UConn's Bob Diaco Hopes To Expand Role Of Preferred Walk-Ons (Des) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn's Bob Diaco Hopes To Expand Role Of Preferred Walk-Ons (Des)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bulletpoints

1. Another clear example of hanging up on someone who doesn't share your opinion.
2. I have no problem Diaco's words. They are hyperbole; but, they get to the essence of what this is: a Football team than represents a University & the State of Connecticut. It's our identity & we can take pride. It separates us from BC or Cuse. And we wear it differently than Rutgers. That's my truth.
3. New England Football gets overlooked. Edsall repeatedly found gems in odd NE towns. A bunch of these kids - maybe 10 a year - could be solid roster additions. That wouldn't happen at ... Some other higher level schools. Talent is raw & Diaco is making an effort to build this way. Not a huge applause; but he deserves credit for initiative. Edsall - IMO - proved this path. And actually gave some scholarships to kids who would have PWO.

If we sent Kendall Reyes, Anthony Sherman, Scott Lutrus & Brian Leonard (from where I am today - Gouverneur, NY) to a Rutgers combine with 4 star HS studs that have many offers, you guys would all take the 4 stars. A REAL good analytics guy in football with a good eye may well have taken all of the first 4. This is a debate you will rage on forever. And you never see the point.

Reaction Score
Bulletpoints

1. Another clear example of hanging up on someone who doesn't share your opinion.
2. I have no problem Diaco's words. They are hyperbole; but, they get to the essence of what this is: a Football team than represents a University & the State of Connecticut. It's our identity & we can take pride. It separates us from BC or Cuse. And we wear it differently than Rutgers. That's my truth.
3. New England Football gets overlooked. Edsall repeatedly found gems in odd NE towns. A bunch of these kids - maybe 10 a year - could be solid roster additions. That wouldn't happen at ... Some other higher level schools. Talent is raw & Diaco is making an effort to build this way. Not a huge applause; but he deserves credit for initiative. Edsall - IMO - proved this path. And actually gave some scholarships to kids who would have PWO.

If we sent Kendall Reyes, Anthony Sherman, Scott Lutrus & Brian Leonard (from where I am today - Gouverneur, NY) to a Rutgers combine with 4 star HS studs that have many offers, you guys would all take the 4 stars. A REAL good analytics guy in football with a good eye may well have taken all of the first 4. This is a debate you will rage on forever. And you never see the point.

It's Signing Day. Can you knock this off already? Isn't it bad enough your stupid thread had to get locked up yesterday? Just stop it.

And oh the irony of you chastising others for thinking they're the smartest guy in room. Comedy gold.

Reaction Score
That's not revised. Do you think there is no deliniation between players who walk on and get scholarships?

Why don't you check in with players who have walked on and see if their experience is the same as scholarship players.

So is your issue with the practice (which is common), the labeling of "preferred" walk-ons (also common), or Diaco's words (which I think we've established are pretty irrelevant at this point). Make up your mind.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So is your issue with the practice (which is common), the labeling of "preferred" walk-ons (also common), or Diaco's words (which I think we've established are pretty irrelevant at this point). Make up your mind.

I made up my mind long ago. That you and others have reframed it a dozen different ways isn't my fault.

You may have decided that his words are irrelevant - I disagree.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I made up my mind long ago. That you and others have reframed it a dozen different ways isn't my fault.

You may have decided that his words are irrelevant - I disagree.

No, I think we've all decided your words are irrelevant, actually.

Speaking of reframing - you did it again!

First it was "serving your state U" that was bad (which excaliber didn't even have to list)
Next, it was the difference between a walk on and scholly
Now, you're disagreeing with someone calling Diaco's words irrelevant, when you've flipped at least twice on them.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No, I think we've all decided your words are irrelevant, actually.

Speaking of reframing - you did it again!

First it was "serving your state U" that was bad (which excaliber didn't even have to list)
Next, it was the difference between a walk on and scholly
Now, you're disagreeing with someone calling Diaco's words irrelevant, when you've flipped at least twice on them.

If that's what you have decided good for you. I don't force you to read nor do I force you to reply.

The past few days have shown just how clueless some of the posters here are - if you can't identify which ones are which.... it doesn't much bother me.

Reaction Score
Let me get this right:

There is no delination between getting aid and not.

Other than scholarship players get aid and preferred walk ons do not.

So you are held to the same standards - and it's a great chance to serve your state. All while getting none of the benefits of a schloarship.

And oh yeah the old walk on program produced a couple of high draft picks - so if we use the word preferred the players will be better.

Whaler you need to read this article to become which will help you better understand the nature and benefits of the Preferred Walk on.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...turning-walk-ons-into-winners-at-kansas-state

Reaction Score
You do realize that these players (the preferred walk-ons) are excited to to be given the opportunity to compete for a spot. They aren't being forced to go to UCONN against their will....but keep throwing Shot at the wall, it's the only thing you are good at.

Mets, anyone who questions the addition of Preferred Walk ons should go to these two links 25 greatest Walk-Ons in BCS era and KC State-Snyder's (same coaching tree as Diaco) success:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1680129-25-greatest-walk-ons-of-the-bcs-era

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...turning-walk-ons-into-winners-at-kansas-state

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Mets, anyone who questions the addition of Preferred Walk ons should go to these two links 25 greatest Walk-Ons in BCS era and KC State-Snyder's (same coaching tree as Diaco) success:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1680129-25-greatest-walk-ons-of-the-bcs-era

Carl no one is questioning adding walk ons. So you can stop spaming the board with the same article. We don't need Kansas State articles anyway - there are enough examples at UConn over the past dozen years.

Reaction Score
Carl no one is questioning adding walk ons. So you can stop spaming the board with the same article. We don't need Kansas State articles anyway - there are enough examples at UConn over the past dozen years.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Yes I understand you are confused. Anyone who links to the same article in three consecutive posts clearly isn't keeping up.

Rest easy - everyone knows walk on players have value. I hope that allows you to stop posting the same KSU article.

Reaction Score

Stop badgering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak