UConn's Bob Diaco Hopes To Expand Role Of Preferred Walk-Ons (Des) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn's Bob Diaco Hopes To Expand Role Of Preferred Walk-Ons (Des)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
UConnDan97 said:
And 5 losses.

Again, I don't understand why people are so offended that the star ratings matter in aggregate. Whaler is correct in saying that it is a mathematics game. If your team is full of players from the top 200, then you are going to win a crap-ton of games. If your team is full of 2-star players, you are going to drop a few games at minimum. That's the way it goes.

And again, UConn has to focus on getting the absolute best 2 and 3 star kids we can, because our program is not currently attractive enough for the top200 recruits. But that's okay. We actually happen to be in a league where we can win a crap-ton of games with the right 2- and 3-star kids! We aren't playing in the SEC or the B1G (yet). So let's continue to focus on what we can do, and continue to try to do it well. But it shouldn't offend people's sensibilities that the 5 star kids are really really really good players...

Star ratings do matter on average, they are just not the end all be all. There can be a huge difference in actual results from the recruiting ranking. And not all four starts are better than three starts and a few two stars turn put to be better.

We have no idea. What we do know is that rated guys get more attention and just about every P5 program gets to eat before we do. Some like our coach, school, location, playing time, dairy bar, whatever and decide this is the right place. But for most guys that have a lot of offers, they also come with issues that cause them to fall to us, on average of course.

So, if you tell me a kid has offers from PSU, MD, UVA and doesn't have some connection to us, I'm skeptical that he's gonna pan put more often that some no name two star kid from MA that the coach is high on. Not a widely shared opinion, but it's mine.

I'll take shots on highly ranked kids all day because there won't be many. But, the program is gonna win with hard nosed blue collar guys who exceed their HS rating. I also like kids from states where football is a religion, even though they might also have been passed over by top programs. The loss of the GA pipeline has probably hurt more than we realize.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
But if the kid at issue prefers to stay home and try to make the team as a walk-on rather than go away and try his fortunes at 1-AA, why are you so upset? You're coming across as a guy who is upset about a decision a kid makes that may be the best day of his teenage life.

And no, I dont think there was a preferred walk-on program, because with that comes the ability to practice before classes start - walk-ons try out after they enroll, it is a differnet program than seeing a kid playing hoops on campus and saying, hey, wanna try out?

But this is what happens when a program is in a world of trouble, the message board gets littered with non-key tweets and discussions about walk-ons

Seriously. This isn't that complicated.

I'm all for anyone who wants to give up a chance somewhere else and walk on. I have never implied in any way that I am not - so I have no idea why you'd frame my post in that way.

I didn't like his tone or the implication behind Diaco's comments. That he called on players to pass on other opportunities to serve their state university while at the same time offering a scholarship to a player who only has an offer from Maine is a pretty poor choice of timing.

I'm not debating if the kid from Maine is more worthy than any of the PWO - I have no way to know.

For a guy who is supposed to be a master salesman - he hasn't shown any ability to recruit against peer programs and based on the attendance very few in the fanbase are sold.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Seems you've revised your stance a bit since your initial post, by the way . . .

My stance hasn't changed. If it wasn't clear I apologize.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Diaco's tone? Next it'll be that his tie is crooked, or a strand of hair is loose.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Seems you've revised your stance a bit since your initial post, by the way . . .

That's not revised. Do you think there is no deliniation between players who walk on and get scholarships?

Why don't you check in with players who have walked on and see if their experience is the same as scholarship players.

Reaction Score
That's not revised. Do you think there is no deliniation between players who walk on and get scholarships?

Why don't you check in with players who have walked on and see if their experience is the same as scholarship players.

I think the original discussion encompassed whether there was a delineation between Preferred Walk-On and Walk-On or was BD just blowing smoke. I don't know exactly where UConn stands but per Football Scoop:

Nine out of the 10 staffs we spoke with use the “preferred concept” and to those nine, the clear difference between a preferred walk-on versus someone who simply walks-on is that the preferred means he is guaranteed a spot on the 105 man roster day one of camp, while other walk-ons will have to go through tryouts to see if they can earn a spot on the roster.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think the original discussion encompassed whether there was a delineation between Preferred Walk-On and Walk-On or was BD just blowing smoke. I don't know exactly where UConn stands but per Football Scoop:

Nine out of the 10 staffs we spoke with use the “preferred concept” and to those nine, the clear difference between a preferred walk-on versus someone who simply walks-on is that the preferred means he is guaranteed a spot on the 105 man roster day one of camp, while other walk-ons will have to go through tryouts to see if they can earn a spot on the roster.

I don't think anyone is debating the difference between PWO and WO. I also think UConn has used PWOs over the past decade but wasn't very public about it.

Reaction Score
funny fanbase - perhaps, one that just likes to b1tch and moan. I cant think of a single P5 program w/o a PWO program (I'm sure there are, it just seems like all have them). We announce one, and folks object, presumably to the phrase serving your state - as if the only way to be a PWO is to be an in-state kid and serve. My guess is schollies are told the same thing about serving.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
funny fanbase - perhaps, one that just likes to b1tch and moan. I cant think of a single P5 program w/o a PWO program (I'm sure there are, it just seems like all have them). We announce one, and folks object, presumably to the phrase serving your state - as if the only way to be a PWO is to be an in-state kid and serve. My guess is schollies are told the same thing about serving.

150 posts and still misrepresenting the point. The Boneyard is nothing but efficient.

Reaction Score
I thought that Miller committed to someone else (UNC?) and then decommitted after a year of prep play (Fork Union?). I don't remember because it was so long ago. But...wow, almost never... :eek:. We'll get them here, once we right the ship. That's the key...

Miller went to UNC, enrolled in school (might have gone to some practices, but never played in a game) and then left maybe a week after school started. He went back to prep school, but was considered a transfer by the NCAA and had to sit a year at UConn because the Fork Union year counted against him as if he were still at UNC when he was really at prep school.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone is debating the difference between PWO and WO. I also think UConn has used PWOs over the past decade but wasn't very public about it.

So it is about the numbers of stars. . .

Kidding. I think UConn has used PWOs in the past, but never needed to make it public, until now. A good PWO can impact that quality of the team and provide added depth. It's unfortunate, but that's where we are. Hopefully, it's temporary.

Reaction Score
It's weird to say that walk-on football players are serving their state. This state will not be impacted in any way by what walk-on football players do for the football program.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

No, why don't you check the difference between a normal walk on and a PWO. This isn't that hard. Getting a spot on a I-A team is a pretty prestigious honor. Getting one *guaranteed* to you is a big benefit.

This thread is at the fringe of even your standard...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No, why don't you check the difference between a normal walk on and a PWO. This isn't that hard. Getting a spot on a I-A team is a pretty prestigious honor. Getting one *guaranteed* to you is a big benefit.

Your replied to a post about the difference between a scholarship and a PWO talking about PWO vs WO... and then took a shot at me. You may be missing the point.

Reaction Score

The arrogance of some people here, while making completely moronic statements, always brings me joy. Thank you.

Reaction Score
It's weird to say that walk-on football players are serving their state. This state will not be impacted in any way by what walk-on football players do for the football program.

I think it is just DiacoSpeak (or mispeak)—which probably draws inspiration from thanking someone for serving their country. I think it's a good move even though it may not have come off just right. We went from low energy coach to one on nitrous oxide, with the latter having the potential to skid off the road from time to time. Both have the ability to make me grimace a little when in front of a mic. Come to think Edsall had the same effect. Who says we don't have tradition?

Last edited:

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Your replied to a post about the difference between a scholarship and a PWO talking about PWO vs WO... and then took a shot at me. You may be missing the point.

No, you're both missing my point. Not shocking, either. Taking shots while trying to chastise me for taking shots. Again, not shocking.

The point is - these are kids that may or may not choose going to UConn over a "worse" I-A offer, or something I-AA or worse. Diaco (and those who champion the PWO concept) think there is a benefit to being offered a guaranteed spot on their team. This proportionatly tugs on state kids, as they pay less to go here.

You also can't make this a straight comparison between scholly and PWO's - all things equal, would you rather be on full ride at Maine, or play and pay at UConn? It's not a simple answer.

Want a shot? It's probably not coincedence that you continue to devalue the overall worth of our team, and choose not to acknowledge that there is a prestige to being offered a spot on it.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The PWO "debate" is/was literally a comment over semantics by how Diaco chose to say it was a decision to serve the state of CT.

Where are you guys getting the rest of this from?!

Reaction Score
@pepband99
You tried to say there was less of a difference between scholarship players and preferred walk-on players, than there is between preferred walk-on and traditional walk-on players.

It's a moronic argument, but please continue if you must.

All you're doing is glorifying the practice squad. Hey, that's great, they are part of the team and good for them. But if they were that good, Diaco wouldn't have to sell them on "serving" their state, he'd sell them on choosing UConn to help us win championships, and he'd be giving them full rides. Preferred or not, guaranteed a spot or not, walk-ons have about a 1 or 2/25 chance of seeing the field. Due to our roster problems they might have a better shot now, but as Diaco fills out the roster with players he thinks are good enough to merit a scholarship offer, the walk-ons will have less and less a chance at playing. That's the reality of it.

You know what works on borderline kids without a lot of options? BS about the prestige of our team and being offered a spot on it. The kids we need to turn things around don't need to be sold on "sacrifice" for the "greater good of the state".

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No, you're both missing my point. Not shocking, either. Taking shots while trying to chastise me for taking shots. Again, not shocking.

The point is - these are kids that may or may not choose going to UConn over a "worse" I-A offer, or something I-AA or worse. Diaco (and those who champion the PWO concept) think there is a benefit to being offered a guaranteed spot on their team. This proportionatly tugs on state kids, as they pay less to go here.

You also can't make this a straight comparison between scholly and PWO's - all things equal, would you rather be on full ride at Maine, or play and pay at UConn? It's not a simple answer.

Want a shot? It's probably not coincedence that you continue to devalue the overall worth of our team, and choose not to acknowledge that there is a prestige to being offered a spot on it.

What are you talking about?

I fully support kids walking on. I hope kids choose UConn PWO over Stony Brook or Towson.

I am flattered that you think your misconstruing of my opinion on matters can impact the market value of a position on the team. Thanks, I guess.

You are still talking about the preferred distinction which literally no one is debating. It's also a bit silly since it's not exactly a new thing here.

As slow as possible. Walk ons good. Want to call some preferred? Knock yourself out.

The comments about players serving state U? Hard pass.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

As for your shot I can't even imagine what you are implying - but I'd guess it's bat crazy.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
What are you talking about?

I fully support kids walking on. I hope kids choose UConn PWO over Stony Brook or Towson.

I am flattered that you think your misconstruing of my opinion on matters can impact the market value of a position on the team. Thanks, I guess.

You are still talking about the preferred distinction which literally no one is debating. It's also a bit silly since it's not exactly a new thing here.

As slow as possible. Walk ons good. Want to call some preferred? Knock yourself out.

The comments about players serving state U? Hard pass.

Right, says the guy who said:
"Let me get this right:

There is no delination between getting aid and not.

Other than scholarship players get aid and preferred walk ons do not.

So you are held to the same standards - and it's a great chance to serve your state. All while getting none of the benefits of a schloarship."

Care to flip flop again?

Reaction Score
My son plays HS football and would love to play at UCONN. Highly unlikely he would get a scholarship (at this point) and probably unlikely he would make the team as a walk on (at this point). But if he can make the cut, he wants to play at UCONN because he has been going to the rent since he was a toddler. But there is 0% chance that he would view this as serving his state. It would be serving his own desires to be part of a program he loves.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Right, says the guy who said:
"Let me get this right:

There is no delination between getting aid and not.

Other than scholarship players get aid and preferred walk ons do not.

So you are held to the same standards - and it's a great chance to serve your state. All while getting none of the benefits of a schloarship."

Care to flip flop again?

You are nuts. That was what I said about Diaco's comments. How have I flipped flopped?

He said there is no difference, I'd say the difference is quite clear.

That has nothing to do with need for walkons or the players that walkon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom