UConn a 1 Seed???? | The Boneyard

UConn a 1 Seed????

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn will be in Bridgeport thats why the NCAA is having the Regionals there and lets face it what fans from other teams are going to fly to CT to see their team play???? Bridgeport will sell out with UConn there and wont sell out with any other team there. Thats all you need to know. The parking and ticket prices are very high too. UConn is a big money maker for the NCAA and a big money maker for TV. Do you see any other team on TV like you see UConn? I dont think its even a consideration that UConn will be in another region. It would defeat the purpose of have the regionals in CT and not some other place. Next year the NCAA has decided to have the regionals at 4 sites. Lets see how that works out, because I dont think alot of fans can take that much time off to travel, pay for rooms that will be overpriced because of the Regionals and overpriced food to watch their team. Some will most wont.

Should UConn be a 1 seed?

UConns NET is 5 and if you take into consideration what the NCAA has said being that they take injuries into consideration as well as how your playing right now and UConn is playing great and with that point made UConn could be a 1 seed. I dont think that will happen but think about it. If the NCAA is taking injuries into consideration UConn would have only 1 loss. Does it really matter if UConn is a 1 or 2 seed? I dont think so. Look at the way UConn is playing right now with 9 deep and great guards.

Some fans are saying I want to see UConn beat up on a good team like they did the past few games. Really, how many top teams have had a lead of 50+ especially lately? Most top teams have struggled. Some fans are saying UConn is in a weak conference and is beating up on weak teams. How many teams have played schools yourve never heard of like Belmont, Pacific UC Davis Elon Buffalo Wofford Towson IUPUI St Francis ... look at their schedules. The Big East is pretty good and unfairly considered weak. 4 teams should make the NCAAs and maybe 5. If you think not look at some of the top conferences teams that have loosing records in their conference? No conference should be allowed over 5 teams this year. Tenn has lost 3 of their last 4 and is ranked 16 in the polls. Theyve struggled all season when they were healthy.

The Selection Committee is gonna have a really tuff job this season.

Now what team will be ranked above UConn in Bridgeport? What team will be sent to Bridgeport as a 1 seed? Would it be more fair to make UConn a 1 seed in Bridgeport and send the loser of the ACC championship to another region as a 2 seed and bring in a lesser 2 seed to face UConn in Bridgeport? As it stands now either NC State or LVIlle depending on who wins the ACC tourney will end up in Bridgeport. I dont think either teams can come within 15 pts of UConn and it could be more then that. IMO it really doesnt matter who comes to Bridgeport UConn right now is playing at an level higher then any team in WCBB with depth and confidence.

I hope the NCAA uses logic when selecting the top teams to play in their tournament. I have tried to make some points here. Stop reading all the propaganda about UConn being a 3 seed and being sent away to another region I think Ive made my points and I think theyre right on. The selection committee has the final say and I say see you all in Bridgeport.

Reaction Score
I just read UCONN will be in SC, I hope you are right and we see you in Bridgeport

Reaction Score
I'll wait to see the results of the Big East Tournament and
the , hopefully, major upsets in the other Championship
Tournaments. Did you see Baylor demolish Iowa State?
How about Iowa crushing Michigan.? MARCH MADNESS
has already begun. Go Huskies! My friend in Santa
Barbara, a Seton Hall fan, wants the PIrates to win the
BIg East Championship so that " his team" can go to the
BIG DANCE...... We all have dreams.

Jds

Reaction Score
UConn will be in Bridgeport thats why the NCAA is having the Regionals there and lets face it what fans from other teams are going to fly to CT to see their team play???? Bridgeport will sell out with UConn there and wont sell out with any other team there. Thats all you need to know. The parking and ticket prices are very high too. UConn is a big money maker for the NCAA and a big money maker for TV. Do you see any other team on TV like you see UConn? I dont think its even a consideration that UConn will be in another region. It would defeat the purpose of have the regionals in CT and not some other place. Next year the NCAA has decided to have the regionals at 4 sites. Lets see how that works out, because I dont think alot of fans can take that much time off to travel, pay for rooms that will be overpriced because of the Regionals and overpriced food to watch their team. Some will most wont.

UConns NET is 5 and if you take into consideration what the NCAA has said being that they take injuries into consideration as well as how your playing right now and UConn is playing great and with that point made UConn could be a 1 seed. I dont think that will happen but think about it. If the NCAA is taking injuries into consideration UConn would have only 1 loss. Does it really matter if UConn is a 1 or 2 seed? I dont think so. Look at the way UConn is playing right now with 9 deep and great guards.

Some fans are saying I want to see UConn beat up on a good team like they did the past few games. Really, how many top teams have had a lead of 50+ especially lately? Most top teams have struggled. Some fans are saying UConn is in a weak conference and is beating up on weak teams. How many teams have played schools yourve never heard of like Belmont, Pacific UC Davis Elon Buffalo Wofford Towson IUPUI St Francis ... look at their schedules. The Big East is pretty good and unfairly considered weak. 4 teams should make the NCAAs and maybe 5. If you think not look at some of the top conferences teams that have loosing records in their conference? No conference should be allowed over 5 teams this year. Tenn has lost 3 of their last 4 and is ranked 16 in the polls. Theyve struggled all season when they were healthy.

Now what team will be ranked above UConn in Bridgeport? What team will be sent to Bridgeport as a 1 seed? Would it be more fair to make UConn a 1 seed in Bridgeport and send the loser of the ACC championship to another region as a 2 seed and bring in a lesser 2 seed to face UConn in Bridgeport? As it stands now either NC State or LVIlle depending on who wins the ACC tourney will end up in Bridgeport. I dont think either teams can come within 15 pts of UConn and it could be more then that. IMO it really doesnt matter who comes to Bridgeport UConn right now is playing at an level higher then any team in WCBB with depth and confidence.

I hope the NCAA uses logic when selecting the top teams to play in their tournament. I have tried to make some points here. Stop reading all the propaganda about UConn being a 3 seed and being sent away to another region I think Ive made my points and I think theyre right on. The selection committee has the final say and I say see you all in Bridgeport.
I agree that with our NET being 5 and looking at our injuries and how we are now playing it makes little sense that we would drop to a 3 seed. I'm starting to believe that part of the reveal is to create buzz and talk and not give the most accurate picture of what will happen.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The committee can make UCONN a #1 if it takes into account injuries but I don't think that would be fair to the other teams or necessary. I would prefer UCONN to be in the Bridgeport region but it is not mandatory. UCONN is going to have to beat some very good teams starting in the elite 8. UCONN is capable of beating ANY team & SC, Stanford, & Louisville would be the most unfavorable matchups. All the other teams are not as scary. Keep in mind that last year at this time we could have said the same thing and a team like Arizona never crossed our minds.

Reaction Score
I believe the NCAA puts a significant value on conference tournament championships.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The committee can make UCONN a #1 if it takes into account injuries but I don't think that would be fair to the other teams or necessary. I would prefer UCONN to be in the Bridgeport region but it is not mandatory. UCONN is going to have to beat some very good teams starting in the elite 8. UCONN is capable of beating ANY team & SC, Stanford, & Louisville would be the most unfavorable matchups. All the other teams are not as scary. Keep in mind that last year at this time we could have said the same thing and a team like Arizona never crossed our minds.
Frankly SCar is the only team to me. Stanford's backline and Louisville's frontline don't do enough to frighten me. Nevertheless, it's Stanford's style of play that I think, presents the bigger challenge to UConn than the Stanford players themselves.

Reaction Score
I agree that SC and Stanford would be unfavorable matchups prior to a Final Four. I realize that Louisville demolished ND, thrashed Michigan early in the season and already beat UConn, but I believe they are more easily beaten now.

The way to beat Louisville is through superior guard play and getting Emily Engstler into foul trouble. Last year, against Syracuse in the tournament, she was a non factor. Having Paige available, reading and reacting will negate their pressure defense, which is where Louisville generates much of their offense. The ND game notwithstanding, Louis like is not a great outside shooting team, although Hailey Van Lith could make me eat my words.

In the end, it doesn’t matter where UConn is seeded. As a team, they are light years ahead of where they were in December, and all but the most optimistic fans then had a hard time seeing light from the tunnel.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I believe the NCAA puts a significant value on conference tournament championships.
Not all the time. If NC State and Louisville play in the ACC Championship game, they both still will most likely be 1 seeds. And I would think that if one looses before the Championship game, they both might still make it. Some conferences are treated differently than other conferences.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Charlie Creme still has UConn with So Carolina as the #1 Seed. However he said he wouldn't be surprised to see UConn end up as a #2 Seed in Bridgeport. He also said earlier that there were too many B10 and B12 teams in the Top 16 and that's why UConn is not in Bridgeport as a #3 Seed. Has to do with Conference teams not playing each other too early in the tournament.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The committee's consideration of injuries can mitigate the harm of "bad" losses, such as getting blown out by Oregon and losing by double digits to Georgia Tech — both of whom are outside the top 16 — and a Quad 3 loss to Villanova. In fact, I'd say UConn would not be as high as #9 if the committee didn't consider the injuries to some extent.

But the committee can't conjure up quality wins that simply aren't there. UConn's has two good but not great wins over Tennessee and Notre Dame, and after that it's wins over teams on or near the bubble (Creighton, South Florida, Arkansas, etc.). When it comes to comparing UConn's resume to other teams in the top 10, it just comes up a bit thin.

Reaction Score
No actually more the opposite. Those are just games, like any other game.
That said, if a team beats 3 high quality teams on the way to winning the conf champiionship, that can only help their resume.
But the committee has been clear that the regular season matters a lot. Good or bad play on one weekend is not going to significantly change a team's status.

Reaction Score
The result of the Villanova game will absolutely guarantee that UConn will not be a number one seed and will likely be the justification to keep the Huskies on the three seed line. To win the ultimate prize they have to beat everyone they play anyway, regardless of who and when they play. Yes, the way things are set at the moment the run of consecutive final four appearances is in jeopardy but challenges make it all the sweeter when they are overcome.

Reaction Score
The result of the Villanova game will absolutely guarantee that UConn will not be a number one seed and will likely be the justification to keep the Huskies on the three seed line. To win the ultimate prize they have to beat everyone they play anyway, regardless of who and when they play. Yes, the way things are set at the moment the run of consecutive final four appearances is in jeopardy but challenges make it all the sweeter when they are overcome.
UCONN would have crushed Villanova if Paige, ONO, and Caroline had played! There isn't any way UCONN should be lower then a 2 seed.

Reaction Score

Bridgeport is already sold out.

Reaction Score
Bridgeport is already sold out.
Bridgeport is not sold out. I'd say about 85-90% sold. Available tickets are last few rows behind the baskets. I am sure a large percentage of tickets were purchased by UConn fans. If UConn is not in Bridgeport there will be a flood of low price tickets on the secondary market and/or many empty seats

Reaction Score
The committee's consideration of injuries can mitigate the harm of "bad" losses, such as getting blown out by Oregon and losing by double digits to Georgia Tech — both of whom are outside the top 16 — and a Quad 3 loss to Villanova. In fact, I'd say UConn would not be as high as #9 if the committee didn't consider the injuries to some extent.

But the committee can't conjure up quality wins that simply aren't there. UConn's has two good but not great wins over Tennessee and Notre Dame, and after that it's wins over teams on or near the bubble (Creighton, South Florida, Arkansas, etc.). When it comes to comparing UConn's resume to other teams in the top 10, it just comes up a bit thin.

I looks thin to me also. But explain why UConn is No 5 in the NET? NET measures quality of play and SOS so the SC could just as easily say:

"Despite appearances, The NET is quite clear that Uconn is the top 2 seed, especially since their already impressive NET was earned with their top 2 players missing large portions of the season with injuries"

I don't expect that but it's easy to justify a lot of positions. Since I don't have tickets to Bridgeport I have no iron in the fire and UConn has historically played well away from home.

Reaction Score
I like your thinking, Tony. However, there is the unsaid resentment factor about UConn that when UConn is down that will kick in. On the other side of the coin, is to ask how many games would UConn have won if the players they have today would have been available. Someone said that they may be a 2 seed in Bridgeport and that may very well have the highest probability to happen. In any event, they have just as good a chance to win the championship at this point in time as does South Carolina.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I looks thin to me also. But explain why UConn is No 5 in the NET? NET measures quality of play and SOS so the SC could just as easily say:

"Despite appearances, The NET is quite clear that Uconn is the top 2 seed, especially since their already impressive NET was earned with their top 2 players missing large portions of the season with injuries"

I don't expect that but it's easy to justify a lot of positions. Since I don't have tickets to Bridgeport I have no iron in the fire and UConn has historically played well away from home.
What can be said about the NET other than "it just doesn't work that way". The committee has never given the NET/RPI the final word in any selection or seeding decision.

North Carolina is #6 in the NET, but they're not even in the committee's top 16 and no one seems to be calling that unfair. Ditto for BYU (#9), Virginia Tech (#11) and Oregon (#12).

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
UConn will absolutely positively not be a #1 seed.

a-lot-of-dominos.jpg

Reaction Score
What can be said about the NET other than "it just doesn't work that way". The committee has never given the NET/RPI the final word in any selection or seeding decision.

North Carolina is #6 in the NET, but they're not even in the committee's top 16 and no one seems to be calling that unfair. Ditto for BYU (#9), Virginia Tech (#11) and Oregon (#12).
I will. First, nothing is the "final word" in seeding. The NET is in it's second year so there is very little history but the RPI was used over any other tool to seed teams in the past and I'd rather trust the NET over either the RPI or the subjective opinions of the committee. Unlike RPI, the NET factors in the quality of each game, win or lose. UNC is wrong? What about the The committee's thinking Indiana and Tenn are among the top 16 teams. I'll bet that UCF or USF would give either of them a game right now.
Maybe ignore a 14 seed but If they want to ignore a 6th ranking in the NET then they need to explain why. It's their own measure and it's the only analytic they mention. They can't ignore it when they don't like the results.

I prefer algorithms because while created by people they are an unemotional and unbiased judge. Golf, Tennis, Skiing, even table tennis have analytic ranking systems that are the final word to seed in tournaments or to qualify for them. Basketball could do that and be done with committees and their convoluted voting processes. The fact that they keep so much subjectivity in the process smells.

Reaction Score
I don’t think there’s any way they put UConn with SC. I’m pretty sure Dawn would go ballistic, and while they don’t take their marching orders from her, I’m quite sure they don’t want to deal with that unless it’s absolutely necessary, which it does not seem to be. I would bet on UConn as the #2 seed in Bridgeport. I have no doubt they would love to stick it to us in an effort to reduce our chances of yet another Final Four, but I think money and fear of Dawn Staley will outweigh that inclination.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom