"We're bulletproof" | Page 4 | The Boneyard

"We're bulletproof"

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Correct and doomed at the same time.

Reaction Score
This fanbase: "We're UConn, we're a blue blood, we should beat everyone and be in a sweet 16 at a minimum in an off year and expect a minimum of a final four/national title every four years."

Also, somehow, this fanbase: "DON'T SAY THAT WE'RE GOOD, COACH WHO HAS MADE US GOOD AND DELIVERED ON OUR EXPECTATIONS AFTER SAVING US FROM IRRELEVANCY!"

Are we blue blooded bullies or are we scrappy up and comers? The record/achievements the past 2 years would lean way more former than latter. I'd say whatever buttons Hurley wants to push have been proven to be the right ones to this point.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Coaches will use it for their bulletin boards, so he should have qualified it to last nights game. We are not bulletproof. We are damned good and still have things to work out 3 point shooting wise. I expect a big 3 game is coming.

Hurley is going full Mike Tyson with the intimidation and it seems to be working. Just don't give anyone hope by starting slow or disappearing for long stretches.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Two sides to every coin.

Opposition: Upside is we have not played our A game this tournament and opposing teams know it. When we play our best we’re unstoppable and opponents have seen that. So yes the statement will be used to motivate opponents but, depending on the character of opposition players, some will react with fear and some will take the statement and play better. It will create the same reaction like we are observing with individuals in this forum.

UConn: We have only three players with significant NCAA playing time under their belts. Alex is in a slump. Cam is off. Stephon and Jaylon are playing like freshman. Hass, Tristen and Samson are playing like they have all season long. Donovan is the only player who is playing better.

Sometimes coaches make statements to instill confidence within their own players. If I have to guess Dan’s underlying purpose for this contentious statement I would guess this is the primary reason for it.

He knows how it can be used by opponents. But he understands his players more and has concluded that one or more of them need to believe in themselves. A coach who is reflective, like Dan, a coach who is player oriented, like Dan, is focused on his players and his team’s needs.

If I’m correct he thinks one or more of them need to believe in themselves the way he believes in them. He wants one or more of them to know his demanding coaching and criticism of their play is intended to make them better players and not because they are poor players which certain players can mistakenly believe playing for a demanding coach.

This public statement, with the controversy it’s generating even among his own fans, demonstrates the power of words. The only individuals I’m sure Dan cares about regarding this statement are his own players.
So I listened to the postgame interview and from it have to add one more thing about "bulletproof". The statement was made initially to emphasize the coaching staff and their role in making UConn the team as great as it is. Dan is the consummate supporter of his players and coaches and his point was to help Kimani and Luke get head coaching jobs.

I suggest everyone listen to that postgame interview. Hurley is the entire package. He emphasizes NW was without two important players which helped in our dominance and the comeback was the result of the culture Collins coaches at NW. Genuine respect for the opponent.

He calls out the disrespect towards the BE again in the numbers of teams we got in the tournament by pointing out our teams play over the past two season and how the BE is doing in the tournament. BTW we set the record with seven straight games with double digits wins beating Stetson. We increased it with double digit win over NorthWest.

He's lobbying for Tristen to get into the NBA.

So many things he states in that interview that makes me proud I'm rooting for UConn and we have him as our coach. It's very sad that we need to focus on this. We are spending too much time being hypercritical of something he did that really should be construed as a positive.

Reaction Score
I like it, because he isn’t saying “we’ve got the best guys, we’re bulletproof” what he’s saying is, when we rebound like this, defend like this, run our sets like this and execute, we’re bulletproof and even the best team will need to be on their A game to have a shot
I concur. To me it is the same as the "You better get us now because we're coming" statement. It's meant to rally the troops, not slight the opponent.

Reaction Score
The truth is, that the best are the best because they are confident, right down to the core of their souls.

Dan's word usage yesterday is from the same ilk as the "You better get us now, because it's coming" genre he has used since becoming our coach. Anyone on here who was a fan of the NBA in the 80's and 90's knows that the two biggest trash talkers were... Larry Bird and Michael Jordan. And do you know why? Because they were two of the greatest players of all time, and they knew it. And they were going to make sure you knew it, too.

Dan has that same belief in himself, his coaching staff and this team. Period.

And anyone who thinks we are giving other team's "bulletin board material" at this point... if anyone still alive in this tournament needs that for extra motivation when they are already in the Sweet 16 and still alive with the chance to win the National Championship, then there is something wrong with them. The 'Cinderellas' are all gone, and have put the balls away for the year. Only the big boys are left.

As much as I have always been leery of over-confidence I can also state that the best of the best have every right to feel that way, and exude it in their actions and their words. Dan Hurley has clearly been the best basketball coach in all of men's college basketball since last February (if not longer), and he has earned the right to talk this way.

As UConn Husky fans we were all dying to get back to when we could feel this way again after the pathetic, soul-crushing and just plain sad end to Kevin Ollie's coaching tenure. Dan has taken us beyond most if not all of our wildest imaginations in a relatively short time. He is the same, confident guy now as he was on the first day and in the first year he took this job. What he is trying to accomplish is nearly impossible, going back-to-back.

I say let him do it his way. It certainly has been working. Enjoy the ride, because it sure is fun to be back on top of the heap and acting the part, instead of like sheepish little wanna-be's.

Reaction Score
The truth is, that the best are the best because they are confident, right down to the core of their souls.

Dan's word usage yesterday is from the same ilk as the "You better get us now, because it's coming" genre he has used since becoming our coach. Anyone on here who was a fan of the NBA in the 80's and 90's knows that the two biggest trash talkers were... Larry Bird and Michael Jordan. And do you know why? Because they were two of the greatest players of all time, and they knew it. And they were going to make sure you knew it, too.

Dan has that same belief in himself and this team. Period.

And anyone who thinks we are giving other team's "bulletin board material" at this point... if anyone still alive in this tournament needs that for extra motivation when they are already in the Sweet 16 and still alive with the chance to win the National Championship, then there is something wrong with them. The 'Cinderellas' are all gone, and have put the balls away for the year. Only the big boys are left.

As much as I have always been leery of over-confidence I can also state that the best of the best have every right to feel that way, and exude it in their actions and their words. Dan Hurley has clearly been the best basketball coach in all of men's college basketball since last February (if not longer), and he has earned the right to talk this way.

As UConn Husky fans we were all dying to get back to when we could feel this way again after the pathetic, soul-crushing and just plain sad end to Kevin Ollie's coaching tenure. Dan has taken us beyond most if not all of our wildest imaginations in a relatively short time. He is the same, confident guy now as he was on the first day and in the first year he took this job. What he is trying to accomplish is nearly impossible, going back-to-back.

I say let him do it his way. It certainly has been working. Enjoy the ride, because it sure is fun to be back on top of the heap and acting the part, instead of like sheepish little wanna-be's.
Just replying so everyone reads it again and injects it into their soul. +1000

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
While watching the presser, where he mentioned it twice, it seemed far more innocuous than as the headline of a thread. It still however can (and likely will) easily used as bulletin board material. That doesn't bother me as much as the idea that he actually did say it, to a reporter no less. We can move past this, especially with this team.

I will however add:
Doom.jpg

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Maybe it will, but did the bulletproof comment fire up Northwestern yesterday and help them beat UConn?

The article was published after the Northwestern game, so I'm thinking it had no affect.

On a scale of 1 to 10, the comment was a 3. Y'all are going nuts over a comment that it was a stupid thing to say.

Reaction Score
While watching the presser, where he mentioned it twice, it seemed far more innocuous than as the headline of a thread. It still however can (and likely will) easily used as bulletin board material. That doesn't bother me as much as the idea that he actually did say it, to a reporter no less. We can move past this, especially with this team.

I will however add:
View attachment 98213

Maybe today’s the day you change your signature? Then we won’t be “doooomed”.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
TLDR for this thread:
"We're the best and not afraid to say it" versus "Pride goeth before an upset"

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Maybe today’s the day you change your signature? Then we won’t be “doooomed”.
You'll try anything you can to kill the mojo, won't you?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It’s a fine line, but there’s something to be said for the aura around this team. We had the same thing in the later rounds last year. We knew it, the fans knew it, the media knew it, and deep down, the other team knew how those games were going to end.

It is actually getting into teams heads. Collins mentioned yesterday how nervous and overwhelmed his team was to start the game. I have to attribute some of that to the aura of our team and the fact that we blow through every non con opponent (except Kansas) by double digits for 2 full years. BigEast teams don't come out shook against us. They mostly lose to us, just the same, but they don't play like they are a HS team playing the showtime Lakers. I'm glad we use it to our advantage.

I think San Diego State, just on the fact they were in a title game with us last year ( and hung with us late in the game) won't come out with the schpilkes like other teams obviously have. If we make it through this round, the other teams left are generally too good to be frightened, but depending who it is I would say that there will be a little something in the back of their heads too. Getting off to great starts in games always has the potential to get teams flustered.

Reaction Score
I like the decision to embrace the rat poison (everyone saying "this is UConn's tournament to lose") in an aggressive way. Instead of it putting more pressure on the players (they can only fail and have what is basically theirs taken away) and makes them aggressive by embracing it and being the biggest bullies out there.

Reaction Score
It is actually getting into teams heads. Collins mentioned yesterday how nervous and overwhelmed his team was to start the game. I have to attribute some of that to the aura of our team and the fact that we blow through every non con opponent (except Kansas) by double digits for 2 full years. BigEast teams don't come out shook against us. They mostly lose to us, just the same, but they don't play like they are a HS team playing the showtime Lakers. I'm glad we use it to our advantage.

I think San Diego State, just on the fact they were in a title game with us last year ( and hung with us late in the game) won't come out with the schpilkes like other teams obviously have. If we make it through this round, the other teams left are generally too good to be frightened, but depending who it is I would say that there will be a little something in the back of their heads too. Getting off to great starts in games always has the potential to get teams flustered.
Honestly, we are starting to look, sound, and be treated the way our women's teams were 5-10 years ago. That's a good thing. And that intimidation factor can help us get out to a fast start that takes the opponent out of the game mentally.

I agree that SDSU, being the first Tournament team we're facing twice in these last two years, won't be as susceptible to that, but we could still shock-and-awe them out of the gate and give ourselves a nice cushion.

Reaction Score
Honestly, we are starting to look, sound, and be treated the way our women's teams were 5-10 years ago. That's a good thing. And that intimidation factor can help us get out to a fast start that takes the opponent out of the game mentally.

I agree that SDSU, being the first Tournament team we're facing twice in these last two years, won't be as susceptible to that, but we could still shock-and-awe them out of the gate and give ourselves a nice cushion.

I don’t like this kind of talk from a coach. I’m personally a fan of always being humble and letting the results do the talking. Jmho

That said I don’t think it has any effect on the opponent whatsoever, whether positive or negative. Opponents fear dominant teams because of dominant play, not the smack your coach talks. And they get motivated or not based on a million things that have nothing to do with bulletin board stuff.

On court trash talk from players is another story. It’s part of the game imo.

Reaction Score
I don’t like this kind of talk from a coach. I’m personally a fan of always being humble and letting the results do the talking. Jmho

That said I don’t think it has any effect on the opponent whatsoever, whether positive or negative. Opponents fear dominant teams because of dominant play, not the smack your coach talks. And they get motivated or not based on a million things that have nothing to do with bulletin board stuff.

On court trash talk from players is another story. It’s part of the game imo.
So you didn't get goosebumps and need to call your doctor 4 hours later after "you better get us now, because it's coming."

The "it's coming" is the right now, and you expect Dan Hurley to back off that talk?

Not for nothing I think he's been plenty gracious and heaped praise all over Chris Collins, Northwestern, and the Big 10 before and after handling them yesterday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom