saying "we don't need much more from Butler than we got from Kiah" if we get anywhere near that from Butler it will be amazing and Uconn sweeps the brackets. Kiah was much more than many remember or choose to forget. Yet I don't believe the comment that (without mentioning Geno) Kiah was restricted in scoring, I think that was her way of protesting sometimes.

Reaction Score
Milford - I generally agree with all your points. I think Butler will be a starter. Last year Nurse had the least minutes as a starter and averaged 25 minutes. All starters averaged 10 pts plus. So if Butler starts, the odds are good she will get her 10 pts. Rebounding --Myers7 made a good point that NO ONE since Lobo averaged a double-double. Last year, Stewie ave. rebounding was 7.7; Stokes was 6.6; and Tuck was 5.5. However, Gabby at 15 minutes a game averaged 8.3 pts and 5.7 rebounds. Seems like 10 rebounds ave. a game will be very difficult. Also, another poster mentioned that as the #1 shooting % team there are less offensive rebounds and last year UConn had 400 steals & 300 blocks which cuts rebounds down too. IMHO, Geno's starters are expected to hit 10 pts. a game (Butler) and I will give her 8 rebounds a game. (I think Tuck will be more of a high post and go in when necessary. Stewie will go in when the situation requires it too, but mostly be away from the basket.) Butler will be more of an Offensive Stokes who starts.
Gabby will have to have learned a lot this summer--with big front lines she was stuffed. Her jumper, mid range, 3 ball and Freethrows were missing. Her defense was freshman like (unlike Kia). I like Gabby and Sanyia and Courtney I hope, even pray that these 3 plus 2 of the 3 incoming live up to the expectations. All three have good levels of intelligence and BB IQ--it's a matter of making what they know -what they do.

Reaction Score
I was speaking of the Stokes reign of terror on opposing defenses, obviously. :)
How to turn lemons into lemonade. Reins--aren't those the things the old timer drives used before self driving cars???

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Gabby will have to have learned a lot this summer--with big front lines she was stuffed. Her jumper, mid range, 3 ball and Freethrows were missing. Her defense was freshman like (unlike Kia).

You should watch the conference tourney final against South Florida where Geno put her on Courtney Williams in the second half and she completely shut her down.

Reaction Score
The thing I am looking forward to most this year is actually seeing Natalie Butler play. We have seen enough of Katie Lou and Napheesa to form an opinion on them, but there is more footage of bigfoot than there is of Natalie on the court.:rolleyes: I hope all the good things we hear about her in practice translate to the games.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom