"The expectation is to win every football game." Diaco | Page 4 | The Boneyard

"The expectation is to win every football game." Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"You want Bama? You can't handle BAMA! Son, we live in a world that has football teams, and those football teams are full of players that would whip our ." ...... Col. Jessup, USMC
NCAA Judge: ESPN Sports do you have anything further for this witness?

[Head Coach Saban defiantly gets up to leave the courtroom]

Head Coach Saban: Thanks, ESPN. I love Bristol.

ESPN: Excuse me. I didn't dismiss you.

Head Coach Saban: I beg your pardon?

ESPN: I'm not through with my examination. Sit down.

Head Coach Saban: Head Coach Saban

ESPN: What's that?

Head Coach Saban: I would appreciate it if he would address me as "Head coach Saban" or "Coach Saban" I believe I've earned it.

NCAA Judge: Defense counsel will address the witness as "Head coach Saban" or "Coach Saban."

Head Coach Saban: [to Judge] I don't know what the hell kind of sports programmimg you're running here.

NCAA Judge: And the witness will address this court as "Judge" or "Your Honor." I'm quite certain I've earned it. Take your seat, Coach Saban

ESPN YELLING: Coach Saban did you or did you not arrange for boosters to pay $200K to your QB's father?

Head Coach Saban Yelling Back: "Your damn right I did. How else can Bama & the SEC keep winning Football Championships?"

NCAA Judge: Will the NCAA enforcement division please put Bama on super secret probation for 5 years.now!

Head Coach Saban: What? What's happening here?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Yeah but it's an ironic chubby. Unless they actually live up to the ridiculous statements, then it will be a non-ironic chubby.
I'm not sure what that means but I lol'd.

Reaction Score
NCAA Judge: ESPN Sports do you have anything further for this witness?

[Head Coach Saban defiantly gets up to leave the courtroom]

Head Coach Saban: Thanks, ESPN. I love Bristol.

ESPN: Excuse me. I didn't dismiss you.

Head Coach Saban: I beg your pardon?

ESPN: I'm not through with my examination. Sit down.

Head Coach Saban: Head Coach Saban

ESPN: What's that?

Head Coach Saban: I would appreciate it if he would address me as "Head coach Saban" or "Coach Saban" I believe I've earned it.

NCAA Judge: Defense counsel will address the witness as "Head coach Saban" or "Coach Saban."

Head Coach Saban: [to Judge] I don't know what the hell kind of sports programmimg you're running here.

NCAA Judge: And the witness will address this court as "Judge" or "Your Honor." I'm quite certain I've earned it. Take your seat, Coach Saban

ESPN YELLING: Coach Saban did you or did you not arrange for boosters to pay $200K to your QB's father?

Head Coach Saban Yelling Back: "Your damn right I did. How else can Bama & the SEC keep winning Football Championships?"

NCAA Judge: Will the NCAA enforcement division please put Bama on super secret probation for 5 years.now!

Head Coach Saban: What? What's happening here?

200,000K is the asking price on a second strong OL! I would tell you the price for a starting QB, but then I would have to kill you. As far as super secret probation is concerned coach Saban (Satan to those in Aubarn and Red Stick) does not even think about it until it gets to the double super secret level.

Reaction Score
While the media experts (and many of you) view the bravado in Newport as a disingenuous rant, the reality is that this is a vastly superior team (and offensive system) compared to last years squad. It's the players that are saying it. They aren't deceiving themselves. They expect to win. Last year's game planning and execution was all about wings and prayers. This year it's about purposeful confidence and racking up victories. We will (like Donald Trump) surprisingly compete for the conference crown. Though we're not likely to win it just yet, we'll be in the discussion in November. That's a team I can believe in.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Going out on a limb here... but across the sport - on average players who expect to win are right half the time.

I am trying to come up with something that matters less than what people say at conference media days but it's not easy.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn +3 may be the best bet of the year. What exactly is it about this team you don't believe in?

The best spot to bet UConn this season is Navy. Middies on the road off ECU with two lookaheads in Air Force and Notre Dame on deck plus UConn already prepared for Army.

I'd say 5-19 with no evidence that the QB or offensive line positions are fixed are pretty compelling reasons to not be predicting great things.

Reaction Score
The best spot to bet UConn this season is Navy.

Depends on how close we stay with Missouri. After a 2-0 start and a close loss to overconfident Mizzou, the line may not be as favorable when we face the Middies. I like us best vs Nova getting 3. That's our coming out party and we will not lose that game. No way. No how.

Reaction Score
It's encouraging. And I now feel we will come out and punch Nova in the mouth. What I want to know, however, is how we take a punch. None of this matters if we fumble on the first play and go into a shell. It isn't going to go perfectly. We need 60 minutes of hell-bent aggressiveness every game. Nothing less will do.

Reaction Score
I think we need to establish some principals early on and one should be that fumbling is not allowed. First back who puts the ball on the ground takes a seat and doesn't get off the bench for 3 games. As John Heisman used to tell his players at the first practice of the season "Gentlemen. This is a football. Better to have died as a small boy than to fumble it."

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Despite the fact that Diaco and Edsall are very different on how they approach coaching, I have a feeling that the team on the field will be similar. Well disciplined, physically and mentally tough, smart and consistent. Defensively stout but not flashy. Similar to Edsall, I think BD's teams will beat the teams that they should beat. I think they beat Nova....and Army.....just like Edsall would have. To me the real question will be can he take it to the next level. Can the offense evolve to be competitive and consistent in games against top teams?

I think we see significant growth and I feel pretty good about beating Nova and Army.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Depends on how close we stay with Missouri. After a 2-0 start and a close loss to overconfident Mizzou, the line may not be as favorable when we face the Middies. I like us best vs Nova getting 3. That's our coming out party and we will not lose that game. No way. No how.

I don't know if the best approach to gambling is blind faith...

Reaction Score
We'll know a lot by midway through the Nova game. If the OL isn't able to handle the line of scrimmage and we can't get some chunk yards on the ground we could be in for a very long haul of a season. I think it is reasonable to assume that the OL is better than last season and they did improve during the course of last season and we may have two very good backs in Johnson and Newsome.

This won't be complicated. Verduci was brought in to run an offense based on running the football, play action and using mobile QBs. This is going to look a lot like Tyler Lorenzen's days. Folks will roll their eyes when Johnson rumbles for 3-4 yard gains, but let's hope we can do that, because if we can't, this season will be absolutely brutal and we will have the chance to lose every single game on the schedule.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
It's encouraging. And I now feel we will come out and punch Nova in the mouth. What I want to know, however, is how we take a punch. None of this matters if we fumble on the first play and go into a shell. It isn't going to go perfectly. We need 60 minutes of hell-bent aggressiveness every game. Nothing less will do.
Agressive play will be our key, hoping the new-found conditioning pays off when they punch us.

I am just looking for us to counter punch when it starts to go bad... There is no way that we don't see rough patches.. The key will be how we react to and survive them.

Reaction Score
Despite the fact that Diaco and Edsall are very different on how they approach coaching, I have a feeling that the team on the field will be similar. Well disciplined, physically and mentally tough, smart and consistent. Defensively stout but not flashy. Similar to Edsall, I think BD's teams will beat the teams that they should beat. I think they beat Nova....and Army.....just like Edsall would have. To me the real question will be can he take it to the next level. Can the offense evolve to be competitive and consistent in games against top teams?

I think we see significant growth and I feel pretty good about beating Nova and Army.

It's only one season, but there is no way in hell Edsall would have coached the way Diaco did last season. The turnovers alone would have prompted Edsall to sit half the offense. It is my sincere hope that Diaco talks like a crazy person, but will bring the discipline that Edsall instilled in the program before the stupid twins duck*ed it up.

Reaction Score
While the media experts (and many of you) view the bravado in Newport as a disingenuous rant, the reality is that this is a vastly superior team (and offensive system) compared to last years squad. It's the players that are saying it. They aren't deceiving themselves. They expect to win. Last year's game planning and execution was all about wings and prayers. This year it's about purposeful confidence and racking up victories. We will (like Donald Trump) surprisingly compete for the conference crown. Though we're not likely to win it just yet, we'll be in the discussion in November. That's a team I can believe in.
Until it is shown on the field, until the actual play calling and scheme is shown in a game, they are all just words.

EVERY team in the country feels vastly improved over the prior year before practice starts. Why? These are the same kids that are now a year older, a year further into the system, a year longer in the conditioning program. No player will ever say, I think we are going to be the same or maybe even worse this year.

Words are powerful. Actions produce results. BD needs actions to back up his words. Until then, all to judge is prior results.

And anyone that uses a serial bankruptcy abuser (or any politician) as an analogy for this team should have to do two a days until the season starts.

Reaction Score
I'm just pissed. There was no one on this board more vocal than me against the hiring of PP. It was a lazy hire pushed by the Big East football commissioner who got his first job from PP via their Cheshire ties. I was willing to give Diaco a shot. He was a "name" but he lost me after about three or four games when he stopped dealing with reality. His was one of the worst coached teams I had ever seen last year. There was little talent, but when fundamentals are terrible and play calling is terrible and schemes are poorly designed and clock management sucks....I don't want to hear about going undefeated and making the playoff. I want to hear about kids buying in, working hard, getting better. Even if he says those things, the headline will always be "We are going 12-0." Its idiotic. You are a three point underdog at home at FBS team in week one. Be humble and perhaps acknowledge you are lucky to have the job you have after the disaster of last season.

Not jumping on you here at all, but just to clarify, after watching the whole thing yesterday on the interweb, Diaco never said that we would go undefeated. Only that the expectation is to win every game (in my opinion, if you're an athlete/coach and think you're going to lose, you have a bigger problem than overinflated expectations). He also stated the standard get better every day line, along with him saying that he sees the investment the kids made (buying in)

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
It's like Diaco is operating from a "head coaching for dummies" book and is continually misapplying the key themes.

Step 1) Find unique ways to motivate your players. Creates Civil ConFLiCT. Gets Mocked.
Step 2) Establish a goal. National Champions. Get's Mocked.

It's why I can't buy in to the 180 in his vision this year. Its right out of the tear em down, build em up script. That's chapter 3.

My money is on Diaco ending up a parable himself. Would love to be wrong.

Reaction Score
I'd have no problem with Diaco making outlandish comments if he wasn't thanking the likes of BYU for being their partner in getting better.

If you're going to be bold talking man, go all in and never give an inch. He should just have said BYU got lucky, next.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
It's like Diaco is operating from a "head coaching for dummies" book and is continually misapplying the key themes.

Step 1) Find unique ways to motivate your players. Creates Civil ConFLiCT. Gets Mocked.
Step 2) Establish a goal. National Champions. Get's Mocked.

It's why I can't buy in to the 180 in his vision this year. Its right out of the tear em down, build em up script. That's chapter 3.

My money is on Diaco ending up a parable himself. Would love to be wrong.

I understand the skepticism but in fairness to Diaco and his "we expect to win every game" cliche, this is exactly what he said the plan was from the start. For that reason, I won't give him a hard time over it. I'd be far more concerned if he was still talking about just being ready to compete. To me that would mean he had already failed for this season and he knew it.

I don't expect them to go 9-3. I do expect them to be much better this year than they were last year. Given a year and a half, a decent developer of talent would have this roster ready to go at least 6-6 this year. We have no idea what kind of developer Diaco really is. I'll reserve judgment until halfway through the season. That is assuming they come out and beat Nova - lose that game and I'm pretty much throwing up the white flag.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm drinking the koolaid a little more than others... We really didn't show much on film last year guys...We looked lost out there ... Got no choice but to believe this HCBD at this point.. if we come out the gate 1-1 or 0-2 then you gotta believe he's nothing but a good car salesman....
I think this is going too far in the opposite direction. The first thing we need to see from Diaco is, can he coach? What he did with the passing game against USF made me question that. I think year 3 will really tell the story of what we have with this guy, but I'm hoping we can compete for 6 wins and a bowl bid, but more than anything I don't want to sit there wondering wtf I'm doing putting myself through such a frustrating afternoon.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Diaco's pulling a reverse Lou Holtz. Holtz had a team that was going to be favored in every game, often heavily, and used his press conference to build up their opponent so that after they won the perception was "hey that was a decent win". Presumably the comments plus his locker room talks were aimed to instill in his players that they need to take their opponent seriously and stay focused. With Diaco, his team is going to be the underdog in most games and he needs to get the fanbase engaged so they'll show up, and his players to buy in so that if they lose a couple games they don't give up like last year.

At least on media day, I prefer this enthusiastic approach to the typical kind of coachspeak, of which Bellichick is the extreme example. How it plays out over the season which in reality will probably result in a small number of wins, remains to be seen. It could backfire. But I think Diaco is thinking about the next 2-4 years and this is probably more for setting the tone for next year and beyond than it is for this year.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It's only one season, but there is no way in hell Edsall would have coached the way Diaco did last season. The turnovers alone would have prompted Edsall to sit half the offense. It is my sincere hope that Diaco talks like a crazy person, but will bring the discipline that Edsall instilled in the program before the stupid twins duck*ed it up.

To be honest...I don't remember how Edsall coached his first year. I would guess he made mistakes also. I agree with you that the Edsall that left UConn wouldn't have had those issues. But I wouldn't be surprised if he had similar issues his first year. And I wouldn't be surprised if BD grows the way RE grew.

I know that whaler likes to call it "blind faith" to think that the team will improve this year. But I really believe the team was getting better mid-year and injuries and lack of depth devastated any momentum that was built. It was just too much to overcome. It could happen again this year, but it feels like the team has better overall depth and is better positioned physically and mentally to withstand any challenges. It may not result in a bowl bid, but I really do think they will be more consistent and less frustrating to watch (both the team and Diaco).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
To be honest...I don't remember how Edsall coached his first year. I would guess he made mistakes also. I agree with you that the Edsall that left UConn wouldn't have had those issues. But I wouldn't be surprised if he had similar issues his first year. And I wouldn't be surprised if BD grows the way RE grew.

I know that whaler likes to call it "blind faith" to think that the team will improve this year. But I really believe the team was getting better mid-year and injuries and lack of depth devastated any momentum that was built. It was just too much to overcome. It could happen again this year, but it feels like the team has better overall depth and is better positioned physically and mentally to withstand any challenges. It may not result in a bowl bid, but I really do think they will be more consistent and less frustrating to watch (both the team and Diaco).

I think they will be better. Would be hard to be worse anyway.

But 6-6, 7-5 etc - until they show they can block and the QB shows he can play - that's just blind faith because there is zero evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom