The Official 2015 Mets Thread | Page 15 | The Boneyard

The Official 2015 Mets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Conforto up! Not expecting a savior as he's making the jump from AA...but it's worth a look.
Stupid, stupid, stupid. But exactly what I suspected. This pretty much confirms that they are not making a deal.

Brilliant non-move by Alderson--refuse to give up any prospects for a trade, but risk the development of their best one by promoting him prematurely and throwing him into the lion's den with hugely unrealistic expectations.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Your random trivia for the day: Michael Conforto will be the 1000th player to appear in a game for the Mets.

And I disagree it's the wrong move. I'd rather give him a shot at being in the lineup every day than Kirk or Mayberry. That's what's best for the team right now. I don't think it should be the only move but you can't let fans high expectations for him stop you from bringing him up. He could hit .230 this year and people will love him. The only way it's going to hurt his development is if he hits .150 (at which point you can assume he would have struggled no matter what) or if he doesn't play 4+ games a week.

I do agree that this will be a move made for PR purposes. Throw the fans a bone so they forget that you're not making any trades (edit: which I'm not happy about). I just don't agree that it will hurt Conforto in any way and I think it should help the team.

Reaction Score
I actually think they do make a trade. Call me crazy, or maybe I'm still hungover but I think the pressure is too much and they've backed themselves into a corner where they really have no choice. Will it be a major trade? Doubt it, but I could see an OF still added or multiple role players like a Zobrist/Prado type.

Reaction Score
As an add-on, I think Gomez would be perfect from Milwaukee. He could lead off pushing Granderson to 5 or 6 in the lineup. So that helps your lineup in multiple ways. Also, let's be honest...Lagares is nowhere near the player he was last year bc of his elbow. Let him have the TJ surgery and come back middle/end of the season next year as a bench piece (I wouldn't think rehab is as long, 14 months, for a non-pitcher). Gomez covers for him until he's back in 2017 fully healthy. Gomez probably walks at that time anyways.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Recovery time after Tommy John for position players is generally about 8 months. It might take a couple months longer because he is a CF so probably 10-11 months I would guess. Knowing the Mets I'm sure it would take like 13 months though. Also knowing the Mets, they'll give it to him in October so he'll end up missing almost all of next year regardless.

Adding to that (and repeating my previous sentiments), I would like to see trades for Venable and Zobrist. Zobrist can obviously play multiple positions so you can give the rest of the infield days off and play the hot hand. Venable (should be cheap) slots into CF and you can give Lagares the surgery now. Years of failure have me expecting that neither will happen. Or they'll just get Venable for a mid tier prospect, say the asking price for Zobrist was too high, and call it a day.

Reaction Score
Danny Valencia, Martin Prado, Jose Iglesias, Gerardo Parra, Charlie Blackmon & David Peralta. All reasonable trade targets.

My ideal scenario would be to trade for Iglesias (solves SS for foreseeable future, Tejada becomes backup MI) and Parra/Blackmon. DFA Mayberry & Muno.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Funny my little brother is at the game tonight and he texted me a couple hours ago with the rumor, which initially had Tejada in the deal. I liked it then and and I like it now.

Hope it happens and will be very happy to be wrong and kudos are due to Alderson for a good poker face.

Reaction Score
Good deal, held onto our big chips and helped the line-up and bench. I also think this is a pre-cursor to a bigger move. Too many infielders and not enough OFers. Apparently Wheelers name has been coming up in talks. I'd trade him for a big bat.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Winnable game as Grenke not putching? Sorry, no. This is dangerous waters. Mets on way to oblivion. the Wilpons

mets1090

Reaction Score
Funny my little brother is at the game tonight and he texted me a couple hours ago with the rumor, which initially had Tejada in the deal. I liked it then and and I like it now.

Hope it happens and will be very happy to be wrong and kudos are due to Alderson for a good poker face.
Yeah no doubt this is a quality trade. Move a couple relatively insignificant pitching prospects for two guys that would be leading this team in batting average.

If they find a way to add either another two reasonable pieces or one better piece without moving big prospects, I'll consider it a great deadline all things considered.

Nationals are keeping the Mets in it. Just need to capitalize.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Puma and Carig both tweeted that according to a source, the front office isn't done yet. Still working on other trades. One writer (for Bleacher Report, so no idea how keyed in he is) said he heard we're going after Geraldo Parra. That would be a huge upgrade over Lagares; let him get the Tommy John on his elbow and come back strong next year.

Reaction Score
Puma and Carig both tweeted that according to a source, the front office isn't done yet. Still working on other trades. One writer (for Bleacher Report, so no idea how keyed in he is) said he heard we're going after Geraldo Parra. That would be a huge upgrade over Lagares; let him get the Tommy John on his elbow and come back strong next year.

I think as more teams become interested in Parra the less likely the Mets will target him. His cost is rising significantly and he's only a rental.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm sure that felt good and Sandy looks like a genius at the moment. Wish they could have save a few runs and hits to sprinkle them over some other games but I guess it doesn't work that way.

Big test today.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Starting to sound like Jay Bruce is the big target from what the beat reporters are saying. I guess if that happens, they'll move Grandson over to center against righties? Not sure he can handle the position anymore, but I guess they feel comfortable with it if they're scouting him as heavily as they are.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Another piece would be very nice, but I don't want to set myself up to be disappointed if they don't pull it off before the trade deadline. Uribe and Johnson are already more than I thought we'd be getting, and they've already paid dividends on and off the field. And just the fact that the team now believes that the ownership wants to provide the resources to win now makes all the difference in the world.

Seeing Uribe celebrate his walk-off today reminded me of Khalid. He's got an infectious joy for playing the game.

Color me optimistic. Something I definitely did not think was possible a few days ago.

Alum86

Reaction Score
C'mon, when LA tied it in the ninth like a kick to the gut, who thought we would win. Not me. Nice W Metsies. deGrom is an animal.
2 games out. Go for it Wilpons

mets1090

Reaction Score
Was at the game yesterday. Can't describe how deflating it was when Familia blew the lead and obviously thought there was no chance the Mets were winning that game. Great to see Uribe with the walk off hit.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Mets make a trade for a reliever. Alex Torres is far too inconsistent and Robles is still a little raw. Carlos Torres also isn't setting the world on fire but he's been solid enough over the last month and he can eat innings in extra inning games or when things get out of hand early which is a necessary asset for at least one bullpen arm. I'd be happy to see them get Clippard or Benoit (two names I've seen thrown around).

I'm not sure I see them dealing for Benoit since he's owed like $3.5 million the rest of the year and they'd have to pay a $1.5 million buyout (or pick up his $8 million option - no chance). If the Padres eat salary (even just the buyout) he would be a great addition. Clippard would strictly be a rental and with the Athletics being the Athletics, I'm guessing they're going to try to move him. Someone will give him a multi-year deal and I can't see them tying up $8-10 million a year for a setup man because that's just not their M.O.

Alum86

Reaction Score
Baby steps. And when does that damn china doll d'Arnaud finally come back? Plawiecki is terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom