Tolksdorf | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tolksdorf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
This might be treading the line, but I'm interested in what kid heard propagated transfer rumors? I think a pinned rules and history of the boneyard might be helpful and interesting for new yarders like myself.

But that might stop people from blowing themselves up while walking through the minefield that The Boneyard can be when someone first arrives....

Reaction Score
If Tolkie is really thinking of transferring, maybe he should think of URI? URI seems to be the destination for former 6'7"/8" transfers who were noted shooters, though not too athletic. ie. Hazelton / Eaves. :) Plus he'd still be close enough to visit the team. He's always seemed to be a nice, stand up guy, always smiling. Can't say anything bad about him.

Reaction Score
Bryant is a great school and he'll get a chance for major minutes there.

You can play anywhere and get noticed and whether he wants to play overseas or enter the workforce, Bryant will do nicely.

If that works out he'll join Ct native and former Bethel HS forward Dan Garvin who was impressive as a Freshman and could add another threat to what might become a decent frontcourt at Bryant.

http://www.bryantbulldogs.com/sports/mbkb/2013-14/bios/garvin_dan_7pmv

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Never really heard much about Leon except it looked like he was well liked by his teammates in post game interviews.

He didn't have high D1 game, but rarely few guys do. I'm sure his play in practice helped the team on their way to a title.

Forever a national champion - can't take that away from him. He deserves a chance to play - good luck to him.

Reaction Score
This might be treading the line, but I'm interested in what kid heard propagated transfer rumors? I think a pinned rules and history of the boneyard might be helpful and interesting for new yarders like myself.

I'm going back 15 years. There was a relative of one of our bench players who was a popular poster - he had to deal with this stuff here all the time, and UConn students have always been on the 'yard and see these guys in class, so it doesn't take much for it to end up in their ears. If it's one guy speculating, meh, nobody would notice or care, but entire threads would end up devoted to who was going to transfer/get forced out, where that person was going to go, and who we could give his scholarship to, when the player himself actually had no plans of leaving whatsoever.

More recently, we self-policed and repeatedly kept nipping those threads in the bud with Beverly and Okwandu - two guys who ended up giving us key minutes in a national championship run.

Reaction Score
If Tolksdorf does leave, he'll be the last in a long line of Calhoun emergency, late-signing, roster-filling recruits that ultimately transferred. Leon didn't hurt, but there was a whole slew of them that absolutely murdered our APR 4-5 years back.

Hopefully Ollie has learned from that and doesn't just take someone for the sake of taking someone, who can't hack it on the basketball court or in the classroom. I think his version of it is the 5th-year grad transfer, which is much smarter and safer as: 1) it only ties up the scholly for 1 year, and 2) since the kid has already graduated, odds are he's a capable student.

Reaction Score
If Tolksdorf does leave, he'll be the last in a long line of Calhoun emergency, late-signing, roster-filling recruits that ultimately transferred. Leon didn't hurt, but there was a whole slew of them that absolutely murdered our APR 4-5 years back.

Hopefully Ollie has learned from that and doesn't just take someone for the sake of taking someone, who can't hack it on the basketball court or in the classroom. I think his version of it is the 5th-year grad transfer, which is much smarter and safer as: 1) it only ties up the scholly for 1 year, and 2) since the kid has already graduated, odds are he's a capable student.

There are 13 scholarships. 10-13 aren't going to see the court.

Reaction Score
There are 13 scholarships. 10-13 aren't going to see the court.

And yet, every offseason there are endless threads about "we only have X scholarships available, we can't take both A and B player". If we had more scholarships available, that wouldn't be an issue.

Reaction Score
And yet, every offseason there are endless threads about "we only have X scholarships available, we can't take both A and B player". If we had more scholarships available, that wouldn't be an issue.

We always offer a ton of kids. Then the kids look at the depth chart and they don't come. We say "we can't offer both" but the truth is, kids don't come when they are 3 back at their position.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Looks like he is definitely transferring

Kevin McNamara ‏@KevinMcNamara33 2m
UConn stretch forward Leon Tolksdorf of Germany looking at Bryant, American and Columbia. Impact transfer at that level.

Great for him. He's going to get a lot of playing time. If he goes to Columbia, he gets an Ivy League degree to boot.

And he'll always have a National Championship at a high major school on his resume. How many players can say that?

Reaction Score
David Borges ‏@DaveBorges
Leon Tolksdorf is looking into a possible transfer to Bryant University, per a source. Apparently, he's on campus right now.

Wein @nickweinstein27
Leon Tolksdorf is at Bryant right now.... Possible transfer for you Uconn fans that know

If this thread is a no-no, delete it. But since it's on twitter, I figured it would be okay.
I called this a while back and i got blasted for it. The kid wants to play and hes not going to get much pt here and it opens up a schollie for us. its a win win for everybody. I wish the kid the best if he does.

Reaction Score
I called this a while back and i got blasted for it. The kid wants to play and hes not going to get much pt here and it opens up a schollie for us. its a win win for everybody. I wish the kid the best if he does.
Probably because you shouldn't be speculating on transfers until it's actually announced. I believe that's a rule here.

Reaction Score

Please don't tell me you don't understand the difference between your comments and this topic...

Reaction Score
So how's the recruiting for a competent big mutha going???

Reaction Score
I'd love to get Simon, Horford, and just a random 5th year guy for depth if Tolk leaves. Would give us a full roster and allow us to pursue 4 players for the 2015 class.

Reaction Score
Will be disappointed if he leaves - I like to see UConn basketball players get their degrees. Best of luck to him if he does - I can certainly understand seeking more playing time.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Leon was a joy to watch on the bench...clearly loves his teammates and I will certainly miss him for that. He also contributed a lot in practice in ways that we never saw.

However, after losing Niels (48+%), DD 42% and Bazz (40.5%...certainly would have been higher if he didn't have to force so many at the end of shot clocks etc.), it would seem that the team could still use a potential 45%+ 3 pt shooter (he only shot 28% this year but it is very hard to get a rhythm when playing so many minutes). When Boat, RP, DHam, TSam and Sam Jr. penetrate they will be looking for a deadeye 3 pt shooter. Leon could have been a weapon next year, particularly against zone defenses, which we will likely see a lot in an attempt to stop our penetration (granted Leon has some deficiencies, like lateral foot speed, that would require his teammates to cover for him).

I'm sure Coach Ollie has thought about this and will have an alternative plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom