UConn @ BC -- 9/10/16? | Page 12 | The Boneyard

UConn @ BC -- 9/10/16?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
acc+championship+game+crowd+view+2007+empty+stadium+jacksonville+altel+acc+sucks+sux.jpg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Oh good, the Fiesta Bowl conversation again. By far, one of the greatest misreported myths in UConn lore (along with UConn being a poor academic school because of a silly APR metric)
One thing is for sure, this program never caught a break. We should have played the Orange Bowl that year. UConn would have filled the place and acquired a reputation of traveling well. We already had the rep of being good tippers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's one of a million private schools in a city dominated by successful pro sports. I still don't understand why BC fan's argue with why they can't fill their stadium? They're in the ACC for their market. Congrats on getting the Rutgers treatment 10 years before it was cool.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Mr. Conehead, post: 1436921, member: 2141"

Of course, BC fans can’t compare because even after decades as a D1A football team, the Eagles never made it to a BCS bowl.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Boston_College_Eagles_bowl_games[/QUOTE]

While true, the counterpoint could be made that UConn would most likely not have made its one BCS Bowl Game had the BE teams not have left the wholly diminished BE football league by then. UConn's football schedule that BCS season was not exactly murderers row, after several BE teams left, and the Uconn Fiesta Bowl Game blow out loss once there might have exposed this perception that year nationally too. Just sayin'.. ...since it was you that decided to bring up this BCS Bowl Game participation issue among the 2 schools.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Which is the same # of sellouts BC has had in the same time frame (with a significantly better home schedule) when 40% of Alumni were ND fans - see how easy it is to make up %'s of visiting fans.
Seriously, BC can't sell out for Florida State, Clemson, and USC in prime time evening games. Playing UConn would put more total fans in Alumni than any of their ACC games, but BC can continue to keep their head in the sand and enjoy playing Howard and Maine in the same year.

BC also doesn't have the luxury of having 75% of its alumni base in the state, which uconn does, which makes uconns attendance issues even more embarrassing. You're ridiculing someone for not traveling from NJ to Boston but uconn can't draw with the majority of alums in the home state.

I'm not arguing that BC doesn't have an attendance issue, because it does, but since everyone here seems to have a major inferiority complex and the only thing they can attack is BCs attendance, maybe just take a step back and realize that BC still outdraw so uconns apparent "great fan base" every year.

Reaction Score

Of course, BC fans can’t compare because even after decades as a D1A football team, the Eagles never made it to a BCS bowl.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Boston_College_Eagles_bowl_games

While true, the counterpoint could be made that UConn would most likely not have made its one BCS Bowl Game had the BE teams not have left the wholly diminished BE football league by then. UConn's football schedule that BCS season was not exactly murderers row, after several BE teams left, and the Uconn Fiesta Bowl Game blow out loss once there might have exposed this perception that year nationally too. Just sayin'.. ...since it was you that decided to bring up this BCS Bowl Game participation issue among the 2 schools.[/QUOTE]

Translation......as a BC fan I've never enjoyed a BCS bowl as UCONN fans have.

"Would somebody please duck*ing tackle Diamond Ferry" a BC fan......

Reaction Score
I hate BC too, but Jeezzus, some of you people are completely intolerant of opposing fans coming here unless they're smooching our buttcheeks.
While true, there are some intelligent, respectful, insightful UConn football fans on here that are able to make some compelling points that make me stop and think of some angles I had not considered before.

Reaction Score

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Boston_College_Eagles_bowl_games

While true, the counterpoint could be made that UConn would most likely not have made its one BCS Bowl Game had the BE teams not have left the wholly diminished BE football league by then. UConn's football schedule that BCS season was not exactly murderers row, after several BE teams left, and the Uconn Fiesta Bowl Game blow out loss once there might have exposed this perception that year nationally too. Just sayin'.. ...since it was you that decided to bring up this BCS Bowl Game participation issue among the 2 schools.[/QUOTE]

Now you've gone from hot air to bs. The substitution of Louisville, Cincy, USF and UConn for Miami, VPI, BC and Temple did not make the Big EAst a stronger league. Just look at computer compilations. The Big EAst was just as strong after the switch as before, and wasn't materially weaker than the ACC during that period prior to the second round of departures.

Now if I ask nicely will you please go away.

Reaction Score
Translation.as a BC fan I've never enjoyed a BCS bowl as UCONN fans have.

While true, BC has been to 24 Bowl Games, and I have been fortunate to have been to 4 BC Bowl Game victories. ( of their 13 Bowl Game victories ). While not a BCS Bowl game loss experience, my Bowl Game victory experiences are more Bowl Game victory experiences than you have ever experienced, thats for sure.... Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
. The substitution of Louisville, Cincy, USF and UConn for Miami, VPI, BC and Temple did not make the Big EAst a stronger league.
No disagreement with this assessment from me on this point of yours.

Reaction Score
Why shouldn't UConn football, have larger home football attendance than BC football does is the question ( BC has had larger football home attendance the last 2 seasons ). UConn is a much bigger school enrollment wise... has far more UConn alums that live near the home stadium of Uconn than the number of BC alums that live near BC's stadium. Unlike BC, UConn has no nearby sports team competition. No Patriots, No Celtics, no Red Sox, no Bruins. In the state of Connecticut, UConn football is much the only game in town in the fall, with little competition for the sports enthusiast dollar Yet it still can't outsell BC at its home football games. Why do UConn Alums.... and there are tens of thousands of them that live in Connecticut still after graduation.... not support UConn football the way it should ? Neither BC nor UConn need not be pointing fingers at one another regarding football attendance (or Bowl Game attendance ) when NEITHER school has football atteadance it can brag about, if we are honest with ourselves here.
You realise half the state is within an hour and half of Boston and the other within 2 hours of New York City? Not only is that not a good argument. It is a bad argument. Oh and UConn soccer is typically near the top in soccer attendance drawing between 4k and 5k most years. And led the hockey east in attendance last year. Explain again how people from Connecticut should be sitting around staring at a calendar waiting for the next football game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You realise half the state is within an hour and half of Boston and the other within 2 hours of New York City? Not only is that not a good argument. It is a bad argument.
I would not attempt to excuse the tepid home game football attendance by Uconn grads that live close to Hartford because.... " the stadium is 1-2 hours away from Boston, NYC Pro sports teams". Even most Uconn football fans ( Alums, non Alums alike )won't buy this particular excuse for so many thousands of Uconn grads that live nearby the Rent not supporting Uconn football to the degree that they should. BOTH BC and Uconn have far too many grads of their school not supporting their teams. And Uconn has far, FAR more of them that live closer to their stadium than the numbers of BC grads that live as close to their stadium. ( many BC grads live out of the N.E. region ) So I'd be careful of being critical of BC football attendance. Uconn can't say this when their own grads don't support Uconn football the way it should.... and when Uconn's home football attendance is currently less than BC's home football attendance, and has been for going on 3 years now.

Reaction Score
BC Football IS the power in New England College Football. For the last 35 years, 98% of the time, BC has dominated College Football in New England every much as had Uconn Men's Basketball dominated New England College Basketball in the region. Yes, there were a couple of years in these 35 years where Uconn was better in football than BC.... but there were a couple of years in the last 35 years where Uconn Basketball was not the number 1 program in N.E. THAT year too.. But Uconn Basketball is still the best basketball program 98% of the time in N.E., the same way that BC football is the number best college football program in N.E. 98% of the time as well.

As such, Uconn DOES need to negotiate this in terms acceptable to BC.... as BC IS " the power " in N.E....the same way that BC needs to negotiate its football schedules with Notre Dame in a manner that recognizes that ND is " the power " and BC is not " the power " in this relationship. BC would agree to play ND anywhere, anytime, and 12 times a year in South Bend if that gets ND on the BC schedule. Uconn and Umass need BC on its football schedule, far , far more than BC needs Umass or Uconn football on its schedule. So Uconn should make the deal, no matter what it takes, imo

Yawkey, BC football is the power in New England for the last 35 years? Really? I believe Yale Harvard is more important than anything BC does. I believe UConn is the up and coming power. Maybe you BC fans can pretend you are the power, but I think you were never the power. Did anyone ever write books on BC rivalries like authors do on Yale-Harvard? Home and Home for 10 games or nothing.

Reaction Score
Over 10,000 views on a rumor now..... which is more views than Uconn's football rival, football rivalry game ( according to the Head Coach) coming up on Sat. Thats pretty amazing the interest there is on here re. BC. I'm even a bit surprised to see this level of interest. But I like it.... and hope we eventually find this particular rumor to be more accurate than 90% of the rumors we oftentimes hear, accept as truth, but later find out there was no truth, nor any accuracy to the rumor whatsoever.

Reaction Score
Yawkey, BC football is the power in New England for the last 35 years? Reall

Yes. Re. Harvard football, only the Harvard- Yale game means anything in Boston. Harvard football attendance ( and football interest ) in N.E. pales to that of BC football interest. This is not to say that BC football attendance and interest is where it needs to be... just that the Non Harvard- Yale game has such little interest at all among Massachusetts casual sports fans... and the yearly home football attendance figures of BC And Harvard confirm this. Harvard hasn't topped BC 's home football attendance in half a century. And it won't the next 50 years either, imo. Harvard's football games are not even on TV in Boston. Why ? Such little interest, thats why.. That said, I would be in favor of adding Harvard ( and Uconn ) to BC's football schedule for more local interest.

Reaction Score
While true, BC has been to 24 Bowl Games, and I have been fortunate to have been to 4 BC Bowl Game victories. ( of their 13 Bowl Game victories ). While not a BCS Bowl game loss experience, my Bowl Game victory experiences are more Bowl Game victory experiences than you have ever experienced, thats for sure.... Just sayin'.

Translation...

I have no relevant response as to why BC has never played in a BCS bowl and UCOON has, even though BC has been playing D1a football much longer than UCONN.

Carry on....

Reaction Score
Translation...

I have no relevant response as to why BC has never played in a BCS bowl and UCOON has, even though BC has been playing D1a football much longer than UCONN.

Carry on....
I did have a relevant reply on this. Its above. I see no reason to repeat it however now. But its there.... above. Now whether you think its is relevant or not, is in the domain of your opinion, of course.

Reaction Score
I don't know about this. Sure, N.E. College Football is not Hockey, Basketball, etc and so forth. And its not the South, where College Football is king and with lots of programs vying for the " best show in Town ", but BC is still the best in this region of the Country 98% of the time, and it does probably mean a lot to them anyway to want to remain so.
As I said before, I never saw books on BC - Holy Cross rivalry or BC - UMass rivalry, but I do see books on Yale - Harvard. And you say BC is the power. Sorry, Yawkey, but you are wrong..

Reaction Score
This was the guy's second choice, his first choice would be for BC to have a football rotation featuring Boston U and Northeastern.

I think BCU will win those schools, since both DROPPED football. Those games might be close, thou... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
24 Bowl Games?? Wow...Since UConn just moved up, we been bowl eligible most years until PP wrecked the team, now HCBD might make UConn bowl eligible this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom