UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle | Page 19 | The Boneyard

UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle

Reaction Score
You should not talk about things you don't know much about. He has a good arm and is a winner. If you looked at some of the best quarterbacks in college are the same height as he is.
LOL, no I'm sure I'm right.

Watch and see where he ends up and whether he's starting next year.

Reaction Score
stan cross, durante jones, kaleb anthony, nick harris , tui-brown, alfred chea, jaylen jones, langston hardy, bectle, yakiri wlaker, niemenski, price yates. joe the kicker,guordine and more that mora got to recommit ie. dimon brinson, Branch...

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I really like idea of the money being contingent on the player staying with the school.

You sign your 4 year contract as a freshman for X dollars.

After your sophomore year of dominance, you enter the portal and get offered 3X more dollars to play for Y school.

As part of the contract you signed as a freshman, you must pay back the money to the collective(s) that signed you for the transfer to be approved.

This would allow collectives to at least be able to reallocate that money into a different player, not being left stranded with no options.

What’s the downside of this?

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
This is a dumb question, so forgive me, but are these players entering the portal because they don’t get enough playing time (like Turner) or because they think they can do better (like Joly)? In other words, how concerned should we be to see these players leaving UConn?
Not dumb at all, and someone else will answer more lucidly than I. Still, my answers to your question are: yes for Turner, yes for Joly, and very highly concerned for the last part.

I know people have been saying that players who are moving on after shining here will bring positive attention to the program, but I look at it more negatively. Their leaving (in Joly's case) symbolizes a lack of confidence in our program to sustain them, and they don't want to be affiliated with UConn. It's the jilted lover mentality, but I take each portal defection as an indictment on the school. In short, if they don't believe in us, even though they gained some success here, why would someone else come in their place? Attrition is natural, but this is not sustainable given our lack of success and finances.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I really like idea of the money being contingent on the player staying with the school.

After your sophomore year of dominance, you enter the portal and get offered 3X more dollars to play for Y school.

As part of the contract you signed as a freshman, you must pay back the money to the collective(s) that signed you for the transfer to be approved.

This would allow collectives to at least be able to reallocate that money into a different player, not being left stranded with no options.

I have not looked into any the details on NIL contracts, but I would think everything happens under contingent installments such as:
$X for signing
$Y on a weekly or monthly basis DURING the football season. No $Y once you enter the portal.
The contract is by season....ends in December or after your last bowl game. No multi year.
Maybe there is a spring roster and summer roster bonus or something. Probably a bowl game bonus too.

Just my guess.

Anyone dishing out NIL money that isn't spread over time and contingent on staying with the team is nutz.

Players -of course- push for as much signing bonus as possible.

Reaction Score
That was a joke, right?
Until we start expecting 18 year olds to behave like adults they will not. In HS there are boys' and girls' sports. In college, men's and women's. Full stop.

Sorry to be so old fashioned.

Reaction Score
Until we start expecting 18 year olds to behave like adults they will not. In HS there are boys' and girls' sports. In college, men's and women's. Full stop.

Sorry to be so old fashioned.
So true. Many are raised with the only virtue being getting what’s mine.. loyalty, commitment and paying your dues are for old fashioned fools.

Reaction Score
The transfer portal is going SuperNova this year. I cannot believe the number of kids transferring......those that thought the COVID years would have a one time inflationary effect are gonna be in for a big surprise.

It's like if you registered any sort of fair to middling stat line in the '23 season you're shopping it. Unreal. The QBs alone.....Mora should legit be able to throw a dart and pick off no less than two kids. There's no reason to go into next season without an actual-factual viable signal caller.

Interior offensive line looks to be a particularly fertile position group this year.

Somebody get the Mashantuckets and Mohegans on he phone STAT.

Reaction Score
The transfer portal is going SuperNova this year. I cannot believe the number of kids transferring......those that thought the COVID years would have a one time inflationary effect are gonna be in for a big surprise.

It's like if you registered any sort of fair to middling stat line in the '23 season you're shopping it. Unreal. The QBs alone.....Mora should legit be able to throw a dart and pick off no less than two kids. There's no reason to go into next season without an actual-factual viable signal caller.

Interior offensive line looks to be a particularly fertile position group this year.

Somebody get the Mashantuckets and Mohegans on he phone STAT.
About 2100 kids transfered last year.

Reaction Score
I think UMess' entire team entered the portal over the past three days. UTEP with Dimel's dismissal has lost its entire offense.

Reaction Score
I would think this is 1099 income rather than w-2....not that the distinction matters for your point that it is documented and reported income. Kids are about to learn about the tax man.
Yes, that was my point. Sorry if I referenced the wrong form

Reaction Score
Can’t say I’m surprised by Kevin Clercius going. Last year, he made two of the three biggest plays our offense made to get us to 6-6. The long sideline reception against Fresno and the late post TD against Liberty (the third being Jolly’s run after catch for the early TD against BC). This year, he barely got a sniff while we lost game after game running out Porter who contributed very very little. One weird part of the year is how many players who helped us to 6-6 last year got buried on the bench while we started 1-9. Again, maybe each individual move made sense but very weird.

Reaction Score
Can’t say I’m surprised by Kevin Clercius going. Last year, he made two of the three biggest plays our offense made to get us to 6-6. The long sideline reception against Fresno and the late post TD against Liberty (the third being Jolly’s run after catch for the early TD against BC). This year, he barely got a sniff while we lost game after game running out Porter who contributed very very little. One weird part of the year is how many players who helped us to 6-6 last year got buried on the bench while we started 1-9. Again, maybe each individual move made sense but very weird.
Have to say i totally agree here. He was buried behind a bunch of transfers who did very little. Porter and Burns? Really?

Reaction Score
Yes, that was my point. Sorry if I referenced the wrong form
If it's 1099 income they can offset it on their 1040 with all kinds of expenses. W2 income is THE WORST type of income from a tax perspective.

Reaction Score

The downside is you won’t get the player because someone else’s alumni will offer the money without strings attached.

Reaction Score
Clercius drop % in 2022 was 17.2% which is way too high plus he had a fumble. And, he had a couple of drops this year so I think the coaches lost confidence. Porter's drop % this year was 4.3%.

Reaction Score
We are speculating that these guys are leaving on their own but Mora did say he needed to have “a number of tough conversations.” I’m going to guess that a few of these guys, Joly for sure, left for greener pastures, but a fair number were “advised” that their future might be brighter elsewhere. The real tell will be who signs at a P4 , who signs at another G5 and who signs at FCS programs.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The big thing is who comes in this week through the portal and how many sign on signing day

Reaction Score
The portal actually opens up on Monday. It has been grad transfers so far.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom