UConn Recruiting | Page 15 | The Boneyard

UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No need for a transfer with Morgan and Allie. They both are so good that they could be starting by December...
At point guard? I don't think so. Even though Paige is playing 1-4 at various parts of the season, next year her position is likely to be PG with KK. If Paige leaves along with Nika, KK would be the only proven PG, hence a possible interest in Chen.

Allie appears to be a SG, and Morgan looks very versatile but probably best at SF IMO.

Reaction Score
Would rather see a shooting guard playing the point than Paige playing the 4. Give UConn two good inside players with the upcoming few years of guard recruits and would bet good money we are in the final 4.

Reaction Score
If Paige departs which I don't expect, Chen at Princeton might be a good 1 year fix. I believe Ivy League players can't use the extra year, at least in their conference, but in addition to Carla being the coach, there I think Husky Nan or someone said she was being followed by Morgan.

If Paige returns to team up with KK at the point, I doubt if there would be that much interest, but certainly if she doesn't.
If Paige and Nika both leave, Chen will be heavily recruited.

Reaction Score
With my post I wasn’t referring to next season but the season after. I know that there are a lot of awesome wings and posts. But, another point is needed. Kk will be a junior and Kelis a sophomore. Can’t ever have enough guards. I would love to see a handful of players listed here join our team. Geno please reach out and find another MoJeff.

Reaction Score
Would rather see a shooting guard playing the point than Paige playing the 4. Give UConn two good inside players with the upcoming few years of guard recruits and would bet good money we are in the final 4.
I think Ashlyn could be a very good point guard, when she has the ball and she’s not shooting, she distributes it very well.

Reaction Score
UConn needs to sign another point guard. If Paige stays that helps. KK will be a sophomore. Ines a junior. Kelis arrives the following year. We have a group of talented guards and wings. Thinking ahead are KK; Kelis and Ines enough two years from now?

Morgan Cheli is a PG. She’ll probably play 1-3 at UConn, but she can for sure run an offense (see highlights from her Championship game, she made some Paige-like passes).

Reaction Score
If Paige departs which I don't expect, Chen at Princeton might be a good 1 year fix. I believe Ivy League players can't use the extra year, at least in their conference, but in addition to Carla being the coach, there I think Husky Nan or someone said she was being followed by Morgan.

If Paige returns to team up with KK at the point, I doubt if there would be that much interest, but certainly if she doesn't.
oldhusky- - -Whether Paige returns for her Covid year UCONN should definitely pursue Kaitlyn Chen! She'd bring talent at PG and needed leadership qualities!

Reaction Score
No need for a transfer with Morgan and Allie. They both are so good that they could be starting by December...
Perhaps no need of an extra "transfer" with MORGAN and ALLIE coming. But an extra PG as a
backup may be indicated.? KK is the next full time PG but is the backup for next year AZZI, ASH?
I think that INES is the one " true" PG, the others, IMO, are shooting guards and wings. Paige
being a returnee is the BIG QUESTION (would she stay to be a second PG or a SG??) ... of course,
"positionless BB" is the best concept to answer these questions. My Prognostication is for SARAH
STRONG (taking Aaliyah's place) and (maybe) an "early" transfer big. The question is do we need a
BIG with JANA and, I'm hoping, an effective
ICE and Amari and Yanna.?? It all looks good on paper.... BUT, things never seem to turn out like I hope it will!

Reaction Score
Morgan Cheli is a PG. She’ll probably play 1-3 at UConn, but she can for sure run an offense (see highlights from her Championship game, she made some Paige-like passes).
I assume that you are correct! I thought of Morgan as a SG or wind? If she can be a COMBO guard ( 1- 3 )
all the better! She had a very fine game at the NIKE CHAMPIONSHIPS. CONGRATS TO MORGAN, MITTY,
and McKenna!

Reaction Score
At point guard? I don't think so. Even though Paige is playing 1-4 at various parts of the season, next year her position is likely to be PG with KK. If Paige leaves along with Nika, KK would be the only proven PG, hence a possible interest in Chen.

Allie appears to be a SG, and Morgan looks very versatile but probably best at SF IMO.
I AGREE!

Reaction Score
I think Ashlyn could be a very good point guard, when she has the ball and she’s not shooting, she distributes it very well.
YES, and she is not TURNOVER prone. I just think of her as a SG. Catch and shoot, and drive for intermediate
jumpers. At 5 ' 10" her " pro potential " may be PG??.. but IMO she is not in the Mold of KK and those ULRA FAST,
PGs you see.

Reaction Score
I assume that you are correct! I thought of Morgan as a SG or wind? If she can be a COMBO guard ( 1- 3 )
all the better! She had a very fine game at the NIKE CHAMPIONSHIPS. CONGRATS TO MORGAN, MITTY,
and McKenna!
The nice thing about that versatility is it means she could be used to substitute for any of our perimeter players, and perhaps even at the 4 on occasions in another small ball lineup. In many ways her use could be similar to Evina, who was used 1-4 while she was here. Also like Evina, I don't think PG is Morgan's best position, at least at a high division 1 level, but it is nice to know she could be say a good third option there, behind probably Paige and KK, but ahead of Ines, with of course the possibility of being the principle backup if Paige doesn't come back or there is an injury to either Paige or KK.

Regardless talented and versatile multi-position players usually find a role somewhere, and are even more valuable when injuries hit multiple positions. I think passers also have an easier transition to top college programs. Most high recruits dominate their team's scoring and then have to adjust to being just one of the pieces in the offense, not the featured attraction. Morgan is already known for her passing and unselfishness so I think she comes in further down the learning curve than many.

Reaction Score
YES, and she is not TURNOVER prone. I just think of her as a SG. Catch and shoot, and drive for intermediate
jumpers. At 5 ' 10" her " pro potential " may be PG??.. but IMO she is not in the Mold of KK and those ULRA FAST,
PGs you see.
Agree that Ash could be a PG but better likelihood of a championship if everyone played the position they are best suited for.

Reaction Score
The nice thing about that versatility is it means she could be used to substitute for any of our perimeter players, and perhaps even at the 4 on occasions in another small ball lineup. In many ways her use could be similar to Evina, who was used 1-4 while she was here. Also like Evina, I don't think PG is Morgan's best position, at least at a high division 1 level, but it is nice to know she could be say a good third option there, behind probably Paige and KK, but ahead of Ines, with of course the possibility of being the principle backup if Paige doesn't come back or there is an injury to either Paige or KK.

Regardless talented and versatile multi-position players usually find a role somewhere, and are even more valuable when injuries hit multiple positions. I think passers also have an easier transition to top college programs. Most high recruits dominate their team's scoring and then have to adjust to being just one of the pieces in the offense, not the featured attraction. Morgan is already known for her passing and unselfishness so I think she comes in further down the learning curve than many.
I think Cheli may be very effective playing a Caroline Ducharme-like role in the offense with the added ability to also play both guard positions...

Reaction Score
I understand that this has a very low probability to happen, but instead of Geno signing a one-year eligible transfer, what about one of the better frosh or soph bigs coming in as Dorka did. I watch a lot of women's college basketball and without getting into names, there are several strong players performing well for relatively little-known schools particularly in the Midwest. Even if you aren't thinking of going pro, the ability to graduate as part of the UConn/Geno brand, networking with the best and brightest in basketball, and potential NIL money would be worth the risk to many. Takes a special person to transfer to UConn but suspect they are out there.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I understand that this has a very low probability to happen, but instead of Geno signing a one-year eligible transfer, what about one of the better frosh or soph bigs coming in as Dorka did. I watch a lot of women's college basketball and without getting into names, there are several strong players performing well for relatively little-known schools particularly in the Midwest. Even if you aren't thinking of going pro, the ability to graduate as part of the UConn/Geno brand, networking with the best and brightest in basketball, and potential NIL money would be worth the risk to many. Takes a special person to transfer to UConn but suspect they are out there.
Like her?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Seh can't play for Nebraska yet she can play for UCONN?

I highly doubt it.
This is what the portal mainly looks like. What’s more, if we accept Mendelson she’ll be in the scholarship list for three years. Geno seems mainly to prefer seniors and grad students.

Dorka was a very unusual find. A grad transfer who made the rotation right away and became almost indispensable in her second season. I don’t see any potential transfers like her on the horizon.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
This is what the portal mainly looks like. What’s more, if we accept Mendelson she’ll be in the scholarship list for three years. Geno seems mainly to prefer seniors and grad students.

Dorka was a very unusual find. A grad transfer who made the rotation right away and became almost indispensable in her second season. I don’t see any potential transfers like her on the horizon.
It's a little early for that, isn't it? We don't know who else will enter the portal.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I do not recall Geno having a two sport player on the basketball team. I’ve always been under the impression that if you wanted to play for Geno you couldn’t be a two way player. Mendelson’s primary sport appears to be volleyball and there would be plenty of contenders who would want her as a volleyball player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom