UConn a 1 Seed???? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn a 1 Seed????

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Also, Mississippi State was a 5 seed in 2016 going against one of the greatest college teams ever. Texas was a low 2 seed going against that same team. UCLA in 2017 was a 4 seed, and Oregon was a 10 seed. None of those teams were as strong as this year's NC State team, a deserving 1 seed.
The 2016 UConn team was one of the greatest of all time. But the 2017 team was a group of overachievers, with limited experience, no size and no depth. Regardless, Sweet 16 teams don’t lose by 60 pts, or even 21, and Elite 8 teams surely don’t lose by 21 or 38 pts. That Oregon team was on a role. They stunned #2 seed MD in the Sweet 16 game. I reiterate, Bridgeport is a bad place to play UConn. :eek:

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Bridgeport is already sold out.
Are not tickets sent out, reserved, to the teams that have played into there? What is sold out are the non reserved seats. Actually just checked there are many open seats.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
probably do the same thing that they did in the Bahamas. Also they can only have 3 of those at the same time, unless you're willing to gamble with 4 guards and take your chances one on one outrebounding Boston.
Azzi was hurt Caroline didn't play, Nika was also hurt, Dorka also.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
We probably need to update that adage unless we want to go back to 2004 and Diana Taurasi. Since then every NCAA champion has been propelled (led) by a front court player. This current UCONN roster has an abundance of guards, I agree including 3 players ( Paige CW, Azzi) that were consensus #1 in HS class + a #2 ( Evina) and a #5 ( Caroline). Better balance, consistency, and front court play are going to be needed if UCONN is truly "back" -to winning championships.
Which champions were led by a team with a low post center without a great/good set of ball handlers?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Which champions were led by a team with a low post center without a great/good set of ball handlers?
Stanford 2021
Baylor 2019
South Carolina 2017
Baylor 2012
Texas A&M 2011
UCONN 2010
TN 2008
TN 2007
Maryland 2006
Baylor 2005

Reaction Score
Wasn't Tennessee #1 overall that year?

Maybe
Also until about 10 years the semi matchups were predetermined and NOT announced on selection day. So you could have had 1vs2 in the semis.
My guess is the NCAA was banking on Oregon/Oregon State being strong. Both programs draw extremely well when their team is doing well.
Worthy of 4 regionals?

Put a regional in Greensboro or Nashville or Atlanta or Memphis and you’ve got tons of schools and fans within driving distance.

The West isn’t even 1/4 of the WCBB market, and yet it gets 1/2 the regionals. Dumb.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Absolutely.
But SC isn’t the same team either.
Actually, I think SC’s formula this season has been remarkably consistent. Play tough defense. Have the guards feed the posts or put up perimeter shots and then crash the boards in waves.

Not suggesting that beating SC is in anyway easy. But imo the key is controlling Henderson & Cooke. Make it tough on them to shoot it and feed their posts and you have a chance, which is exactly what Mizzou did earlier this season.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Stanford 2021
Baylor 2019
South Carolina 2017
Baylor 2012
Texas A&M 2011
UCONN 2010
TN 2008
TN 2007
Maryland 2006
Baylor 2005
Most of these teams had very good ball handlers.

2019 Baylor-Chloe Jackson
South Carolina-Ty Harris
2012 Baylor-Odyssey Sims
A&M-Sydney Colson
2007/2008 Tennessee-Bobbitt/Hornbuckle

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Maybe
Also until about 10 years the semi matchups were predetermined and NOT announced on selection day. So you could have had 1vs2 in the semis.

Worthy of 4 regionals?

Put a regional in Greensboro or Nashville or Atlanta or Memphis and you’ve got tons of schools and fans within driving distance.

The West isn’t even 1/4 of the WCBB market, and yet it gets 1/2 the regionals. Dumb.
Just looked this up, Tennessee was #1 overall, not Notre Dame or UCONN in 2001.

Link

When looking at ND vs UCONN in 2001, both had very similar resumes. Both had 2 losses and split head to head. Notre Dame beat UCONN by 15 or 16 in the regular season, UCONN won on a buzzer beater in the BET. Going into the NCAAs, UCONN was without Ralph/Abrosimova while ND was at full strength. I understand why UCONN fans would feel that deserve the #2 overall ahead of ND but it isn't a noteworthy oversight IMO.

On 2nd thought, the 4 west coast regionals could be timezone related. The two or three hour time difference allows for better spacing and spreading out games for TV viewership. I agree having 3 in the Pacific Northwest is overkill but if the committee is dead set on having 4 in PST, there arent many other options. So Cal is a dead zone for women's sports, Arizona is solid when AZ does well but is hardly a hot spot for women's sports, and aside from that you have Vegas which could work but there's no chance of a home town crowd.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Most of these teams had very good ball handlers.

2019 Baylor-Chloe Jackson
South Carolina-Ty Harris
2012 Baylor-Odyssey Sims
A&M-Sydney Colson
2007/2008 Tennessee-Bobbitt/Hornbuckle
True but the criteria established by @Nick Pignatello was "great/good". All the players listed were good. Ty Harris was a freshman as was Christy Tolliver for MD in 2006 and both would go on to have very good careers. My original point is that it was not the guards that propelled or led those teams to those championships. Since 2004 it has almost always been a front court player or players that led the charge to a championship. Chloe Jackson won the FF MOP in 2019 but it would be hard to make the case that led or propelled Baylor to that championship considering she was not even Big 12 first or second. Just don't see a guard led NCAA champion since DT's last season. The closest might be Arike's ND team in 2018 but that team had Jessica Shepard and Jackie Young dropping 32 on UCONN to enable the Arike late game heroics that got her on late night television. The original premise was "guards win championships" -just don't believe that to be true.

Reaction Score
Agree with you oldude because guards win championships and we have them in abundance. We are also deep down low and we have height we can play at the top of the key. Bottom line is we're healthy and UConn is Back
I disagree, defense wins championships. I don't know how these guards will do defensively against a caliber offensive team. Stanford with so much depth, Nc st with 3 5th year srs I believe with tons of experience, and we already saw what happened when they played South Carolina.

Reaction Score
I will play Captain Obvious, Uconn is good enough to win it all but they also were so last year and frankly every year since 2016. You play who is in front of you, when they are in front of you. The FF draw supposedly broke well for them last year and well, look what happened.
Seedings mean absolutely nothing and if players think they do you have what happened last year. If you are not ready to bring your A game every game, regardless of who, where or when, you lose, end of story.
Yes, matchups matter, but there is not a team in the country Uconn can’t beat and more than a couple that can beat them. And if you have championship aspirations you just need to be ready for it all.

Reaction Score
You can argue seeding all night long but remember 2001, Notre Dame beat UCONN during the season and was seeded #1 and UCONN #2 in the Big East Tournament held at Gampel. The finals were ND vs UCONN and UCONN pulled out the victory on Sue Bird's last second shot!
When the NCAA Committee finished seeding the National Tournament, ND was the overall #1 seed to UCONN's #2 overall seed and when asked why ND was the overall #1 seed when the Chairwoman of the committee was asked how ND was given the #1 seed, she replied "Notre Dame beat UCONN in the Big East Tournament finals!" When told UCONN won the Big East Finals. she said, "Did they?"
So there's no predicting what the committee will do!
Reason goes out the window when the committee gets in that room!
Pretty sure she said “because ND won the big East REGULAR season.” Some uconners got bent out of shape because technically they tied, but ND was the BE #1 seed because of their win over UConn,

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn has only lost 1 game in Bridgeport and that was the 2006 regional final where #1 seed Duke beat #2 seed UConn. UConn was the #2 seed in 2004 in Hartford regional.
I was at that game and Doris Burke was sitting 3 ft IN front of me. A Duke player dribbled over half court and we all screamed and Doris screamed to and no call. There was also a play the Duke made and I cant remember it right now that we all screamed about and not call and UConn lost. The back court call if called may have changed that game.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
2023: Greenville SC and Seattle
2024: Albany and Portland OR
2025: Birmingham and Spokane
2026: Fort Worth and Sacramento

This also proves that the NCAA cares about more than money. Because most of those western regionals are going to stink.
Why on earth the west got exactly half of the regionals for the next 4 years is beyond me. The west has the fewest D1 schools, the fewest major schools, and each western site has only a handful of schools within 500 miles. Just an awful terrible move.

If you wanted to attract fans, then the south should be the region that had 1/2 the regionals.

The NCAA deserves to lose money with nonsense like that.

Reaction Score
Regardless of seeding not putting UCONN in Bridgeport would be one of the stupidest moves the committee has ever made.
The tourney is all about attendance. The NCAA cares about the revenue from these locations. Locations aren’t picked because they have the best parking lots?! It’s the potential of revenue driven by attendance.
UCONN in Bridgeport is a huge revenue generator. Of course, I’m biased as well

Jds

Reaction Score
I was at that game and Doris Burke was sitting 3 ft IN front of me. A Duke player dribbled over half court and we all screamed and Doris screamed to and no call. There was also a play the Duke made and I cant remember it right now that we all screamed about and not call and UConn lost. The back court call if called may have changed that game.
I was there too. The over and back was the killer.

Reaction Score
Actually, I think SC’s formula this season has been remarkably consistent. Play tough defense. Have the guards feed the posts or put up perimeter shots and then crash the boards in waves.

Not suggesting that beating SC is in anyway easy. But imo the key is controlling Henderson & Cooke. Make it tough on them to shoot it and feed their posts and you have a chance, which is exactly what Mizzou did earlier this season.
That's been UConn's strategy going back to when Wilson was at South Carolina. Geno said the reason they were successful against South Carolina was they were able to stop the guards passing in to Wilson. Of course back then we had two defensive pests named Mo and Kia.

Reaction Score
1 seed? 2seed?3seed?

I dont care, if the goal is NC
We need to win it all
If our goal is FF
We still need to win the regional champion first
So we just do our best and go to win it

Period.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors