Transfer portal, Spring 2022 (merged thread) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal, Spring 2022 (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
WHAT I JUST POSTER ON THE GENERAL BOARD

Frankly, Owusu had a very disappointing year this past season. If you follow the Terps, you could see the difference in her play from the outstanding showing in the Big 10 tournament as a freshman to this past season. There were signs of her decline last season. In the Big 10 tournament last season, she was below average compared to the previous Big 10 tournament. Then there was the Texas game.

When she had her slump in Big 10 play, lots of Terp fans were harping on her lack of conditioning. She was unable to break down defenders like she did her sophomore year. Also, she was consistently getting beat off the dribble by opposing guards. When Taylor Mikesell beat you off the dribble, you know you have a problem.

I know Stanford need a PG but they have no scholarships available. I would love for her to go to South Carolina. Ashley is very introverted and she need someone to put a fire under her and force her to reach her full potential. Ashley has the best handles in WCBB but IMHO, she have major conditioning problems. I've been watching basketball for over 50 years and I can tell whether a person is in condition or not. Brionna Jones was out of condition when she came to Maryland. By her season year, she lost about 50 poinds. Look at what happened to Aliyah Boston and how great she is.

Being in condition is part of your job being a collegiate athlete on scholarship. I think Ashey failed at that. I hope Dawn or another coach can light a fire under her and get her to do the things she need to do the reach her full potential which is very high.

Reaction Score
The exact type of player UCONN needs on offense. Someone who could get her own shot and take guards down low. But not sure she is a fit for our offense. Defense she struggles a bit

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think someone need to move this to the general board. Unless UConn is trying to recruit her.
The lines between UConn topics and general interest topics gets a little blurrier in the off-season. It’s OK to remain here, especially since fans are speculating UConn is looking for a guard in the portal.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My first question is what the heck is going on with Brenda’s program? I mean Mikesell left because of Ashley, who knows the real reason Austin left but she was also a starter and significant piece. Slocum left before those 2 and now Owusu. This is not peripheral pieces looking for more playing time, this is all-conference performers leaving….

As Shakespeare so famously stated “something is rotten in the state of Denmark”….
The Terps also lost Staiti and Owens.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Okay, I didn't see Dawn's pre-game presser, but if she did hint at getting a transfer before that player's entry into the portal was announced, is that even legal? Isn't that some kind of interference with a player who technically still is part of another program?
She didn't say anything specific, just that USC may have a couple of players go into the portal and USC may get a couple of players from the portal.

Reaction Score
Would SC or UConn fans want her on their rosters for the upcoming season? I'm interested in hearing since both sides have been linked to her during her initial recruiting process.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Reading her message I see that Sara has completed her junior year and talks about
her remaining years of eligibility [that's 'years' plural...makes you wonder whether she has
in her mind to play 2 years wherever she goes].

Reaction Score
Extremely confident LEAD PG that can score.. sees the floor extremely well, makes players around her better... Hard not to like her... Forget about her physical stature (zero disrespect intended). She's a ball player...

Reaction Score
I’m not versed on recruiting rules and regulations. But if Owusu just entered the portal, wouldn’t there be a possible violation if she committed to Dawn before entering the portal?
Who is to say she didn't enter her name in the portal a day or two before announcing it on social media?

Reaction Score
Okay, I didn't see Dawn's pre-game presser, but if she did hint at getting a transfer before that player's entry into the portal was announced, is that even legal? Isn't that some kind of interference with a player who technically still is part of another program?
Dawn wasn't specific. Her reply to the reporter that asked about the portal was "why would I tell you?" Also we have no idea when Owusu entered the portal. The information is supposed to be confidential, and only coaches are supposed to have access, so the only way we would find out is if the player says something, or someone gains unauthorized access to the system and leaks it. I don't know that coaches would necessarily broadcast a player leaving their program. Players when entering the portal can choose to not be contacted as well preferring to be the ones to reach out to prospective schools. Do coaches respect that, again, who knows, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear there's a lot of back-channeling and re-recruiting players in the portal. The whole thing seems like it is susceptible to abuse.

Reaction Score
Who is to say she didn't enter her name in the portal a day or two before announcing it on social media?

Let's be real here, there are accounts that pretty much report new portal entrants as they see them. Also, I highly doubt Dawn would say anything pertaining to Owusu before she announced her intention to transfer. That would make it look like a violation even if it wasn't.

Chantel Jennings of the Athletic pretty much said Owusu's name was not in the portal until today. Another Maryland player has also announced her intention to leave the program today which would seem to indicate Maryland did all the paperwork for it today.

Owusu can very much end at SC, but I think Dawn would be smart enough to not tweet something out that early.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure why you would say that. Dawn would know her really well because she played on the FIBA team last summer that Dawn coached. I don't believe it is who Dawn tweeted about yesterday, but only because that's not who it rumored to be, but it would make sense to pick her up. Don't count Dawn out.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Reading her message I see that Sara has completed her junior year and talks about
her remaining years of eligibility [that's 'years' plural...makes you wonder whether she has
2 years works for me! She also shot 91.5% from the FT line, grabbed 4 RPB and had 2 APG and started all 33 games her team played. Me likey!!

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Not sure if it's in the cards, but she'd be quite the banger with Coach Abe at UGA.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Would SC or UConn fans want her on their rosters for the upcoming season? I'm interested in hearing since both sides have been linked to her during her initial recruiting process.
If I'm a fan of either program, I'd probably pass on her to be honest. Owusu is extremely talented, an All American and was the engine behind some ridiculously good offensive teams (Maryland in 2020 and 2021), but chances are she'll be at her new school for just 1 year, and I don't think she fits well at either school. At UCONN she isn't beating out Paige and would probably need ample time to get up to speed in learning the offense and fine tuning defense. At SC, she isn't a Staley prototype. She's big but not a lock down defender, and they already have Johnson/Cooper waiting in the wings to play PG.

She'll be a great addition for whoever lands her but I'd imagine UCONN/SC have more specific player types they're targeting for 1-2 year transfers.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
It doesn't say she'll be a grad transfer, so it may very well take her two years to finish a bachelor's degree somewhere else.

Reaction Score
She was speaking of losing players to the portal. She spoke of players not wanting to sit on the bench. And she's got quite a few that do.

Reaction Score
Owusu can play off the ball if need be. I don't know where she sees herself at the next level, but she did win the "best shooting guard" award as a sophomore.

Reaction Score
Owusu can play off the ball if need be. I don't know where she sees herself at the next level, but she did win the "best shooting guard" award as a sophomore.
So did Christyn.

Reaction Score
If I'm a fan of either program, I'd probably pass on her to be honest. Owusu is extremely talented, an All American and was the engine behind some ridiculously good offensive teams (Maryland in 2020 and 2021), but chances are she'll be at her new school for just 1 year, and I don't think she fits well at either school. At UCONN she isn't beating out Paige and would probably need ample time to get up to speed in learning the offense and fine tuning defense. At SC, she isn't a Staley prototype. She's big but not a lock down defender, and they already have Johnson/Cooper waiting in the wings to play PG.

She'll be a great addition for whoever lands her but I'd imagine UCONN/SC have more specific player types they're targeting for 1-2 year transfers.
She would be a great addition for Uconn. That is exactly what they are missing and a good defensive scoring point guard like Beckers . Let's go Geno let's not drag our feet on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom