UConn a 1 Seed???? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn a 1 Seed????

Reaction Score
I don’t think there’s any way they put UConn with SC. I’m pretty sure Dawn would go ballistic, and while they don’t take their marching orders from her, I’m quite sure they don’t want to deal with that unless it’s absolutely necessary, which it does not seem to be. I would bet on UConn as the #2 seed in Bridgeport. I have no doubt they would love to stick it to us in an effort to reduce our chances of yet another Final Four, but I think money and fear of Dawn Staley will outweigh that inclination.
Why would Dawn be mad if we were in her bracket?

Reaction Score
They'll be the 3 seed that nobody wants to face. UConn will be fine wherever they go! NCAA seeding & ranking are two diff things.

Reaction Score
UConn will be in Bridgeport thats why the NCAA is having the Regionals there and lets face it what fans from other teams are going to fly to CT to see their team play???? Bridgeport will sell out with UConn there and wont sell out with any other team there. Thats all you need to know. The parking and ticket prices are very high too. UConn is a big money maker for the NCAA and a big money maker for TV. Do you see any other team on TV like you see UConn? I dont think its even a consideration that UConn will be in another region. It would defeat the purpose of have the regionals in CT and not some other place. Next year the NCAA has decided to have the regionals at 4 sites. Lets see how that works out, because I dont think alot of fans can take that much time off to travel, pay for rooms that will be overpriced because of the Regionals and overpriced food to watch their team. Some will most wont.

Should UConn be a 1 seed?

UConns NET is 5 and if you take into consideration what the NCAA has said being that they take injuries into consideration as well as how your playing right now and UConn is playing great and with that point made UConn could be a 1 seed. I dont think that will happen but think about it. If the NCAA is taking injuries into consideration UConn would have only 1 loss. Does it really matter if UConn is a 1 or 2 seed? I dont think so. Look at the way UConn is playing right now with 9 deep and great guards.

Some fans are saying I want to see UConn beat up on a good team like they did the past few games. Really, how many top teams have had a lead of 50+ especially lately? Most top teams have struggled. Some fans are saying UConn is in a weak conference and is beating up on weak teams. How many teams have played schools yourve never heard of like Belmont, Pacific UC Davis Elon Buffalo Wofford Towson IUPUI St Francis ... look at their schedules. The Big East is pretty good and unfairly considered weak. 4 teams should make the NCAAs and maybe 5. If you think not look at some of the top conferences teams that have loosing records in their conference? No conference should be allowed over 5 teams this year. Tenn has lost 3 of their last 4 and is ranked 16 in the polls. Theyve struggled all season when they were healthy.

The Selection Committee is gonna have a really tuff job this season.

Now what team will be ranked above UConn in Bridgeport? What team will be sent to Bridgeport as a 1 seed? Would it be more fair to make UConn a 1 seed in Bridgeport and send the loser of the ACC championship to another region as a 2 seed and bring in a lesser 2 seed to face UConn in Bridgeport? As it stands now either NC State or LVIlle depending on who wins the ACC tourney will end up in Bridgeport. I dont think either teams can come within 15 pts of UConn and it could be more then that. IMO it really doesnt matter who comes to Bridgeport UConn right now is playing at an level higher then any team in WCBB with depth and confidence.

I hope the NCAA uses logic when selecting the top teams to play in their tournament. I have tried to make some points here. Stop reading all the propaganda about UConn being a 3 seed and being sent away to another region I think Ive made my points and I think theyre right on. The selection committee has the final say and I say see you all in Bridgeport.
Years ago the Arkansas University Football team was every year invited to post season events. For one reason only--their fans were "mobile", i.e. they'd travel anywhere at any time to watch their team (Arkansas) play. MONEY makes NCAA sports go round and round. Uconn will fill Bridgeport, money. And the NcAA gets their share. I like your again positive dissertation.

Reaction Score
Years ago the Arkansas University Football team was every year invited to post season events. For one reason only--their fans were "mobile", i.e. they'd travel anywhere at any time to watch their team (Arkansas) play. MONEY makes NCAA sports go round and round. Uconn will fill Bridgeport, money. And the NcAA gets their share. I like your again positive dissertation.
The bowls are not the NCAA. Money from a bowl goes to that bowl.

A question: suppose that Princeton and Tennessee were both on the bubble and there's one spot left. Princeton has a stronger resume.

Should the NCAA invite Princeton, with the stronger resume, or Tennessee, which will generate much more revenue in terms of ticket sales and TV ratings?

Jds

Reaction Score
I looks thin to me also. But explain why UConn is No 5 in the NET? NET measures quality of play and SOS so the SC could just as easily say:

"Despite appearances, The NET is quite clear that Uconn is the top 2 seed, especially since their already impressive NET was earned with their top 2 players missing large portions of the season with injuries"

I don't expect that but it's easy to justify a lot of positions. Since I don't have tickets to Bridgeport I have no iron in the fire and UConn has historically played well away from home.

Not quite; about 85% sold out.
And if UConn wasn't in Bridgeport the majority of those seats would be empty. Especially for the regional final on a Monday night.

Reaction Score
I really wish people would relax a little and not get so worked up about the "mock" bracket. It is in fact "MOCK".... it is not real. Everyone freaks out, "Did you see we are going to Greensboro with South Carolina???" Are we? Who said? Someone is making an educated guess. IF UCONN plays UCONN ball like they have of late, I think they will win the Big East Tourney... (sorry Nova).... but look at the other teams who are ahead of UCONN and remember that many of them are in the same conference. According to the Highlander, "There can be only one".... so that means a number of teams are going to lose games between now and Selection Monday. What these losses look like could impact the brackets. A close game or blowout...
If you look at the last "Mock" bracket it had Tennessee as a 2 seed over UCONN. Hello, UCONN crushed Tennessee while short Paige and Caroline if I am not mistaken. There is no way Tennessee should be seeded ahead of UCONN. I could easily see UCONN a 2 seed in Bridgeport. I think the selection committee with focus on geography knowing UCONN is a money maker... they probably will come to realize they want their golden goose close to home.

Reaction Score
And if UConn wasn't in Bridgeport the majority of those seats would be empty. Especially for the regional final on a Monday night.
So?

If the committee only cared about money, the regional finals would be in Storrs, Columbia SC, Knoxville, and Waco every year.

Reaction Score
Although I expect UConn to improve to a Top-8 ranking overall & #2 seed when the field is announced, I don't foresee UConn ending up in Bridgeport, for two reasons: (1) putting them so close to home in an off-year would be unfair to a clearly deserving #1 seed-- likely either NC State or Louisville but possibly Baylor or LSU-- insofar as this team would be essentially playing an imposing road game against the heavy "home team" Huskies, and (2) slotting UConn in Bridgeport puts them on the same side of the bracket as South Carolina, which would eliminate this Championship game matchup potential.

I anticipate the NCAA Committee putting SC on one side of the draw & UConn/Stanford on the other, with all 3 having paths to Minneapolis that do not involve playing each other beforehand.

Having said all of this, the conspiracy theory cynic in me is conjuring the notion that the NCAA-- lobbied by marquee figures-- actually wants to stack the draw against UConn advancing to the Final Four, thus breaking its extraordinary streak & exclaiming their coveted parity narrative at the highest level. The most effective way of doing this is to put them in SC's quadrant.

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
-UConn will be in Bridgeport

- I dont think either teams can come within 15 pts of UConn and it could be more then that. IMO it really doesnt matter who comes to... UConn right now is playing at an level higher then any team in WCBB with depth and confidence.

For some time now, Tony and I have failed to agree about Bridgeport...My argument, the flip side of
Tony's is...if they're ever going to send us away, this is the year.

But where Tony adjusts the script to have UConn play in CT., I put my foot down that it is impossible to punish Dawn by putting UConn in her regional, creating a real likelihood of SC not getting out of the elite-8 (my view) and near certainty (Tony's view)

Not going to happen...they may send us away, but no way to Greensboro to threaten Dawn's season.
That would be a bit unfair.

Anywhere else would be fun.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see this team go all the way, causing confusion and destruction in its path, but let's leave SC for the final-4.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If you look at the last "Mock" bracket it had Tennessee as a 2 seed over UCONN. Hello, UCONN crushed Tennessee while short Paige and Caroline if I am not mistaken.
Which bracket are you referring to? In the previous committee reveal of Feb. 10, Tennessee was #12 overall, behind UConn. If you're referring to Creme's projections, he hasn't had Tennessee as a 2 seed since well before that.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I believe, that with the new Tourney setup next year, it is unlikely that a Regional final will ever be held in Bridgeport again.

Reaction Score
I believe, that with the new Tourney setup next year, it is unlikely that a Regional final will ever be held in Bridgeport again.
2023: Greenville SC and Seattle
2024: Albany and Portland OR
2025: Birmingham and Spokane
2026: Fort Worth and Sacramento

This also proves that the NCAA cares about more than money. Because most of those western regionals are going to stink.
Why on earth the west got exactly half of the regionals for the next 4 years is beyond me. The west has the fewest D1 schools, the fewest major schools, and each western site has only a handful of schools within 500 miles. Just an awful terrible move.

If you wanted to attract fans, then the south should be the region that had 1/2 the regionals.

Reaction Score
You can argue seeding all night long but remember 2001, Notre Dame beat UCONN during the season and was seeded #1 and UCONN #2 in the Big East Tournament held at Gampel. The finals were ND vs UCONN and UCONN pulled out the victory on Sue Bird's last second shot!
When the NCAA Committee finished seeding the National Tournament, ND was the overall #1 seed to UCONN's #2 overall seed and when asked why ND was the overall #1 seed when the Chairwoman of the committee was asked how ND was given the #1 seed, she replied "Notre Dame beat UCONN in the Big East Tournament finals!" When told UCONN won the Big East Finals. she said, "Did they?"
So there's no predicting what the committee will do!
Reason goes out the window when the committee gets in that room!

Reaction Score
2023-2026 Regional sites have been selected. Albany is one of the sites in 2024.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
As it stands now either NC State or LVIlle depending on who wins the ACC tourney will end up in Bridgeport. I dont think either teams can come within 15 pts of UConn and it could be more then that.
You honestly believe UCONN would beat NC State by more than 15 points? Our largest loss of the season was 9 points to South Carolina -- in the opening game of the season when we were without one key player off the bench and with another starter playing limited minutes recuperating from an injury.

Interesting.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The only sure thing is UConn - Iowa in the same region.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You honestly believe UCONN would beat NC State by more than 15 points? Our largest loss of the season was 9 points to South Carolina -- in the opening game of the season when we were without one key player off the bench and with another starter playing limited minutes recuperating from an injury.

Interesting.
Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport is a really tough place to play the Huskies for whatever reason. I’ve been to 4 of UConn’s regional games there and the MOV’s were as follows:

• MS St +60 (piranhas on a roast game)
  • TX +21
  • UCLA +21
  • Oregon +38

Not saying that the same fate awaits the Wolfpack, but an MOV by UConn of +15 or greater would not surprise me at all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Interesting.
It’s TonyC. He thinks UConn would beat the Harlem Globetrotters by 14. So grading on the curve, NCSt is pretty good.
:)

Reaction Score
Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport is a really tough place to play the Huskies for whatever reason. I’ve been to 4 of UConn’s regional games there and the MOV’s were as follows:

• MS St +60 (piranhas on a roast game)
  • TX +21
  • UCLA +21
  • Oregon +38

Not saying that the same fate awaits the Wolfpack, but an MOV by UConn of +15 or greater would not surprise me at all.
Correlation <> causation
I suspect the issue was not playing in Bridgeport but the fact that UConn was a great team (that had earned that 1 seed) and would’ve crushed those teams regardless of location.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom