UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle | Page 16 | The Boneyard

UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle

Reaction Score
Is it really a bad look? I think it's just the future reality for programs like us. We can't afford to drop massive NIL on a player like Joly who can't fix the offense by himself. Also, players, like coaches, will now use programs like ours and other low tier programs as a spring board to better offers/programs. It's the reality that we all need to accept. Last year these departures would have me freaking out. Now I just shrug. It's sad but true.

As a fan, there's no more rooting for players, it's just rooting for the university.
I’ll root for whomever is wearing our uniform. Unless their next uniform is professional, that’s as far as my interest will go.

Reaction Score
Not sure if basketball is benefiting, we just lost 2 high level recruits to Duke and I’d bet NIL had something to do with it.

All the reports were nil had nothing to do with it, our offer was right there, at least for Flagg. We’ve also never really beaten out duke for that level recruit pre-nil.

We were able to poach 2 key pieces on last years championship team, one of which is one of our best players this year. One of our other best players this year we were able to poach from a big 10 team. Without these guys we don’t have a title last year and this year we’re probably not much more than a tourney team

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Love the way Mora is handling this. Will pay dividends in the long run.
I also have noticed Mora talking to a lot of opposing players after games.

I think Mora just enjoys the mentorship element of the game. Even with the frustrations of the portal, he still cares about doing the right thing for the kids. Edsall would blame the way kids are today...Mora blames the process and looks for solutions.

I like Mora's approach to these things.

Reaction Score
I also have noticed Mora talking to a lot of opposing players after games.

I think Mora just enjoys the mentorship element of the game. Even with the frustrations of the portal, he still cares about doing the right thing for the kids. Edsall would blame the way kids are today...Mora blames the process and looks for solutions.

I like Mora's approach to these things.
Well, with all the players leaving and only 12 commits, I hope he has a process

Reaction Score
The system is worse than it was before thanks to NIL. Honestly, it's one thing for players to leave because they aren't geting playing time. If we're losing guys like Joly and Ruelas because they're good and can get better FBS offers and more NIL $$, then it's pretty much over for UConn football at the FBS level. In basketball we can survive like this; in football, no way. The hole we're in is too deep.

Reaction Score
The system is worse than it was before thanks to NIL. Honestly, it's one thing for players to leave because they aren't geting playing time. If we're losing guys like Joly and Ruelas because they're good and can get better FBS offers and more NIL $$, then it's pretty much over for UConn football at the FBS level. In basketball we can survive like this; in football, no way. The hole we're in is too deep.
Agreed. NIL, as originally described to me was basically supposed to be commission/percentage of money the school made, not the pre-NFL payouts. It's not even college anymore.

Reaction Score
I think there l is a chance to get talented young players from P5. Why go to BC and sit on the bench for three years? Come here and play. You blow up? U can leave.
Some of the P5 guys that have come here have made zero impact. Thinking of Ethon Williams that came in from BC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Is it really a bad look? I think it's just the future reality for programs like us.
yeah, I think it is. It's effectively designating us to AAA ball club.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Well, with all the players leaving and only 12 commits, I hope he has a process
There will be kids available in the portal.. UConn isn't the only school losing kids to the portal.

At this point who knows if it's a net positive or negative...but Mora's approach has to resonate with some kids who care not only about money but culture and education.

Reaction Score
I wonder if even a modestly successful season would have encouraged some guys to stick around, or if these are all 100% NIL-based transfers no matter what our record was. IMO, as soon as the PAT got blocked against Utah State and we became 0-5, the rest of the season effectively became a 7-week audition for larger programs to poach the remaining talent.
It's all about the money all over the country.

Reaction Score
I agree 100 percent. The top tier teams will continue to excel and add in 4 Pac 10 teams and the gauntlet gets tougher. Iowa, Wisconsin will have winning records most years

My point is - if B1G Ten teams pour millions and millions of dollars into their football programs- how does a University like UConn attract any attention from players or coaches for its football program? As stated- it's just not a sustainable model for 90 percent of schools
I get what you’re saying but it isn’t sustainable for anybody but a handful. When the coach at LSU is complaining and the coach at Nebraska is saying a quarterback is $1 million and K State and Michigan State both lose ALL there quarterbacks you really have to wonder for whom is this viable. Look at the list of quarterbacks in the portal. It isn’t guys who are moving for playing time. Guys who aren’t all that great are going to get megabucks and will continue to be not that great.

Reaction Score
I understand that donors have been contributing to school's athletic department's for generations, but athletic department funds and NIL collective funds are two entirely separate things. Athletic department funds cannot be used to pay players directly. Sure, they are used for scholarships, but they can't be used for the straight up cash that is given to players.

Is Joe Hoosier, who gives $100,000 to the athletic department every year, now going to fork over an additional $100,000 to the NIL collective for football? Maybe, but at which point does Joe question why he's doing so when the football team continues to mire in mediocrity.
I’m not saying there won’t be a breaking point. But I am pointing out that IU donors have had to give more and more money over time even without NIL, and even while their team only rarely was competitive. Whether the next “we need more” check goes to the school or a NIL, who cares? Why would they care? And is IU now going to finish worst than last in the new environment?

Reaction Score
People embracing the idea of becoming Alabama’s development league team is disgusting. Why don’t we just rebrand the university as “Alabama Jr” at that point? Cowards.
So long as we're outside of a power conference then we have no leverage whatsoever in football and will continue to lose tons of players to the portal every year. I would 100% be in favor of some arrangement where Bama, LSU, Georgia, Michigan, etc. send us their 4* guys that would typically be redshirted or on the bench for 1 or 2 years to start and get playing time and then they head off to their respective schools. It would make us bowl eligible every year at the very least and then give us some guys to root for at the top programs once they leave. I wish I was being sarcastic, but this would honestly be a huge win for us.

Reaction Score
Ruelas probably left because he was the better kicker who we refused to play. Why would he stay to ride the bench at UConn when he could probably be kicking for a lot of good teams?

Reaction Score
Agreed. NIL, as originally described to me was basically supposed to be commission/percentage of money the school made, not the pre-NFL payouts. It's not even college anymore.
Whoever described that you was woefully wrong. This was never about schools paying players money. this was always about private pay to players akin to sponsorships however in pros there's no real incentive for third parties to just give raw cash. Presumably somebody could.

Reaction Score
Ruelas is leaving because the coaches have a crush on a kicker with a dead leg, who he is better than.

Really bums me out we chased away a local kid with a good story who was good because of some weird favoritism

Reaction Score
Ruelas is leaving because the coaches have a crush on a kicker with a dead leg, who he is better than.

Really bums me out we chased away a local kid with a good story who was good because of some weird favoritism
I agree that Ruelas is better. See my post above. But to be fair to McFadden, he was pretty good before his surgery. He hasn't been the same since, however, and obviously isn't fully recovered (if he'll ever be.) I wonder if they kept expecting him to turn the corner?...

Reaction Score
Some of the kids entering the portal will end up staying at their current school, if my understanding is correct. With so many players entering, maybe a higher percentage will remain than we think. The grass is alwyas greener, until you're sweating your balls off in 110 heat with splinters in your arse.

Reaction Score

I like that they’re loyal to injured players, but competition on the field needs to determine who plays. They need to be trying to recruit over everyone, every year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom