UConn's Bob Diaco Hopes To Expand Role Of Preferred Walk-Ons (Des) | The Boneyard

UConn's Bob Diaco Hopes To Expand Role Of Preferred Walk-Ons (Des)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

>>Diaco is used to a preferred walk-on program. He experienced it at Iowa, where he was a player, and at Notre Dame, where he was defensive coordinator under coach Brian Kelly. "That's the model I'm used to," he said. "That there's no difference or delineation between whether you have aid or you do not have aid. Everyone on the team is held to the same standard, and everyone on the team is being evaluated at the same level."<<

>>Diaco said the preferred walk-on program is not exclusive to Connecticut players, but it is an option for them to consider, versus leaving the state. "It's not that it's the only prerequisite or parameter, but if this really talented Connecticut high school football player who loves Connecticut ... to me, these guys are not an afterthought anymore," Diaco said. "Don't go to another university. Come to UConn. Come serve this state institution and come serve the football team. In the event that you are a productive member of our football team in any of the three phases [offense, defense, special teams], then we're going to put you on scholarship, and we're not going to go out and recruit a different player. We're going to honor you and your production and service."<<

Reaction Score
It is good to hear about this. 2014 was a rough year but the change in culture continues as BD is still implementing his plan. Recruiting players for these slots rather than seeing who shows up at tryouts can only add to the quality of depth on the roster.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Let me get this right:

There is no delination between getting aid and not.

Other than scholarship players get aid and preferred walk ons do not.

So you are held to the same standards - and it's a great chance to serve your state. All while getting none of the benefits of a schloarship.

And oh yeah the old walk on program produced a couple of high draft picks - so if we use the word preferred the players will be better.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have to admit I'm getting close to calling a time of death. When you are using scholarships to recruit players from Maine who have only offers from the University of Maine and calling on Connecticut players to serve the state institution and the football team...

Reaction Score
I have to admit I'm getting close to calling a time of death. When you are using scholarships to recruit players from Maine who have only offers from the University of Maine and calling on Connecticut players to serve the state institution and the football team...

Admit it, You drink yourself into a saturday night stupor and then post nothing but crud.

Reaction Score
And oh yeah the old walk on program produced a couple of high draft picks - so if we use the word preferred the players will be better.

I realize you are trolling for arguments on a Saturday night but "Preferred" Walk-Ons are viewed differently in the eyes of the NCAA, it's more than just cosmetically adding an adjective before the words "walk-on".

Some folk's family financial situations also allow them to pay for school (and/or qualify for other types of aid) where others may not have the means to attend without a scholarship.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I realize you are trolling for arguments on a Saturday night but "Preferred" Walk-Ons are viewed differently in the eyes of the NCAA, it's more than just cosmetically adding an adjective before the words "walk-on".

Some folk's family financial situations also allow them to pay for school (and/or qualify for other types of aid) where others may not have the means to attend without a scholarship.

Sorry to report I'm sober and I understand what preferred means.

I have held off on commenting on the recent circle jerk..

Within the last 24 hours Diaco used a scholarship on a player who only had an offer from Maine and then called on Connecticut high school players to serve the state university and football program.

So you guys can bash me all you like...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You aren't an afterthough! You can come serve your state as a walk on. If it turns out you are good we'll give you a scholarship!

Reaction Score
Within the last 24 hours Diaco used a scholarship on a player who only had an offer from Maine and then called on Connecticut high school players to serve the state university and football program.

So you guys can bash me all you like...

Consider yourself bashed, even from you this is surprising. You may have reached a new low. Good Grief,"only a Maine offer", what an idiot. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you were drinking.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I actually think highly of Zordan - I don't care who else has offered. Nebraska has used the preferred walk on program for years with much success. Depth is something that has to be built, I don't care how it is done and if these kids can contribute, I am all for it.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
We're a few days before Signing Day. If these PWOs don't have other scholarship offers, it's a good way to go to a good school with an inside track for a scholarship. If any of these kids are offered scholarships at a peer school between now and Wednesday, then they'd obviously go there. If they don't, then they can get in on the ground floor, work hard, and earn a scholarship at UCONN. Not bad for a kid with big dreams but no offers.

We need depth. We have way too many holes to fill on the roster to worry whether or not the kid comes to UCONN on scholarship or if they are a PWO.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Consider yourself bashed, even from you this is surprising. You may have reached a new low. Good Grief,"only a Maine offer", what an idiot. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you were drinking.

I wish I was wrong. I would love for you and BNich and SRQ to be right.

Since this is a football program - the most important detail is... wait for it... he had one other offer and it was from Maine.

Reaction Score
I wish I was wrong. I would love for you and BNich and SRQ to be right.

Since this is a football program - the most important detail is... wait for it... he had one other offer and it was from Maine.

and Marcus Easley probably didn't even have an offer from Maine, ditto Donald Thomas, so the kid from Maine is one up on them.

Reaction Score

@BruceFeldmanCFB: Of the 6 players who received NFL MVP votes this season, 4 didn't have a single scholarship offer from a Power5 program out of HS.

Zordan Holman for NFL MVP 2023! ;)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
But what's the downside?

The downside is that the other football teams were out recruiting better football players.

Any given player may be the one everyone missed. When you are recruiting your whole class against schools that don't play football at a high level - spoiler alert - it doesn't turn out well.

A week before signing day offering scholarships to players who only have an offer from Maine... it's a red flag to anyone not looking through Husky lenses.

Reaction Score
Trying to come up with anything that can be a downside. Can't come up with anything for player or school. Player probably did not have a scholarship to another school , gets to basically showcase himself at a div 1 program with a chance to get a scholarship. Not a bad deal. School get a motivated player that possibly helps team down the road and gives you more depth. Think it is a win win situation.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
@BruceFeldmanCFB: Of the 6 players who received NFL MVP votes this season, 4 didn't have a single scholarship offer from a Power5 program out of HS.

How did Ohio State, Alabama, Oregon and Florida State look in the recruiting rankings 2-4 years ago?

I get it. You guys are cool with stealing players from Maine a week before signing day.

It's a complete disconnect from how the sport actually works but attack me.

Reaction Score
The downside is that the other football teams were out recruiting better football players.

Any given player may be the one everyone missed. When you are recruiting your whole class against schools that don't play football at a high level - spoiler alert - it doesn't turn out well.

A week before signing day offering scholarships to players who only have an offer from Maine... it's a red flag to anyone not looking through Husky lenses.
I will be honest that not always impressed by list of offers for some of our recruits . But am impressed by size and other measurables. So I am putting my trust in BD and his staff, that they have a plan. I am in the camp that BD and company are going to turn this around.

Reaction Score
How did Ohio State, Alabama, Oregon and Florida State look in the recruiting rankings 2-4 years ago?

But at this point in time Whaler, we are not competing against Ohio State, Alabama, Oregon and Florida State. Nor will we in the next 5 years.

No attack at all... Just a different perspective.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I just want to say that I love this thread.

Reaction Score
from wiki re: University of Maine: (spoiler alert: Whaler sucks balls)

The football program has produced many professional football players and coaches, such as centerMike Flynn, offensive lineman Justin Strzelczyk, quarterback Mike Buck, wide receiver/coach Phil McGeoghan, Pro Bowl linebacker Lofa Tatupu, who transferred to USC after his freshman year, linebacker Stephen Cooper, Pro Bowl fullback/special teamsMontell Owens, defensive back Daren Stone, tight end Matthew Mulligan, defensive lineman Mike DeVito, linebacker Jovan Belcher and defensive back Brandon McGowan. The University of Maine is known currently to have the most active players on NFL rosters at the Division 1 FCS level.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
But at this point in time Whaler, we are not competing against Ohio State, Alabama, Oregon and Florida State. Nor will we in the next 5 years.

No attack at all... Just a different perspective.

But I figure the goal is for UConn to win games not be the random school
that has one great NFL player.

I didn't look up the list of players who got an MVP vote - but even guys like Watt who started in the MAC ended up at Wisconsin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom