UConn Recruiting | Page 16 | The Boneyard

UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Seh can't play for Nebraska yet she can play for UCONN?

I highly doubt it.
A number of people have posted that Geno needs to get a big body and coach her up. At least Maggie has experience at a Div I level. But of course you’re right, Geno can’t be recruiting girls just because they’re tall then expect them to transform into Dorka. It doesn’t work that way. There are tall girls in the portal but it needs to be a fit for both player and team for a transfer to be happy in her new home.

My feeling is that Maggie Mendelson will probably be playing volleyball at a new school rather than basketball

Reaction Score
A number of people have posted that Geno needs to get a big body and coach her up. At least Maggie has experience at a Div I level. But of course you’re right, Geno can’t be recruiting girls just because they’re tall then expect them to transform into Dorka. It doesn’t work that way. There are tall girls in the portal but it needs to be a fit for both player and team for a transfer to be happy in her new home.

My feeling is that Maggie Mendelson will probably be playing volleyball at a new school rather than basketball
She has 2 years of volleyball eligibility left and 3 for basketball. Is that just a timing overlap or did she sit out a basketball season because of an injury?

Reaction Score
Another variable to add to the equation of adding portal players is, who, on the current roster, will be taking an extra year ?
There might not be much room, on the roster, to add transfer players.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I do not recall Geno having a two sport player on the basketball team. I’ve always been under the impression that if you wanted to play for Geno you couldn’t be a two way player. Mendelson’s primary sport appears to be volleyball and there would be plenty of contenders who would want her as a volleyball player.
Jill Gelfenbien (courtesy of jewish sports.org):

Gelfenbein played for the University of Connecticut Huskies and was a member of the Huskies' 1995 National Championship basketball team. She was also an all-New England and all-NCAA Tournament goalkeeper for the University of Connecticut's soccer team.

Gelfenbein walked on to the basketball team prior to the 1994-95 season. She appeared briefly in the National Championship game, making her one of the few athletes in history to appear in two Final Fours in one scholastic year: Jill was co-captain of the 1994 UConn women's soccer team that reached the National semifinals.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Interesting. Not sure where you find all your basketball info but much appreciated. Probably not the answer for UConn basketball but fun to discuss.

I do not recall Geno having a two sport player on the basketball team. I’ve always been under the impression that if you wanted to play for Geno you couldn’t be a two way player. Mendelson’s primary sport appears to be volleyball and there would be plenty of contenders who would want her as a volleyball player.
I read the Transfer notice that was posted by Husky Nan earlier today. I thought the article, out of
Nebraska, reported (or implied) that she would be considering Basketball as a first option. Did I
misread? The dominoes will start to fall when Sarah Strong makes her decision. Perhaps the
first domino is Aaliyah entering the WNBA draft come springtime.

Reaction Score
No one on the roster will say anything about entering the draft until they have to. They may want to keep their options open, but mostly (I suspect) they won't want to disturb the team's focus needlessly.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I read the Transfer notice that was posted by Husky Nan earlier today. I thought the article, out of
Nebraska, reported (or implied) that she would be considering Basketball as a first option. Did I
misread? The dominoes will start to fall when Sarah Strong makes her decision. Perhaps the
first domino is Aaliyah entering the WNBA draft come springtime.
Don’t get too excited. I mean no offense to Maggie whatsoever when I post these stats.

D75233C2-85F9-4E83-8D85-102D26323913.jpeg

Maggie got an average 7 minutes against these teams. I’m not sure she’s prepared to play UConn’s schedule

D4BE7FEB-0896-4F39-BC9B-A8CC73C14AFA.jpeg

Reaction Score
She has 2 years of volleyball eligibility left and 3 for basketball. Is that just a timing overlap or did she sit out a basketball season because of an injury?
She hasn't played any for the basketball team this year since she just recently came out of volleyball. So, that's the extra year of basketball eligibility.

sun

Reaction Score
Maggie Mendelson's high school recruiting page indicates that she was a 4 star BB recruit that rated a 95. Her position rank was #6 & her overall rank was #22. Her scouting report is very complimentary about her BB skills.

If Geno were interested in a big he'd probably ask her to visit & to try out by doing a workout.
She could have more potential then her freshman stats indicate.
Bett's freshman stats weren't all that impressive either & look how she's doing now.

2022-2023 Nebraska individual stats:

Reaction Score
Bett's freshman stats weren't all that impressive either & look how she's doing now.
Are you suggesting that Mendelson was mistakenly overlooked in the main rotation by the Nebraska coaches? That’s the general sentiment about Betts, namely that Tara made a huge mistake in not playing her and that she could have had these same sophomore stats last year if she’d merely gotten more minutes. If that’s a fair assessment of Mendelson, then she’ll probably be very sought after this spring.

sun

Reaction Score
Are you suggesting that Mendelson was mistakenly overlooked in the main rotation by the Nebraska coaches? That’s the general sentiment about Betts, namely that Tara made a huge mistake in not playing her and that she could have had these same sophomore stats last year if she’d merely gotten more minutes. If that’s a fair assessment of Mendelson, then she’ll probably be very sought after this spring.
This game highlight video shows her (wearing #44) making 3 plays in row after the 2:35 mark, 1 basket & then 2 blocks.
It was stated that she only had 10 days of practice before that game.

Reaction Score
This game highlight video shows her (wearing #44) making 3 plays in row after the 2:35 mark, 1 basket & then 2 blocks.

Nice find of this clip. She gets two excellent blocks and takes a low post pass and converts. She also looks significantly quicker than the other bigs on the team. I don’t know that she has a midrange game or what sort of passer she is.

Reaction Score
If only there was a great academic school with a rebuilding basketball program that could use her size and skills for the final three years of her eligibility and that also is reviving its dormant volleyball program in ’25 where she could use her final two years of eligibility. Let me think on it a bit, and I’ll see if I can come up with a list of such schools. :D

Reaction Score
Maggie Mendelson's high school recruiting page indicates that she was a 4 star BB recruit that rated a 95. Her position rank was #6 & her overall rank was #22. Her scouting report is very complimentary about her BB skills.

If Geno were interested in a big he'd probably ask her to visit & to try out by doing a workout.
She could have more potential then her freshman stats indicate.

2022-2023 Nebraska individual stats:
Your information on her high school rankings show more potential, but lets not compare her freshmen stats to Betts. Betts played few minutes, but her stats per minute, her PER and other stats were not poor, in fact they were exceptional, probably better than 95% of the starting C's in division 1. She clearly would have started for all but 5-10 division 1 teams.

Cardosa was similarly one of the best C's in the country and didn't start either, but Dawn found more reasons to team her in combination with Boston than Tara did with Brink and Betts. Both Betts and Cardosa had superstars ahead of them, and they knew that when they arrived. I'm guessing that they considered going against Brink and Boston everyday in practice would be very beneficial in their development, and they would start in time, but perhaps betts expected to see more action than she did.

Reaction Score

I like that Maggie Mendelson stays with the play, keeps her hands high, and really seems to
enjoy being on the court with her teammates. NICE!

Reaction Score
If only there was a great academic school with a rebuilding basketball program that could use her size and skills for the final three years of her eligibility and that also is reviving its dormant volleyball program in ’25 where she could use her final two years of eligibility. Let me think on it a bit, and I’ll see if I can come up with a list of such schools. :D
From the looks of your ativar, I suspect your list of schools begins at the end of the alphabet... maybe "V"??

Reaction Score
My wish is to have both Sarah and Ari. But since you asked.... If Arianna is not to come to UCONN, my guess is
UCLA or Oregon. Cori is developing a " culture" out in L.A. and maybe if the younger BETTS does not follow Lauren it
would be a possible " fit " for Arianna. I like Oregon, because... I like Oregon.... and
they missed out on their next great big because of the injuries to Sedona Prince. It is tough to speculate because
I want her to have a great career in Storrs.
I believe it shall be another Geno's RABBITS--like Dorka. I'm thinking a transfer of European. For this season. I believe next season, Geno will romp all over Europe and China for a 6 ft 5 player that can defend/ rebound and score a bit. The fire power is in the guards and forwards.

Reaction Score
If UConn gets a non-scoring rebounder the first thing some posters will say is UConn is playing four against five. UConn needs both, although next season's team should have enough scorers to accommodate a non-scoring rebounder.
I'd be happy with your choice--above. A rebounder/defender only needs to drop the easy ones. The guard and forwards will handle the scoring--if-- if -- only some one will take it off the boards.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m sorry guys. Four scorers and one rebounder/defender doesn’t work in modern basketball. You might get away with a Big who doesn’t score for awhile, but if you’re thinking about winning a championship, you have to put 5 scorers on the floor. That doesn’t mean they all have to be able to knock down 3’s. But they all have to be able to put pressure on opposing defenses in some way, shooting, posting up or attacking the basket.

Reaction Score
If UConn gets a non-scoring rebounder the first thing some posters will say is UConn is playing four against five. UConn needs both, although next season's team should have enough scorers to accommodate a non-scoring rebounder.

If we’re in need of a non-scoring rebounder, my pick would be Ellie Mitchell from Princeton.

Had 19 rebounds against Villanova. 2X Ivy League Defensive Player of the Year. I wonder if she’ll be going the Grad-xfer route like Chen.

IMG_6122.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle