The Official 2015 Mets Thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

The Official 2015 Mets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Well let's see how he does on national TV tonight in a very important game for us. If you want to be an ace you have to come up big in games like this. Three of them will have that chance in the next three games.

Ironically, it may be our pitchers' bats that have to win these games, even moreso than their arms.

Gilmartin didn't look too bad last night at the plate.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Gilmartin didn't look too bad last night at the plate.
Did anyone else disagree with the Cards decision to walk Murphy with a runner on first to get to deGrom in extra innings? deGrom knows how to handle the bat and that intentional pass is just asking for either a solid hit from deGrom or a bloop single. Unsurprisingly, he had a good at bat and worked out a walk. Meanwhile, Murphy has one extra base hit in the last 12 games.

Perhaps the most ironic thing here is that if they had a position player left to pinch hit with, they probably don't walk Murphy even though Mets pitchers have a better batting average than their bench.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Harvey better hope this is just one big rehab season. This is crap.

Murph's defense ain't helping, either.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Setting aside for just one second how bad the offense is (I think that's pretty well documented)... There isn't one person on the team that is an above average fielder. Imagine how good the pitching numbers would be if the defense was making an above average amount of plays behind them. They could have a lineup of "all glove, no stick, decent speed" type players and score as many runs as this team. And those types of players generally come pretty cheap since defense is largely under valued.

There isn't one guy on this team I'd want at the plate in a big spot (edit: Grandy is having a good season). Duda is hitting .238 for crying out loud. Murphy.... only the Mets could have a guy in his contract year put up the worst numbers in his career (below replacement level if you put stock in WAR). If you're going to put a AAAA lineup out there, at least find some guys who can cover a lot of ground in the field out there.

Last edited:

mets1090

Reaction Score
It's remarkable at this point. Every pitcher in the rotation can handle the bat (even Colon isn't lost at the plate). And yet we can't rely on any of the bench players to consistently contribute.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The only thing I disagree with Vaccaro about is bringing up Conforto. I don't think it's fair. Spend money or resources to get a MLB player rather than risking the development of a great prospect.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It's remarkable at this point. Every pitcher in the rotation can handle the bat (even Colon isn't lost at the plate). And yet we can't rely on any of the bench players to consistently contribute.
One would think that it would shame the bench players into better production, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

mets1090

Reaction Score
One would think that it would shame the bench players into better production, but that doesn't seem to be happening.
Well one thing is for sure, they aren't struggling due to a lack of effort. Half the position players on this team should be 25th men on a good team.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Well one thing is for sure, they aren't struggling due to a lack of effort. Half the position players on this team should be 25th men on a good team.
I agree with that. This team is the Peter Principle in action.

mets1090

Reaction Score
That's why I can't even get mad at any of the players (besides Murphy and to a lesser degree Duda). It's not their fault they aren't good enough.

Sigh....

Reaction Score
mets1090 said:
That's why I can't even get mad at any of the players (besides Murphy and to a lesser degree Duda). It's not their fault they aren't good enough. Sigh....

Exactly, I can't think of one guy on this team that isn't giving 100%. It's lack of talent that's killing them.

Reaction Score
Wow, a 3 run inning! Who would've seen this coming!? It's 6-2 as I type this. This guarantees we are no worse than 3 back after tomorrow assuming we hold on.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Wow, a 3 run inning! Who would've seen this coming!? It's 6-2 as I type this. This guarantees we are no worse than 3 back after tomorrow assuming we hold on.
Yup, catastrophe avoided. With a win today, they're 1 game back (2 in the loss column) which is obviously close to enough to shift into "go for it" mode.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/...er-blue-jays-papelbon-red-sox-rays-smyly.html
  • New York remains in contact with the Athletics on the versatile Ben Zobrist, Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News reports. The fit is obvious, and the teams have long said to be in contact, but Ackert says that things have progressed to the point that Oakland has made a specific prospect ask. Nevertheless, no deal is imminent, per the report.
  • The Mets are loath to part with outfielder Michael Conforto or shortstop Amed Rosario to add a bat, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com hears (Twitter link), echoing arecent report. But the team is still certainly after a hitter, as Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com tweets that Michael Cuddyer‘s injury situation has led to a “seismic shift” in the ballclub’s deadline approach. We had heard earlier in the summer that the team was interested in offense even before Cuddyer’s knee troubles worsened, but at the time the focus seemed more on the infield.

http://www.amazinavenue.com/2015/7/21/9011877/mets-trade-rumors-ben-zobrist-rafael-montero-athletics

tl;dr on this link is Montero for Zobrist has been discussed. A's want to wait to see if they can get hot and get back into the race. Also want to wait as long as possible to see how Montero's rehab goes. Word is also that the Mets may not want to pick up the entirety of the $3 million owed to Zobrist this year which is a complete joke and fills me with rage.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We know what's going to happen. There is not going to be a deal. They are going to rush C0nforto into the big leagues, which I think is unwise. But that's nothing new.

mets1090

Reaction Score
My thoughts are that they should make a move for Zobrist and then see what Wright's deal is in August. To my knowledge he's still on the 15 day DL and Conforto isn't on the 40 man roster. If Wright still isn't cleared in a few weeks and the Zobrist addition is enough to keep them in the race or even vault them into first, they could move him to the 60 day DL to open up a spot on the 40 for Conforto and then call him up (assuming Cuddyer is still banged up).

mets1090

Reaction Score
UConn's own Max McDowell (Junior catcher drafted and signed by the Brewers this year for those who don't know) just tweeted this:

mets1090

Reaction Score
What a terrible way to lose, though not unexpected. Offense completely checked out after putting up 3 runs in the 4th innings, Parnell gives up 3 runs in the blink of an eye, and they go down quietly in the 9th.

Cubs lost though so still 2 games back in the WC.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
This is a loss that may put them on the expected belly roll to oblivion.
Horrible. Collins. the Wilpons.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Love your optimism mets1090.
Like the announcers on the WFAN joke, the Mets somehow make it as the second w/c team, go on the road , and have Niese left, because everyone else has been shut down.
Probably better than Bartolo, however

mets1090

Reaction Score
Love your optimism mets1090.
Please don't mistake my statement of them only being 2 back in the WC as optimism lol. Just stating a fact. The implication is that if they were to improve the offense they would be capable of randomly ripping off 8 or 9 wins in a row and voila, they're in a playoff spot.

This team, as built, isn't going to make that happen. The Giants and Nationals are probably going to put some separation between themselves and the Mets. In all likelihood, this team should be 6+ games back of each by September 1 or sooner. Then again, they should be 6 games back already so who the hell knows.

mets1090

Reaction Score
There's some smoke around the Mets looking to get Venable from the Padres. I would imagine he would come pretty cheap as a rental who isn't producing exceedingly well (but would still be an upgrade offensively for this team). By no means should he be the only player added, but if they can get him for an insignificant package I'd be happy.

If they got him and Zobrist I'd be relatively satisfied. Not as thrilling as adding a star bat but plugging two holes is at least something. Literally do anything that shows the Wilpons care one iota about trying to win.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I will repeat that there will be no deal. Keeping Cuddyer on the active roster and in the dugout is a self-fulfilling prophecy that the Mets will effectively slip out of contention, thereby eliminating the need to make a deal.

I'm convinced that it's actually a complete fraud to the fans. Just like the d'Arnoud and Wright fantasies. I mean, what the hell else do you think Collins means when he says that Cuddyer is still there because he's the only name on the team, even when he can't play?

And I don't want to hear about Kershaw's dominance. Colon pitched one of his best games of the season. We had our chances and Duda screwed it up, and then the pen just gave up. Who wouldn't when management has made 100% clear that we are no longer playing to win?

Collins on the dais for the presser now. He looks like he's about to snap. I honestly think he may be on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

The saddest part is that we just got beat by a Nationals team that was very vulnerable, and now we're facing a very vulnerable Dodgers' staff after Kershaw--but we're hell bent on being even worse so that we can get past the trade deadline without making a deal.

Stick a fork in us. We're done.

Reaction Score
Conforto up! Not expecting a savior as he's making the jump from AA...but it's worth a look.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Well Conforto coming up is a little bit of a surprise, even if it does seem to be the right move.

Our hope now is that he goes on a one week hot streak, the Mets go 5-1 or whatever, and the Wilpons try to capitalize on the buzz by trading for Zobrist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom