UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle | Page 17 | The Boneyard

UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle

Reaction Score
I wonder if an NIL collective should require a player to pay back the money if they transfer out?
Was just wondering about this as well. NIL could going down the path of contracts for pro athletes like pro sports where kids have to make long term commitments if they want the big NIL.

This free agency everywhere stuff is just insane.

Reaction Score
There will be kids available in the portal.. UConn isn't the only school losing kids to the portal.

At this point who knows if it's a net positive or negative...but Mora's approach has to resonate with some kids who care not only about money but culture and education.
Just need it to translate wins

Reaction Score
Starting to agree.
There’s no allegiance to the school, these are not students, and if the NFL had these same rules, the owners would raise holy hell. This model isn’t sustainable and only big market teams would win.

I don’t blame the players. The adults in charge have let this get out of hand.
The selfish greedy adults

Reaction Score
Was just wondering about this as well. NIL could going down the path of contracts for pro athletes like pro sports where kids have to make long term commitments if they want the big NIL.

This free agency everywhere stuff is just insane.
Well, just look at it this way. Next year the players entering the portal will dry up. Everyone any good hit the portal this year. No one is gonna want to sit a year.

Reaction Score
The sad reality is that no matter how much money Hoosiers Connect and Hoosiers For Good comes up with and spends on football players, Indiana is never going to break into the upper echelon of the Big 10. Not as long as Michigan, Ohio St., Penn St., Michigan St. and Iowa are around.

Indiana's had 3 winning seasons in the past 30 years. They've finished no higher than tied for 4th in the B1G prior to the conference splitting into two divisions, and no higher than 4th in their division since the B1G went to divisions in 2011 (with the exception of the covid year 2020, where they ended 6-2 and in 2nd place in the East Division). With the exception of the covid year, they've finished above .500 in conference play once in 30 years. They've only been to 5 bowl games in the past 30 years, and they lost all 5.

It's an arms race that Indiana is never going to win, or never even come close to being in the upper echelon. Yet, their supporters are going to shell out millions over the next few years. At what point in the next few years are those supporters going to say "why are we doing this?" It's just not a sustainable model.

And I'm not picking on Indiana, just responding to the post about IU. You can substitute any lower level team in a P4 conference - Rutgers, Illinois, Vanderbilt, Syracuse, Boston College, Arizona St., etc.
This is true. Water always finds its level. There is gonna come a time when money will be deployed in a much more smart manner at these schools.

But, right now, it’s a new market and no one knows what they can promise. I think these NILs should find a way to get paid back if leave early. There has to be a financial penalty for this, like any other business.

I like the idea of a transfer fee. Tennessee pays UConn $1 million for Joly’s rights.

Reaction Score
Honestly I’m losing hope for next year at this point. Unless we load up on JUCO transfers I can’t see winning more than couple games

Reaction Score
I’m gonna write a movie script about a farm system football school like UConn being so well coached by a Henry Winkler Waterboy type and going on a magical Disney movie run and then beats the major league team feeding them the second tier talent (Alabama) in the championship.

Then after winning the national championship, UConn fans celebrate at a sold out Rent. The entire team busses in from Bradley and is on the field except for Winkler who is at Damelios place in LA going over what players we are going to poach from Alabama.

UConn fight song plays as we fade to black.

All proceeds from the movie go to Mora’s, Hurley’s, Cavanaugh’s, and penders programs.

Reaction Score
When I was 18 I considered myself an adult. I dont think of them as kids. They are young adults, and know nothing, but I expect them to behave like adults.

I give all high school graduates the same respects as I would a 50 year old.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I’m gonna write a movie script about a farm system football school like UConn being so well coached by a Henry Winkler Waterboy type and going on a magical Disney movie run and then beats the major league team feeding them the second tier talent (Alabama) in the championship.

Then after winning the national championship, UConn fans celebrate at a sold out Rent. The entire team busses in from Bradley and is on the field except for Winkler who is at Damelios place in LA going over what players we are going to poach from Alabama.

All proceeds from the movie go to Mora, Hurley, Cavanaugh, and penders programs.

Edibles, blunt, or pipe?

Reaction Score
Ruelas is leaving because the coaches have a crush on a kicker with a dead leg, who he is better than.

Really bums me out we chased away a local kid with a good story who was good because of some weird favoritism
Ruelas was a walk on and McFadden was a recruited kicker. I don’t think Ruelas was on scholarship and I doubt many teams would have more than 1 kicker on scholarship.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
When I was 18 I considered myself an adult. I dont think of them as kids. They are young adults, and know nothing, but I expect them to behave like adults.

I give all high school graduates the same respects as I would a 50 year old.

'Even most students don't consider themselves adults.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Slight amendment-he's G5 third string cannon fodder at QB.

-Too short
-Lacks arm strength
-Lacks accuracy

Probably should switch to CB or Y&ou WR.
You should not talk about things you don't know much about. He has a good arm and is a winner. If you looked at some of the best quarterbacks in college are the same height as he is.

Reaction Score
I wonder if an NIL collective should require a player to pay back the money if they transfer out?
i mean presumably the money would be year to year and would be given at specific times. Also, its always at the discretion of the giver. If its a contract to satisfy certain terms, fine. If its a wad of cash in the parking lot once every few weeks, whatever.

In the end, what's to pay back, they aren't being paid for the future.

Reaction Score

All proceeds from the movie go to Mora’s, Hurley’s, Cavanaugh’s, and penders programs.
I think that you watched "Little Giants" one too many times,,,lol
Rick Moranis would be proud!

Reaction Score
'Even most students don't consider themselves adults.

I teach high school seniors. They are adults-in-training. One of the things I am told is that they appreciate that I treat them like adults and set my expectations accordingly. However, I cut them some slack when they make immature decisions. Hence the “in-training” part. There are consequences but I also use any bad decisions as teachable moments. Believe me, there is ample opportunity. Brain research has shown that while the amygdala, which regulates emotion, is fully developed by the teen years, frontal cortex, which in part regulates executive functioning, is not fully mature until about 25 or so. Their tendency is to make decisions based on emotion without a logical inner voice saying, “That may not be a great idea.” Explains a lot of the stupid decisions I made in high school/college!

I think HCJM’s approach this week has been spot on. In Mora I trust.

Reaction Score
Ruelas was a walk on and McFadden was a recruited kicker. I don’t think Ruelas was on scholarship and I doubt many teams would have more than 1 kicker on scholarship.
Correct- no scholarship so no reason to stay

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
The antiquated yet quaint notion that kids are suiting up for the glory of good old State U, is long gone from div 1 college athletics (well, the TV sports anyway). Ruined mostly by TV money I think. Fans pretend that isn't true but the illusion is becoming more difficult to sustain; and that illusion is what keeps the fans engaged. If an NFL system of euro style junior teams replaced the schools, who would care enough to watch? We kid ourselves that the p4/g5 are even playing the same sport as Trinity or Wesleyan

Reaction Score
I don’t know about that but I’m sure they cancel deals pretty much at will. Michigan State’s NIL group just cancelled something like 35 NIL contracts though I don’t know the details.

Reaction Score
Of course the kids want money. But they also want glory. For the right price, anyone would sit on the bench. But this isn't a new thing either - before NIL there were always 5 4* backs at USC even though most of them didn't get to play when they easily could have starred at a lower P5 or G5 school. Some will sit at a big school forever and some care about playing. This will settle out over time IMHO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom