UConn's Bob Diaco Hopes To Expand Role Of Preferred Walk-Ons (Des) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn's Bob Diaco Hopes To Expand Role Of Preferred Walk-Ons (Des)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not talking about stars.

I'm talking about the schools you win recruiting battles against.

I guess I haven't gotten the point across on the PWO comments. It's the 'serve your state university' crap that is annoying. If he wants to label some walk ons as preferred who cares - it's a nearly meaningless designation.
Now I understand your stance...thanks. Valid points...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I agree will never get 4 or 5 star kids

Well, just off the top of my head: Jarrell Miller, Dwayne Difton, Zach Fraser, Chandler Whitmer.

If you mean that it's extremely difficult for us to land a 4 star kid under our current circumstances, well, then I agree with you. But not "never". And keep in mind that we have players that were Parade All-Americans (Lemelle, Newsome) on this roster right now. We have a couple that have played in the Big33 game. We have the #1 DT in Pennsylvania on the way to campus this summer. We have talent, and we are bringing in talent. Now, let's see what we can do with it... ;)

Reaction Score
I'm not resigned to another tough year.

Part of my optimism is that I think that there is already talent in the building to utilize. We will finally have juniors and seniors on the field primarily, with some exciting sophomores in certain areas. And I think that we are in a league where we can make the transition from worst to first much more easily than in the P5. If there is any benefit to not being in the P5 right now, well then that is it. And I hope we take advantage of that. If Diaco has learned as much from his first year as I think he has, then this year will be a lot less painful...
I hope your right. I wonder if Trey Rutherford supplants Levy at LT. The line has to be better right from game one next year. Then we need to see if we have a QB on the roster that could play competent FBS FB, which I think is even a bigger issue than the line. At no point last year did the offense look like it did the last 3 games of 2013, with Casey. Competent QB play covers up a lot of deficiencies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
@UConnDan97 Whitmer, Frazer and I believe even Miller (there was some issue with him) we're transfers though.

Difton I believe was our only 4 star recruit to commit out of HS to UConn. Could be wrong.

So, yeah never say never, but pretty close haha.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
@UConnDan97 Whitmer, Frazer and I believe even Miller (there was some issue with him) we're transfers though.

Difton I believe was our only 4 star recruit to commit out of HS to UConn. Could be wrong.

So, yeah never say never, but pretty close haha.

I thought that Miller committed to someone else (UNC?) and then decommitted after a year of prep play (Fork Union?). I don't remember because it was so long ago. But...wow, almost never... :eek:. We'll get them here, once we right the ship. That's the key...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I hope your right. I wonder if Trey Rutherford supplants Levy at LT. The line has to be better right from game one next year. Then we need to see if we have a QB on the roster that could play competent FBS FB, which I think is even a bigger issue than the line. At no point last year did the offense look like it did the last 3 games of 2013, with Casey. Competent QB play covers up a lot of deficiencies.

Yeah, the QB play is going to be crucial this year. I'm hoping for great things from Shirreffs or Davis, or maybe vast improvement from Boyle. But I think that an improvement in the OLine will go a long way to improved football overall. Keep in mind that we had very few games where we ran over 100 yards. That's a gigantic issue. If the OLine gets fixed, that will take a lot of pressure off the QB to be great. Then, we just need him to be good...

Reaction Score

I guess I haven't gotten the point across on the PWO comments. It's the 'serve your state university' crap that is annoying. If he wants to label some walk ons as preferred who cares - it's a nearly meaningless designation.

Except that they get their name called out on NSD and that there is no try out. I understand you're objection to the words serving the state, but haven't we been complaining for years about the CT HS FB Coaches who refuse to acknowledge State U.? Is it such a problem for a kid who wants to play CFB to pass on a 1-AA scholly to suit up for State U., instead? What's wrong with getting kids from across the state in to the program? Would we rather they left the state to play elsewhere?

Reaction Score
@Bonehead I loved those two Big East title teams and went to Charlotte and Arizona to see them. Absolutely nothing can take away a championship won on the field. It doesn't mean you can't objectively say we were 8-5 and didn't score an offensive TD our last two games.

@noeynox I think it's fair to criticize the recruiting now, while giving the benefit of the doubt to Edsall because he earned that.

I agree will never get 4 or 5 star kids, but I also think guys with FCS offers or very low FBS setting the bar too level.

We should fight for the local 2 and 3 star kids and if we miss out, move to the kids with AAC or good MAC type offers. Take a chance on a couple of kids with academic issues or a few JUCOs. Something, anything, is better than the death spiral we're on.

I don't disagree with the bold part. When Edsall was here I'd get mad when we would lose OL recruits to Mac schools. You're given Edsall the benefit of the doubt after the fact. The fact remains, the recruits committing now look no different than the commits we were getting then.

To me he is recruiting kids with size that can run. Remains to be seen if Diaco and this staff can develop them. The results on the field will tell the story. Having followed UConn's FB recruiting for like 13 years now, I just can't get worked up. Yeah I want to see kids with at least AAC offers, but those kids aren't really in the tri state area, so you have to convince kids from our expanded recruiting territory to come to CT to play for a team that has not only been bad, it has been boring beyond belief. No small task IMO. Don't discount the effect of our boring play in recruiting as well. Whipple had UMass putting up big numbers against P5 schools last year. SMH.

Reaction Score

You call it meaningless, and in the same thread declare that you're prepared to declare "time of death" in connection with the same comments.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I thought that Miller committed to someone else (UNC?) and then decommitted after a year of prep play (Fork Union?). I don't remember because it was so long ago. But...wow, almost never... :eek:. We'll get them here, once we right the ship. That's the key...

I think you're right about Miller. I don't think he ever ended up playing a game here.

Difton was a strange case too. I think he ended up at UCF. Not sure.

I think we're hamstrung by obviously the conference locally, but the fact we need to play ball with all the community colleges in our league where our refusal to bend academic requirements kills us. Where a Boise State or directional state U will take a kid that can fog a mirror, we won't take any exceptions.

Before the academic crowd goes nuts, if you think allowing 3-5 questionable kids grades wise in to play football hurts UConns academic reputation... there's a good chance you holding a UConn degree has already done enough in that regard.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I don't disagree with the bold part. When Edsall was here I'd get mad when we would lose OL recruits to Mac schools. You're given Edsall the benefit of the doubt after the fact. The fact remains, the recruits committing now look no different than the commits we were getting then.

To me he is recruiting kids with size that can run. Remains to be seen if Diaco and this staff can develop them. The results on the field will tell the story. Having followed UConn's FB recruiting for like 13 years now, I just can't get worked up. Yeah I want to see kids with at least AAC offers, but those kids aren't really in the tri state area, so you have to convince kids from our expanded recruiting territory to come to CT to play for a team that has not only been bad, it has been boring beyond belief. No small task IMO. Don't discount the effect of our boring play in recruiting as well. Whipple had UMass putting up big numbers against P5 schools last year. SMH.

Really good post. I remember when the initial reports came out that we actually had hired Whipple. Looks like that should've been the play. Well, anything other than P would've been better.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Except that they get their name called out on NSD and that there is no try out. I understand you're objection to the words serving the state, but haven't we been complaining for years about the CT HS FB Coaches who refuse to acknowledge State U.? Is it such a problem for a kid who wants to play CFB to pass on a 1-AA scholly to suit up for State U., instead? What's wrong with getting kids from across the state in to the program? Would we rather they left the state to play elsewhere?

Do you think UConn hasn't had walk ons who knew they didn't have to try out but haven't been labeled preferred?

I'll give up because I can't seem to get the point across but calling on kids to give up FCS scholarships and serve their state comes across poorly to me.

It has nothing to do with the value of having good walkons. I don't care where the players come from, just so long as they can win. Not at breakfast but on Saturday's.

Reaction Score

It's meaningless to everyone except the players. The walk-ons are committing to a whole bunch of time with risk to injury and without much glory for a shot at a full a scholarship and taking the field for the University of Connecticut. Diaco is committing to them that they will have a fair shot at a scholarship if they are committed to the program and develop as a player. In addition, he realizes he doesn't have a top 50 recruiting class and he is trying to squeeze as much potential for talent as possible. It also mitigates some risk by adding at least some level of depth at key positions.

Didn't you see Rudy? It was based on a true story so we know this ends well.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Before the academic crowd goes nuts, if you think allowing 3-5 questionable kids grades wise in to play football hurts UConns academic reputation... there's a good chance you holding a UConn degree has already done enough in that regard.

There has to be a happy medium between having reasonable standards and creating fake classes. There are a lot of possibilities in between the two. ;) And I'm under no illusion that many of the kids who play sports at any university are not doing it in order to obtain a "General Studies" degree. Some of them are chasing a dream to make money in that chosen sport, and they believe that the university offers the best chance to do so. I just wish that the NCAA would stop pretending that they care about academics and instate the same academic requirements for all schools participating. A good step toward that goal would be to actually punish UNC and others when they fake it...

Reaction Score
Do you think UConn hasn't had walk ons who knew they didn't have to try out but haven't been labeled preferred?

I'll give up because I can't seem to get the point across but calling on kids to give up FCS scholarships and serve their state comes across poorly to me.

It has nothing to do with the value of having good walkons. I don't care where the players come from, just so long as they can win. Not at breakfast but on Saturday's.
Not @breakfast I love that. Diaco did a lot of talk about winning but as soon as the games started the tune changed to "were not good enough". That was annoying as all hell. Felt like a copout.

Reaction Score

So you're OK with the practice, just not with announcing it publicly? And that's the point that you're ready to call it quits over? Of all the things that look to be wrong with the program and Diaco that seems awfully trivial . . .

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
What's wrong with getting kids from across the state in to the program? Would we rather they left the state to play elsewhere?

I will answer and I will get killed for it - but hey, honesty is the best policy, right?

After Tim Boyles performances I would rather he be at BC. One less scholly they would have had to possibly take another CT kid and another scholly UConn would have had to offer elsewhere.

Im into getting kids that contribute, and maybe Tim does that in other ways we are not aware of, but I am not interested in a preferred walkon from CT who is NOT as good as a possible preferred walkon from PA or Fla. With that said I hope Tim is a late bloomer and lights it up next year, because he is a Husky and when in the game I will cheer wildly for him, and groan a bit.

Some will argue that Cepedes(sp) was not scholarship worthy and could have been a preferred walk on as well.

I dont want CT kids just to have CT kids - I dont see how that helps.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's meaningless to everyone except the players. The walk-ons are committing to a whole bunch of time with risk to injury and without much glory for a shot at a full a scholarship and taking the field for the University of Connecticut. Diaco is committing to them that they will have a fair shot at a scholarship if they are committed to the program and develop as a player. In addition, he realizes he doesn't have a top 50 recruiting class and he is trying to squeeze as much potential for talent as possible. It also mitigates some risk by adding at least some level of depth at key positions.

Didn't you see Rudy? It was based on a true story so we know this ends well.

For what feels like the ten millionth time - my comments are about his comments about giving up other opportunities to serve your state university as a walk on.

Not about having walkons. Not about labeling some as preferred.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So you're OK with the practice, just not with announcing it publicly? And that's the point that you're ready to call it quits over? Of all the things that look to be wrong with the program and Diaco that seems awfully trivial . . .

For the love of God. I don't care how he labels walk ons. I don't like his comments about serving the university. It would seem impossible to make that any clearer.

Reaction Score
But if the kid at issue prefers to stay home and try to make the team as a walk-on rather than go away and try his fortunes at 1-AA, why are you so upset? You're coming across as a guy who is upset about a decision a kid makes that may be the best day of his teenage life.

And no, I dont think there was a preferred walk-on program, because with that comes the ability to practice before classes start - walk-ons try out after they enroll, it is a differnet program than seeing a kid playing hoops on campus and saying, hey, wanna try out?

But this is what happens when a program is in a world of trouble, the message board gets littered with non-key tweets and discussions about walk-ons

Reaction Score
For what feels like the ten millionth time - my comments are about his comments about giving up other opportunities to serve your state university as a walk on.

I think he is right to acknowledge the sacrifice these kids are making without any guarantees. Perhaps he could have stated it a little more eloquently so it didn't sound like they are earning their Eagle Scout designation.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
But if the kid at issue prefers to stay home and try to make the team as a walk-on rather than go away and try his fortunes at 1-AA, why are you so upset? You're coming across as a guy who is upset about a decision a kid makes that may be the best day of his teenage life.

And no, I dont think there was a preferred walk-on program, because with that comes the ability to practice before classes start - walk-ons try out after they enroll, it is a differnet program than seeing a kid playing hoops on campus and saying, hey, wanna try out?

But this is what happens when a program is in a world of trouble, the message board gets littered with non-key tweets and discussions about walk-ons

Could you possibly be any more dense?

He's said at least 5 times the only issue he has was Diaco calling it a service to your state. Just seems bogus to imply kids getting FCS scholarships are somehow not up "service".

Reaction Score
For the love of God. I don't care how he labels walk ons. I don't like his comments about serving the university. It would seem impossible to make that any clearer.

I get it. Thanks for not answering . . .

Reaction Score
Let me get this right:

There is no delination between getting aid and not.

Other than scholarship players get aid and preferred walk ons do not.

So you are held to the same standards - and it's a great chance to serve your state. All while getting none of the benefits of a schloarship.

And oh yeah the old walk on program produced a couple of high draft picks - so if we use the word preferred the players will be better.

Seems you've revised your stance a bit since your initial post, by the way . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom