Transfer portal, Spring 2022 (merged thread) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal, Spring 2022 (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don’t think she’s the most logical addition for Uconn, but if she landed here, I certainly wouldn’t be upset. She has her defensive liabilities, but has the capability of being a dynamic scorer. With our starting backcourt returning, one I believe will challenge for the best nationally next year, I wouldn’t mind having her for 20 minutes a game off of the bench.

Our issue is that we have a ton of post depth, but most of it is unproven. And we have very little guard depth, but the ones we have are proven. There’s hope one or more of our posts will develop, but we need another guard to protect ourselves from injury.

Reaction Score
But she also had South Carolina in that list: "Owusu was the No. 10 prospect in espnW’s 'HoopGurlz Terrific 25' for the Class of 2019 when she committed to Maryland. At the time, she’d considered Penn State, UConn, West Virginia and South Carolina, which won its second national championship on Sunday."

LINK
Correction: “…At the time, she’d considered Penn State, West Virginia, South Carolina and UCONN which will win its 12th championship next season!”

Reaction Score
Question: Are there stats out there that break-down portal players by year, by numbers, by ie, movement to top 25 women's basketball programs, those now being (drafted or given a scholarship)?

If, the current number in the portal is 800 ?, how many continue with a scholarship at another school in the top 10? top 25? Has the NCAA published this and where???

Reaction Score
I don’t think she’s the most logical addition for Uconn, but if she landed here, I certainly wouldn’t be upset. She has her defensive liabilities, but has the capability of being a dynamic scorer. With our starting backcourt returning, one I believe will challenge for the best nationally next year, I wouldn’t mind having her for 20 minutes a game off of the bench.

Our issue is that we have a ton of post depth, but most of it is unproven. And we have very little guard depth, but the ones we have are proven. There’s hope one or more of our posts will develop, but we need another guard to protect ourselves from injury.
Geno was very pleased when they got healthy enough to play 4 guards, I agree a guard is a higher priority from the portal.

Reaction Score

I agree with you. I doubt that she wants to play 15-20 mpg in a rotation to showcase herself for the WNBA. A 35 mpg Mulkey deal would probably be attractive to her and give Mulkey an extra year to get a long term PG up to speed.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I've said it before, we don't want another guard for more than one year. K.K. Arnold and Ashlyn Shade come in 23 to join Paige, Nika, Azzi, and, if needed, Caroline. The best scenario is a grad transfer, such as Abby Meyers.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Owusu's strength is playing with the ball in her hands. She's very good off ball-screens with her strong mid-range shot. She's also a very good passer, can overpower defenders driving to the basket and can post up smaller guards. She is not an especially good 3-point shooter and is not a (shooting) guard who is going to run her defenders off screens.

Reaction Score
Okay, I didn't see Dawn's pre-game presser, but if she did hint at getting a transfer before that player's entry into the portal was announced, is that even legal? Isn't that some kind of interference with a player who technically still is part of another program?

I think if I know what you're referring to that Dawn was alluding to possible transfers out abd indicating that if there were players that could help in portal that she'd listen.

Reaction Score
Dawn wasn't specific. Her reply to the reporter that asked about the portal was "why would I tell you?" Also we have no idea when Owusu entered the portal. The information is supposed to be confidential, and only coaches are supposed to have access, so the only way we would find out is if the player says something, or someone gains unauthorized access to the system and leaks it. I don't know that coaches would necessarily broadcast a player leaving their program. Players when entering the portal can choose to not be contacted as well preferring to be the ones to reach out to prospective schools. Do coaches respect that, again, who knows, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear there's a lot of back-channeling and re-recruiting players in the portal. The whole thing seems like it is susceptible to abuse.

Now this statement wasn't directed at transfers in.

It was directed at a reporter who told Dawn that she didn't have any transfers. Dawn says we do. He said really, who?

And she gave him the I'm not doing your homework for you comment.

Reaction Score
If I'm a fan of either program, I'd probably pass on her to be honest. Owusu is extremely talented, an All American and was the engine behind some ridiculously good offensive teams (Maryland in 2020 and 2021), but chances are she'll be at her new school for just 1 year, and I don't think she fits well at either school. At UCONN she isn't beating out Paige and would probably need ample time to get up to speed in learning the offense and fine tuning defense. At SC, she isn't a Staley prototype. She's big but not a lock down defender, and they already have Johnson/Cooper waiting in the wings to play PG.

She'll be a great addition for whoever lands her but I'd imagine UCONN/SC have more specific player types they're targeting for 1-2 year transfers.

1 year is exactly what SC needs actually.

If it takes a transfer PG.

Which in my opinion it probably should.

Reaction Score
Owusu's strength is playing with the ball in her hands. She's very good off ball-screens with her strong mid-range shot. She's also a very good passer, can overpower defenders driving to the basket and can post up smaller guards. She is not an especially good 3-point shooter and is not a (shooting) guard who is going to run her defenders off screens.
She did make 9/16 3-pointers to end the season. All standstill jumpers, but she's expanded her range.

sun

Reaction Score
I've said it before, we don't want another guard for more than one year. K.K. Arnold and Ashlyn Shade come in 23 to join Paige, Nika, Azzi, and, if needed, Caroline. The best scenario is a grad transfer, such as Abby Meyers.
Dorka's 2 year transfer didn't stop Geno from accepting her at UConn even though her presence may have affected PT for Amari and Piath.

UConn has dealt with enough injuries to know that they can happen at anytime, and to be prepared for when they do.

Reaction Score
Okay, I didn't see Dawn's pre-game presser, but if she did hint at getting a transfer before that player's entry into the portal was announced, is that even legal? Isn't that some kind of interference with a player who technically still is part of another program?
She never hinted at a transfer specifically. She said she expected us to lose some players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If I'm a fan of either program, I'd probably pass on her to be honest. Owusu is extremely talented, an All American and was the engine behind some ridiculously good offensive teams (Maryland in 2020 and 2021), but chances are she'll be at her new school for just 1 year, and I don't think she fits well at either school. At UCONN she isn't beating out Paige and would probably need ample time to get up to speed in learning the offense and fine tuning defense. At SC, she isn't a Staley prototype. She's big but not a lock down defender, and they already have Johnson/Cooper waiting in the wings to play PG.

She'll be a great addition for whoever lands her but I'd imagine UCONN/SC have more specific player types they're targeting for 1-2 year transfers.
All SC needs her for is for 1 year. Raven is the future, but still an unknown. We need a shooter and a point guard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can see her going to a team like SC where her defensive liabilities can be hidden when a great shot blocker like Boston is there

Reaction Score
Might not mean anything, but I heard she just started following VT's Liz Kitley on social media. She did go to high school in Virginia, so maybe she goes back. Even though Maryland's campus is closer to where she went to school than VT, she might have some family still scattered throughout Virginia.

PvP

Reaction Score
dont need any more guards
Sorry Larry, a guard is EXACTLY what we need. As presently configured, UCONN will enter next season with only 4 guards and if this past season has taught us anything it should be the value of depth. Hoping for no illnesses or injuries is not a strategy.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, her physique is part of the problem. Her conditioning is poor. Great talent though.
If we pass on her because of a comment like this then we're missing out. She can flat out play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom